What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (3 Viewers)

I'm way down on this guy compared to the average--and I still really like him.

ESPN and fantasy pros have him as a top 10 back.  Dodds has him as RB 8/9 depending on ppr/non on the top 300 list.  

I see a really talented guy in a meh offense.  He was on pace for 1400 yards rushing, 200 yards receiving.  With Richard being back and Bowden drafted--I have a hard time seeing him have a major dent in the passing game this season.  I don't think he'll be a TD monster.  I like Sanders and Drake over him.  I'm wishy washy on Aaron Jones, but it's close.  If Roethlesberger is back, I think Conner could realistically outperform him.  Conner's got the injury concerns, but Jacobs missed 3 games last year himself.  

Not sure why more are not high on this guy. Ruggs alone will open the the lanes further. Waller, Ruggs, Williams, Edwards (who I love long term) and this squad has improved greatly. The only odd addition is Bowden. Not sure what they have planned there. All I know is this guy ran real well against stacked boxes and should have more breathing room this year. May not see the pass volume that we would like but seems like a good a bet as many to be a top ten back.

Until he catches passes he's an RB2 being priced as an RB1--in PPR at least

And considering the Raiders extended a pass catching RB and then added another one with good draft capital--beyond now having actual receivers to throw to (unlike last year when you'd think he should have been throw to)--I don't see it happening

Until he catches passes he's an RB2 being priced as an RB1--in PPR at least

And considering the Raiders extended a pass catching RB and then added another one with good draft capital--beyond now having actual receivers to throw to (unlike last year when you'd think he should have been throw to)--I don't see it happening
Maybe your right. He balled his rookie year on an ill-talented team though. He has pass catching ability and the two year extension to Richards is not ridiculous as everyone needs a sound number two. Washington is gone and I think running lanes will be wider this year. Even as a 7-9 squad they had a run ratio that ranked 8th in the league. Defense should be mildly improved and pass weapons will help the run game. He has a chance to contend for the rushing title IMO.

Maybe your right. He balled his rookie year on an ill-talented team though. He has pass catching ability and the two year extension to Richards is not ridiculous as everyone needs a sound number two. Washington is gone and I think running lanes will be wider this year. Even as a 7-9 squad they had a run ratio that ranked 8th in the league. Defense should be mildly improved and pass weapons will help the run game. He has a chance to contend for the rushing title IMO.
Not impossible at all. He is a very skilled runner--not quite as good as Henry or Chubb--but could certainly get there. It's just a ceiling capper in PPR. All the top half RB1s catch passes.

I don't think anyone would dispute that Derrick Henry and Nick Chubb are better players than Austin Ekeler, yet the latter finished ahead of both in PPR and Chubb in half PPR

And I agree he has the ability to catch passes. That was his primary role early at Alabama

But I disagree that the Raiders are ill talented. I hate them but their OL is very good (and was last year as well) and now so are their weapons. Their defense has some really good young pieces too and has gotten a major infusion of talent in FA and the draft

Now they just need to fix Carr (won't go into too much detail on him in this thread)

Raiders 2020 player props: Jacobs will sail over yards total

Excerpt:

Josh Jacobs - Over/Under 1,575.5 scrimmage yards

Over: -115
Under: -115

Jacobs didn't disappoint in his rookie season. Over just 13 games, he netted 1,150 yards and seven scores on the ground and 160 more yards through the air.

Las Vegas' game script is tailor-made for Jacobs.

Teams consistently trailing typically air it out, but the Raiders were a different story. The club ranked No. 27 in the NFL last season in average scoring margin (-6.6) yet clocked in at No. 8 in run-play frequency. That should scare any bettor wanting to go under on Jacobs' total, considering the number of touches he has in store.

The offense is going to filter around the running back, and the coaching staff showed last season that it wants to keep the ball on the ground, whether ahead or behind.

This is a layup.

Pick: Over

Not impossible at all. He is a very skilled runner--not quite as good as Henry or Chubb--but could certainly get there. It's just a ceiling capper in PPR. All the top half RB1s catch passes.

I don't think anyone would dispute that Derrick Henry and Nick Chubb are better players than Austin Ekeler, yet the latter finished ahead of both in PPR and Chubb in half PPR

And I agree he has the ability to catch passes. That was his primary role early at Alabama

But I disagree that the Raiders are ill talented. I hate them but their OL is very good (and was last year as well) and now so are their weapons. Their defense has some really good young pieces too and has gotten a major infusion of talent in FA and the draft

Now they just need to fix Carr (won't go into too much detail on him in this thread)
Sorry for the confusion, I think the Raiders are much improved this year (much less talented last year). I agree about the pass catching concern, but even a small uptick along with a surge in rushing production could produce a great FF year for Jacobs,

Didn't the coaches say they were going to get him more involved in the passing game? I know that doesn't mean a lot, but even a small uptick would be noticeable.

