What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (2 Viewers)

The Redskins new coaching staff is operating with Dwayne Haskins as the clear-cut starter.

Washington's VP of player development Doug Williams reassured that Haskins is the starting quarterback for 2020 despite all of the front office and coaching staff turnover this offseason. Haskins not only needs more help from management, but he also needs skill position upgrades to reach his first-round potential. Terry McLaurin is the only pass catcher that can be counted on moving forward, so expect Washington to look at the incoming rookie receiver class. Last year, Haskins averaged 6.7 yards per attempt with just seven passing touchdowns across seven games.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 8, 2020, 3:21 PM ET

Redskins should stick with Dwayne Haskins; NFL combine risers

Excerpt:

I don't know if Ron Rivera and the Washington Redskins are seriously considering moving on from Dwayne Haskins to grab one of the top quarterbacks in the 2020 NFL Draft, but I believe walking away from Haskins after a seven-game stint as the team's starter would be a colossal mistake.

Rivera recently told reporters that all options are on the table with the second overall pick, but I'll say it again: If the Redskins decide to part ways with Haskins after a year, the team will eventually regret dismissing a franchise quarterback with the talent and potential to bring a Lombardi Trophy home to the Washington D.C. area.

I know that statement will be met with eye rolls, laughs and snickers from some folks, but I'm willing to go all in on the second-year pro after reviewing the All-22 Coaches Film from his rookie season. Haskins not only exhibits the arm talent, poise and confidence to be a franchise quarterback but his steady improvement over the course of the season suggests that his game will pop in Year 2.

It's important to note that Haskins posted a 67.1 percent completion rate and 5:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio in his final three starts. In fact, he recorded a 120-plus passer rating in each of his last two outings (against the Eagles and Giants). Imagine what his production could be with a Pro Bowl-caliber offensive tackle protecting his blindside and a supporting cast around him that features more than a talented rookie WR1 (Terry McLaurin) and an aging RB1 (Adrian Peterson) defying the odds as an old runner.

To get a full measure of Haskins' performance and potential, you have to go beyond the numbers. The Redskins' QB1 looked comfortable firing the ball out to the perimeter on an assortment of quick-rhythm throws, particularly on slants, skinny posts and digs targeted between the numbers. Haskins repeatedly delivered the ball on time and on target, giving his receivers opportunities to run away from defenders in the open field. Considering the importance of YAC (yards after catch) to most offenses, Haskins' accuracy and ball placement are critical to the team's success.

As a classic dropback passer, Haskins is at his best when he's able to set up from a clean pocket and deliver darts. He's deadly accurate when given time, and his ability to carve up defenses following play-action fakes should make the run-action game a priority in the Redskins' new playbook under coordinator Scott Turner (the son of longtime coach Norv). In addition, Haskins' ability to identify open receivers in empty and spread formations gives Washington options when determining how to attack opponents who feature heavy pressure tactics. 

From a critical standpoint, Haskins' athletic limitations prevent the Redskins from doing some of the cutting-edge RPOs that are popping up around the league, but he's dabbled with the speed option and utilized his legs to buy time within the pocket or scramble for first downs on broken plays. Although he isn't a legitimate threat to take it the distance as a runner, he is agile enough to be utilized in a movement passing game that features bootlegs and half-roll plays. Now, Haskins needs to learn from the selfie incident that occurred last season and show more maturity. He also needs to live up to the work ethic expectations required of franchise quarterbacks. By all accounts, the reports on Haskins' offseason work habits this year have been good and I've heard from sources within the building that he's spent more time at the facility working on his game. Sure, it might just be part of a plan to make a solid first impression on the new coaching staff, but it should be viewed as a step in the right direction for a 22-year-old quarterback with only a year and a half of advanced-level playing experience (one-year starter at Ohio State; seven-game starter with the Redskins). 

