What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Allegiance to lifelong team (1 Viewer)

KickinT

Footballguy
I am honestly at the end of my rope of fandom, but still torn by ideals of loyalty and commitment. How many of you have jumped ship on your childhood or longtime team? Why did you do it? Reborn? Regrets?

I am honestly at the end of my rope of fandom, but still torn by ideals of loyalty and commitment. How many of you have jumped ship on your childhood or longtime team? Why did you do it? Reborn? Regrets?
Always be a Lions fan, but chose an AFC team to root for about 3-4 years ago as well. Cleveland Browns! Yep. I’m no bandwagon guy.. 

Always been a Browns fan, but I do try to root for an NFC team as well.  I've liked NO since Brees joined the team, even moreso now that the Defense is made up of Buckeyes!

I am a life long fan of the Steelers since I was old enough to remember. I'm 46 years old. I see no reason to stop being a fan of theirs just because they don't meet my preferences every single season. Take the good with the bad.

Born a Pats fan, will die a Pats fan. 42 years and counting... (though the first 3-4 are not part of my memory lol)

My allegiance won't change but I've been watching much less over the last 2 years and only watched about 1 quarter of the last 3 NE games. 

Lifelong Redskins fan.  Has been hard these past few years, especially this one after starting 6-3 and then see everything go up in flames.  I don't like the way they are going, and there doesn't seem to be any type of hope on the horizon - especially with the messy QB situation we have now.  I don't like the owner, the GM, the coaches, and really the player I was looking forward to watching the most (Guice) got hurt in the preseason.  Found myself rooting for the Chargers this season.

Miami Dolphins fan since the early 70"s (I was about 7 so clearly started as bandwagon fandom, lol).  Stayed with them all along.  However, I currently have absolutely no faith in this organization doing anything positive.  Won't give up on them, just very low expectations.

Luckily I live in the Philly area and can rout for the Eagles to succeed.

Dolphins fan here.

I've been rooting for them since early 1980's.  Local team was Redskins and I didn't like them (hated them and the Cowboys).  Since they were on CBS every week, I watched the NBC channel (AFC) growing up and the Dolphins and Steelers played there regularly.  I should have picked the Steelers.  Oh well.  I think 1994 was the last year I rooted blood and guts for them.   I didn't even watch Shula's last game in the playoffs in 1995 as I was skiing that weekend.   Most of the last 25 years have been casually rooting and more or less expecting them to fail.  In that, I have not been disappointed.

I somewhat rooted for the LA Rams in the NFC in the 1980s too.  Never really cared for them much in St Louis.  Now they are back in LA...maybe.  

Seeing the Browns look like an NFL franchise, and a damn good one at that...

Was worth the last decades
No, no it wasn't.  The incompetence of this organization's management has been epic.  This team could have, and should have, been competitive long ago.  Nothing can replace those years of miserable football or make up for it.  That said, yes, it is good to see them becoming competitive now, and there is hope for the future.  But, there was no reason to have had to endure the futility of the past decade.

Dolphins fan here.

I've been rooting for them since early 1980's.  Local team was Redskins and I didn't like them (hated them and the Cowboys).  Since they were on CBS every week, I watched the NBC channel (AFC) growing up and the Dolphins and Steelers played there regularly.  I should have picked the Steelers.  Oh well.  I think 1994 was the last year I rooted blood and guts for them.   I didn't even watch Shula's last game in the playoffs in 1995 as I was skiing that weekend.   Most of the last 25 years have been casually rooting and more or less expecting them to fail.  In that, I have not been disappointed.

I somewhat rooted for the LA Rams in the NFC in the 1980s too.  Never really cared for them much in St Louis.  Now they are back in LA...maybe.  
Like your reference to "rooted blood and guts".  As a Steeler fan, I can relate. The older I get and the longer their struggles at returning to playoff relevance, I tend to not root as much with blood and guts.

I’ve been a Packers fan since I was very young and don’t see it changing.  Sure, I can be pissed at the direction of the team (and yesterday was bad finally getting my son to a game only to have them lay down like that)...but in the end I’ll still pull for them.

Too many memories and stories from family.

It would take something huge to change that.

Always been a Browns fan, but I do try to root for an NFC team as well.  I've liked NO since Brees joined the team, even moreso now that the Defense is made up of Buckeyes!
Bengals fan here. I like the Saints too and almost jumped ship before their Super Bowl win. It seemed wrong afterwards and I hung in there only to be rewarded with more Pittsburgh game meltdowns, firings and rehirings, and now Hue possibly? I don’t know how much more I can take.

