What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Dorsey the BEST talent evaluator in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Discuss.

To set it off, look no further than what he just pulled off for the Browns in ONE summer... Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, Callaway (I do think will be a good WR sooner than later)

Then, heard today he has had a rookie voted into the Pro Bowl for 3 consecutive years...

Have a look at the guys he drafted for KC as well (mahomes, hill etc)

..... Thoughts? Is there a more desirable/successful talent evaluator in the NFL? 

He's definitely up there. I'm not 100% sure about the make-up of the Browns FO outside of him, but I remember reading nightmare stories about working for him in KC (where he also drafted a lot of talent but couldn't in the end get it to perform). He was apparently a world class ####### to work for back then. He must have learned and grown to get another opportunity. 

I know Scot McCloughan spent time in the Browns FO giving his input, and is still there in some capacity (according to him on Twitter), and he's an excellent talent evaluator in that same old school football guy vien. That has to help as well. The Browns also pulled some talent from that collapsing GB FO a couple years ago if I remember. 

So they basically built a dream team talent evaluating FO and it has paid off for sure since they hit on QB. Love watching it, because it's the kind of FO brain trust I've wanted the Skins to put together my whole life. 

@SouIfly3, you want Gregg and Kitchens keeping their roles going forward?

Right now he is. They need to either keep the staff in tact or hire Bruce Arians as HC with the promise that when he retires, Kitchens gets it. they can't lose that guy.

Discuss.

To set it off, look no further than what he just pulled off for the Browns in ONE summer... Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, Callaway (I do think will be a good WR sooner than later)

Then, heard today he has had a rookie voted into the Pro Bowl for 3 consecutive years...

Have a look at the guys he drafted for KC as well (mahomes, hill etc)

..... Thoughts? Is there a more desirable/successful talent evaluator in the NFL? 
He did let Josh Gordon go, you might be on to something here.

he can cement it if he nails his (mid 1st round) pick this year. 

For the first time in AGES we wont be picking reaaaaaal early in the 1st

Pace is GM of the year. Sorry
Nope. The OP was asking about talent evaluator not GM of the year. 

I agree Pace would be a front-runner in THAT conversation but I take Ballard over Pace here. Everyone, except maybe Gruden knows how good Mack is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. The OP was asking about talent evaluator not GM of the year. 

I agree Pace would be a front-runner in THAT conversation but I take Ballard over Pace here. Everyone, except maybe Gruden knows how good Mack is.
I know what he was asking. BALLARD over Pace? Please. Not even close.  The Colts roster isn't in the same ballpark as the Bears. The Colts just have a healthy Luck now. But there's a handful of guys up there. Dorsey is definitely one of them.  

I know what he was asking. BALLARD over Pace? Please. Not even close.  The Colts roster isn't in the same ballpark as the Bears. The Colts just have a healthy Luck now. But there's a handful of guys up there. Dorsey is definitely one of them.  
I think this is overall a silly question, but I think you under estimate how awful the Colts roster was before Ballard got there. 

I think this is overall a silly question, but I think you under estimate how awful the Colts roster was before Ballard got there. 
Ballard built the best OL in the game right now after inheriting a bunch of turnstiles. Now he’s building the defense. He’s done well. 

Looking at that KC team’s drafted talent under Dorsey and now what he’s added to Cleveland ... he’s done a great job. 

I’d love to have that kind of NFL talent evaluator in Carolina. 

Everyone, except maybe Gruden knows how good Mack is.
I think that's unfair to gruden.  He took over a rebuilding project and was given an unheard of 10 years to run the team.  

Khalil Mack was on the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. Amari Cooper was on the fourth year of his contract.  They were both about to get paid huge contracts.  Mack is already making about 11% of the salary cap.  Add that to carr - whose contract Gruden inherited - and those 3 would have accounted for about 30 percent of the cap next year.  

There's also the human element.  The raiders weren't good on defense even with mack, and they were losing games while cooper put in inconsistent effort.  Blame gruden the coach if you want, but those players were worth more to the teams that they went to than they were worth on the raiders. 