Yeah I think he's being slept on a bit. A first round pick, team is committed to him, had a pretty nice rookie season, and most people are like meh....he won't catch passes. I don't see any reason why his receiving numbers won't tick up a bit. Strong buy for me and I'd have him right around Mixon/Dalvin/Chubb (I know that's not a hot take but I think he's often ranked a tier below those guys).

RushHour said:
Yeah I think he's being slept on a bit. A first round pick, team is committed to him, had a pretty nice rookie season, and most people are like meh....he won't catch passes. I don't see any reason why his receiving numbers won't tick up a bit. Strong buy for me and I'd have him right around Mixon/Dalvin/Chubb (I know that's not a hot take but I think he's often ranked a tier below those guys).
I don't think he'll have a ton of passing game work, and I'm down on him for that reason.

They brought back Richard.  They drafted Bowden who is an electric athlete in space.  I don't see big passing numbers.  In PPR, he'll be limited.  

That being said, I think he compares nicely to Chubb.  I think Hunt puts a cap on Chubb's passing game work.  But I still think Chubb is a back end RB1.  I can see Jacobs with similar volume.  I worry that the TD's won't be as high as Chubb's.  

I also think actions speak louder than words. Bringing Richard back and drafting Bowden tells me one of two things: Either the Raiders aren't confident in Jacobs's ability to stay healthy, or they don't trust him in pass pro or as a catcher of the football.

If I'm in a PPR league, that gives me pause. 

I don't think he'll have a ton of passing game work, and I'm down on him for that reason.

They brought back Richard.  They drafted Bowden who is an electric athlete in space.  I don't see big passing numbers.  In PPR, he'll be limited.  

That being said, I think he compares nicely to Chubb.  I think Hunt puts a cap on Chubb's passing game work.  But I still think Chubb is a back end RB1.  I can see Jacobs with similar volume.  I worry that the TD's won't be as high as Chubb's.  
I like this logic.   Jacobs is a very good RB but he isn’t going to be a be a bell cow.    He is a strong RB2 and I would take Chubb over Jacobs all day.  

Raiders have the glitz of Las Vegas but lack star power beyond Josh Jacobs

Excerpt:

Josh Jacobs had a great rookie season, and his current ADP (16.8) is setting some high expectations for Year 2. Do you believe he’ll deliver, or are you expecting a sophomore slump?

Matt: As a rookie, Jacobs was already one of the best pure runners in the league. He ranked fourth among backs with 150-plus carries by averaging 2.82 yards after contact per rush and was top-eight in total broken tackles. I don’t expect much of a drop-off or slump in his play. However, there is some worry about his passing game role. He averaged just 2.2 targets per game in 2019. Even more troubling, he ran 147 routes on the season, trailing Jalen Richard for the team lead (204). DeAndre Washington’s departure (127 routes) will send a few more reps his way but if Richard, who was retained this March via a two-year, $7 million deal, continues to get sizable burn as a receiver, that will hinder Jacobs’ ceiling. His draft slot as a Round 2 back takes some of that risk into account.

Dalton: Jacobs is a fine-looking young back who just led the NFL in broken tackles and elusive rating as a rookie, but he won’t be on any of my fantasy teams at his ADP. He recorded a modest 20 catches on 27 targets, and while there’s no reason to think he couldn’t perform well as a receiver with more work, all signs point to Las Vegas keeping him in a two-down role, as the team re-signed Jalen Richard and drafted Lynn Bowden in the third round. Jacobs also has durability concerns after dealing with injuries in college (when he totaled just 251 carries) and played hurt from Week 7 on as a rookie (while missing three games). Moreover, Jacobs’ touch share saw a significant decrease when the Raiders trailed last season, and they have one of the toughest schedules in 2020. To be clear, I have Jacobs ranked as a second-round pick, but as a two-down back with health concerns on a questionable team, his top-10 RB status among the expert consensus is a stretch.

