What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquise Brown, KC (1 Viewer)

You think so? I know he's projected to be better than John Brown, but they are a similar archetype. John Brown's production went down the drain with Jackson.
Good point. I just figure Jackson might be better with a speedster like Brown since Brown just needs space. Jacksons rushing ability can help get Brown open in those intermediate routes. Brown might be one of the better WRs to fit in Baltimore rather than a guy like Butler. And considering the GM said they way "big tough WRs" makes me think they're definitely eyeing up the opposite of that. 

Ah yeah, from real football standpoint it is a good fit. 
from a fantasy perspective I think it would drop Brown into round 2, and rightfully so. 

If he lands in GB he could jump up to 1.1... However wherever the other Brown lands (minus Baltimore), I have him at the top

I am hoping he ends up somewhere that isn't amazing, but isn't BAL. Mainly because I have several late 1sts and I'd rather take Brown there than Murray or Anderson (as long as he's not in Baltimore). 

Brown to BAL doesn't make a ton of sense to me if BAL is realistic about what they have at QB....in todays NFL at some point you HAVE to throw the ball...(see end of LAC at BAL in playoffs)....and with Jackson you need receivers who can go get you the 50/50 balls because that is pretty much what every pass Jackson throws is.....hell they might need to be able to get the 30/70 balls.....Brown doesn't seem like that big body WR that can box out and reel in passes with a huge catch radius, etc......sure he might be a nice gadget to the running game and tricky stuff or whatever but if his primary thing is playing WR and catching really bad passes, he may not be your guy.....Jackson is beyond awful...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown is visiting the Tennessee Titans.

Now that Brown's (5'10/168) foot injury is "no issue," it's time to take Brown seriously as a Round 1 selection. The Titans should upgrade their pass catchers early in the draft, and perhaps Brown is a fit for the Titans' 19th overall pick. While that may prove to be too high, it's within his perceived draft range. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah recently said that he was confident in projecting Brown as a Day 1 selection, so expect to hear his name called in the second half of Round 1. The Titans also have Clemson EDGE Clelin Ferrell in for a pre-draft visit.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 17, 2019, 10:26 AM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller passes along that after speaking with "multiple scouts and executives," Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown is close to a lock to be drafted on Day 1.

Miller additionally writes that D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown are two other possibilities. The Metcalf part of this equation is particularly interesting, as he seemed on his way into the top-15 after his explosive combine performance. A notable injury history as well as cringe-inducingly bad agility drills could be factors here. The second round, as Miller notes, could see a bevy of wideouts off the board. Either or both of Metcalf/Brown depending on the way the first round winds, plus Deebo Samuel, N'Keal Harry, Parris Campbell and Hakeem Butler.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 19, 2019, 12:55 PM

An NFL GM told NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah that his team was "100% confident" that Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown (foot) will return to his pre-injury form.

Jeremiah elaborates that this team's medical staff has fully signed off on Brown (5'10/168), so the Round 1 buzz looks to be quite real. Perhaps even more of a concern than his Lisfranc injury is Brown's size. Most player comparables for receivers at that size have been busts, but Brown's movements and ball skills are closer to DeSean Jackson than some of the busts. With more confidence coming in every day, Brown can be projected as a mid-to-late first or early second-rounder.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 2:49 PM

According to Fox Sports' Peter Schrager, Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown is the only wide receiver he's hearing receive first round "lock" buzz on a consistent basis.

It was reported earlier Wednesday that D.K. Metcalf has been slipping down draft boards, with some labeling the Ole Miss wideout a "media creation." That hasn't been the case for Brown (5'10/168), who's remained a first-round pick in the eyes of many scouts and analysts. "Hollywood" doesn't have any medical concerns to deal with after he was given a clean bill of health earlier this month, with the foot injury he suffered late last season being a "non issue" for many teams. And there aren't any issues with the production either, as Brown was a consistent performer during his time at Oklahoma. His stock appears to be solid at this point, while Metcalf's is a bit more volatile if the recent reports are accurate.

