What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquise Brown, KC (1 Viewer)

Well that seals the deal, I want nothing to do with him.
no? 

I see him as some major round 2 value. You're getting what could be considered a top 2 or 3 prospect at the position prior to injury for a big discount. 

I dont want to like Brown, and I want to write him off due to injury, but I'm intrigued by him. A blend of Hill and Cooks has my attention at least. I expect to go with a different wr high round 2, but Brown is certainly interesting 

no? 

I see him as some major round 2 value. You're getting what could be considered a top 2 or 3 prospect at the position prior to injury for a big discount. 

I dont want to like Brown, and I want to write him off due to injury, but I'm intrigued by him. A blend of Hill and Cooks has my attention at least. I expect to go with a different wr high round 2, but Brown is certainly interesting 
Hope he works out for you, but it’s too many red flags for me

Ilov80s said:
Hope he works out for you, but it’s too many red flags for me
I guess I'm just starting to do my due diligence on him. Initially I wrote him off as too small from a poundage stand point. 

What dont you like, regarding red flags?

I guess I'm just starting to do my due diligence on him. Initially I wrote him off as too small from a poundage stand point. 

What dont you like, regarding red flags?
That is super small and that he just had lisfranc surgery which has a pretty bad track record of recovery. It doesn’t mean he’s done, just that it reduces the chances he will deliver- especially in the first 2 years.

That is super small and that he just had lisfranc surgery which has a pretty bad track record of recovery. It doesn’t mean he’s done, just that it reduces the chances he will deliver- especially in the first 2 years.
Yes, year one for sure is a question. His biggest selling point is his speed, which may suffer from this surgery. Could be good value I suppose but maybe I'd downgrade him to 3rd round rookie draft lotto pick

Yes, year one for sure is a question. His biggest selling point is his speed, which may suffer from this surgery. Could be good value I suppose but maybe I'd downgrade him to 3rd round rookie draft lotto pick
At some point he’s a good buy just because he is so fast and rookie drafts fall off pretty quickly but I’m not excited about him. I’ll wait to see where he goes before I make a final judgement. 

He's fast, quick,  one of best route runners in draft, basically gets open at will, has inside/outside versatility, great YAC ability.  I'm a huge fan and selfishly viewed his injury as a great buy low opportunity, unless he ends up in Baltimore I'm pretty sure I'll have ranked as least a top 15 player.

He's fast, quick,  one of best route runners in draft, basically gets open at will, has inside/outside versatility, great YAC ability.  I'm a huge fan and selfishly viewed his injury as a great buy low opportunity, unless he ends up in Baltimore I'm pretty sure I'll have ranked as least a top 15 player.
Will consider him at 2.10. Thanks for the heads up.

NFL Film's Greg Cosell said Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown will "align all over the formation."

Despite undergoing surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury in January, Cosell said Brown "will be in demand" because of his ability to spread out a defense. The analyst believes Brown will be utilized both inside and out, but he doesn't expect Brown to be a volume receiver. Last season, Brown accumulated 1,388 yards and 10 touchdowns on his 106 targets (12.4 YPT). As long as his foot injury doesn't flare up, Brown will likely be taken near the Round 1/2 turn.

SOURCE: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 7, 2019, 3:17 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller kept Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown inside of Round 1 in his recent mock draft.

Brown (5'10/168) went to the Philadelphia Eagles with the No. 25 overall pick in his mock, but Brown "would have gone ahead of D.K. Metcalf if he was healthy and tested as well as expected," according to an anonymous director of scouting. But that would be an upset at this point since Brown is dealing with the notorious Lisfranc foot injury and checked-in at just 168 pounds. When further reports surface surrounding the health of his foot, we'll have a better idea of how high Brown will go in the NFL Draft, but, for now, the 25th overall pick sounds about right.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 9, 2019, 6:57 PM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah doesn't "see [Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown] falling out of the first round."

