What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for best music service - Spotify or Amazon Unlimited (1 Viewer)

Best premium music service assuming you already have Amazon Prime + Echo

• Spotify Premium

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Amazon Unlimited Music

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Since I lost my thousands of downloaded songs I've let my music game slip.  Time to right the ship as we head into '19.  Here's my situation:

• Have Amazon Prime
  • Have 2 Echo's
  • Just got Ultimate Ears Boom speakers for when I play golf
  • Tried Spotify free app, don't like only shuffle or ads.  Using free version of Amazon music now.  Big library but doesn't have some newer albums.  Guy I play golf with loves Spotify's UI, very easy to add songs you like or create playlists.  
  • IPhoneX
  • No Sonos or anything in the house yet
  • Haven't used playlists much at the gym but want to
  • Like all kinds of music
I've read comparisons online.  Spotify 35+ million songs vs Amazon's "tens of millions". Cost is about the same.  But I'm pretty heavy Amazon at this point - is Spotify that much better?

I love Spotify personally but don’t know much about the amazon offering. Playlist options are incredible on Spotify though (curated and custom). Love offline mode. Love social sharing of lists among freinds. 

I love Spotify personally but don’t know much about the amazon offering. Playlist options are incredible on Spotify though (curated and custom). Love offline mode. Love social sharing of lists among freinds. 
Exact same. Wish I knew anything about the Amazon service to provide substantive help.

I'll add that spotify's algorithms are pretty great, hooking you up with music you'll love but never knew existed (the curated bit icon mentioned).

And being able to "save" any song you want into playlists to be listened to whenever you want is fantastic...along with just listening to whatever album you want whenever you want.

As a former music need, I'm a huge fan. Has allowed me to get back to being a music nerd without any work on my end (other than listening and saving songs to playlists)

I listen to a pretty narrow range of music.  So neither is really for me, but I've tried out both and they are pretty much the same.  Spotify is better for me because it can do podcasts and stuff and I've made some playlists on my gf's account that I was able to access, but neither was significantly better than the other.  

I'm long time Spotify user and also avid Amazon user. Amazon had promo of 1 cent for Amazon Music Umlimited so I've tried both... 

Music depth is pretty great on both. For the 0.1% of music not on Spotify, it wasn't on Amazon either. 

I primarily interact with the phone app and I found the Spotify app to be a little smoother, intuitive. This may have been based on using Spotify first, but I've been critical of Spotify too. 

Both allow you to search for playlists and Spotify had more playlists available, but not necessarily better. One exception was on new indie music and I thought Spotify was a lot better on highlighting, finding new indie music. 

Lastly, I had a good chunk of Spotify playlists established so that made it easy stick with that service. 

If you are new to either and enjoy music from established artists, albums, then either service will get the job done and go with cheaper. If you are an enthusiast on new music, then I think Spotify is better. My two cents. 

I use Spotify with Alexa and you can set Spotify as the default music in the Alexa app. It has been smooth. 

Good luck! 

Spotify by far.  I honestly dont like many of Amazon's offerings - music, streaming movies, whatever.  Always feels clunky and not the smoothest to use.  

Plus, all the cool kids in the FFA music drafts are using the Spotify. 

No way.  I cancelled xm and just stream spotify in my car now.  XM is one of the poorest run companies I've ever seen.  
I use TuneIn for $10 a month, all live college and pro sports and commercial free music without the dumb DJs talking constantly on the SXM channels.

Use Amazon music - just did family unlimited.  Works great for me.  I also use Spotify desktop at work some and find that I’d rather just plug headphones in to my phone and use the Amazon app.

Sirius is radio but with a much wider spectrum of choices and fewer commercials. They advertise no commercials, but advertising for yourself all the time still counts as running commercials. You listen to what they want to play. Plus a bunch of stations have DJs that like to pontificate on how cool they are. Maybe that's your thing.

I have not used Amazon Unlimited.

Spotify Premium is fantastic. I've yet to not find a song I'm looking for. No ads. Listen to what you want whenever, including offline (airplanes, etc.) I am late to the party as I used Pandora free forever and had some good stations but would never consider going back.

Sirius is radio but with a much wider spectrum of choices and fewer commercials. They advertise no commercials, but advertising for yourself all the time still counts as running commercials. You listen to what they want to play. Plus a bunch of stations have DJs that like to pontificate on how cool they are. Maybe that's your thing.

I have not used Amazon Unlimited.

Spotify Premium is fantastic. I've yet to not find a song I'm looking for. No ads. Listen to what you want whenever, including offline (airplanes, etc.) I am late to the party as I used Pandora free forever and had some good stations but would never consider going back.
This is what I don't get about people loving Sirius and Pandora - you don't get to pick what you are listening to.  Different strokes and all, but I say F that.  Sure, Spotify has the radio stations as well if that is your thing, but I am much more into listening to whole albums and doing playlists.  

I keep an old iPhone 5s in my car and once every week while the engine warms up I download the playlists I’ve made from Amazon Music and just use it as a jukebox.  Big fan. 

Does any service have a large volume of clean versions of rap music?  Can't listen to DMX dropping F's and N's every other word around my kid.