SOURCE: Peter Schrager on Twitter

Apr 24, 2019, 8:16 PM

I think he’s the first WR to go, just think the info in the wind seems to suggest that and the NFLs increased usage of smaller quicker guys in recent years. Metcalf opinion seems to have waned a little. 

I think he’s the first WR to go, just think the info in the wind seems to suggest that and the NFLs increased usage of smaller quicker guys in recent years. Metcalf opinion seems to have waned a little. 
Yep, I think the NFL has learned it's the lesson that the potential of being big and fast in a straight line rarely pans out to what we imagine it could. 

I'm warming up to him, but I'm in a position where it wont hurt as bad if I draft him and he flops

Without knowing exactly what goes into a "breakout season," anyone know if his freshman JUCO stats would be considered a breakout of he were at OU?

I have to assume it would have been. He had 30% of the reception yards, 27% of the receptions, and 50% of the receiving TDs. Granted, its JUCO, just trying to look at it hypothetically to justify his late breakout age

by the way, :lol: at 5'11 170 pounds

Without knowing exactly what goes into a "breakout season," anyone know if his freshman JUCO stats would be considered a breakout of he were at OU?

I have to assume it would have been. He had 30% of the reception yards, 27% of the receptions, and 50% of the receiving TDs. Granted, its JUCO, just trying to look at it hypothetically to justify his late breakout age 
Yes, that is way above their threshold for a "breakout" (which is 20% on average of rec yards & rec TDs) - it's double the production that he'd need to qualify.

His 2017 season at Oklahoma was also better than a lot of seasons which Player Profiler counts as a breakout, but they don't count it because they focus exclusively on market share and it didn't quite reach their cutoff. But there's no particular reason why caring about the age when a receiver starts producing requires treating market share as the preeminent production stat, it just happens to be the case that the people who came up with the "breakout age" stat were people whose favorite production stat was market share. But if you (for example) look at yards per team attempt instead of market share of receiving yards, then his 2017 looks a lot better.

I've  viewed him as a Top 10 pick in the draft. He's not a pure straight line speedster like John Ross (who went top 10 purely off a fast 40). Desean or a less refined Brandin Cooks are good comps IMO.

For me, he's clear WR1 in this class.  JMO There's a few Michael Floyd/Treadwell types in this draft that I'd steer well clear of early

I've  viewed him as a Top 10 pick in the draft. He's not a pure straight line speedster like John Ross (who went top 10 purely off a fast 40). Desean or a less refined Brandin Cooks are good comps IMO.

For me, he's clear WR1 in this class.  JMO There's a few Michael Floyd/Treadwell types in this draft that I'd steer well clear of early
Who are the Michael Floyd and Treadwells in this draft? Also what do those guys really even have in common besides they busted?

Probably the best wr of this class for Baltimore and fantasy. Hes not a high 1st in rookie drafts but he os a good bargain at the bottom of round 1. hes going to get a lot of targets

I'm warming up to him, but I'm in a position where it wont hurt as bad if I draft him and he flops

by the way, :lol: at 5'11 170 pounds
I was warming up to him too. Not sure I want to hold him for 5 years though.

I was warming up to him too. Not sure I want to hold him for 5 years though.
I'm still okay with him. I think his strengths play to Jacksons strengths in the passing game. The issue is the amount of attempts from.jackson... which if they arent higher than 2018 then Browns fantasy outlook is not good. IMO Jackson wasnt ready last year and I'd expect a jump from year 1 to 2. if he cant make that jump then Brown is sunk

Risky for sure, but the upside is tremendous. 

Late 1st rookie pick 9-12 I'd be excited for

I'm still okay with him. I think his strengths play to Jacksons strengths in the passing game. The issue is the amount of attempts from.jackson... which if they arent higher than 2018 then Browns fantasy outlook is not good. IMO Jackson wasnt ready last year and I'd expect a jump from year 1 to 2. if he cant make that jump then Brown is sunk

Risky for sure, but the upside is tremendous. 

Late 1st rookie pick 9-12 I'd be excited for
Doc....how convinced are you Jackson can make the jump in the passing game.....he looked brutally awful most of last year.....passes not even close....in the ground, etc.....do you think he really has the skill set to improve that much.....he did have a few nice throws in comeback mode against LAC but that seemed to be the exception not the rule....

