What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (4 Viewers)

I remember draftniks having Haskins fairly high up, actually. Who's from that class? Is anybody lighting it up in the pros? 

I honestly forget already. 
A lot of mock drafts had Haskins going to the Giants at pick #6, the Giants took Daniel Jones instead.

A lot of mock drafts had Haskins going to the Giants at pick #6, the Giants took Daniel Jones instead.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I remember him being mad that his hometown passed on him. But I'm wondering about whereabouts they thought Haskins would be taken if not for the Giants. I just didn't post that because, well, one can't include every thought in one's head, or one would type about 10,000 words. 

You got lucky you were right if this is your process. Peyton Manning played with two 2nd round WR’s and one 1st round WR plus Jamal Lewis at RB. QB is a hard evaluation and knocking a guy for succeeding with the talent he has around him is a not a worthwhile knock. I have a feeling if Washington hadn’t drafted him he would have slipped out of the first and expectations would have been more inline with what legitimate front offices felt like. 
You really comparing a guy who was considered a generational talent coming out of college in Manning to Haskins, who started 14 games in his entire college career?

Maybe I should have specified Ohio State, as that’s the main reason I was wary of drafting him. That is simply a system that does not produce successful pro QBs regardless of the gaudy numbers they put up. Go ahead and name the last one to be successful in the pros. I’ll wait. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You really comparing a guy who was considered a generational talent coming out of college in Manning to Haskins, who started 14 games in his entire college career?

Maybe I should have specified Ohio State, as that’s the main reason I was wary of drafting him. That is simply a system that does not produce successful pro QBs regardless of the gaudy numbers they put up. Go ahead and name the last one to be successful in the pros. I’ll wait. 
No. I’m saying your process is dumb. Judging someone because he succeeded with good players around him is bizarre and nonsense. You seriously think you can identify someone as bad because he played with good players when NFL scouts havent done it ever? That was my point. Peyton caused three WR’s to be drafted way, way higher than they should have gone. It’s like telling me you know if the chicken or egg came first. 

Ex-Washington Football Team QB Dwayne Haskins went unclaimed on waivers. 

It's not surprising after Haskins' spectacular flameout in Washington this month, and really the past two years. Haskins is still only 23, but the two biggest questions about his NFL future — mindset and movement skills — have not been put to rest. For what it's worth, NFL Network's Jim Trotter spoke with a head coach Tuesday who believes Haskins' career is "salvageable." Haskins playing in his hometown was viewed as a poor idea from the start from many in the loop. Haskins will almost certainly get an offseason second chance, but it will be a "zero tolerance" situation wherever he ends up. 

RELATED: 

Washington Football Team

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Dec 29, 2020, 4:28 PM ET

No. I’m saying your process is dumb. Judging someone because he succeeded with good players around him is bizarre and nonsense. You seriously think you can identify someone as bad because he played with good players when NFL scouts havent done it ever? That was my point. Peyton caused three WR’s to be drafted way, way higher than they should have gone. It’s like telling me you know if the chicken or egg came first. 
The only thing dumb here is your insistence on comparing his situation to that of Peyton. Nobody was concerned about potentiality drafting Peyton because Jamal Lewis might have made him look better than he actually was.  There is no chicken or the egg analysis here. The guy was a generational talent and 4 year starter. Haskins started 14 games. If you are going for comparisons here, this is about the worst one you could have chosen to make your argument.

My argument, which you of course ignored, was I wouldn’t have drafted Haskins because he came out the of Ohio State system. Urban Meyer’s system hasn’t produced a successful NFL QB despite gaudy numbers. This is a product of the system they run, and yes, also the exceptional surrounding talent featured around the QB. Terry Mclaurin, Parris Campbell, and Dobbins were never considered potential products of Haksins’ success. It is one reason why if the Skins didn’t draft him at 15, it was reported that he was expected to tumble down the draft board. The Skins’ own front office had similar concerns about him and didn’t want to draft the guy, but Dan Snyder forced their hand and made the pick.

Not only does Haskins need a new team, he also needs a new agent:

“Haskins and David Mulugheta of Athletes First have mutually agreed to part ways, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com.”

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers have interest in free agent Dwayne Haskins.

Haskins is "receiving interest from several teams" after going unclaimed on waivers. He's not expected to sign before the end of the season, but Haskins is a sure bet to resurface as a 23-year-old that's only a year removed from being the No. 15 overall pick. The Panthers, who have P.J. Walker and Will Grier behind Teddy Bridgewater, would be a good scheme fit for Haskins.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: NFL Network

Dec 30, 2020, 10:01 AM ET

Babooya said:
He played with Dobbins, Campbell, McLauren. Chase Young and Nick Bosa amongst other NFL players. It was my concern with Burrow as well. Sussing out degrees of dominance against inferior talent is harder to figure out chicken vs egg when it’s an all star college team 
Burrow... Against "inferior talent"? 

:lmao:

I would argue that everyone in the NCAA was an inferior talent to the 2019 LSU team.
You could argue that, and there's a strong case that Alabama had an equitable team. His game against bama convinced me that he could be really good. Obviously he might not live up to it, but there's a world of difference between the talent Burrow and Haskins played against.

Steelers signed Dwayne Haskins to a one-year deal. 

The team signed Haskins after meeting with him Thursday. The 23-year-old quarterback will look to reestablish himself in Pittsburgh after a horrific two-year run in Washington that ended with Haskins losing his captain spot after violating COVID-19 protocols by attending a maskless party. Haskins certainly isn't a lock to be on the Steelers' 53-man roster to start the 2021 season, and we'd expect the team to add other QB options with Ben Roethlisberger entering the twilight of his career.

