What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (1 Viewer)

Daniel Jones (ankle) is in a walking boot and is expected to miss Monday night's Week 14 game against the Eagles.

Advice: Eli Manning is expected to get the start, according to coach Pat Shurmur. The Giants have an extra day to get ready for Monday night, but Jones is dealing with a "mid high-ankle sprain" that is expected to cost him at least one game. Jones has mostly been a disaster since replacing Manning at quarterback, fumbling and throwing interceptions at a wild rate, so this gives him a chance to sort of reset while Manning gets his final snaps with the only team he's ever known.

More: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

I had picked him up due to his nice playoff schedule to go with Winston, but just picked up Fitzy and will probably drop Jones for depth elsewhere due to this news.
Fitzpatrick has a great schedule.

I would drop Jones if you need the space.  Even if he plays again this season, a lot of his fantasy value is generated from his legs, and a HAS really limits that.  Look at how it limited Mahomes before he hurt his knee.

If the Giants were smart, they might as well shut Jones down.  Might as well let Eli take the punishment for the ROS.  Despite all the rookie mistakes, Jones has shown some promise and the Giants should have a good idea what they have in him.  Jones likely won't be close to 100% at any point going forward.

Despite all the rookie mistakes, Jones has shown some promise and the Giants should have a good idea what they have in him.  Jones likely won't be close to 100% at any point going forward.
I was pleasantly surprised by his play and do think he has promise (although I still think he was overdrafted, but most of them are).

Daniel Jones (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 14 against the Eagles.

This was fully expected with Jones dealing with a high-ankle sprain. Jones is likely looking at a multi-week absence and should be viewed as week to week. Eli Manning will make his first start since Week 2 on Monday night in place of Jones. Even with Evan Engram and Golden Tate due back, Manning doesn't have any streamer appeal and is a downgrade to the entire offense.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Dec 7, 2019, 12:08 PM ET

Daniel Jones (ankle) is practicing Wednesday.

Jones was out of his walking boot and took reps with the twos in the portion of practice open to the media. It was Eli Manning taking the snaps from starting C Jon Halapio. It's a good sign for Jones' eventual return this season, but most beat writers are expecting Manning to get at least one more start with Jones potentially eyeing Week 16.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 11:26 AM ET

Daniel Jones (ankle) worked with the starters at Wednesday's practice.

Jones is expected to get the nod under center against the Redskins this week after missing the past two with a sprained ankle. Eli Manning won at home against the Dolphins in Week 15, giving him a perfect send-off into likely retirement. Back in Week 4, Jones completed a season-high 74.2% of his passes against the Redskins for 225 yards and a 1:2 TD:INT mark in a 21-point Giants win.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 11:21 AM ET

Daniel Jones completed 28-of-42 passes for 352 yards and five touchdowns in the Giants' Week 16 ovetime win over Washington.

It was a career day for Jones after missing the last two weeks with a high-ankle sprain. Jones had his way with an injured Redskins secondary, averaging 8.4 YPA on his 28 completions. He played most of the game with Darius Slayton on the sideline, forcing him to spread it out, with five different receivers catching at least four passes. Jones led the Giants to a win in overtime on a goal-line throw to Kaden Smith, who caught two of his five touchdowns. Jones now has an impressive 23:11 TD/INT ratio over his 11 starts. He'll close out the regular season against the Eagles in Week 17.
He was facing a godawful secondary that couldn't stop a rookie and a former AAF WR a week ago, but the fact he was able to carve them up without throwing an INT or losing a fumble  (he did have a brainfart fumble but it was recovered by his lineman) bodes well for his progression as a QB.

I started Dak over him this week, but thankfully Drake brought me home.

Jones may be my every week starter next year in dynasty.

The Frankman said:
He was facing a godawful secondary that couldn't stop a rookie and a former AAF WR a week ago, but the fact he was able to carve them up without throwing an INT or losing a fumble  (he did have a brainfart fumble but it was recovered by his lineman) bodes well for his progression as a QB.
Don't miss Landon Collins at all.

This is the one rookie I’m 100% taking an L on and doing a 180. I had already pivoted before yesterday but yesterday seals it that this guy has stud long term potential. Great arm, great athleticism, humble. Can’t help but root for him after everyone and their brother attacking him in draft season and fans boo’ing him at the Yankee game. He’s got to get those turnovers down but Giants have every right to be excited.

