What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (2 Viewers)

timschochet said:
Per NBC, polling suggests the public is not impressed with Trump’s offer; they still blame him. 
Kind of hard for him to lie his way out of the video where he proudly says blame the shutdown on me.

I wonder if the house will vote on it or not.  It would be nice to tell Mitch to vote on the bills from the house first - but they may be overplaying their hand not voting on it.

I wonder if the house will vote on it or not.  It would be nice to tell Mitch to vote on the bills from the house first - but they may be overplaying their hand not voting on it.
I would be surprised if the Senate bill passes since it needs 7 Democrats to vote for it.

Economists around the world are extremely worried about this shutdown. Combined with Trump’s trade war they think that it’s going to lead to an economic slowdown...

Pelosi isn't responsible for Trump's immarity or stubbornness.  He came to the table today with a bunch of offers that were already refused. It was just a PR stunt because he was getting destroyed in polls. There's absolutely no reason millions of Americans have to suffer while this gets worked out. It's was on Trump and remains on Trump. 
Trump does not care about polls. 

I don't have a problem with this, but also let the Senate vote on the House bill - which after all was the Senate bill first. We know McConnell won't do that though.
:yes:

McConnell, by not putting a bill to a floor vote, is providing cover for Trump. If the Senate votes and passes a bill, Trump would then use his veto. 

The shutdown would be then be all his.

I agree. But a veto would be the albatross around Trump's neck.
But its the job of Congress to do the right thing for the American Public.  If Trump does veto it, the Congress still has the power to override the veto.  Which then gives everyone cover..IMO 

Trump gets to still say he did not Cave, and both Dems and Reps can say they did what's right for the American Public.   And lets be real.. there will be something else within a day or so that would move the needle.    

But its the job of Congress to do the right thing for the American Public.  If Trump does veto it, the Congress still has the power to override the veto.  Which then gives everyone cover..IMO 

Trump gets to still say he did not Cave, and both Dems and Reps can say they did what's right for the American Public.   And lets be real.. there will be something else within a day or so that would move the needle.    
But that is why it won't happen...McConnel doesn't care about doing the right thing.  He cares about catering still to Trump and his base.  If he allows a vote and a veto override, he hurts Trump and the consequences he doesn't want.

I agree. But a veto would be the albatross around Trump's neck.
They don't have the balls to do the right thing in lieu of keeping their jobs.  But if that ever happened, I'm not sure it'd matter.  He'd simply say "loyalists, I tried and got rejected" and they'd lap it up.

I don't think that's right.  I think the job of Congress is protect the POTUS at all costs, only if he/she is a member of their party of course, and nuts to the American people.

Trump plan to reopen govt., build border wall undercut by Supreme Court

with the Supreme Court refusing, at least during this term, to consider an administration appeal of lower court rulings allowing continued temporary protections for the immigrant youths, Trump may have lost his main negotiating point. Instead, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program established by then-President Barack Obama in 2012 lives on with or without approval by Congress.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1PG235

The Supreme Court just closed its docket, and DACA wasn’t on it. Which means the case won’t be heard at the very earliest until a year from now, no decision probably for 18 months.

Which makes Trump’s 3 year offer absolutely meaningless. 

The Supreme Court just closed its docket, and DACA wasn’t on it. Which means the case won’t be heard at the very earliest until a year from now, no decision probably for 18 months.

Which makes Trump’s 3 year offer absolutely meaningless. 
And then even if he wins, a six month wind-down like he wanted.  24 months.

So he's offering a handshake promise from a known liar on another year of DACA (which he may well not be around to enforce anyway) if the wall gets built?  Big offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize the SC fills out a whole year docket. I would have thought it was a shorter period, maybe 6 months or so.

And then even if he wins, a six month wind-down like he wanted.  24 months.

So he's offering a handshake promise from a known liar on another year of DACA (which he may well not be around to enforce anyway) if the wall gets built?  Big offer.
Plus I had posted an article early that said most of then could be covered by work visas until mid to late 2021.

Speaking at 3pm. I wont hold my breath that it's something substantial but hope for some movement to end this.
another huge announcement?  Can't wait.  It's like the boy who cried wolf...how long will it be until people just start ignoring his big announcements?