I am a life long fan of the Steelers since I was old enough to remember. I'm 46 years old. I see no reason to stop being a fan of theirs just because they don't meet my preferences every single season. Take the good with the bad.
What good do you see in the Bengals organization. Just a taste of success would have me feeling differently. I honestly believe the Bengals would’ve beaten your Steelers the game Carson got hurt. But a line man did not sustain his block and the defender bear crawled into Palmers knee. I think that was the closest this teams been ready to play for years. That gets old. 

I was niners fan once. Then I turned 7. Been an Eagles fan ever since. Last year was worth all the suffering. 

Like your reference to "rooted blood and guts".  As a Steeler fan, I can relate. The older I get and the longer their struggles at returning to playoff relevance, I tend to not root as much with blood and guts.
As a kid/teen, you are going to war with your team.  Even in college, how good my weekend was heavily impacted by the college team on Sat and my NFL team on Sunday.  0-2 was a lousy weekend and made for unhappy Mondays.  Eventually life happens and/or you just get tired of getting gut punched over and over.   Insert picture of 25 year old Patriot fan, going what are these guys talking about.

I doubt I'll fully embrace a new team (but it has crossed my mind when the Dolphins do something stupid) cause I'll never have the experience of growing up with that team where it seems every weekend is a do or die battle.  

I am forever a Dolphins fan. 

I have a soft spot for the Rams (ever since 1979). And I will root for guys I really enjoy watching. Guys like Drew Brees for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up a Cowboys fan in the Staubach/Dorsett heyday when they had a rivalry with the Steelers. When Jerry Jones bought the team (in 89?) and fired Tom Landry the way he did (Landry found out thru the press) I decided to root against him/them until Jones was no longer owner of the team — it’s gotten easier and easier to root against or laugh at that ####. 

Life long Vikings fan. Uggh.

I usually find an AFC team or two I like and root for in the playoffs. The Chiefs are that team now and also am rooting for Luck.

I grew up a Cowboys fan in the Staubach/Dorsett heyday when they had a rivalry with the Steelers. When Jerry Jones bought the team (in 89?) and fired Tom Landry the way he did (Landry found out thru the press) I decided to root against him/them until Jones was no longer owner of the team — it’s gotten easier and easier to root against or laugh at that ####. 
My beef is with ownership as well. I’m beginning to believe that no player or coach can overcome the unwillingness of the Brown family to commit to success.

Grew up a Saints fan, mainly because of location and because that's who everyone in my family rooted for.  Didn't become a "serious" fan until college, so the majority of my fandom has been through the Brees/Payton era rather than the Aints era.  

Due to FF I root for various other teams in certain games because they have players I like.  I always liked Favre so rooted for GB often, always liked Peyton so rooted for Colts/Broncos bc of him (except in the SB vs. Saints).  Always thought Larry Fitz was the model of a pro so I'll root for Arizona for him...but my first allegiance will always be to New Orleans

over 20 years ago when I really started following the NFL and needed a team, my 2nd cousin was a backup QB for the Eagles.  Have never looked back since and never will.  I think when you're an extremely passionate fan of a team, the city, fans, logo, ownership, culture, etc., all kind of become a part of you.  Would be really weird to ever have a new team with the amount of merchandise I have too.

Back in the day metal lunchboxes, I had one that had every helmet of the AFC on one side, and the NFC the other. What a fateful decision it was in the cafeteria that day. Ken Anderson, Pete Johnson, and Chris Collinsworth we’re fools gold that sealed the deal.  Now look at me.

I grew up in western PA in the 70s so being a life long Steeler fan is a given even though I live in FL now.  I'm a Steeler, Penguin, and Pirate fan and I like that the three teams have the same colors - black and gold are like the colors of the city or something.  My passion for the Steelers (and Penguins/Pirates) may wane but I will never change allegiances.

My childhood team was the Rams and I jumped ship when Georgia Frontiere moved the team to St. Louis supposedly because of dwindling fan support (which was caused by her HC and GM not bringing in quality players to remain competitive). I lost complete interest at that point and my enthusiasm did not return, even though they are under different ownership and have come back to L.A.

I grew up in western PA in the 70s so being a life long Steeler fan is a given even though I live in FL now.  I'm a Steeler, Penguin, and Pirate fan and I like that the three teams have the same colors - black and gold are like the colors of the city or something.  My passion for the Steelers (and Penguins/Pirates) may wane but I will never change allegiances.

over 20 years ago when I really started following the NFL and needed a team, my 2nd cousin was a backup QB for the Eagles.  Have never looked back since and never will.  I think when you're an extremely passionate fan of a team, the city, fans, logo, ownership, culture, etc., all kind of become a part of you.  Would be really weird to ever have a new team with the amount of merchandise I have too.
Maybe I lack the passion of a native fan. It is most definitely a different process when you live in a non NFL state. You get to choose.   Kids ask each other because it’s not a given. 

