What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Democratic Presidential Straw Poll (1 Viewer)

Pick One

• Total voters

Juxtatarot

Footballguy
I know there are lots of other threads on this topic and I'm really not looking for debate here.  I'm just curious how the forum differs from other polling and also which posters back which candidates at this point.

Obviously not all these candidates will end up running but let's pretend they will.

I like several of them, and would be fine with practically any of them. But at this point, so early in the game, I will ignore all electoral issues and choose the person which I perceive comes closest to my own point of view on the issues.

That would be Michael Bloomberg.

I'm about as close to a one-issue voter as possible in 2020, and that one issue is defeating Trumpism- both the man and to a lesser degree the damage he's done to the country.  So I picked the person I think is best suited to beat him (Klobuchar), rather than the ones who most closely match my positions on the other issues.

My prediction- the biggest difference between your PSF straw poll and all the polls that have been published recently will be the level of Biden support.

I like several of them, and would be fine with practically any of them. But at this point, so early in the game, I will ignore all electoral issues and choose the person which I perceive comes closest to my own point of view on the issues.

That would be Michael Bloomberg.
This worries me. So many names and we could have a rubric where Dems end up with the GOP’s situation from 2016 allowing a populist to sneak through. 

This worries me. So many names and we could have a rubric where Dems end up with the GOP’s situation from 2016 allowing a populist to sneak through. 
I think it's very likely, unfortunately.  Perhaps not a full blown populist, but there will very likely be strong populist elements to the winning campaign.  They will be hard to resist.

O'Rourke and Klobuchar seem, to me, to have the best combination of competence, character, genuineness, pragmatism, intelligence, and reasonableness.

Harris and Booker also score high on those qualities, but both seem a little more politically calculating (hence a little less genuine) from what I can tell so far ... though my familiarity with any of these candidates is pretty limited as of now. (I should probably add Gillibrand to this group as well.)

I have no interest in Biden, Sanders, or Warren in the primary, but would certainly vote for them in the general.

I think nominating Holder would be a tactical mistake, regardless of his merits, because he's too closely associated with Obama in the eyes of those who thought Obama was the Antichrist. (I.e., I think he'd drive Republican turnout.)

I don't know enough about the others to have much of an opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
O'Rourke and Klobuchar seem, to me, to have the best combination of competence, character, genuineness, pragmatism, intelligence, and reasonableness.

Harris and Booker also score high on those qualities, but both seem a little more politically calculating (hence a little less genuine) from what I can tell so far ... though my familiarity with any of these candidates is pretty limited as of now.

I have no interest in Biden, Sanders, or Warren in the primary (but would certainly vote for them in the general).

I think nominating Holder would be a tactical mistake, regardless of his merits, because he's too closely associated with Obama in the eyes of those who thought Obama was the Antichrist. (I.e., I think he'd drive Republican turnout.)

I don't know enough about the others to have much of an opinion.
I think this is very close to my thinking right now.

I have no interest in Biden, Sanders, or Warren in the primary (but would certainly vote for them in the general).

:hifive:

My prediction- the biggest difference between your PSF straw poll and all the polls that have been published recently will be the level of Biden support.

Thanks. Can you elaborate on Biden in general and how you think his support here differs from elsewhere?

Right now this is a toss-up between Booker and Beto so I went with the one from my home state.  However once the debates start I may change my mind completely.  

I really want to see these folks on the issues, how they handle questions and the rigors of the campaign, what kind of campaigns they run, etc.

Way too early to know which way I lean in any meaningful way.

If I had to pick based purely on what I know about them right now, I'd go with Biden, but it's not exciting, rather safe. I know he could handle the job, he could rebuild the government and populate it with competent people, and he is relatively progressive.  I think he could also win.

But, he's old, and of a generation that needs to step aside and let the newer folks lead.  I'm just worried that the newer folks aren't up for the challenge.  I worry that Bernie wouldn't be a good president, despite agreeing with him on tons of policy issues. 

I like Elizabeth Warren on some issues, but on others I'm more indifferent.

So yeah, safe bet at this point would be Biden...but really it's just the safe pick after 4 years of Trump and the devastation he's doing to our country.  Putting someone in there with Biden's experience could help us rebuild.  

Biden/Beto ticket would be unstoppable and the "sure thing."  A mix of the old paving a path for the new.

Dems try and go in another direction and they are leaving the door open for Trump IMO. 

Hmmm, I wish this poll could have been restricted to Democrats only, as Kloubuchar is currently leading with 28% and I haven't seen close to that if the national polls that have been run, plus I doubt it is just 2.22% of those here, who say won't vote in the Democratic primary but still want to see the results. We have seen a lot of love from some Republicans in this forum shown for the bland Klobuchar and I think that is reflected in the numbers.