Andy: If you’re looking for a candidate to make the jump into the overall top-5 in 2021 fantasy drafts, here’s your guy. He was stellar as a rookie, a missed-tackle machine who averaged 4.8 YPC and 88.5 rushing yards per game. The team has made it clear that Jacobs’ receiving responsibilities will increase in his second season, and I don’t think that talk is simply offseason sunshine. He was a gifted pass-catcher at Alabama. Jacobs actually ranked third in the league last year in rushing YPG — ahead of McCaffrey, Zeke, Cook and most others — so he’s a clear threat to challenge for a rushing title in a healthy season. If he can run as effectively as he did in his rookie year while averaging a modest 3-4 targets per game, he’s going to be a monster in any scoring format.

I thought Jacobs showed good ability as a receiving option in Alabama. I am not ready to turn the page on that possibility for Jacobs in years ahead. To me this was one of the things he did well and in my view part of what made him worth a 1st round NFL pick.

Perhaps the Raiders want to spell Jacobs in some way during the flow of the game and for his rookie season had him focus more on just running the ball, that he needed some seasoning in pass protection for the coaches to be comfortable in that role, and already having more experienced quality RB for that role. They used Jacobs in the way that made their team better, maybe he wasn't ready to be better in that area year one.

It could be a permanent coaching decision I suppose. I recall listening to Norv Turner talk about the most violent snaps a RB faces are when they have to block a defensive lineman or LB coming at them with a head of steam. Now in this context he was talking about Adrian Peterson, who sucks at pass pro, so it was a way of making an excuse for why they were not using him to do that. At the same time coaches may think this, and it may be part of how they try to keep the starting RB healthy.

What are peoples thoughts on Chuckys opinions about this?

ESPN's Paul Gutierrez expects RB Josh Jacobs to see more involvement in the Raiders' passing game this season.

It would mark a big change for Jacobs after a rookie year in which he saw a grand total of 27 targets. Jalen Richard, meanwhile, led Raiders running backs with 43 targets in 2019. The impact could be seen in Jacobs' 2019 win-loss splits: he saw an elite 24.16 touches in Raiders wins and 16.7 touches in losses, when the Raiders were forced to abandon a balanced offensive attack. Consistent pass game involvement could make Jacobs a value as the ninth running back off the draft board in 2020. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 23, 2020, 2:54 PM ET

Josh Jacobs said his goal is to catch "at least" 60 passes this season.

Jacobs reeled in 20 passes on a measly 27 targets as a rookie, so he would need a major usage spike on passing downs to accomplish this feat. GM Mike Mayock has already expressed optimism that Jacobs will be more involved in the passing game, but it's so much easier said than done when Jalen Richard is still on the team after inking an extension. Only seven running backs caught 60-plus balls last season. Obviously, if Jacobs is more involved in the passing game, the sky is the limit for him in fantasy. Jacobs could certainly flirt with top-six numbers if he just doubles his receiving output from last year.

SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

Aug 12, 2020, 1:37 PM ET

The Raiders are scheduling off days for Josh Jacobs (shoulder).

It's likely out of precaution after Jacobs courageous played through a serious arm injury late in the last season before ending the year on the sideline. Jacobs says the offseason program has "been pretty smooth" and that "this is the best my body has felt." The second-year pro also notes that he doesn't feel his shoulder at all (presumably a good thing) and that he's even playing at a lighter weight, which is something we usually view as a positive. The Raiders want to feature Jacobs as much as possible and have even mentioned him getting more involved as a receiver. If they do, Jacobs will be a top-10 fantasy running back. Of course, that's all coach speak and the Raiders have other pass-catching backs on the roster.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 12, 2020, 4:09 PM ET

What exactly was his injury last year? Did he do anything in the offseason to fix it?
Fractured shoulder, per a Google search. He had off-season surgery, but it wasn't on his shoulder, but rather for a skin infection on his leg, according to sources. 

Raiders coach Jon Gruden plans to get RB Josh Jacobs "more on the field on third down."

Jacobs was rarely used as a pass-catcher in his rookie season. He caught 20 passes on 27 targets despite getting 242 carries. This isn't the first time someone in the Las Vegas franchise has talked up Jacobs' pass-catching role. GM Mike Mayock previously expressed confidence in Jacobs getting more work as a receiver out of the backfield. Despite the optimism, it will be hard for him to carve a consistent role as a receiver with Jalen Richard still on the roster. Richard caught 36 passes last year while splitting his role with DeAndre Washington. If Jacobs does manage to take over a larger role in the passing game, he could become a top-five fantasy running back.

SOURCE: ESPN's Paul Gutierrez

Aug 22, 2020, 1:50 PM ET

The signing of Theo Riddick is interesting. Maybe just a depth sign with Bowden not being ready? But two pass catching backs (Richards, Riddick) along with Bowden doesn’t seem to point to Jacobs getting more targets but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread