What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post) (2 Viewers)

Blood Orange has a new one out, worth a listen as usual if you like his stuff.

Also, check out the playlist in the mid-year draft (like I’m about to do) for some great stuff! Link

rr pretty interesting today...

b boys (new album)

warmduscher

bat for lashes

metronomy

white reaper

the hold steady

tropical #### storm

meatraffle w/ madonnatron

allah-lahs

the chats

iguana death cult

crushed beaks

sheer mag

RR boner:

new IDLES!

foals

angel olson

elbow

operator music band

wedding present (?!)

spoon (new album?)

and lots and lots of remixes for some reason. but new IDLES!

I was hoping the surfer blood single "hey ya" was a cover of that "hey ya"... it is. I'm surprised I haven't heard a cover of it previously- also a little underwhelmed here... I think the acoustical rhythm guitar needed to be electric and more crunchy.

Both of the new albums I had queued up for the daylight dog walk sucked (the bird and the bee, Volbeat) so I fell back to my RR.

A song called "James Bond" by Iggy Pop promised so much and delivered so little. 

Warmduscher bailed him out with a new song that's kind of Iggyish. 

HAIM released a song that ripped off the title from LFO and everything else from "Walk On the Wild Side" but it works. 

IDLES seems like they're running out of idea.

Angel Olsen's pop turn seems like a natural progression for her

Elbow - OK

Foals - meh

A bunch of unmemorable hip hop & R&B

I blame GPJ for Starcrawler's appearance on my RR.

I was hoping the surfer blood single "hey ya" was a cover of that "hey ya"... it is. I'm surprised I haven't heard a cover of it previously- also a little underwhelmed here... I think the acoustical rhythm guitar needed to be electric and more crunchy.
I’m pretty sure there is a really good acoustic cover of hey ya from several years ago

Both of the new albums I had queued up for the daylight dog walk sucked (the bird and the bee, Volbeat) so I fell back to my RR.

A song called "James Bond" by Iggy Pop promised so much and delivered so little. 

Warmduscher bailed him out with a new song that's kind of Iggyish. 

HAIM released a song that ripped off the title from LFO and everything else from "Walk On the Wild Side" but it works. 

IDLES seems like they're running out of idea.

Angel Olsen's pop turn seems like a natural progression for her

Elbow - OK

Foals - meh

A bunch of unmemorable hip hop & R&B

I blame GPJ for Starcrawler's appearance on my RR.
A lot of the same songs for me.

Iggy's music has lost a bit of it's lust for life. I still enjoyed the jb tune a bit.

That Warmduscher was last for me...and I liked it and them.

Don't you dis my all caps...even when it's an apt criticism.

I actually like that Foals tune...like them a bit harder.

IDLES ARE ON THE LOLLAPALOOZA LIVE STREAM (CH. 1) AT THE TOP OF THE HOUR
this hour?  

eta* By the way, I read the Chicago Reader/Advocate's review of the Stroke's set at Lollapalooza. Julian Casablancas was pictured wearing a D.R.I. shirt, muscle tone non-existent as ever, but this time twenty years later.  

He was apparently commenting about the volume of The Chainsmokers's set up the way on the top of the hill during the Strokes's set. 

If none of that sounds good, it didn't to this reader. YMMV. Thanks for the link in the draft, though. Never would have known otherwise. Really like the Strokes.  

Last edited by a moderator:
IDLES ARE ON THE LOLLAPALOOZA LIVE STREAM (CH. 1) AT THE TOP OF THE HOUR
Now you tell me.

First time out of the office before 10 to meetthe family out for dinner. Floppinho goes to his first sleep away camp on Monday (where Adam Levine went) and it's feeling last supperish, especially since I haven't seen either kid all week.

Now you tell me.

First time out of the office before 10 to meetthe family out for dinner. Floppinho goes to his first sleep away camp on Monday (where Adam Levine went) and it's feeling last supperish, especially since I haven't seen either kid all week.
It'll probably be similar to the hundred other Idles shows on YouTube.

It'll probably be similar to the hundred other Idles shows on YouTube.
It's funny, and I'll stop replying so much, but in watching the Fontaines D.C. shows on KEXP and various other places, I was struck by how nuanced the sound was and how one mic on a guitar somewhere turned a song from post-punk apocolypto to a song with almost almost a jammy riff running through it. I'll try and find it. I think it's a live version of Boys In The Better Land. 

Anyway, I've given most of the albums in this here thread a whirl, and that strikes me as clearly as AOTY.  

I read an article on him in either the NYT or the Post. I think it was linked from this thread. This is a sad end to a story I was just beginning to follow. 

RIP. 

After learning about them as the opening band for the Spoon/Cage/Beck show I've been listening to the Starcrawler album over and over and really like it.

One more thing on Berman, as someone who doesn’t care much about or even notice lyrics that often, his words really stood out. “All my favorite singers couldn’t sing” always really resonated with me and kinda sums up my feelings on vocalists. 

One more thing on Berman, as someone who doesn’t care much about or even notice lyrics that often, his words really stood out. “All my favorite singers couldn’t sing” always really resonated with me and kinda sums up my feelings on vocalists. 
I am not a rock vocals guy, either, in general. Unless they really stand out, so that is indeed a bit profound. What a shame -- both his passing and backstory.

I was listening to Ladytron's newer release from 2019 and mildly enjoying it. I don't think they'll ever hit their apex of Witching Hour, but that said, Far From Home is a wonderful surprise as a single. Very dreamy.

Gets good-to-decent reviews from the usual suspects. NPR with a solid write-up. P'fork 7.7. Sometimes these sites pay respects to slept-on niche legends and all-around excellent groups that should have had greater pop success, IMHO. 

eta and another related note* 2019 was a good year for other techno legends. The Chemical Brothers cut a really solid album.  I'm listening to it now. Some twists from their older stuff, but pretty much a return to their heyday in the mid-to-late nineties, and really, for all of the trashing of the nineties, there were some utter gems that came out of the woodwork in that decade with respect to disco and punk. People joked that consciousness-wise, it was the sixties turned upside down, but those two seventies music genres saw excellence rise to the fore again. Pop was a disaster, but punk and dance thrived. Perhaps the inevitable pop/rock fusion of the aughts was a natural outgrowth. Anyway, I digress...

The album's really good. Nothing is going to touch Surrender or Dig Your Own Hole or Exit Planet Dust, but these songs are a pretty good ROI (yeah, I did that) for a band signed in the early nineties.

there's been so much post-punk revival with the leading bass and plunky sqwanky guitars and dissonant harmonies... even though I wub the genre, I'm getting to overload mode.

that said, about to dive into the RR... things that look interesting:

sigur ros

ceremony

pixies (I realized recently that like most "classic" music, I've reached my overload threshold with them- still love the songs and band, but have heard it all too much and need a prolonged break)

amason

city calm down

bat for lashes

jacuzzi boys (singles have been ramping up- hopefully a new album soon)

wiley (spotify hasn't had a wiley tune for me in months!)

kadaver

!!!

mystery jets

surfer blood (looks like another cover, after last weeks hey ya, we get I melt with you this week)

there's been so much post-punk revival with the leading bass and plunky sqwanky guitars and dissonant harmonies... even though I wub the genre, I'm getting to overload mode.
I can see that. I haven't followed enough new music to emulsify myself, even.

sigur ros
A band that always should have been up my alley, but wasn't in the end. 

pixies (I realized recently that like most "classic" music, I've reached my overload threshold with them- still love the songs and band, but have heard it all too much and need a prolonged break)
Lou Barlow is still putting out new stuff! 

Users who are viewing this thread