What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Elections Thread - Senate, House, State, & Local Races (1 Viewer)

Looks like Elizabwth Warren is the first to announce- “exploratory commitee” whatever that means. She’s in. I don’t think she wins. I don’t know anyone that’s particularly excited by her, but we’ll see. 

Hey @squistion,  a proposal:  Since there's already multiple threads about the 2020 presidential race, and the 2020 congressional and gubernatorial races won't heat up for another 18 months or so, maybe we could make this a thread about 2019 elections?

For example there's a special election in the Virginia State Senate tonight. This would be a hold for the Dems or a flip for the GOP creating an incumbent in the very close race for control of the VA state house. Here's the ballotpedia entry on the Virginia 2019 elections.

The 2019 Virginia state legislative elections give Democrats a chance to break the 51-49 Republican majority in the state House and the 21-19 Republican majority in the state Senate. Because Gov. Ralph Northam (D) will serve through 2021, winning the House and the Senate will give Democrats a state government trifecta ahead of the post-2020 redistricting cycle. The Virginia State Legislature draws both the congressional and state legislative district lines
This is also the case in a couple other states.  From Wikipedia:

The 2019 state elections will impact the redistricting that will follow the 2020 United States Census, as many states task governors and state legislators with drawing new boundaries for state legislative and Congressional districts. Republicans will defend their "trifecta" (unified control of the governorship and the state legislature) in Kentucky and Mississippi, while Democrats will defend their trifecta in New Jersey. The other two states holding elections, Louisiana and Virginia, both have a divided government, meaning that each major party controls the governorship or at least one legislative chamber.
The Dem in Louisiana is the governor, who is also up for reelection in 2019 along with two other governors, one a very unpopular GOP governor in a red state.

People used to go crazy about this stuff in the early days of the Trump administration. We shouldn't take our foot off the gas just because the 2018 elections gave us a tiny bit of faith in American voters and accountability at the polls.

Hey @squistion,  a proposal:  Since there's already multiple threads about the 2020 presidential race, and the 2020 congressional and gubernatorial races won't heat up for another 18 months or so, maybe we could make this a thread about 2019 elections?
I was asked to start this thread because I wanted to post some non-presidential 2020 election news and there was no specific thread devoted to that. If this thread was changed to a 2019 elections thread, then at some point, either myself or someone else will just have to start another 2020 thread.

I don't think the 2019 local and gubernatorial races merit enough attention for their own thread, but if you feel otherwise, then please start a thread to cover that.

I was asked to start this thread because I wanted to post some non-presidential 2020 election news and there was no specific thread devoted to that. If this thread was changed to a 2019 elections thread, then at some point, either myself or someone else will just have to start another 2020 thread.

I don't think the 2019 local and gubernatorial races merit enough attention for their own thread, but if you feel otherwise, then please start a thread to cover that.
Fair enough, maybe I'll do that.

So is this the non-Presidential 2020 elections thread, then?

I'll assume so and put this here:

David Wright‏ @DavidWright_CNN

Can confirm that Stacey Abrams had separate meetings yesterday with both Chuck Schumer and DSCC chair Catherine Cortez Masto to discuss a possible U.S. Senate run in 2020 (GOP Sen. David Perdue up for reelection this cycle)
Good stuff.

Chuck Todd seems awfully concerned about Democrats election hopes this morning jeebus. All the crazy #### going on and he’s running with Democrats horse race coverage. 

Gabby Giffords' husband Mark Kelly just entered the Arizona Senate race. McSally is going to lose again 😂

Gabby Giffords' husband Mark Kelly just entered the Arizona Senate race. McSally is going to lose again 😂
Yeah, people love this guy. He's got the perfect profile for Arizona and a lot of Progressives will be on board, too (though they'll probably favor Gallego in the primary if he decides to run.) 

I heard that on the drive in this morning and was wondering if it could happen. Two blue senators from Arizona would be a really good get.

Both Democrats (Shalala & Murcacel-Powell) who narrowly flipped the Curbelo and retiring Ros-Lehtinen seats in the Miami area will face tough challengers.

But Shalala's challenger, former Spanish-language broadcast journalist Maria Elvira Salazar, got off to a rough start by (1) rolling out a mis-spelled version of her web-site ("elvria" instead of "elvira"), which was hijacked by a local democratic strategist who noticed the error, registered the domain and redirected it to Shalala's web-site and (2) initially registered  to run in the Muracel-Powell district instead of the Shalala district.   

Salazar: “We made a mistake. Mistakes happen and now we’re fixing it."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article233385717.html

Special election for NC-9 on Sept 10th. McReady (D) with a narrow lead but inside the margin right now

Good candidate entering the Congressional race in KS-02 (eastern KS that is not KC metro, including Topeka, Lawrence, and Pittsburg).  It’s a Republican district now but 2018 was a one-point race and the enthusiasm there was a big factor in flipping the governor’s mansion Blue.  Exactly the type of district the national party should be targeting and there wasn’t a challenger in the race until today.  ETA: on yeah, the incumbent, Steve Watkins, might not actually live in the district.  His registered address in KS-02 was a UPS Store.

The candidate is Topeka major Michelle De La Isla.  She’s awesome.  I met her several years ago when she ran Topeka Habitat For Humanity, before she ran for Topeka city council on her way to becoming mayor.  

I’d describe her as a Buttigeig Democrat, similar age and positions.  She’s a public option “Medicare For All Who Want It” on health care, and has fought for Medicaid expansion in Kansas.  My guess is she will campaign on that and housing/economic opportunity for the working class.