Doc....how convinced are you Jackson can make the jump in the passing game.....he looked brutally awful most of last year.....passes not even close....in the ground, etc.....do you think he really has the skill set to improve that much.....he did have a few nice throws in comeback mode against LAC but that seemed to be the exception not the rule....
50/50

Rotoworld take:

Ravens selected Oklahoma WR Marquise "Hollywood" Brown with the No. 25 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Brown (5’9/166) spent two years with the Sooners after transferring from JUCO, amassing a career 132/2,413/17 (18.3 YPR) receiving line as Baker Mayfield, then Kyler Murray’s go-to guy. Antonio Brown’s cousin, Marquise’s game is built on speed and explosion, leading all of Division I in catches of 50-plus yards (14) over the past two seasons. In 2018, 35% of Brown’s receptions gained at least 20 yards. Ex-NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah called Brown’s tape the best in this year’s class and compared him to DeSean Jackson. Brown required Lisfranc foot surgery in February and didn’t run before the draft but is fully expected to be ready for training camp. Brown was a great real-life pick by the Ravens. It's his worst-case-scenario landing spot in fantasy football.

Apr 25, 2019, 9:08 PM

I wonder if he might get a few opportunities as trailing back in the option game. He looks the part of a 70's OU halfback.

I like the landing spot for redraft and dynasty. The over reaction to being on the Ravens should present a good value for him. Unless something crazy happens he'll be their WR 1 opening day. Can't think of any other rookie WR to be in that position year 1.  

I like the landing spot for redraft and dynasty. The over reaction to being on the Ravens should present a good value for him. Unless something crazy happens he'll be their WR 1 opening day. Can't think of any other rookie WR to be in that position year 1.  
On one hand, he was selected sooner than most ppl thought. But it was the Ravens. So...

Overall I think this helps his value. Hes at least a mid first rookie pick.

Overall I think this helps his value. Hes at least a mid first rookie pick.
Plenty of people had him as their #1 or at least in their top-4 rookie picks before the Ravens banished him to Hell.

I wouldn't pay more than a mid-1st for him today, and more likely a late-1st/early-2nd.  Which means that I won't own him.

Thank you Ravens for making me a nice little chunk of money last night, had around 150 dollars on Marquise to be first WR off the board. 

Think he could be good in this landing spot tbh, threat of the run could open up holes in the intermediary routes can see lots of screens, crossing routes for 10 yard receptions and hopefully loads of yards after the catch 

Plenty of people had him as their #1 or at least in their top-4 rookie picks before the Ravens banished him to Hell.

I wouldn't pay more than a mid-1st for him today, and more likely a late-1st/early-2nd.  Which means that I won't own him.
Is that so? I was unawares of this. He didn't have that much buzz around here that I noticed. I also didn't expect him to be the first receiver taken.

I think some of you are overthinking this.  This is a terrible landing spot.  As bad as it gets.  
Maybe.  Or maybe Jackson's ability to extend plays will play well with Brown's talent set.  Maybe Jackson's offseason work will make him a better passer than what we saw.  Maybe teams stacking 8 in the box will open up a lot of lanes for a guy with that kind of speed to take advantage of.  He has no real competition for targets so if he can pick up the offense he should get plenty of time, and plenty of looks.  On paper, I can see your point completely but I think the book is still not written on what Lamar Jackson can do in the NFL as a passer.  The Ravens seemed to feel no remorse letting Flacco walk, so they saw something that gave them the hope and belief that they had a starting caliber QB.  The Ravens have made a lot of very good decisions over the past several years, and not a ton of bad ones, so maybe some benefit of the doubt is due.  

cloppbeast said:
Is that so? I was unawares of this. He didn't have that much buzz around here that I noticed. I also didn't expect him to be the first receiver taken.
DLF forums many people had him as the 1.1 prior to the draft. That place was coo-coo for Hollywood

I dont like to pigeon hole myself with the opinions of a few out spoken posters at FBG. DLF has a lot of different opinions. For instance, they also absolutely love Sanders. 1.2 in some cases. 

Users who are viewing this thread