This is encouraging since Jeremiah is one of, if not, the most plugged-in analysts with NFL teams. Jeremiah doesn't think Brown (5'10/168) has any shot at a top-10 selection--most don't-- but NFL teams appear to be okay with Brown's lisfranc injury if they're willing to risk a first-rounder on the speedster. Nobody questions Brown's tape or speed, but the injury risk and his petite stature will certainly scare some teams away. Brown has been compared to T.Y. Hilton this #DraftSZN.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 17, 2019, 2:15 PM

if tyreek is done... kc?

would he contend for 1.1 if that happens? 
Tyreek is tiny, but still has 20lbs on Hollywood. I fear Hollywood is the next John Ross/Tavon Austin, meaning he’s too shrimpy and/or you must manufacture touches. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyreek is tiny, but still has 20lbs on Hollywood. I fear Hollywood is the next John Ross/Tavon Austin, meaning he’s too shrimpy and/or you must manufacture touches. 
I worry about this too. I can remember the last time someone weighed 166 lbs and was a difference maker in the NFL. Probably would have to go back to the 1940s or something

It's reasonable to think he can bulk up to 180 over a couple seasons.  I'll stay with my Santana Moss comp.  Admittedly he's coming in a little smaller though, roughly 10 lbs.

The comps to Ross/Tavon vs. Tyreek/Moss is the million dollar question.  I think he's a real player, not a gadget guy like the first two.  Biggest difference is he can actually run NFL quality routes and has all the traits of a real receiver, he's just a Smurf.

Basically Ross and Tavon aren't really football players.  I think Brown is.  My biggest concern is the foot, but he's going cheap enough in rookie drafts that it's well worth the shot.

I don't see super quickness from Brown here, and if he does add weight I worry that he turns into more of a 1 trick pony.  He can run routes right now but can he hold up at 166, or can he bulk up a little and keep the suddenness he does have.  I think it's due to his weight though, not his natural ability to be quick.  

This is one of the few guys that make me wish my rookie drafts were before the NFL draft.  His prices now are subterranean and he's far and away my #1 stash candidate vs. ADP but all it takes is one draft pick and 9 minute segment splashed all over ESPN on April 26th and he could end up vying for 1.01. 

This is one of the few guys that make me wish my rookie drafts were before the NFL draft.  His prices now are subterranean and he's far and away my #1 stash candidate vs. ADP but all it takes is one draft pick and 9 minute segment splashed all over ESPN on April 26th and he could end up vying for 1.01. 
I called him a 1.01 candidate a few months back.  The injury blew that up but with a plum landing spot he could get back into the mid 1st range.  I have the 1.09-1.12 in several spots, hoping to snag him with that type of pick.

Hankmoody said:
Why? What makes you like him so much? I want to understand

I called him a 1.01 candidate a few months back.  The injury blew that up but with a plum landing spot he could get back into the mid 1st range.  I have the 1.09-1.12 in several spots, hoping to snag him with that type of pick.
If he goes to Buffalo at 9, Philly at 25, or Indy at 26 he's absolutely the 1.01.  Jacksonville at 7, Detroit at 8, GBP at 12, SFO early 2nd - all put him in the discussion.   I know people are gonna h8 on the BUF option but Allen is a slinger and they have nothing remotely challenging to Hollywood's physical talent.  I love BUF as any WR destination.

Why? What makes you like him so much? I want to understand
It's less about liking him, although I do, and more about the economics.  No one around his current ADP has near the ceiling he has, nor the likelihood to reach that.  He's got legit WR1 upside and the only reason he's not being talked about early today is the injury.  Tyreek Hill is kind of a lazy comp because of the size and AB is also due to the blood connection, but those are absolutely the blueprint for what I'm looking for - later guys with the upside to disrupt the balance of equity a draft is modeled to bring.  Hitting on Deebo Samuel or Justice Hill in the 2nd just doesn't have the disruptive potential he does.

Think of where we view DK Metcalf now - if he hadn't done any work at the combine and there were questions of a lingering injury that ended his season early he'd be a bigger version of Hollywood.  I'd have him in the same boat.  But now that he's where he is, the economics change.  His 1.01/1.02 opportunity cost is far more significant that what Hollywood's is so the ROI model is all FUBAR even if they produce the exact same.

Bucky Brooks published this article back in 2015:

Brooks: The rise of the small receiver

Where does Brown fit in the spectrum of small receivers is the question  -  does he have a ceiling similar to TY Hilton  & DeSean Jackson or will he struggle to find a a path to consistent production over multiple seasons like Tavon Austin?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown (Lisfranc) has been cleared to resume running.

Brown, who was injured in January, recently had his boot removed. Despite the injury, Brown is expected to come off the board on Day 1.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 28, 2019, 12:23 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown to DeSean Jackson in his analysis of the draft prospect.

