What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (2 Viewers)

Massive amount is misdirection the last few weeks of the draft, some due to outside people and some due to the Giants themselves.
Exactly this.  I don’t buy for a second that he slips, and think if he’s there at 6 that he’s locked in as the Giants pick.  I know some Giants fans strongly disagree, so this will be fun to watch play out.

The big red flag in the smokescreen is the report that the Giants have "barely" seen Haskins work out... except we have Twitter reports from verified journals who say every Giants draft bigwig have been watching Haskins, especially his Pro Day where there are pictures. Today is another example, Haskins will visit the Giants this week yet you've seen reports Giants are "done" with Haskins.

The second BS moment is the report that Haskins could be the 4th QB chosen. It's definitely possible Drew Lock could leapfrog Haskins, but Daniel effing Jones? Get outta here with that BS. I'm echoing Louis Riddick, if that happens there needs to be an investigation or a GM needs to get fired.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830603-if-nfl-teams-like-dwayne-haskins-why-is-he-tumbling-down-draft-boards

I feel like all of this stuff just makes it more obvious the Giants want him and are hopeful no team trades in front of them to select him. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter has "spoken to teams who don't have a first-round grade on" Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

Speaking to SiriusXMFantasy, Schefter predicted Haskins will be picked in the "10-17" range. A narrative has emerged suggesting Haskins' early first-round value is a media creation and teams are lower on the quarterback than the pundits. NBC Sports' Peter King even speculated Haskins could "be the fourth passer picked in this draft." Even if all of that is true, it would be a shock if the quarterback fell past the Giants at No. 17.

SOURCE: Mike Clay on Twitter

Apr 16, 2019, 7:40 AM

Watching Dwyane Haskins on NFL Live and it's becoming more apparent the smokescreen started a few weeks after Murray declared by the Giants. There were rumors Haskins would be picked before #6 then, now people are saying there's an outside chance Haskins lasts until #17? It's amazing.

Listening to him chat with Louis Riddick (a guy I would've loved as Giants GM over Dave "I hate analytics" Gettleman), the more I'm convinced if the Giants want Haskins and a defensive player, they should move up from #17 to #9/#10 (Buffalo/Denver) and give up a late rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller passes along that "multiple sources in other front offices" have told him that the New York Giants have "always" been eyeing Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

The rumor mill will be churning up a storm over the next six days, with the "will they, won't they" melodrama of New York and Haskins a storyline that figures to keep its legs until next Thursday. Miller believes through his little birdies that the Giants set up a fake slide smokescreen and really, really do want Haskins at No. 6. Should they bypass Haskins, they could still settle for Daniel Jones (or another) at No. 17.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 19, 2019, 9:22 AM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah reports that there is "chatter" that the Washington Redskins like Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

Washington doesn't pick until 15th overall, so they will either need to move up or hope Haskins (6'3/213) falls as some expect. While this does make sense, it's fair to speculate that Washington is trying to leverage their love for Haskins against the Arizona Cardinals when it comes to Josh Rosen trade conversations. Jeremiah also reports that Haskins is either QB1 or QB2 on most team's boards, so it's just a matter of if the teams in the top-11 have him as best available or not.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 4:04 PM

Pro Football Focus notes that Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins was second in passer rating with a clean pocket among draft-eligible quarterbacks.

Haskins (6'3/213) is arguably the best in-pocket quarterback in the draft. His arm strength and accuracy are above average, and Ohio State coaches praise his ability to diagnose coverages. Haskins doesn't have athleticism like so many of the new-age quarterbacks, but the rest of his skills should make him a top-11 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Apr 20, 2019, 6:06 PM

Bold Prediction:

Haskins is selected with the 5th pick overall. 
That would be unexpected and would probably catch Gettleman off guard.

I like Haskins and think the Giants should hedge bets and move-up if they want him and I think they do considering the amount of work they've done on him.

I have the Giants moving up ahead of the Bucs and Raiders to assure they get him in my updated mock.

That is the only trade I project in the first round...