Hmmm, I wish this poll could have been restricted to Democrats only, as Kloubuchar is currently leading with 28% and I haven't seen close to that if the national polls that have been run, plus I doubt it is just 2.22% of those here, who say won't vote in the Democratic primary but still want to see the results. We have seen a lot of love from some Republicans in this forum shown for the bland Klobuchar and I think that is reflected in the numbers.
Looking at who voted for her, I recognize most of the posters as liberal or liberal-leaning.  

Looking at who voted for her, I recognize most of the posters as liberal or liberal-leaning.  
You are right, I didn't check that before I posted. I stand corrected. Seems an outlier to me as I had not seen her among the front runners in any poll.

Biden/Beto ticket would be unstoppable and the "sure thing."  A mix of the old paving a path for the new.

Dems try and go in another direction and they are leaving the door open for Trump IMO. 
That's how I see it too. Seems like a slam dunk no brainer. But I'm a novice. What does interest me is why people don't all agree Biden is a slam dunk. 

Maybe we should do a thread just for Biden so as not to derail this one. 

Can you folks that follow this break it down? Even more to this past election. Following the incredible popularity of President Obama, wouldn't Biden for President in the 2016 race have been a natural? What was the reasoning there? 

That's how I see it too. Seems like a slam dunk no brainer. But I'm a novice. What does interest me is why people don't all agree Biden is a slam dunk. 
He's a solid but not exciting choice.  He doesn't represent the younger generation, nor does he energize folks with messages like Bernie gives.

He's also gaffe-prone, which after Trump may not mean as much, but he does have a lot going for him.  Was a huge mistake not having him run in 2016, but understandable due to family tragedy.

Can you folks that follow this break it down? Even more to this past election. Following the incredible popularity of President Obama, wouldn't Biden for President in the 2016 race have been a natural? What was the reasoning there? 
Biden would've been natural in 2016 but for two things: Hillary's presumptive victory and his son's death from brain cancer.  He was distraught and unable to give a campaign his all, and Hillary was widely perceived as highly likely to win.  So he stayed out.  I'd have voted for him happily, vs voting for Hillary with major reservations.

Several factors, his age and he has some baggage from statements and gaffes he has made over the years that weren't brought up in 2016 because he wasn't running, but will be in campaign adds against him and during the primaries. His critics here (or rather in the FFA) during the Obama years considered him more of a joke than a someone we should take seriously and I would expect that to be the narrative again.

I'm about as close to a one-issue voter as possible in 2020, and that one issue is defeating Trumpism- both the man and to a lesser degree the damage he's done to the country.  So I picked the person I think is best suited to beat him (Klobuchar), rather than the ones who most closely match my positions on the other issues.
Same thought process is why I went for Biden.  I like what I see from Klobuchar and I was a Bernie guy in 16, but I think we are going to need someone experienced to rebuild the executive branch and our foreign relations.  Nobody has the experience Biden brings to the table as a veteran of the Senate and 8 years as a very active VP.  I will probably be to the left of him on most issues.

I would put James Comey and Hildog on there too.  Comey because that will probably be a thing and Hillary because she can’t let go.  

I voted as an Independent (former Republican) with every intention of voting Democrat if Trump, Pence or any other freedom caucus member is the candidate in 2020.

I like the Biden/Beto ticket too. Booker would also interest me. My biggest hope is that the Democrats understand what's at stake and they don't do any dirty political stunts towards each other. And as soon as they are out, they need to all support the remaining people 100%. Especially whoever the runner-up is. I really hope Sanders doesn't run. He's way too divisive within his own party. We can't go through that again and have four more years of Trump.

I like the Biden/Beto ticket too. Booker would also interest me. My biggest hope is that the Democrats understand what's at stake and they don't do any dirty political stunts towards each other. And as soon as they are out, they need to all support the remaining people 100%. Especially whoever the runner-up is. I really hope Sanders doesn't run. He's way too divisive within his own party. We can't go through that again and have four more years of Trump.
I like the ticket too, but I find it hard to imagine how it would come to be.

As much as I like Biden, I just don't see him winning the primaries.  12 years ago, he came in 5th, behind Obama and Hillary in Iowa.  Is he going to be a better candidate 12 years later in his 70's?  He's a good guy, I like his politics and style, but I'm just not convinced he will win primaries.  

So although it'd be a compelling partnering politically, I find it hard to understand how a Beto/Biden ticket would ever come to be, considering I find it most likely that it happens with Beto leading the ticket.  In that case, why would he want to pick Biden?

FWIW, I think Al Franken would've made a pretty stellar president.

I hope he's able to make a comeback.

Klobuchar for me.  She's the perfect Trump antithesis, which checks the first box on my list - she's the most electable.  Her home-field advantage in Iowa should allow her to devote more attention to the early California primary (California is voting early in 2020 primary, right?).  There's no way she loses in Iowa, if she runs.

