What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (1 Viewer)

this over-reaction is gross, this kid (only 23 yrs old) is at a strip club and not hurting anyone. He didn't hit anyone, he didn't call anyone a bad word and he didn't even over drink from what we know.  A little picture of him with his mask off and everybody is done with him!!! Give me a break.

if this is the level of scrutiny we're placing on these people then shut the thing down... put them in a bubble, this is ridiculous.   
Huh?  Forget for a second anybody’s political or science backed views on the coronavirus.

He broke league protocol and risked infecting himself and his teammates in the middle of a playoff race thereby potentially impacting wins and losses.

How much more selfish and irresponsible can a teammate be? Not to mention your starting QB which is arguably the most important position and a key leadership role.

Nothing gross here.  He is wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh?  Forget for a second anybody’s political or science backed views on the coronavirus.

He broke league protocol and risked infecting his teammates in the middle of a playoff race thereby potentially impacting wins and losses.

How much more selfish and more irresponsible can a teammate be? Not to mention your starting QB which is arguable the most important position and a key leadership role.

Nothing gross here.  He is wrong. 
your telling me everyone that is playing NFL football is locking themselves in their homes every night?

shut it down... take the remaining playoff eligible teams and put them in a bubble.

your telling me everyone that is playing NFL football is locking themselves in their homes every night?

shut it down... take the remaining playoff eligible teams and put them in a bubble.
I’m telling you to be responsible for your actions.  

As a player you should know the protocol and adhere.  If you don’t want to that’s fine but don’t cry about it if you get caught.  You are welcome to seek a non-NFL career if you don’t like. 

this over-reaction is gross, this kid (only 23 yrs old) is at a strip club and not hurting anyone. He didn't hit anyone, he didn't call anyone a bad word and he didn't even over drink from what we know.  A little picture of him with his mask off and everybody is done with him!!! Give me a break.

if this is the level of scrutiny we're placing on these people then shut the thing down... put them in a bubble, this is ridiculous.   
Dude risked the health of this locker room (including his coach who just had cancer) and the availability of players before a potential division clinching game. He risked a locker room outbreak before the team’s most important game in years. The only thing ridiculous about this situation is the belief that Haskins has the self awareness to ever be a competent NFL QB. If you don’t understand how Covid works, I can’t help you there, but this is a big deal.

Dwayne Haskins took first-team snaps at Wednesday's practice. 

Alex Smith was at practice, but watched as Haskins operated with the first team offense. Apparently Haskins is allowed to practice after violating COVID-19 protocols by going maskless to a strip club. Smith was seen throwing to the side of practice. Probably we won't know Smith's Week 16 status until Friday afternoon. Haskins would be a superflex option if he gets the nod. 

RELATED: 

Alex Smith

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Dec 23, 2020, 1:10 PM ET

I would think if the team was going to take any action they would have already done so vs. let him take first team snaps.

Would think if the league was going to act they'd already have done so as well. I wonder if something is at work here that they don't want to screw up WASH's playoff chances.

The Football Team fined Dwayne Haskins $40,000 for violating COVID-19 protocols. 

It turned out to be a pricey trip to the club for Haskins, who loses about half a game check for violating COVID protocols. Haskins, who took first team snaps at Wednesday's practice, was also stripped of his captain title for his transgression. He could be under center once again this week against Carolina is Alex Smith (calf) is inactive. Smith would need to practice on Friday -- at the minimum -- to have a chance to play. 

RELATED: 

Alex Smith

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 23, 2020, 2:49 PM ET

Haskins was a captain!?

What...the...####?
I would chalk this one up to Dan Snyder wanted it so. He was the one who pushed to pick him over the opinion of his front office in the first place. But yeah, totally ridiculous.

As for the punishment, it was clear Ron was in a bind here. I still contend that if the QB room was healthy (Smith and Allen available) he would have likely cut him. There is still no future for this guy in DC. That ship has sailed at this point.

Story earlier said he was voted captain by his teammates.  As were the 31 other QBs starting on Week 1.
Yeah, I know that’s the story, but dude is not the most popular guy in the locker room to say the least. It might be something that they felt obligated to do. The true captain on that side of the ball is Mclaurin.  