Post Combine mock UPDATED 4-20 

(Updated week before the draft with one trade I think might happen).

That would be unexpected and would probably catch Gettleman off guard.

I like Haskins and think the Giants should hedge bets and move-up if they want him and I think they do considering the amount of work they've done on him.

I have the Giants moving up ahead of the Bucs and Raiders to assure they get him in my updated mock.

That is the only trade I project in the first round...

Post Combine mock UPDATED 4-20 

(Updated week before the draft with one trade I think might happen).
If they want him I think they need to move up.  It's fairly obvious they do with the amount of time they've spent.  If it goes Murray and some order of Bosa, Williams, Allen I would expect Tampa to deal their pick to someone who wants to get in front of NY.  If Washington truly likes him as well it would make a ton of sense for them to make that move. 

If they want him I think they need to move up.  It's fairly obvious they do with the amount of time they've spent.  If it goes Murray and some order of Bosa, Williams, Allen I would expect Tampa to deal their pick to someone who wants to get in front of NY.  If Washington truly likes him as well it would make a ton of sense for them to make that move. 
Washington is screwed at QB.  Not just the injury to Alex Smith but they are on the hook with the salary cap devoted to the QB position so the only way out is to get a QB still on his rookie contract.  

Josh Rosen  still has four years left on his rookie contract so...  It just makes sense IMHO that happens.

Washington is screwed at QB.  Not just the injury to Alex Smith but they are on the hook with the salary cap devoted to the QB position so the only way out is to get a QB still on his rookie contract.  

Josh Rosen  still has four years left on his rookie contract so...  It just makes sense IMHO that happens.
Moving to #5 would cost significantly more, but they'd get Haskins for an additional year, and Rosen is tainted to me.  The Cardinals hired KK knowing they had the #1 pick and knowing he'd want Murray.  That tells me a lot about what they think about Rosen and it isn't positive. 

The big red flag in the smokescreen is the report that the Giants have "barely" seen Haskins work out... except we have Twitter reports from verified journals who say every Giants draft bigwig have been watching Haskins, especially his Pro Day where there are pictures. Today is another example, Haskins will visit the Giants this week yet you've seen reports Giants are "done" with Haskins.

The second BS moment is the report that Haskins could be the 4th QB chosen. It's definitely possible Drew Lock could leapfrog Haskins, but Daniel effing Jones? Get outta here with that BS. I'm echoing Louis Riddick, if that happens there needs to be an investigation or a GM needs to get fired.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830603-if-nfl-teams-like-dwayne-haskins-why-is-he-tumbling-down-draft-boards
"Haskins?  Never heard of him "

:lmao:

-QG

Moving to #5 would cost significantly more, but they'd get Haskins for an additional year, and Rosen is tainted to me.  The Cardinals hired KK knowing they had the #1 pick and knowing he'd want Murray.  That tells me a lot about what they think about Rosen and it isn't positive. 
Rosen is a smart play for Miami or Washington.  Both can get an inexpensive flyer on a QB with upside.  If it doesn't work out they will 'probably' have high draft picks next year.  Cleveland sunk a high 2nd into DeShone Kizer the year before drafting Baker.  It was a long shot gamble that didn't pan out but it wasn't that expensive.  Either could get Rosen for the same amount but Rosen isn't as big of a long shot and Rosen is simply better than Kizer ever was.

I don't think Washington would move-up for Haskins if they can get Rosen and keep their first round picks this and next year. 

Miami trading for Haskins would be pricey because their top pick next year will be a high first round pick and they would be giving up their 1st this and next year.

The Cardinals hired KK knowing they had the #1 pick and knowing he'd want Murray.  That tells me a lot about what they think about Rosen and it isn't positive. 
I dont think this is an absolute fact

You forget, Murray had not yet declared for the NFL prior to AZ hiring KK. Most people felt he was using football to leverage more money from the As. 

Why would a franchise hire a coach who really likes a QB prospect st 1.1 who might declare? that's quite the risk. 