If he wanted to make a deal he could...he loves the shutdown and not paying people.  The problem is he's got white supremacy nuts like Miller in his ear so any deal coming from him isn't going to work because he's a zealot and as radical as anyone on immigration.  If he's really going to make a deal he has to move toward the middle which he hasn't come close to yet and has shown no desire to.   

another huge announcement?  Can't wait.  It's like the boy who cried wolf...how long will it be until people just start ignoring his big announcements?

If he wanted to make a deal he could...he loves the shutdown and not paying people.  The problem is he's got white supremacy nuts like Miller in his ear so any deal coming from him isn't going to work because he's a zealot and as radical as anyone on immigration.  If he's really going to make a deal he has to move toward the middle which he hasn't come close to yet and has shown no desire to.   
That was from Saturday.

Heard from an air traffic controller in my social circle today.

He is not doing well and has indicated that addition stress of not being paid is having a touch of an effect on him and everyone he knows at work.

Not a big fan of hearing that.

Pelosi isn't responsible for Trump's immarity or stubbornness.  He came to the table today with a bunch of offers that were already refused. It was just a PR stunt because he was getting destroyed in polls. There's absolutely no reason millions of Americans have to suffer while this gets worked out. It's was on Trump and remains on Trump. 
Trump does not care about polls. 
:lmao:

Come on, the guy plasters the Rasmussen poll at the top of his Twitter feed every time his approval rating hits 49%, and he just crowed about a recent poll showing an increase in Hispanic approval -- despite the fact that the very same poll showed a decrease in approval among whites and several other categories that make up Trump's core support.

Trump is a guy who says "I don't care about polls" and then obsessively talks about polls.

Heard from an air traffic controller in my social circle today.

He is not doing well and has indicated that addition stress of not being paid is having a touch of an effect on him and everyone he knows at work.

Not a big fan of hearing that.
tell him to suck it up...we're making America great here and there will have to be sacrifices for addressing problems that don't exist...

tell him to suck it up...we're making America great here and there will have to be sacrifices for addressing problems that don't exist...
I don't want to quote his actual social media post here, but one of our friends went over to check on him as a result of the post.  And at least what he said indicated that he was not alone in feeling that way.

Not really okay with that being a spreading mindset among ATC.

I don't want to quote his actual social media post here, but one of our friends went over to check on him as a result of the post.  And at least what he said indicated that he was not alone in feeling that way.

I agree totally and was making a bad joke at just how ridiculous the situation is....I just hope that it gets resolved soon and it doesn't actually get anyone killed.

I agree totally and was making a bad joke at just how ridiculous the situation is....I just hope that it gets resolved soon and it doesn't actually get anyone killed.
Food/water/medication inspection, ATC, that sort of thing scare the heck out of me in these shutdowns.  

From twitter (I didn't see this discussed yet) - 

NEW: McConnell and Schumer have agreed to put both the Trump shutdown bill and a Dem proposal, already passed by the House, up for votes on Thursday. Both would reopen government immediately. House bill would extend funding for all shuttered agencies including Homeland Security

NEW: McConnell and Schumer have agreed to put both the Trump shutdown bill and a Dem proposal, already passed by the House, up for votes on Thursday. Both would reopen government immediately. House bill would extend funding for all shuttered agencies including Homeland Security
what the changed and what took so long to get here?

I've seen nothing about this in the media.  Link?

I'm baffled by this.  Is the idea to have them both come up short of 60 votes to take some heat off Senate leadership?  I have to assume the House bill is more popular than the Trump one (full of poison pills) and also that Mitch wouldn't let the House one come to a floor vote unless he knew that would fail.

I only skimmed, but I see nothing about the House bill in there.  And there's a restriction on immigrants' ability to claim asylum.
Yeah the tweet is the only thing referencing the vote on the House bill.  The article is about the Trump/Senate bill (and explains why it will never pass).

Yeah the tweet is the only thing referencing the vote on the House bill.  The article is about the Trump/Senate bill (and explains why it will never pass).
I'll believe what the GOP says about a vote on the bill when they go on the record with it.  Until then, given what happened before the shutdown, it's a rumor.

Guy was interviewed here and said the added stress is  not helping him with his job

Users who are viewing this thread