When I compare Haskins with the top quarterbacks available in the 2020 draft (Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa), I don't know if you can rate either as a better prospect based on their collegiate resumes. Sure, Burrow is the toast of the town coming off a spectacular 60-touchdown season that culminated with a national title win for LSU, but Haskins had a 50-touchdown season at Ohio State after defeating Burrow in a hotly contested quarterback competition during the spring of 2018.

In fact, when I asked former Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer -- the man who oversaw that QB competition -- about Haskins and Burrow during an episode of the Move The Sticks Podcast in the fall, he suggested Haskins was the more talented QB while lauding Burrow's leadership and work ethic. 

Although both players' games have continued to evolve and grow since that battle, I'm inclined to lean on the opinion of a three-time national-champion coach with intimate knowledge of each player. With the outcome of their competition in mind, I don't know if the Redskins can guarantee Burrow is an upgrade over the incumbent at the position. Plus, Burrow won't even be an option for Washington with its top pick (No. 2 overall) if the Bengals take him with the first overall selection.

In considering Tagovailoa, the Redskins would need to ponder the risk-versus-reward scenario in drafting a player with an extensive injury history. There's no denying Tua's talent, but the former Alabama standout has suffered a spate of lower-body injuries (both ankles, knee and hip) that lead to concerns about his durability. A major milestone in his recovery from the hip injury that ended his 2019 season might be just a few days away, as he said last week at the NFL Scouting Combine that he's expecting to be cleared by doctors for full-speed workouts on March 9.

Sure, Tua could be a left-handed version of Drew Brees, but injuries could prevent him from ever reaching his potential if those woes follow him into the league. Given the current state of the Redskinsfranchise, can it afford to roll the dice on a prospect with that type of injury history?

That's why I would stand on the table in pre-draft meetings and urge the team to proceed with Haskins as the franchise quarterback. Doing so would allow the Redskins to use their draft capital to attack the roster's biggest holes. From the lack of a young, A-level pass rusher to the need to identify a blue-chip left tackle (if Trent Williams does indeed depart after receiving permission to seek a trade) and add playmakers on the perimeter (tight end and wide receiver), the Redskins will have to acquire more high-end players at several spots to close the gap on their division rivals. 

If Rivera is committed to getting the Redskins back to title contention, he should move forward with No. 7 as the team's QB1 and let him grow into being the franchise quarterback many envisioned when his name was called on Draft Day last year.

DWAYNE HASKINS QB, WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Redskins coach Ron Rivera said drafting Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 draft was never really an option.

Rivera stated, "We just feel about the things we saw from Dwayne (Haskins) ... I feel good enough about him that I’m willing to take that chance, that opportunity." The comments contradict previous assertions that Washington was considering all options with the No. 2 overall pick, but that was likely just gamesmanship from Rivera and company before the draft. Haskins didn't exactly set the league on fire as a rookie, but he was hardly in a position to succeed with the offense's mediocre supporting cast, and he does deserve credit for improving as the season went on. The Big Ten's all-time leader in single-season touchdowns needs to continue to get better in order to keep the starting job, although it's a bit premature to write off Haskins' career.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Apr 30, 2020, 10:50 AM ET

Mailbag: How Much Will Dwayne Haskins Improve in His Second Year?

Excerpt:

From Colby West (@ColbyWest3): Will Dwayne Haskins improve upon year 1 in Washington?

Colby, I think so. Last year was rocky, even by that star-crossed franchise’s standards. As a result, Haskins had two different head coaches and two different play-callers in his first season, and is now preparing to play for his third head coaches and his third play-caller. On top of that, left tackle Trent Williams didn’t play in 2019, and the team’s leading receiver was third-round pick Terry McLaurin, Haskins’s college teammate who was every bit as new as the QB—and the only guy on the team with over 400 receiving yards.

Call me crazy, but I’m not sure those are the best conditions under which to evaluate a young quarterback. And after striking out on Amari Cooper and dealing off Williams, I’m not sure the cast around Haskins is going to be markedly better. But I do think coach Ron Rivera and coordinator Scott Turner will do their best to insulate Haskins, even while pushing him with the trade for Kyle Allen, who was with Rivera and Turner in Carolina.