What do you think AZ would do of Murray had not declared for the NFL?

IMO they hired KK because they felt he was the best hire. They had the 1.1, and suddenly Murray declared for the draft, putting them in a pickle. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Dan said:
I dont think this is an absolute fact

You forget, Murray had not yet declared for the NFL prior to AZ hiring KK. Most people felt he was using football to leverage more money from the As. 

Why would a franchise hire a coach who really likes a QB prospect st 1.1 who might declare? that's quite the risk. 

What do you think AZ would do of Murray had not declared for the NFL?

IMO they hired KK because they felt he was the best hire. They had the 1.1, and suddenly Murray declared for the draft, putting them in a pickle. 
You don't think they asked KK what he'd like to do with the #1 pick or how he felt about Rosen during the interview process?  You don't think Murray's decision to declare had anything to do with intel from NFL teams that he'd likely be a/the top pick?

I'd like to think The Cardinals aren't that incompetent. 

The Cardinals are posturing now hoping they can get more for Rosen than what's being offered.  Everyone knows they want to take Murray, and that's driving Rosen's price tag down. 

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins is the Redskins' target in a potential first-round trade-up scenario.

Haskins has quite possibly been the most polarizing draft prospect, particularly over the last couple weeks. Reports have come out that some teams don't even have a first-round grade on the burly ex-Buckeye. But the Redskins link has been there from the beginning. It's possible the Redskins will have to come up all the way into the top-3 in order to secure Haskins. It would cost a ton in draft capital to move up that far from No. 15 overall. For what it's worth, Russini reports the Redskins don't have any interest in Josh Rosen.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Apr 24, 2019, 7:48 AM

According to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer, Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins felt that his best pre-draft meeting was with the Raiders.

This is important information given the reports earlier Wednesday that Washington was looking to move up into the top five in order to pick Haskins (6'3/231). The Raiders pre-draft experience has been an interesting one to say the least, with team president/HC Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock sending their scouts home last week. "Potentially, part of the reason the Raiders decided to handle the scouts the way that they handled them over the course of the weekend was because maybe they had made a decision and they are going to go with a quarterback at number four," Breer said Wednesday.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Periscope

Apr 24, 2019, 3:04 PM

This is a messed up, can’t know the full story but man I’m not sure I’d want the excess baggage  

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/04/heres-the-strange-conversation-i-had-with-dawyne-haskins-father-before-he-hung-up-on-me.html
The writer got stone walled and was frustrated.  He 'apparently' was writing a story from an angle of Dwayne Haskins early years in NJ and tried starting with Haskins Senior but did not get a response so the writer went with his trusted sources and got back to Haskins senior who said his sources could not be trusted but would not tell the writer which of his sources he did not trust.

The dialect from the father had religious overtones so it 'seemed' like he had an agenda "— described as “an entrepreneur promoting Christian and gospel music,".  The writer did not end up going with his story so he went with the story about being frustrated when coming up against Haskins senior.  

It is odd but I don't sense  anything sinister that they are hiding.  

The writer got stone walled and was frustrated.  He 'apparently' was writing a story from an angle of Dwayne Haskins early years in NJ and tried starting with Haskins Senior but did not get a response so the writer went with his trusted sources and got back to Haskins senior who said his sources could not be trusted but would not tell the writer which of his sources he did not trust.

The dialect from the father had religious overtones so it 'seemed' like he had an agenda "— described as “an entrepreneur promoting Christian and gospel music,".  The writer did not end up going with his story so he went with the story about being frustrated when coming up against Haskins senior.  

It is odd but I don't sense  anything sinister that they are hiding.  
Actually he did end up going with his story, and it paints Dwayne in a very positive light.  Sadly that has been completely overshadowed by this bizarre conversation and the reporter's decision to publish it.

The actual article:  https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/04/making-of-dwayne-haskins-tracing-mysterious-nj-roots-of-nfl-draft-pick-maybe-next-giants-quarterback.html

Actually he did end up going with his story, and it paints Dwayne in a very positive light.  Sadly that has been completely overshadowed by this bizarre conversation and the reporter's decision to publish it.