She’s not independently wealthy (was homeless for a while as a teenager) so she will probably need some PAC help to win, but she seems like a candidate who could be championed by a group like Emily’s List.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reportedly Pompeo not running for Senate seat. Per Reuters, courtesy of "sources close to McConnell"

This caveat should be noted:

With the deadline for filing to run in Kansas not until June, Pompeo has time to change his mind about entering the race.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think before impeachment, McConell could have been in real trouble.  Now he's got a lot of momentum.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/06/24/progressive-newcomer-jamaal-bowman-wins-upset-victory-over-longtime-new-york-rep-eliot-engel/

Progressive Newcomer Jamaal Bowman Wins Upset Victory Over Longtime New York Rep. Eliot Engel

Progressive insurgent Jamaal Bowman, a middle school principal and political newcomer, seized on a surge of late momentum to pull off an upset victory over long-time Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.), who landed in hot water for his absenteeism during the pandemic and for comments he made in the midst of the George Floyd protests.

KEY FACTS

Cook Political Report’s Dave Wasserman called the election in New York’s 16th district, which covers southern Westchester and the north Bronx, for Bowman on Wednesday morning, when he was leading Engel by 27 points, 62% to 35%.

Engel, the chair of the House Foreign Relations Committee, seemed to be on track for reelection to a 17th term in Congress, but his campaign was thrown off course by a series of missteps and a well-funded, energized progressive challenge from Bowman.

Engel was hit in May over revelations that he had not been present in his district for the coronavirus pandemic, despite claiming to have attended two events there.

That was further compounded by an incident at a news conference about vandalism at George Floyd protests, in which Engel, fighting for a chance to speak, told Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. “if I didn’t have a primary, I wouldn’t care.”

[...]

Booker making a valiant try for the slot in Kentucky. Will be very interested how he does with mail-in voting.

Amy McGrath has emerged victorious in the race to lose to Mitch McConnell in November. 
couldn't see either one of them winning, but i think McGrath makes the turtle spend more money, so that's good.  

Hickenlooper easily dispatches Romanoff in CO-Sen primary. Have to assume he’s heading to the Senate after taking care of Gardner in November. 

Otherwise the most interesting race is in CO-03, where a crazy woman is currently leading Rep. Tipton in the R primary. 

Hickenlooper easily dispatches Romanoff in CO-Sen primary. Have to assume he’s heading to the Senate after taking care of Gardner in November. 

Otherwise the most interesting race is in CO-03, where a crazy woman is currently leading Rep. Tipton in the R primary. 
Tipton has conceded from what I've seen.  I said it about Engel for the D's and I will say it here for the R's.  It's never a good thing when people who are by most accounts not exactly middle of the road are defeated by people further to the edges.  I think when Tipton took office he defeated a D incumbent but I have no idea what that district looks like now.  I'd suspect it's now ripe for a flip.

What’s up with elections taking a fortnight to determine the results.  Did they forget how to count votes?  Is it the mail-in voting?  
Apparently. You would think it would speed things up because they could start tabulating sooner with votes already in-house. But I guess that's not ow it works. Don't know if it is an issue of auto vs manual tabulation or what.

Joe Kennedy III has sunk to a new low in his campaign to unset incumbent U.S. Sen. Edward Markey.

The 4th District congressman accused Markey in an email blast of failing to recognize the needs of Massachusetts residents in Dana, Enfield and Prescott, among other towns.

Only one problem: Dana, Enfield, and Prescott have been at the bottom of the Quabbin Reservoir for decades.

The mighty Quabbin, the source of drinking water for Greater Boston, was completed in 1946, according to the state. Four towns were sunk to make room for the massive body of fresh water — Dana, in Worcester County, and the Hampshire County towns of Enfield, Greenwich, and Prescott.

Kennedy’s errant email — titled “Missing Markey” — was used to accuse the senator of a lack of local connections. The attack was launched Sunday on the day both candidates clashed in a televised debate.

Kennedy’s camp told the Herald Monday night naming the long-lost towns was a “silly error.”

Markey’s side hit back saying the 39-year-old challenger was out of line and out of touch.

“For a campaign that’s underwater itself, you’d think they would be more sensitive to the memory of those towns,” said John Walsh, Markey’s campaign manager. “He should at least know those towns don’t have any delegates.”
Lol 

Latest polling out of NH has the D incumbent up a billion in the Senate and the R incumbent up two billion for Governor. 

Fascinating dynamics in New Hampshire to see ticket splitting alive and well to such a degree. 

Governor would also be a very great recruit for the 2022 midterm if it’s under a Biden presidency. Would put the seat in play in a big way. 

Something I was thinking about this morning. If the election were today, it'd be a landslide. But its quite easy to see a scenario where we have a very close elction.

So lets say Biden wins a very close election. Highly probable Trump won't concede. He will probably have to have the SCt tell him he lost and the Secret Service drag him from the WH.

In that scenario - would he run again in 2024? He'd be 78. There's at least a decent chance, right?

Something I was thinking about this morning. If the election were today, it'd be a landslide. But its quite easy to see a scenario where we have a very close elction.

So lets say Biden wins a very close election. Highly probable Trump won't concede. He will probably have to have the SCt tell him he lost and the Secret Service drag him from the WH.

In that scenario - would he run again in 2024? He'd be 78. There's at least a decent chance, right?
No.  If Trump loses this election, I suspect he ends up in jail.

Interesting that you don't have the same philosophy in the protest threads. 

Anyway, this shouldn't be a problem. All the Democrats need to do is erect a few Confederate statues in the convention area, and Trump will send some officers over right away to protect them. :lol:
 You think that's a good look for the party that sees a racist boogeyman around every corner?

I mean, they're crying about everything Confederate and then they're going to erect Confederate statues?  That doesn't make sense at all.

Users who are viewing this thread