Guy has repeatedly shown he is bereft of a brain, imo. Bad attitude reports dogged him coming out of college into the NFL, distracted by taking stupid selfies with fans at the side of the pitch thus forgetting he had to ice the game, this latest one. Michael Lombardi shared a story on his podcast a few months back - he was doing a seminar for rookies at some rookie program thing the year Haskins was coming into NFL. All the players were there on time for his class except Haskins. Haskins came in near the end. Lombardi told him that he’d be around at the venue the next morning from 9am  if Haskins wanted the chance to catch up and speak to him alone.  But that he’d be leaving bang on midday.  Haskins said yes that would be great see you at 9. Then turned up at 11.45am the next day 

Guy simply does not have the requisite qualities required to be a leader of a team 

Haskins should have saved some of those singles he was stuffing in g-strings last week.

In retrospect, this pick was doomed from the start. Another media obsessed QB who was more interested in developing his brand than winning that was chosen by the owner. But unlike RG3, Haskins had absolutely none of the talent to back it up.

Another wasted draft pick for this franchise. Their record on 1st round picks since Snyder took over has been atrocious. The only saving grace of the Haskins draft was the FO was to trade back into the first to get Sweat, who should have been the pick at 15 if Snyder didn’t sabatoge that pick. 

Amazing how quickly they pulled the plug. Like Josh Rosen, not even really waiting it out, just tossing him on the scrap heap.

Haskins will land on someone’s practice squad. Can’t say I’m surprised, but what an indictment.

Amazing how quickly they pulled the plug. Like Josh Rosen, not even really waiting it out, just tossing him on the scrap heap.

Haskins will land on someone’s practice squad. Can’t say I’m surprised, but what an indictment.
As a Skins fan, I’m not surprised. It was a forced  marriage between Rivera and him from the start. He was quickly demoted to 3rd string about 4 games in. He only got the chance he had now due to injury to the 2 QBs ahead of him. Last week was the final straw but Rivera had to keep him around due to lack of options in the QB room. Two separate coaching staffs soured on the guy very quickly. All the chatter out there is that he’s not willing to put the work in and that won’t fly in this league. Add to that the lack of talent and the distraction factor and he’s an clear cut imo.

Kudos to Rivera for realizing Haskins was a huge bust and convincing WFT leadership to cut their losses and moving on.  Bad teams would have doubled and tripled down and dug themselves deeper.  Rivera knows what he's doing.  

Kudos to Rivera for realizing Haskins was a huge bust and convincing WFT leadership to cut their losses and moving on.  Bad teams would have doubled and tripled down and dug themselves deeper.  Rivera knows what he's doing.  
I think Haskins went above and beyond in showing he is not an NFL talent. I doubt the call was really that tough for Rivera.

Any theories what led to his dismissal now? 

Was it the poor performance vs Carolina or did something else happen outside of the game?  Maybe he didn’t take the new guy jumping over him on the depth chart too well?

I would have thought the most likely time to cut him would have been right after the strip club incident. 

Unless the GMen are trying to collect bust QBs from that draft, I don’t know why they would bother. I would say maybe they could pick this brain for some intel, but Haskins didn’t know the playbook anyway.
Washington isn't some haven for nurturing young QBs and the team a) didn't want him b) coach pretty much told him he didn't want him c) organization top to bottom is terrible d) he was mismanaged since he joined the team. Why give up on him? Any QB with a 1st round grade should get a chance to be rehabilitated, people clown the Eagles but they had the right idea. If you are on the fence about how your starting QB is after a couple years, draft another in the 1st/2nd if your team can take the hit. There are multiple instances recently of QBs being rehabilitated after a change of scenery or going to a team with a QB guru/good coaching. And yes, this pertains to guys like Josh Rosen too.

Haskins did himself no favors with crappy off the field decisions, but to me he mentally checked out after the first few games this year. I'm not going to end the career of a dude who still has never had a NFL training camp and legit should have never played an NFL snap his 1st year.

Any theories what led to his dismissal now? 

Was it the poor performance vs Carolina or did something else happen outside of the game?  Maybe he didn’t take the new guy jumping over him on the depth chart too well?

I would have thought the most likely time to cut him would have been right after the strip club incident. 
He would've been cut if it wasn't for the fact Smith was hurt.

One week too late.  I think he was cut the minute he got pulled in Q4.

Then the guy skips the required starting QB post game press conference.  Had to get him on the phone to do it from home (or the strip club).  One of my buds with the team says that's a really bad thing for a player to do.  And he was on the field patting Hienicke for some odd reason.  The guy is completely clueless.  Nothin upstairs and doesn't have the feet to make up for it.

Anyone that thinks Haskins was in some way let down by this org....wow.  Super clueless.  So many chances afforded to him by an owner that had his back (and owner's kid barking in daddy's ear).  

One week too late.  I think he was cut the minute he got pulled in Q4.

Then the guy skips the required starting QB post game press conference.  Had to get him on the phone to do it from home (or the strip club).  He was on the field patting Hienicke for some odd reason.  The guy is completely clueless.  Nothin upstairs and doesn't have the feet to make up for it.
This is right. Watch the post game interview he finally gave from his home. This is your QB...your team leader?  He had a terrible game, he ran away from his responsibility (post game interview) and came across as a man who was thoroughly beaten down. You can’t walk back from that (on top of everything else) and command the respect of your locker room

I do hope he figures things out and gets another chance  

Washington isn't some haven for nurturing young QBs and the team a) didn't want him b) coach pretty much told him he didn't want him c) organization top to bottom is terrible d) he was mismanaged since he joined the team. Why give up on him? Any QB with a 1st round grade should get a chance to be rehabilitated, people clown the Eagles but they had the right idea. If you have on the fence about how your starting QB is after a couple years, draft another in the 1st/2nd if your team can take the hit. There are multiple instances recently of QBs being rehabilitated after a change of scenery or going to a team with a QB guru/good coaching. And yes, this pertains to guys like Josh Rosen too.

Haskins did himself no favors with crappy off the field decisions, but to me he mentally checked out after the first few games this year. I'm not going to end the career of a dude who still has never had a NFL training camp and legit should have never played an NFL snap his 1st year.
I’m not about to sit here and defend the dysfunctional Skins organization but this idea that Haskins wasn’t given a fair shake is ridiculous. He was hand picked by the owner, against the front office’s wishes and given every chance to take this starting job and run with it. His problem, which two different coaching regimes discovered very quickly, is he has zero work ethic and hasn’t shown he’s willing to put in the work needed to improve. He’s acted in a non-professional matter every step of the way. He simply doesn’t have the talent to justify keeping around as a distraction. And as for his “first round grade” many teams had a third round grade on the guy and if the Skins didn’t take him at 15 it was reported he could have dropped like a stone. I’m not giving him any artificial value of a “1st round grade” when the Skins made a bad pick. 

I’m sure some team will take a flier on him thinking he can be fixed. But unless he matures real quick he’s going to find himself out of the league sooner rather than later.

Didnt he have a full training camp in 2019?
I meant in 2020, my bad.

I’m not about to sit here and defend the dysfunctional Skins organization but this idea that Haskins wasn’t given a fair shake is ridiculous. He was hand picked by the owner, against the front office’s wishes and given every chance to take this starting job and run with it. His problem, which two coaching regimes discovered very quickly, is he has zero work ethic and hasn’t shown he’s willing to put in the work needed to improve. He’s acted in a non-professional matter every step of the way. He simply doesn’t have the talent to justify keeping around as a distraction. And as for his “first round grade” many teams had a third round grade on the guy and if the Skins didn’t take him at 15 it was reported he could have dropped like a stone. I’m not giving him any artificial value of a “1st round grade” when the Skins made a bad pick. 
I’m sure some team will take a flier on him thinking he can be fixed. But unless he matures real quick he’s going to find himself out of the league sooner rather than later.
Funny thing is his work ethic is the one thing he was lauded on coming out of college. I already said the kid did himself no favors with the chip on his shoulder after the Giants passed on him, but the organization doesn't get a break mismanaging him every step of the way either. He wasn't wanted and the staff around him made no bones to hide that from him (not their 1st go around doing that). Did the guy shut down afterwards and handle it poorly? Sure. But it wasn't going to work out in Washington and for his sake I hope he goes to a team where he can get structure and proper guidance from.

He's basically the backup QB on his high school team who ####s around and has a bad attitude because "coach doesn't like me". 

Son, coach doesn't like you because you #### around and have a bad attitude, it's not the other way around.