And I think that stability will give Haskins a better chance, and I say that with all respect to Jay Gruden, Bill Callahan and Kevin O’Connell. The writing was on the wall for all those guys last year. Being at the beginning of something, rather than the end of something else, should benefit a lot of players in that place.

Redskins QB Dwayne Haskins slimmed down to 220 pounds this offseason.

He entered the league at 231 as a rookie. Washington's VP of player development, Doug Williams, reassured the former No. 15 overall pick that he's the organization's starting quarterback moving forward, though Haskins may struggle in his second year given the turnover throughout Washington's coaching staff. Suddenly surrounded with a bevy of different styles (rookies Antonio Gibson and Antonio Gandy-Golden included) of talent on offense, coach Ron Rivera would likely settle for positive development from the 23-year-old as a win.

SOURCE: Dwayne Haskins on Twitter

May 15, 2020, 9:26 AM ET

Here is another young QB who the COVID-19 pandemic will really hurt (Daniel Jones the other one). If you read my posts in this thread Haskins to me was always a "sit out and learn Year 1" QB. He really needed a full training camp of coaches who believe in him to grow as a QB and he won't get it; that will delay his growth substantially.

Here is another young QB who the COVID-19 pandemic will really hurt (Daniel Jones the other one). If you read my posts in this thread Haskins to me was always a "sit out and learn Year 1" QB. He really needed a full training camp of coaches who believe in him to grow as a QB and he won't get it; that will delay his growth substantially.

It really depends how things go. Despite the way the numbers are trending the NFL just announced that teams will get to training camp on time. No in-person mini-camps, but there's plenty of time for things to get close to on track (along with the extra stuff he's done outside the team-mandated work) if things go as planned. I'm skeptical that training camp happens as planned so you may be right. 

It really depends how things go. Despite the way the numbers are trending the NFL just announced that teams will get to training camp on time. No in-person mini-camps, but there's plenty of time for things to get close to on track (along with the extra stuff he's done outside the team-mandated work) if things go as planned. I'm skeptical that training camp happens as planned so you may be right. 
Is there a chance Kyle Allen opens the year as the starter? He already knows the system, and could give them time to not throw Haskins to the wolves so to speak. 

Unrelated side note, while I think Haskins has some promise as a prospect, I think we'll look back in a couple years and really wonder why they passed on Tua.

Is there a chance Kyle Allen opens the year as the starter? He already knows the system, and could give them time to not throw Haskins to the wolves so to speak. 
Not really, he'd have to bomb training camp in spectacular fashion. He's been in contact and impressing Rivera and Turner, big time. Rivers isn't a bull####ter and has been honest even in the media about what he wanted Haskins to show, and he says he's surpassing expectations. You can never know until they're on the field, but I think Rivera is aware that his best chance to succeed is developing the toolsy guy they have on 4-5 cost controlled years. 

Haskins was immature last year, but he also knew he wasn't wanted in that building. They gave a lame duck HC who knew he was doomed a raw rookie and said "deal with it". And it failed on both ends.

So Rivera set high expectations and a no-bull#### attitude, but also has made it clear Haskins has got his chance to be the guy if he does his part. Haskins seems to thrive off of that, so far. Being believed in but expected to work.

Unrelated side note, while I think Haskins has some promise as a prospect, I think we'll look back in a couple years and really wonder why they passed on Tua.