Now, pardon me while I whip out my bullets.

• Beto: Probably my #2 on this list. While I think he's a little too green around the gills to run for POTUS in 2020, it's certainly possible he an leap frog the field (Obama says hi!).  Probably the best fund raiser out of all the possibilities, which I think makes him a shoe-in for VP candidate, if he does not get the nod.
  • Bloomberg: A reasonable choice.  I consider his NYC mayoral experience a big plus because it's critical that the next POTUS has the chops to step in on day 1 and start putting out Trumpster fires.  A youthful VP mate is probably best.
  • Biden: While I want to discount Mr. Joe, he's the best qualified to restore America's standing on the international stage.  And he could totally steal the news cycle from Trump's tiny hands by choosing Obama as his VP candidate. 
  • Harris:  Like her a lot, but I think her California Democrat demography hurts her, in a Nancy Pelosi kind of way.  She's my dream Attorney General though.
  • Warren: Nope, her best shot was 2016.  She's my dream Senate Majority Leader.
  • Bernie: Guy I'd most want to have a beer with, otherwise nope.
  • Booker: I like nearly everything about this guy, but I just don't see him emerging from the field. He probably gets framed as the most corporate of this entire bunch.  But man, his speeching is second only to Obama, and just barely.  Probably on several VP short lists.
  • Sherrod Brown:  Another who will crack top-5 of likely VP candidates.
  • Castro:  The "Vera" of politics.  Never see the guy, but here he is.
  • Gillibrand: Would be the most unauthentic contender. She's ranked #1 in a tier all to herself in my "hold your nose" rankings.  I'd support her nomination to Secretary of HUD.
  • Hickenlooper: Future Czar of Legalized Weed.
  • Holder:  Keeping it simple. Too polarizing.  Dream POTUS Chief of Staff.
Lots of 'B's!

Not Listed:

• Tulsi:  Big fan (although I do need to filter the storyline about her and Syria; not sure what the facts are).  UN Ambassador.
  • HRCMy thought exactly.
  • Gillum:  Needs seasoning.
  • Stacey Abrams: Would love to see her replace Tom Perez.
  • Al Franken: My bold pick for Secretary of State.
  • Mitch Landrieu:  Personally, I prefer Klobuchar/Landrieu over Klobuchar/Beto.  Landrieu is the most likable politician, period.  I'd love to see him help pick off a red southern state, or two. 
ETA: James Webb:  Still my guy.  Would be the most over-qualified Secretary of Defense, ever.

Maybe we should do a thread just for Biden so as not to derail this one. 

I spent a couple hours in a small room with Joe Biden about 24 years ago. I wasn’t nearly as impressed with him as he was with himself. He came off, at least to me, as extremely pompous and arrogant and not nearly as smart as he thought he was. He seemed friendly enough, but just really full of himself. Maybe that’s normal for a Senator. I haven’t spent much time with other professional politicians, so I don’t know. But just on a personal level, I didn’t take to him at all.

(Completely independent of the above, I also knew his son Hunter from college. We were in the same dorm freshman year, and I had a few classes with him. Unlike his dad, Hunter struck me as very humble and unassuming.)

Policy-wise, I think Biden would be good enough. But I can’t be enthusiastic about him overall.

I spent a couple hours in a small room with Joe Biden about 24 years ago. I wasn’t nearly as impressed with him as he was with himself. He came off, at least to me, as extremely pompous and arrogant and not nearly as smart as he thought he was. He seemed friendly enough, but just really full of himself. Maybe that’s normal for a Senator. I haven’t spent much time with other professional politicians, so I don’t know. But just on a personal level, I didn’t take to him at all.

(Completely independent of the above, I also knew his son Hunter from college. We were in the same dorm freshman year, and I had a few classes with him. Unlike his dad, Hunter struck me as very humble and unassuming.)

Policy-wise, I think Biden would be good enough. But I can’t be enthusiastic about him overall.
Thanks Buddy. That's super interesting. I do wonder sometimes about the personal connection compared to the public perception. On that note, I have a friend who was able to spend some time with President Clinton in a small group setting. Said he went in diametrically opposed on just about every issue. My friend is one of the smartest and most personable and persuasive guys I know. And he said he was stunned by how personable and charming Clinton was. Like it was almost a "Mowgli don't look into Kaa's eyes" thing. Said it was seriously amazing. 

Biden: While I want to discount Mr. Joe, he's the best qualified to restore America's standing on the international stage.  And he could totally steal the news cycle from Trump's tiny hands by choosing Obama as his VP candidate. 

That's the first I'd heard anyone mention that. Wow. That would be wild. 

Users who are viewing this thread