This is what I don't get about people loving Sirius and Pandora - you don't get to pick what you are listening to.  Different strokes and all, but I say F that.  Sure, Spotify has the radio stations as well if that is your thing, but I am much more into listening to whole albums and doing playlists.  
I liked Pandora free a lot before I tried Spotify premium, but now that I've used both, one is head and shoulders above the o. 

I have Spotify Premium and Sirius.

We use Sirius for long drives, nice and easy to play something like their 80s channel (something both wife and I can tolerate!). It is radio, but for a long drive, it is nice to not have to find stations. I also like having the ancient MTV folks on the 80s channel playing DJ, stories are fun to hear, too.

Google Play over Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon Music for me. It includes ad-free You Tube, and on my Galaxy phone, it streams You Tube audio while my screen is locked (unsure if this feature works on iPhone).
How exactly do you accomplish this on your Galaxy? I've been looking for a way to do this for a while and it's always been an issue. I just enabled Google Play again to try this and audio stops as soon as I lock my screen. Thanks.

Google Play over Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon Music for me. It includes ad-free You Tube, and on my Galaxy phone, it streams You Tube audio while my screen is locked (unsure if this feature works on iPhone).
Thinking....I know I’ve played long YouTube videos and listened to the audio in my car without having it stop playing on my iPhone but I think the screen doesn’t auto-lock so it just stays on. 

It amazes me that play seems to be less popular than Spotify.  They appear to have the same content offerings for a similar price, so YouTube red is the deal breaker for me.

Pardon the brief derail but didn’t know Spotify had a free option. Does it pummel free Pandora?  I’ll try to get out of the 2000s this year. 

How exactly do you accomplish this on your Galaxy? I've been looking for a way to do this for a while and it's always been an issue. I just enabled Google Play again to try this and audio stops as soon as I lock my screen. Thanks.
Not sure how it works, but my app is YouTube Premium.  Was not really aware of the capability until after the first time I paused a video on my phone, and it started auto-playing as soon as it connected to bluetooth in my car.  I was like, WTF! ... I think it was a Christopher Hitchens montage.

Spotify streams fine when the phone is locked. 👍🏽

Tell me more about Spotify vs YouTube.
One is a music app with a UX designed to efficiently stream songs by album/playlist/etc... while offline or online... and to allow social sharing of those songs/playlists with friends. 

The other is a video app that has been retrofitted to kinda do some of those things but not really as well as Spotify.  

I was a spotify guy for a long time and loved it.  A year or two ago switched to Amazon music unlimited as pricing was a little better and we have like 8 Echos in the house.  Given how much we are an "amazon household" it just makes sense for me to stay with Amazon.

The only thing I liked better about spotify was their curated playlists were better and they did a better job of suggesting new artists or albums I might be interested in.  Amazon is improving in that area, but I found spotify was better.

Still, not a significant enough difference for me to leave the Amazon ecosystem. 

I was a spotify guy for a long time and loved it.  A year or two ago switched to Amazon music unlimited as pricing was a little better and we have like 8 Echos in the house.  Given how much we are an "amazon household" it just makes sense for me to stay with Amazon.

The only thing I liked better about spotify was their curated playlists were better and they did a better job of suggesting new artists or albums I might be interested in.  Amazon is improving in that area, but I found spotify was better.

Still, not a significant enough difference for me to leave the Amazon ecosystem. 
But you can use Spotify within that ecosystem including all Echos, correct? Works exactly the same using Alexa?

But you can use Spotify within that ecosystem including all Echos, correct? Works exactly the same using Alexa?
Amazon music makes music suggestions based on your purchases. It's pretty sweet. Today it recommended acdc since I bought some 9 volt batteries. #ecosystem! 

Pardon the brief derail but didn’t know Spotify had a free option. Does it pummel free Pandora?  I’ll try to get out of the 2000s this year. 
spotify is a music app with endless amounts of music that you can listen to as radio style, or via curated (to your tastes) playlists, or to explore at your own desire- while creating playlists of your own to listen to whenever you'd like. you can listen to whatever, whenever you want. Pandora is basically stylized radio- no control over song choice, other than picking the stations, and no ability to save the music (unless I'm oudated with that info). yes- spotify pummels pandora.

I had youtube premium for a bit... it allowed you to do this. are you guys saying google play opens up youtube premium? if so- then it should just work.

I don't know about the playlists.  I save songs and listen to them in a shuffle mix.  And I can listen to whatever song I want whenever.
without waiting for the shuffle to land in the right spot- that's great... a big upgrade.

Tell me more about Spotify vs YouTube.
Isn't YouTube music subscription the same as the Google play?  I think you get both but there are different apps.  Google play is more like Spotify.  YouTube music, though better than regularYouTube for music, is geared more towards music videos.

Spotify free is better than Pandora free. One specific area is if there's an album you'd like to hear, Spotify allows you to play that specific album, albeit "shuffled" and with ads.

Spotify free is better than Pandora free. One specific area is if there's an album you'd like to hear, Spotify allows you to play that specific album, albeit "shuffled" and with ads.
FWIW- on desktop/laptop, you don't have to listen shuffled with spotify- it's basically the same as premium, except for the commercials. the shuffle-only is only on mobile device.

Users who are viewing this thread