This is my greatest fear, obviously, as he was right there. But Haskins has a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still can't believe they didn't pick Tua and dump selfie man for whatever random 2nd or 3rd they could have gotten. I really thought Rivera had the guts to do it

Might take the Cardinals having some success for teams to realize finding a legit QB>>>all

I bet they're sure regretting passing on "generational" Bosa and having him and Chandler Jones dominate up front only to go 3-13 every year because Rosen sucks 🙄

I still can't believe they didn't pick Tua and dump selfie man for whatever random 2nd or 3rd they could have gotten. I really thought Rivera had the guts to do it

Might take the Cardinals having some success for teams to realize finding a legit QB>>>all

I bet they're sure regretting passing on "generational" Bosa and having him and Chandler Jones dominate up front only to go 3-13 every year because Rosen sucks.
I also thought that the Redskins should choose Tua and have both he and Haskins actually compete for the job for a year. They'd likely be able to showcase both that way and drum up the price for potential suitors.

I also thought that the Redskins should choose Tua and have both he and Haskins actually compete for the job for a year. They'd likely be able to showcase both that way and drum up the price for potential suitors.
I mean if we are being honest: them picking Tua would have meant Dwayne getting traded.

Taking Tua and then dealing him in camp for less than the number 2 pick would have been a real Adam Gase move

Picking QBs in successive years in the 1st sets you back a ton due to lost draft capital. It only works of the loser of the competition still retains the 1st round pedigree so you can deal him, and that usually doesn't happen (i.e. Josh Rosen).

For the record, drafting a QB the coach and his staff hated, then playing him with no offensive line when he really should've redshirted the year was irresponsible and could've David Carr'd him. Lucky for him the previous staff was mostly cleared out, now it's up to Dwyane to keep progressing through these difficult times; really gonna challenge that work ethic and hunger. 

It actually, according to PFF, wouldn't have wasted picks on back-to-back picks because of the way they calculate win shares. Their suggestion was to take both QBs. I agree with it. 

Picking QBs in successive years in the 1st sets you back a ton due to lost draft capital. It only works of the loser of the competition still retains the 1st round pedigree so you can deal him, and that usually doesn't happen.

For the record, drafting a QB the coach and his staff hated, then playing him with no offensive line when he really should've redshirted the year was irresponsible and could've David Carr'd him.
You can play this same excuse game with Rosen--who had an even worse supporting cast in the 2018 Cardinals (IMO the worst NFL team of the last few years-worse than the 0-16 Browns) and a way worse head coach in Steve Wilks (Gruden was definitely better than that guy)

Hitting on a QB is more important than anything else

I really doubt the Cardinals are regretting taking Kyler over Bosa because they "only" got a 2nd for Rosen (who is now worthless)

Admittedly I never liked Haskins as a prospect. Thought he was a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder propped up by playing at Ohio State. Certainly didn't see anything his rookie year to change my mind

I agree with this, even as a Haskins truther and a Tua skeptic. I think teams should keep drafting quarterbacks til they find one. It's fine to have more than one, but near impossible to win without one. Tua wouldnt be a wasted pick unless he's no good. If they're both good, trade him or let him sign elsewhere and gather the comp pick. 

As good as he is, Chase Daniels will just be a great player on a bad team if Haskins doesn't work out. 

You can play this same excuse game with Rosen--who had an even worse supporting cast in the 2018 Cardinals (IMO the worst NFL team of the last few years-worse than the 0-16 Browns) and a way worse head coach in Steve Wilks (Gruden was definitely better than that guy)

Hitting on a QB is more important than anything else

I really doubt the Cardinals are regretting taking Kyler over Bosa because they "only" got a 2nd for Rosen (who is now worthless)

Admittedly I never liked Haskins as a prospect. Thought he was a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder propped up by playing at Ohio State. Certainly didn't see anything his rookie year to change my mind
That's not exactly true; Rosen was deemed NFL-ready and a lot of people thought he was the most NFL ready QB that draft. Haskins was supposed to redshirt his 1st year with whomever signed him, but was forced into action rather noncommittally by Gruden. If it's one thing I'll say about WIlks, it's that he worked with Rosen and believed in him a helluva lot more than Gruden did with Haskins. When your coach admits not wanting you as the QB and is trying to win games, that's something that affects you. Heck, even Dwyane knew it; the whole situation was a top-down organizational issue too.