The actual article:  https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/04/making-of-dwayne-haskins-tracing-mysterious-nj-roots-of-nfl-draft-pick-maybe-next-giants-quarterback.html
It seemed from the back-and-forth conversation, the back-and-forth dialogue was the basis of this article that he was not going with the other story unless he could confirm things with Haskins senior.  

The timing of a story like this where the writer hints the father could be an issue for any team who drafts Haskins on the cusp of the draft can be questioned.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders "moved QB Dwayne Haskins up their board late this week."

Earlier in the week, Rapoport said the Raiders will turn in "some sort of surprise pick at No. 4," and selecting a quarterback that early with Derek Carr still on the roster would qualify. Of course, Oakland sent home all of their scouts last week, so it is possible if not likely this "leak" is information the Raiders wanted out there as they either look to trade or manipulate the first three picks. In addition to the fourth pick, the Raiders own the Nos. 24 and 27 picks in Thursday's first round.

RELATED: 

Oakland Raiders

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 6:41 AM

Because he refused to give an interview to a reporter he didn't know?  Ok. 
That was clearly more than “refused to give an interview.”  If you don’t want to give an interview, you say “no thanks, not giving interviews.”  

Not that wacked out, ambiguous nonsense he was spouting.  Maybe the tone of the conversation matters, but by the transcript the reporter seemed more than cordial and attempting to appease the concerns of the elder Haskins.  

And how he could continue to claim that’s “those stories are not accurate” without knowing what stories the reporter had gathered from those sources simply wreaks of a controlling father.  

Excuse me. I am the source.

I am the source.  I’ve been doing this for ten years.  The content is faith, family, and football.

That’s not accurate, those people. That’s where I’m at on it. Let me pray on it.

OK, but at the end of the day, I want you to know: It’s about his family integrity and my core values. Everyone has to match up with that for me.

Alrighty then.

Redskins selected Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins with the No. 15 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

A telegraphed ownership pick, Haskins (6’3/231) started for only one year in Columbus, succeeding J.T. Barrett to engineer a 13-1 record with a 69.8% completion rate at 9.14 yards per attempt and a sparkling 50:8 TD-INT ratio with four more rushing scores. He earned 2018 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, only to finish third in Heisman voting behind Kyler Murray and Tua Tagovailoa. Despite Stephen A. Smith’s claims to the contrary, Haskins is a non-running, pure pocket passer with sluggish 5.04 "speed" and a concerning inability to make plays outside of structure or on the move. Yet Haskins’ pocket toughness, willingness to take chances, and strong arm give him starter upside on the Nick Foles-Byron Leftwich spectrum.

Apr 25, 2019, 7:59 PM

This is a good post to save Frank...will prove prescient in the future
Damnit. I was going to quote that post. 😂 Feel for you, Frank. As much as I hate the Giants, I get your pain right now. It's a pain I expected to have as a Redskins fan when we invariably #### up like always. This is a weird feeling right now. Knowing we crushed the 1st round. I agree with you about Riddick. Some team will get a great GM next year. I was hoping we'd fire Bruce Allen and get him. He has ties to the Skins (former scout there). Good luck with Noodle "Pick 6" Jones! 

Redskins coach Jay Gruden declared Washington's starting quarterback position an open competition.

"I mean Case [Keenum] coming off of the most experience is great," Gruden added. "Colt [McCoy] has the most experience with this terminology in this system, and Dwayne [Haskins] was the 15th pick in the draft. We’ll see what happens." McCoy would likely be penciled in as the team's experienced starter if he weren't still rehabbing from a third surgery on his broken ankle. Even If Keenum somehow wins out as a bridge-starter over Washington's invested No. 15 overall pick, his days would inevitably be numbered ahead of Haskins. The rookie will likely open the season as a 22-year-old Week 1 starting quarterback.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

May 11, 2019, 8:46 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread