What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (3 Viewers)

What is this clown doing tonight? And why did I draft him again?
What do you mean what is he doing?  Seems he is off the injury report and will play.

And I guess I drafted him because despite all the headaches he is about RB 8 in my league on the year.

What do you mean what is he doing?  Seems he is off the injury report and will play.

And I guess I drafted him because despite all the headaches he is about RB 8 in my league on the year.
A headache is exactly what he has been. Starting Chubb, Robinson, and Mike Davis over him this week.

Josh Jacobs rushed 26 times for 76 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' Week 15 overtime loss to the Chargers, adding three receptions for 38 additional yards. 

Jacobs entered the proceedings with an ankle issue and exited it with a knee injury. In between, he was running into one brick wall after another on early downs as Marcus Mariota piled up one big play after another with his legs. Jacobs got stood up on five different carries inside the Chargers' five-yard line, though he thankfully turned a sixth into a one-yard score in the third quarter when he went over the top of the pile. Otherwise, it was an inefficient, unwatchable mess of a performance. The awful stat line is all the more remarkable because Jacobs actually uncorked a 20-yard run, just his second of the season. Jacobs thankfully has nine days to heal up for Week 16 against the Dolphins, but he will be a low-ceiling RB2 whose entire fantasy case rests on volume. 

Dec 17, 2020, 11:58 PM ET

From a fantasy perspective, it's deceiving as he leaves you wanting more, but he gets the yards and grinds and is a bona fide Top 10 RB just as I thought he would be (sitting 8th in my league, anyway). He's not flashy and doesn't have too many break away runs, but he's super solid.

From an NFL perspective, such a tough runner and a real joy to watch.

The only thing I could say is that he could have more burst and speed through the line -- but I think that's actually more purposeful than a fault in his game. Raiders have a massive O-line that create lanes, and Jacobs shows really great patience in looking for holes to open. That gets him stuffed sometimes, but it's also the key to success behind how that line can play. 

From a fantasy perspective, it's deceiving as he leaves you wanting more, but he gets the yards and grinds and is a bona fide Top 10 RB just as I thought he would be (sitting 8th in my league, anyway). He's not flashy and doesn't have too many break away runs, but he's super solid.

From an NFL perspective, such a tough runner and a real joy to watch.

The only thing I could say is that he could have more burst and speed through the line -- but I think that's actually more purposeful than a fault in his game. Raiders have a massive O-line that create lanes, and Jacobs shows really great patience in looking for holes to open. That gets him stuffed sometimes, but it's also the key to success behind how that line can play. 
I drafted him rd 2 so he hasn’t been a total bust fantasy-wise, but I expected more. He seems so average to me? Definitely not a guy I’d be giving a megabucks contract to in a few years. Not sure what the Raiders do with him.  

I see a lot of Marshawn Lynch in him.  I do like his ability to take a pounding, I'm sure it will catch up with him, but while he's been unspectacular apart from 2 games, he's fairly steady.  Mixon and Drake owners probably wish they had him

Solid without being flashy seems about right.  Also last night you see the receptions and wonder why they don't use him in the passing game more.  He made great moves on at least 2 of those that set them up nicely.

Yeah...could have been a huge night...getting stuffed a few times at the goalline does not help. But a 17ish point start to the semifinals will definitely work for me.

That goal line slide is going to cost me the championship I just know it.  So glad the Raiders ended up losing that game. 

I am totally avoiding Jacobs next year. I don’t know if it’s him or the offense but he’s just another guy out there. 

I am totally avoiding Jacobs next year. I don’t know if it’s him or the offense but he’s just another guy out there. 
I probably will because it seems arbitrary to when he will be fed carries.  I don’t think its him.  He looks good and runs hard...offense isn’t featuring him. 5 carries in the first half yesterday.  43 yards.  Was ripping off 10 yard runs and he touched the ball 5 times.  Most other teams would have had him with 10 carries and not thrown the ball 20 times in the half with a qb with a groin injury.

And Jacobs and Carr trying to do the right thing left time for them to lose.  Be selfish there next time big guy...get the TD

Josh Jacobs rushed 13 times for 69 yards in the Raiders' Week 16 loss to the Dolphins. 

Jacobs could have found the end zone but stopped went down on purpose within the five-yard line multiple times in order to set the Raiders up for a last-second field goal. He ran the ball efficiently, averaging 5.3 yards per carry versus a solid Miami defense. However, Jacobs did not see a single target and that has been a common downfall for him from a fantasy perspective. If he doesn't score a touchdown, Jacobs doesn't have the pass-catching role to salvage a quiet rushing day. he remains a low-end RB1 versus the Broncos next week.

Dec 27, 2020, 12:28 AM ET

Josh Jacobs rushed 15 times for 89 yards and two touchdowns in Week 17 against the Broncos.

It ends a uneven 2020 for Jacobs, who ran for fewer yards (1,065) and averaged just 3.9 YPC in his second season. Jacobs's 12 touchdowns were a bright spot, but the preseason hype over his pass game usage was a bust, with Jacobs finishing with just 72 more receiving yards despite playing in 15 games. Jacobs, who had 306 touches, looks more volume dependent than a true workhorse back. With only Devontae Booker and Jalen Richard behind him, the Raiders could add competition for Jacobs this offseason.

- Rotoworld

Oh boy, that’s not a good way to end a season, at least he didn’t hurt someone.

Las Vegas Raiders RB Josh Jacobs arrested for DUI hours after win.

Jacobs DUI

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld take:

ESPN's Paul Gutierrez reports Josh Jacobs was arrested for DUI in Las Vegas Monday morning.