That's not exactly true; Rosen was deemed NFL-ready and a lot of people thought he was the most NFL ready QB that draft. Haskins was supposed to redshirt his 1st year with whomever signed him, but was forced into action rather noncommittally by Gruden. If it's one thing I'll say about WIlks, it's that he worked with Rosen and believed in him a helluva lot more than Gruden did with Haskins. When your coach admits not wanting you as the QB and is trying to win games, that's something that affects you. Heck, even Dwyane knew it; the whole situation was a top-down organizational issue too.
Fair enough. Rosen was considered pro ready but I don't think anyone wanted to throw in a guy considered to have issues with mobility/being a statue being the Cardinals OL.

Sam Bradford sucking so much he had to be cut after 3 games pressed the issue

I do agree that the Gruden bit was an issue. He is better than Wilks in a vacuum but should have been fired before last year if they were set on Haskins or they should just not have picked Haskins and listened to Gruden

I just don't think Tua is the type of prospect you pass on though when your QB hasn't shown anything yet.

Josh Allen and Sam Darnold haven't exactly "hit" yet but they had terrible supporting casts their rookie years and showed enough to make me (and their teams) believe that they could be longtime starters with improvement. Rosen did not.

I see a similar dynamic with Daniel Jones (who had a 5th round rookie as his number 1 WR and Wayne Gallman as his RB most of the year with a poor OL) and Haskins, and thought the Redskins (or whatever they are) should have pulled the trigger on Burrow or Tua if they were available. Jones did have support within the organization though even as everyone else mocked and made fun of him; that is a difference--not sure how much it changes/should be considered--but it is a difference in their situations

Just Burrow or Tua though--if the choice was a bum like Herbert then easily give Haskins another shot

John Keim @john_keim

Rivera on Haskins: "He's done a great job studying and preparing and getting himself ready. He's been on the field doing things asked of him. He's done the extra stuff he and I talked about in the offseason. ...He's done the job that I think deserves recognition."

John Keim @john_keim

Rivera "pleasantly surprised" by Alex Smith's progress.. Can : envision Alex Smith competing for job (this is a good development but also hear that while he looks better, Is he the same? That's still TBD).

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1290731972571037698?s=21

Kyle Stackpole @kylefstackpole

Head coach Ron Rivera said Dwayne Haskins Jr. "made some really good decisions" during today's practice.
https://twitter.com/kylefstackpole/status/1295737363969323010?s=21

Kyle Stackpole @kylefstackpole

Takeaways from Haskins’ 10 plays:

- Great timing on a comeback route to McLaurin on the sideline. Ball was released before McLaurin turned

- Nice pass breakup from Darby.

- Payne bats down a pass

- Haskins overthrow over the middle. One of only a few bad throws
https://twitter.com/kylefstackpole/status/1295729583816429570?s=21

Say way what you will about Haskins; however, his work ethic and desire to become a great QB is there:

JP Finlay @JPFinlayNBCS

Dwayne Haskins staying after practice and getting more work in
https://twitter.com/jpfinlaynbcs/status/1295732187829096450?s=21

John Keim @john_keim

Dwayne Haskins has shown more mobility in the pocket, owing to his offseason work. Once, he moved to his left and slung a sidearm throw to avoid pressure, completing a pass 10 yards downfield to receiver Cam Sims, with a defender blanketed on him. In... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…
https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1296163491095678976?s=21

John Keim @ John_Keim

Haskins had another one the red zone in which Inman ran in motion and sprinted to his left as Haskins looked to his right. Nothing was there. He looked back to the left and found Inman all by himself. Easy $$.
https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1296164264391188480?s=21

John Keim @John_Keim

He still has a few things to work on. Has been sailing too many throws; it's a point of emphasis for the coaches and for him so we'll see how that progresses.
https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1296165074801963009?s=21

Users who are viewing this thread