What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (2 Viewers)

Strolling through my FB feed, I can see that, at least with the hard-core Trumpers, he's done a good job of convincing them that this is all on the Dems.

Not that this is surprising, but it's pretty impressive, really. It's like a game of how much baloney one man can make 30% of the population believe (well, not just one man, he's got some help). 

Strolling through my FB feed, I can see that, at least with the hard-core Trumpers, he's done a good job of convincing them that this is all on the Dems.

Not that this is surprising, but it's pretty impressive, really. It's like a game of how much baloney one man can make 30% of the population believe (well, not just one man, he's got some help). 
Propaganda is an amazing thing. It tends to have a strong influence on the weak minded. 

#MAGA

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great deal proposed by the Dems.   You can't claim they're soft on border security.    At this point, I wouldn't add one additional thing.   This is going to look terrible for Trump if he doesn't capitulate now.   

PhantomJB said:
According to Pew Research, the majority of the American people (53%) disapprove of Democratic leadership's handling of the shutdown (61% for Trump; 60% for GOP).

Just because you suck less than someone who really sucks doesn't mean you still don't suck.

Doing what your political base wants you to do...by seeking complete annihilation of the other side as a means to an end...does not equal doing the right thing for the American people. That's what the majority of Americans think and that is a fact.
Not meant as a reply directly to this post...but heres a link to Pew's press release for this poll.

http://www.people-press.org/2019/01/16/most-border-wall-opponents-supporters-say-shutdown-concessions-are-unacceptable/

psychobillies said:
I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:    I just don't agree that it's one side and one side only that's responsible.  It's not laziness either, its observational.  I know what Trump said about taking responsibility and obviously that's backfired on him because now the dems don't have to negotiate.  They can just sit back and play the blame game.  Good for them politically I guess, but it's not helpful and not much different than what trump is doing.  Pouting and holding their breath until they get their way.

My main and original point was that none of these jackwads care about the people affected by the shutdown.

I appreciate your responses.  Always do, but I'm going to bow out and go get high.  I feel like I'm repeating myself, and not helping anything here or even making my point come across.  
I can respect and appreciate that.  Sorry if I was a bit impassioned, but this is hurting my family and my community and when you see the cause and the path forward the way I do it gets a little dicey.  Hope you had a good one.

A WAPO article on IRS workers who are being called into work without pay. They are using a union contract provision that allows them to stay home due to hardship. This could delay tax returns for months. 

IRS Workers Staying Home Claiming Hardship
Between this and the Air Traffic Controllers - they should go out on strike and force an end to the shutdown.

Yes, I know they are not allowed to strike - but what is the government going to do?  Hire new employees with the promise of: "Long hours, No pay!"

If they all called in sick for a few days - shut down would end.

Ignoramus said:
Sorry, but a couple of easy questions for you:

1) What do you think the implications of a 100-0 Senate vote are in today's political climate? (For context, what are some other recent 100-0 votes that have been overruled?)

2) Who do you think is being disingenuous when one body of government votes 100-0 on a piece of legislation and an individual declares he's overriding that vote?
1) doesn't seem to matter. 

2) I've already said it but it left a pretty key provision out.  They had to at least suspect that maybe trump would override it, right?  Because he's been saying he would publically all along.

msommer said:
It seems to me that among the "certainly not Trump supporting"-"Boff sidez" crowd discussing politics here, there is a tendency to not follow events particularly closely...
Ridiculous.   I'm not even in here defending Trump, but I say that dems are using this as a political maneuver and the insults come out.  Whatever bud.  Go team! 

2) I've already said it but it left a pretty key provision out.  They had to at least suspect that maybe trump would override it, right?  Because he's been saying he would publically all along.
Nope. They passed it with Trump's support (not that it would have mattered, 100-0 is enough to override a presidential veto anyway).  Trump changed his mind at the last second after Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh got in his head.  Here's an article about him dropping the wall funding request and agreeing to the short-term continuing resolution (the thing that passed 100-0) and here's one about him reversing himself two days later, after it was passed.

Nope. They passed it with Trump's support (not that it would have mattered, 100-0 is enough to override a presidential veto anyway).  Trump changed his mind at the last second after Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh got in his head.  Here's an article about him dropping the wall funding request and agreeing to the short-term continuing resolution (the thing that passed 100-0) and here's one about him reversing himself two days later, after it was passed.
Ok.  That's all been pointed out.  Yet here we are.  

Bucky86 said:
Senator Cory Gardner (R-Colorado) will break with Trump and vote to reopen the government without wall money, per @denverpost.