- Adam Schefter

Last edited by a moderator:

What would you have said about Texas Tech QBs before Mahomes hit?

The only thing dumb here is your insistence on comparing his situation to that of Peyton. Nobody was concerned about potentiality drafting Peyton because Jamal Lewis might have made him look better than he actually was.  There is no chicken or the egg analysis here. The guy was a generational talent and 4 year starter. Haskins started 14 games. If you are going for comparisons here, this is about the worst one you could have chosen to make your argument.

My argument, which you of course ignored, was I wouldn’t have drafted Haskins because he came out the of Ohio State system. Urban Meyer’s system hasn’t produced a successful NFL QB despite gaudy numbers. This is a product of the system they run, and yes, also the exceptional surrounding talent featured around the QB. Terry Mclaurin, Parris Campbell, and Dobbins were never considered potential products of Haksins’ success. It is one reason why if the Skins didn’t draft him at 15, it was reported that he was expected to tumble down the draft board. The Skins’ own front office had similar concerns about him and didn’t want to draft the guy, but Dan Snyder forced their hand and made the pick.
Your process is awful, full stop. 

The “I don’t like player X because he played for X school or X coach” has been debunked five million times in my over two decades of doing this hobby. Yet, here we still are. You know how much that has to do with anyone’s success in the NFL: zero. Absolutely zero. 

This is why, as a Steelers fan, I'm okay with this signing because there's some talent there. The questions are how much talent
I'm actually very happy with the signing. It's right from Al Davis playbook, sign pedigreed player who failed at his first stop and hope you can fix him.  Am I confident he's the answer or heir apparent? Not even remotely close but when you don't have the answer or heir apparent you don't leave any stone unturned.

As for his talent I would say he has big time arm talent but before we get into the mental processing side of things his lack of mobility is a dying breed among QB's in today's NFL,  Steelers seem to be trying to corner the market on them right now. So overall I see him as merely a good talent but for sure there is some there, more then I've seen with Rudolph.

I was gonna say, the ONLY "talent" he has shown is a strong arm. But he struggles with touch, maturity, mobility, and reading/processing in the pocket. If a strong arm was all that was needed to play in the NFL J. Russell would have been an all-pro. 

She split his lip & knocked his tooth out! 

Apparently in a Vegas hotel room. There's a backstory here and I would love to read it, but it's always a sad situation. 

Still - gotta wonder if someone gambled too much, hit the strip club when they shouldn't have, etc. If this happened anywhere but Vegas I wouldn't be as curious. 
Haskins never has shown great ability to avoid pressure.  Pull the plug on this guy's career.  If you're an NFL QB and can't keep your house together, how do you expect to run an NFL offense?  RIP

Haskins never has shown great ability to avoid pressure.  Pull the plug on this guy's career.  If you're an NFL QB and can't keep your house together, how do you expect to run an NFL offense?  RIP
Agree about his career, but domestic violence does go both ways, and if she knocked his tooth out & he didn't hit her back, kudos to him. 

I'll judge him for his on-field stuff, but in a highly emotionally charged situation like this it's hard to lay judgement on a dude who got caught up in a bad moment with a person who was clearly feeling  some feels. 

Society tends to see male on female domestic violence differently than female on male, and that's not right. It's all the same thing. 

That all said, I still wanna know what set her off. 

have seen several reports that she and her friends went to see a show, and he and his friends went to a club without waiting for everyone to go together.     guess maybe he likes a little crazy.
Yeah, that doesn't sound like it's worth a tooth, tbh. 

have seen several reports that she and her friends went to see a show, and he and his friends went to a club without waiting for everyone to go together.     guess maybe he likes a little crazy.
The crazy thing is they were supposedly there for some kind of vow renewal or something. 

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly noted that Dwayne Haskins has looked "surprisingly good" in training camp.

After practice, Haskins said that he has "been told certain things" about his future with the Steelers, although he didn't add any further details. Given this comment and his hot start to training camp, it's fair to assume that Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh staff see Haskins as at least a long-term backup option. Haskins is still behind Mason Rudolph, who will draw the start in the Hall of Fame Game, but the latter has been lackluster in most of his opportunities with the Steelers. Haskins is far from a complete player as well but his first-round pedigree and impressive film at Ohio State point to an upside that Rudolph doesn't possess. With Ben Roethlisberger nearly at the end of his career, the battle for backup duties in Pittsburgh will be one to watch throughout camp. 

RELATED: 

Mason Rudolph

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 3, 2021, 9:18 PM ET

Mason Rudolph has had 4 years to show who he is. Dwayne Haskins, ostensibly one play from his 1st game action yesterday, spent warm-ups throwing lousy passes & checking his phone. Ben Roethlisberger may not be who he once was, but there’s a reason he’s your QB, #Steelers fans. link

funny going back in this thread and reading around draft time.

Mason Rudolph has had 4 years to show who he is. Dwayne Haskins, ostensibly one play from his 1st game action yesterday, spent warm-ups throwing lousy passes & checking his phone. Ben Roethlisberger may not be who he once was, but there’s a reason he’s your QB, #Steelers fans. link

funny going back in this thread and reading around draft time.
To quote the amazing Geddy Lee, the more the things change, the more they stay the same. Haskins will NEVER be anything in the NFL. He's too immature to ever make it in the league. He hasn't changed a bit since he was acting like an idiot in Washington. 

Users who are viewing this thread