Dianna Russini @diannaESPN

I will never forget the week leading up the draft in 2019. A member of the Washington coaching staff told me he was going to actually throw up in the war room because ownership wasn’t listening. Coaches didn’t believe Haskins was the right person to be the future of the franchise
https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1343617791014952966?s=21

This isn’t about the coaches being right—because they were wrong themselves plenty— but it always stood out how passionate they were about not wanting to make that selection. It was about the person, not the ability. I’ve covered NFL drafts for years, that was a first.
https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1343618256553320449?s=21

I also believe the football operation leaked to ESPN because they were desperate to persuade Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen to change their minds. Anything to help their own case.
https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1343618783815073799?s=21

This guy sounds like he has a problem and it also sounds like neither coaching staff wanted him from the jump and treated him terribly in both cases. 

These things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Gruden threw him to the Giants wolves his first time he hit the field (not a start, no prep, etc.) and it never stopped. He also sounds like a complete horse's ###. There's so much blame to go around here, let's not skimp on it.  

Right, he was supposed to be a hard-working humble kid.
Looks / pre-draft fluff can be deceiving. There was nothing humble about this kid since the day he was drafted. From “the league done messed up” to charging admission to his pre-draft draft party, to his launching of his Haskins brand before draft day, to asking for Theisman’s number before he did a damn thing. This kid’s ego was there to see from the beginning.

And there is nothing wrong with being cocky. You want your QB to have confidence, but you have to have the skills to back it up. And you you have put in the work to improve and not think success will just come to you naturally in the pros like it did in college.

Said early this year that he'll probably have to settle for practice squad like Rosen as I didn't see anyone trading for him given terrible film and no league connections.

I'll amend this to "I don't think you want this guy at all in your building". He was a mid/late round talent IMO coming out. Now with terrible film and off field issues.

I think if he wants to QB again soon.... it'll be in another league. 

Looks / pre-draft fluff can be deceiving. There was nothing humble about this kid since the day he was drafted. From “the league done messed up” to charging admission to his pre-draft draft party, to his launching of his Haskins brand before draft day, to asking for Theisman’s number before he did a damn thing. This kid’s ego was there to see from the beginning.

And there is nothing wrong with being cocky. You want your QB to have confidence, but you have to have the skills to back it up. And you you have put in the work to improve and not think success will just come to you naturally in the pros like it did in college.
He played with Dobbins, Campbell, McLauren. Chase Young and Nick Bosa amongst other NFL players. It was my concern with Burrow as well. Sussing out degrees of dominance against inferior talent is harder to figure out chicken vs egg when it’s an all star college team 

He played with Dobbins, Campbell, McLauren. Chase Young and Nick Bosa amongst other NFL players. It was my concern with Burrow as well. Sussing out degrees of dominance against inferior talent is harder to figure out chicken vs egg when it’s an all star college team 
This is so true. I was down on Haskins even pre-draft for this exact reason. The fact that McLauren was only a secondary receiver at Ohio State says it all. It’s the same reason I want no part of Fields (and this was before he looked lackluster against somewhat competent defenses).

This is so true. I was down on Haskins even pre-draft for this exact reason. The fact that McLauren was only a secondary receiver at Ohio State says it all. It’s the same reason I want no part of Fields (and this was before he looked lackluster against somewhat competent defenses).
You got lucky you were right if this is your process. Peyton Manning played with two 2nd round WR’s and one 1st round WR plus Jamal Lewis at RB. QB is a hard evaluation and knocking a guy for succeeding with the talent he has around him is a not a worthwhile knock. I have a feeling if Washington hadn’t drafted him he would have slipped out of the first and expectations would have been more inline with what legitimate front offices felt like. 

You got lucky you were right if this is your process. Peyton Manning played with two 2nd round WR’s and one 1st round WR plus Jamal Lewis at RB. QB is a hard evaluation and knocking a guy for succeeding with the talent he has around him is a not a worthwhile knock. I have a feeling if Washington hadn’t drafted him he would have slipped out of the first and expectations would have been more inline with what legitimate front offices felt like. 
I remember draftniks having Haskins fairly high up, actually. Who's from that class? Is anybody lighting it up in the pros? 

I honestly forget already. 

Users who are viewing this thread