Its starting to crumble.
has to happen quicker...he was always on the bubble...

pollardsvision said:

he doesn't need to do much...he just needs to say it and they'll believe anything...it's not impressive but rather it's depressing.

This is where this will hit people...though, some wills till be convinced its because of the democrats.

People waiting for a tax return that they count on...no bueno
Not to mention the usual bump in car sales, televisions, etc during tax return season. This delay will hurt a lot of businesses.

Oh Wilbur

<pointstoavatar>
For those who didn’t click on the link above...

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says he does not understand why federal employees who are furloughed or have been working without pay during the partial government shutdown would need the assistance of food banks.

“I know they are, and I don’t really quite understand why,” Ross said when asked on CNBC about workers who were getting food from places like shelters. “Because, as I mentioned before, the obligations that they would undertake, say borrowing from a bank or a credit union are in effect federally guaranteed.”

“So the 30 days of pay that some people will be out, there’s no real reason why they shouldn’t be able to get a loan against it,” Ross said, adding that there have been advertisements for financial institutions offering such bridge loans to federal employees.

Which could be the real reason for the shutdown. Undermine the justice system. 

#MAGA
I really hope the media doesn’t run with this angle too much. If he wasn’t already thinking of this as a benefit of the shutdown, they don’t need to put that idea in his head. He’s a toddler throwing a tantrum. If you keep telling a toddler that I can’t punish you if you keep kicking and sceaming, do you think he’s ever going to stop?

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says he does not understand why federal employees who are furloughed or have been working without pay during the partial government shutdown would need the assistance of food banks.

“I know they are, and I don’t really quite understand why,” Ross said when asked on CNBC about workers who were getting food from places like shelters. “Because, as I mentioned before, the obligations that they would undertake, say borrowing from a bank or a credit union are in effect federally guaranteed.”

“So the 30 days of pay that some people will be out, there’s no real reason why they shouldn’t be able to get a loan against it,” Ross said, adding that there have been advertisements for financial institutions offering such bridge loans to federal employees.

That really makes my blood boil.  Because when you look at the loosening of restrictions this administration has done on the Pay Day loan industry - and its criminal the way someone like Ross would suggest that Federal employees go into debt to meet basic needs.

So there will be two votes today in the Senate, and both will fail. After that, many pundits seem to think that a deal will be negotiated in Congress, without Trump’s input, and he will be forced to accept it. If true this would be a complete emasculation of his Presidency (although that’s already happened with the State of the Union.) Guess we’ll see. 

Are these loans fee and interest free?  Because if not, they’ve not just lost out on normal income, they’d have to pay more money just to stay afloat.

Ok.  That's all been pointed out.  Yet here we are.  
what he pointed out completely blows your view on this matter out of the water.  Trump supported what was passed, while you said they all knew he wouldn't sign it because he said so publicly.  Passing it was all for political show, you said.  turns out Trump supported the CR and it wasn't a just a political play by (at the time Republican led) Congress.  and your response is OK, yet here we are?  at the very minimum, a reasonable individual might reconsider his stance on this matter being 'both sides'.  One man is responsible for this shutdown, and he's now getting help by another man, the leader in the Senate.  this is not a both sides issue, at least not this time.  the sooner we all say that, the sooner this will get solved and the 2 people responsible for this might back down.  by playing the both sides card, you let Trump and McConnell off the hook and let this thing drag out longer.  

My sense is we are close to a tipping point.  Trump gambled and lost.  I think Tim is right - Congress will reach a bipartisan solution here, and it will be veto-proof.

what he pointed out completely blows your view on this matter out of the water.  Trump supported what was passed, while you said they all knew he wouldn't sign it because he said so publicly.  Passing it was all for political show, you said.  turns out Trump supported the CR and it wasn't a just a political play by (at the time Republican led) Congress.  and your response is OK, yet here we are?  at the very minimum, a reasonable individual might reconsider his stance on this matter being 'both sides'.  One man is responsible for this shutdown, and he's now getting help by another man, the leader in the Senate.  this is not a both sides issue, at least not this time.  the sooner we all say that, the sooner this will get solved and the 2 people responsible for this might back down.  by playing the both sides card, you let Trump and McConnell off the hook and let this thing drag out longer.  
At no point have I tried to let anyone off the hook.  

My sense is we are close to a tipping point.  Trump gambled and lost.  I think Tim is right - Congress will reach a bipartisan solution here, and it will be veto-proof.
If/when this happens his Twitter feed will be a must read.   :popcorn:

I hope for the sake of the workers impacted it will be soon.

Users who are viewing this thread