Letting them go puts them firmly in the conversation for 1.1. They would have been a borderline playoff team with them, call it pick 10 or worse.  They not only got 3 firsts, they moved up from 1.10 to 1.1, which typically costs more than a future first.  

So in essence they got 4 or more first round picks and got out of cap hell. But they gave up an elite defensive player and a good receiver that they'll need to replace.

What are the strengths of the 2019 draft?  Pass rushers and receivers.  

They're going to replace one year of Mack with 5 years of Bosa, replace two years of cooper with five years of a blue chip receiver prospect, and still have another first round pick to wotk with this year and two next year.  

They'll be in a much better position cap wise, they'll go to a new stadium with new exciting players and a recognizable coach, and they'll be in position to start adding free agents after gruden has gotten to know who he wants to keep and who needs to be replaced.  

I applaud Chicago for getting him, but paying two first round picks and giving a monster contract to a player is hardly a bargain.  It's the kind of move you can only afford to make when your qb is on a rookie contract. 

Soulfly3 this guy is really good...doesn't hurt to have 136 picks in the first two rounds, so...LOL.I'm teasin' ya.

he screwed up  on the HC , tho, he should NEVER kept Clueless Hue Jackson, but that's a story for a rainy day. 

the NFL , over  the next 12-15  years, will be dominated by , *cough*,   Cleveland,  Jets, Bills, Colts, Houston.

As someone who has watched the Browns have coutless top draft selections, I know how easy it is to whiff on them. 

All I literally wanted from Dorsey was Mayfield and Chubb, since around January... And he delivered.

That draft thread was a hoot, man... There was a group of us e-cheering those picks on cuz I didnt shut up about them for like 4-5mos.

He had two picks in the top 5.  First overall.  Have to be a fool to mess that up.

And everyone knew Calloway was talented.  He’s just a season or two away from being suspended.   

Ballard built the best OL in the game right now after inheriting a bunch of turnstiles. Now he’s building the defense. He’s done well. 

Looking at that KC team’s drafted talent under Dorsey and now what he’s added to Cleveland ... he’s done a great job. 

I’d love to have that kind of NFL talent evaluator in Carolina. 
F ballard....he almost hired josh mcdaniels

Soulfly3 this guy is really good...doesn't hurt to have 136 picks in the first two rounds, so...LOL.I'm teasin' ya.

he screwed up  on the HC , tho, he should NEVER kept Clueless Hue Jackson, but that's a story for a rainy day. 

the NFL , over  the next 12-15  years, will be dominated by , *cough*,   Cleveland,  Jets, Bills, Colts, Houston.
Jimmy kept Hue. Not Dorsey. I dont know where that fake news stemmed from but this is not the first time I've read that and it needs to die.

I think the only thing Dorsey blinked on was taking Ward over Bradley Chubb. Since that decision allowed Nelson to slip past Denver to Indy, I am happy how it went down.

Picking the right QB, and then landing Nick Chubb was a major boon for the Brownies.

I just thought the chance to bookend Garrett and Chubb was a rare oppurtunity too good to pass up. I admit to being jaded by playing IDP for so long and that stud caliber corners like Ward are a valuable commodity in the NFL.

I think Cleveland, Denver and Indy were all happy how 1.04 - 1.06 played out.

Yeah the cowboys really fly under the radar. 

You guys are almost as obnoxious as the seahawk fans after they won. I can only imagine if you had a good team.
Oh yeah, we’re all talking so much smack. I keep reading obnoxious stuff like “we’re probably one and done but I’ll take it” and “The division was terrible, I don’t expect much”.

Please find it in your heart to forgive whatever the Cowboys did to you, at least for a few days. 

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
paying two first round picks and giving a monster contract to a player is hardly a bargain.  It's the kind of move you can only afford to make when your qb is on a rookie contract. 
This. And I'll add that I don't applaud Chicago for paying that. Pace pushed his chips in a year or two early. None of us (including Pace) knew if Trubisky was the truth or not at the time of the trade (and still don't), but Pace is firmly tethered to him now. Pace basically went all in pre-flop on a suited J-9. He's got to get lucky now. It can happen (Eli has 2 championships) but it was not the percentage play. 

Users who are viewing this thread