When the Pirates lost Bonds and Bonilla without any real compensation I was going to quit being a Pirates fan but instead opted to quit MLB. No regrets.

Other than that have remained a fan of Steelers and 76'ers for going on 37 years now and what is odd about that is I grew up in the south, have never been to Pennsylvania and have no family members that are fans of these teams but that's a long and somewhat unexciting story.

My childhood team was the Rams and I jumped ship when Georgia Frontiere moved the team to St. Louis supposedly because of dwindling fan support (which was caused by her HC and GM not bringing in quality players to remain competitive). I lost complete interest at that point and my enthusiasm did not return, even though they are under different ownership and have come back to L.A.
Deacon Jones and all those head-slaps. Good times. Don’t even get me started on team moves. They are abhorant and should be avoided at all costs. Holding municipalities hostage for money to improve your venue and threatening to move a team is wrong. You are justified in your ship jumping.

Maybe I lack the passion of a native fan. It is most definitely a different process when you live in a non NFL state. You get to choose.   Kids ask each other because it’s not a given. 
For sure its a little tougher not being a native to the city.  I am a huge fan of all Philly teams but live a long ways away.

45 years being an Eagles fan. Last season felt like being the sports fan equivalent of Andy Dufresne emerging from that sewer pipe to glorious freedom! All the suffering; all the being the butt of jokes; the countless times being asked “How many rings ya got?!” All of it was worth for last year. All of it.

55 years Browns fan

52 years Bengals fan (Browns will always be first)

55 years THE Ohio State fan

22 years Arkansas Razorback fan.  

Don't see this changing.  

Jumped ship on the Raduhs after they traded Mack. If you really think about it you are basically rooting for laundry. The player you dispised last year may be signed by your team in the off season. Richard Sherman is for example. I just don’t get the “logic” of I was raised a fan of team X so I will always be a fan of that team. These franchises are owned by multi millionares who are gauranteed a profit every year before a single ticket is sold. They don’t care about you. Why should you care about their success? Tribalism at it’s finest.

I quit following the Cardinals when Bidwell moved them to the desert.  When the Rams moved to town I followed them until they went to LA.  Currently I do not have a team.  Logically I guess I should choose KC, Den, Min or Chi based on proximity - but haven't really felt compelled to follow any of those teams as a fan.

I quit following the Cardinals when Bidwell moved them to the desert.  When the Rams moved to town I followed them until they went to LA.  Currently I do not have a team.  Logically I guess I should choose KC, Den, Min or Chi based on proximity - but haven't really felt compelled to follow any of those teams as a fan.
Why do you need a team? Can’t you just root for players? 

Why do you need a team? Can’t you just root for players? 
That is pretty much what I do now.  Still it would be nice to have a team - travel to and tailgate a few games a year.  Baseball is my favorite sport and I live and die by the Cardinals - hockey it is the Blues - so just saying it would be nice to have an NFL team that I was as passionate about.  Without a team, and aside from Fantasy Football, I would say NFL has fallen behind MLB and college football for me.  It is still comfortably ahead of hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:  some of us have never had any good. Easy to say for you. 

Born in MN. Really only ever cared deeply for the Vikings. I’ll watch the other MN teams if they do well. 

Found myself missing games this year and not caring. I’m definitely losing interest. Just too much other stuff to do now. 3 kids, busy career, own a business and want to enjoy my weekends. 

Eagles fan, will admit my passion waned when they picked up Vick as I've always had dogs. I moved, fantasy kind of tore me away from my diehard allegiance, but I was with them last year. It was good to see them win--a lot of people I know in the Philly area tie there identity and self-worth to the Eagles, so I was glad to see the region get a boost. It's also nice to give Bucs fans some crap 🙂

No, I guess it doesn’t. I could just hop from bandwagon to bandwagon and see how that flies down at the bar or in the workplace. 
Or you could attach your allegiance to certain players regardless of uniforms. That is an approach that makes more sense to me than rooting for laundry.

Or you could attach your allegiance to certain players regardless of uniforms. That is an approach that makes more sense to me than rooting for laundry.
That’s called fantasy football and I love that it helps me follow the entire league, but the uniform represents unity. An overlooked and powerful force. Look what happened when the Bucs got rid of the orange. Look how good New England has been since they got rid of goofy three point stance patriot logo. I tell ya there is something to it. Miami took the ridiculous helmet off of their dolphin and wiped the stupid look off his face. They are a team to keep an eye on.

Users who are viewing this thread