This isn't the first time that Brown has been compared to Jackson, and it certainly won't be the last either. Among his strengths in the eyes of Miller is the fact that he's a "legit deep threat with the home run speed to keep the attention of two defenders; will be an immediate weapon in a deep passing game." If there's are concerns for Brown right now it's his health, as a lisfranc injury suffered late in Oklahoma's season limited his availability for pre-draft workouts, and his size. Brown, who was cleared to run in late March, is projected to be selected in the first round.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 3, 2019, 7:09 PM

I have one of these drafts coming soon and pick 4/5 in each of the first 4 rds. Probably won’t pull the trigger in rd 2 but I’d take a chance in rd 3.

I have one of these drafts coming soon and pick 4/5 in each of the first 4 rds. Probably won’t pull the trigger in rd 2 but I’d take a chance in rd 3.
Brown won't be available in round 3 of any dynasty draft.  I can see him going anywhere from the end of the first round to the middle of the second.

menobrown said:
Exactly. I'm not even sure if Baltimore took him he'd make it to round 3.
I am down on Brown compared to the consensus but no way he gets to round 3. He has too much upside.

Exactly. I'm not even sure if Baltimore took him he'd make it to round 3.
To reiterate, I have a draft starting this week. I doubt he makes it to 3 but late 2nd right now might be where he goes unless someone is real high on him. I balk at the weight but he checks a lot of boxes. 

To reiterate, I have a draft starting this week. I doubt he makes it to 3 but late 2nd right now might be where he goes unless someone is real high on him. I balk at the weight but he checks a lot of boxes. 
Wow. I'd be interested to hear where he goes. Some people are saying wr2 or 3, selected top 5... some seem to put him mid to low 1st. First I've seen him not in the top 14 or so picks with this projection. 

I don’t see any way he makes it to late 2nd right now, and don’t think someone needs to be real high on him to take him anywhere from 1.06 into the early 2nd.  Despite the size limitations, he’s likely to be a top 50 pick in the NFL draft.

I don’t see any way he makes it to late 2nd right now, and don’t think someone needs to be real high on him to take him anywhere from 1.06 into the early 2nd.  Despite the size limitations, he’s likely to be a top 50 pick in the NFL draft.
Looks like he’s going to go 2.02 in bia’s poll, so late 1st early 2nd is probably more likely. 

ESPN's Todd McShay lists Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown first on his "all-satellite" team of playmakers.

"...Brown is an all-timer on the satellite list," writes McShay. "I can't think of a single player who I've evaluated with a better combination of speed and quickness." As he notes, Brown ranked first among all wideouts who caught 70 passes last year with a 17.6 yard-per-catch average, and his 8.65 yards after the catch ranked 14th. Simply put, despite the lack of ideal size (5'10/168), there's an awful lot to like about "Hollywood" Brown.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 9, 2019, 3:28 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown received "a very positive review" on his foot injury at medical re-checks.

Brown (5'10/168) and other injured prospects are back in Indy for medical re-checks, and it appears that it's time to be less pessimistic about Brown's Lisfranc injury. In fact, NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah went as far as saying he "feels good" about projecting Hollywood Brown as a 1st Round selection. Armed with high-end speed, Brown has drawn comparisons to DeSean Jackson, and he should hear his name called somewhere near the Round 1/2 turn.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 10, 2019, 10:33 AM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah "feels good" about Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown going in the 1st Round.

Brown (5'10/168) has to overcome size and a Lisfranc injury to get there, but his on-field talent makes him worthy of Round 1 consideration. Brown has been compared to DeSean Jackson for their speed and play-making skills, as highlighted by his back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons as a sophomore and junior. In regards to his foot injury, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported two weeks ago that Brown is out of his walking boot and has begun running, giving him a good chance to participate in the post-draft camp. Expect Brown to draw interest between picks No. 15 and 45 as a receiver teetering on the Round 1/2 borderline.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Apr 10, 2019, 9:30 AM

Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown is visiting the Ravens on Monday, according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

Brown (5'10/168) is projected to be a late-first/early-second round draft pick, and the Ravens are in need of playmakers on the outside to help second-year QB Lamar Jackson. The former Oklahoma standout has received positive reports on the foot injury that limited him at the end of the 2018 season, and as a result his draft stock has improved.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Apr 15, 2019, 11:47 AM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport says teams believe Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown's foot is "no issue."

Brown (5'10/168) is now in the mix as a first-rounder because all indications surrounding his Lisfranc injury are positive. In fact, Brown posted a workout video on social media to show his progress, and NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah has publically said that he feels comfortable projecting Brown as a first-round pick. One potential landing spot is with the Baltimore Ravens who brought in the speedy receiver for a visit today.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 15, 2019, 5:24 PM

Users who are viewing this thread