He was involved in a single-vehicle collision near McCarran Airport Monday morning and immediately transported to a local hospital for minor injuries. He was taken to the Clark County Detention Center and booked for DUI upon getting cleared. With the Raiders out of the playoffs, Jacobs is looking at a significant fine once all charges have been processed this offseason.

SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

Jan 4, 2021, 3:22 PM ET

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Former Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake is signing a two-year, $11 million deal that includes up $14.5 million with the Raiders, per source.
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1372617284171132932?s=21

Matthew Berry @MatthewBerryTMR

Last season, among RBs with 100+ touches, Josh Jacobs ranked 46th in fantasy points per touch. The 3 names right ahead of him? Devontae Booker, Brian Hill, Kalen Ballage. Jacobs is volume & TD dependent. This is an absolute killer for his FF value. 11 mil guaranteed is telling.
https://twitter.com/matthewberrytmr/status/1372630746486206466?s=21

Jacobs's fantasy value just got nuked from orbit. Oof.
General overstatement; but yes and no to your underlying point.

Yes: Jacobs will now need to share touches moreso, possibly much moreso than before.

No: Drake may elevate the offense as a whole, leading to more G/L looks/touches for Jacobs; and even more importantly, Jacobs has been an early season stud and late season dud 2/2 NFL seasons due to IMO overuse. For the first time, there's another dynamic dual threat RB on the roster with him. Maybe he loses some opps early, but if it keeps him fresh for the 2nd half of the season, that is where the real value lies, in both real and fantasy football.

X-factor: starting OL is in near-total rebuild mode. Good news is the reality isn't as bad as the headlines. Raiders OL depth and coaching is solid; Raiders starting OL was overrated the last two seasons - depth carried them, as multiple starting OL have been injured; those former depth players will now be starters, better or worse. Can they step up into regular starting roles? Can the team rebuild depth for when injuries strike again? Can Derek Carr handle not having elite pass pro, if growing pains?

LawFitz said:
General overstatement; but yes and no to your underlying point.

Yes: Jacobs will now need to share touches moreso, possibly much moreso than before.

No: Drake may elevate the offense as a whole, leading to more G/L looks/touches for Jacobs; and even more importantly, Jacobs has been an early season stud and late season dud 2/2 NFL seasons due to IMO overuse. For the first time, there's another dynamic dual threat RB on the roster with him. Maybe he loses some opps early, but if it keeps him fresh for the 2nd half of the season, that is where the real value lies, in both real and fantasy football.

X-factor: starting OL is in near-total rebuild mode. Good news is the reality isn't as bad as the headlines. Raiders OL depth and coaching is solid; Raiders starting OL was overrated the last two seasons - depth carried them, as multiple starting OL have been injured; those former depth players will now be starters, better or worse. Can they step up into regular starting roles? Can the team rebuild depth for when injuries strike again? Can Derek Carr handle not having elite pass pro, if growing pains?
It's easy to say now, but he was a sell high and has been for awhile.  It's on those who own him.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

On the Jacobs/Drake split: “Jacobs had 306 touches (third) last year, which accounted for about 37 percent of the Raiders’ overall touches (fifth). That’s a credit to how valuable he is to the offense, but it also explains why he dealt with injuries for the 2nd straight season.”
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1408463907778449411?s=21

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

“He’ll likely be fresher and more efficient if his touches go down, which is where Drake, who’s a skilled receiver and ball carrier, comes into the picture. Jacobs should still have a heavy workload, but even a reduction to about 260 touches could make a big difference.”
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1408463909489713153?s=21

I'm down on Jacobs this year. I actually don't think Drake will cut massively into his rushing workload but they did give Drake a lot of money and he will have a role. The larger issue is that Jacobs just wasn't very good last season. His saving grace was the fact that he scored 12 td's.  It's hard to count on that repeating.  The Raiders fiddled with their offensive line for unknown reasons and they should have a bottom 10 unit this year.  I was listening to Graham Barfield on a podcast and he mentioned that Jacobs has been targeted once in his entire career on third down.  When you add in the presence of Drake, it seems like Jacobs' 45 targets and 33 receptions from last year could become more like 30/20 this season. He's currently going ahead of Harris, CEH, Dobbins, Sanders, Montgomery, and Carson. I'd take each of them in front of Jacobs.  I'd put him in the Gaskin/Mostert/Davis/Edmonds/Robinson/Hunt tier. 

I'm down on Jacobs this year. I actually don't think Drake will cut massively into his rushing workload but they did give Drake a lot of money and he will have a role. The larger issue is that Jacobs just wasn't very good last season. His saving grace was the fact that he scored 12 td's.  It's hard to count on that repeating.  The Raiders fiddled with their offensive line for unknown reasons and they should have a bottom 10 unit this year.  I was listening to Graham Barfield on a podcast and he mentioned that Jacobs has been targeted once in his entire career on third down.  When you add in the presence of Drake, it seems like Jacobs' 45 targets and 33 receptions from last year could become more like 30/20 this season. He's currently going ahead of Harris, CEH, Dobbins, Sanders, Montgomery, and Carson. I'd take each of them in front of Jacobs.  I'd put him in the Gaskin/Mostert/Davis/Edmonds/Robinson/Hunt tier. 
Jacobs in the Gaskin, Moestert, etc, etc, tier.... Is this dynasty? If so, that is insane talk. Alls he's done is finish top 24 his rookie season and followed that up with a top 12 finish in PPR. Don't care how many touches you get in order to do it.... that's impressive. He gets no love. I'll be buying if this is the standard price all off season.

Users who are viewing this thread