I don't follow the Giants much, but I wonder if dropping to the 4th pick puts a skill position player (like Jeudy) or a top OT on the board for them. If so, that would be a nice boost for Jones.

DAG said:
I don't follow the Giants much, but I wonder if dropping to the 4th pick puts a skill position player (like Jeudy) or a top OT on the board for them. If so, that would be a nice boost for Jones.
Not sure what they will do,  but man the defense needs some players.    I like Jeudy alot, but this appears to be a very deep WR class.

I also posted in another thread Daniel Jones didn’t have a single 4 or 5 star rated recruit on the roster at a skilled position. Duke typically lands 1, 2 and at best a few 3  star rated WRs and RBs. I believe that is a factor that caps his numbers when you don’t have WRs with elite speed, size, or athletic ability to throw to. His combine and senior bowl will be very interesting. I’m a believer and so is Eli Manning. 
Gonna bump myself, I have and will continue to believe in this young man. As previously said he's humble, he's tough, and he's a hard worker. As the Giants improve their line, I think he can become a top 10 QB as early as next year. I did think he would have more than 2 rushing TDs, but 23 throwing TDs isn't bad on THAT team, and in 11 games as a starter. I'd say most of us would happily take a rookie QB averaging 2 TDs a game on a bad team. Future looks bright. 

This article is an excellent take.

I just acquired him+Ertz in dynasty, (superflex) for Sutton & a couple late draft picks (58 this year, likely 46-48 next year) 

I think he’s a work in progress. While he has the leg up on other young QBs (e.g. NYG drafted him to be the heir apparent) and he’s shown some flashes, he’s still a rookie & makes rookie mistakes. 

that said, his 5 TD, 0 Int game was really impressive. I don’t care that it was the Redskins, a lot of QBs facing the Redskins didn’t do that. 

Giants need to improve the line, and Jones needs to mature. Stop staring down receivers, make more reads, develop more pocket awareness - but he’s shown enough for me to not mind investing in his future. I think he’s going to be a very good NFL QB. I was among those wondering what the hell the Giants were thinking. I still think they reached, but Jones is showing he was worthy, of not worth the pick. 

comparing him to other young QBs, I’d take him over Mayfield & Trubisky. Time will tell how far & fast he develops. This year might have just been adapting to NFL speed. A lot of players go through that. 

aren't the giants going to suck for the near future, killing his fantasy value?
It depends how you define “near future”. This season? Well, for the last game who knows.

Next season the Giants appear to have a lot of weapons in place on offense. They have an elite running back, a great TE if Evan Engram can stay on the field, and Slaton certainly seems to be the real deal at wide receiver.

They should be able to improve the OL in the draft & FA.

the defense has a lot of holes & the secondary is a hot mess, but that should be good for offensive players like Jones. 

I think NYG has a bright immediate future on offense. They’re not very far behind competing for their division. 

It depends how you define “near future”. This season? Well, for the last game who knows.

Next season the Giants appear to have a lot of weapons in place on offense. They have an elite running back, a great TE if Evan Engram can stay on the field, and Slaton certainly seems to be the real deal at wide receiver.

They should be able to improve the OL in the draft & FA.

the defense has a lot of holes & the secondary is a hot mess, but that should be good for offensive players like Jones. 

I think NYG has a bright immediate future on offense. They’re not very far behind competing for their division. 
Agreed. The future looks bright for Jones with the surrounding talent. But we also said the same thing about Mayfield at this point last year, so it’s still a wait and see thing.

Agreed. The future looks bright for Jones with the surrounding talent. But we also said the same thing about Mayfield at this point last year, so it’s still a wait and see thing.
Unless Daniel Jones spends the next off season shooting every commercial known to man, lobbying for his incompetent guy as head coach, eating everything in sight, and running his mouth, Daniel Jones will likely not regress like Baker Mayfield did.

Daniel Jones is more of a Prototypical quarterback, he has a cannon for an arm, and he seems to have a much better head on his shoulders then Mayfield does. For what it’s worth, I was not in on Mayfield at all coming into this year. I would not have invested in him and dynasty (and did not in my league’s start up draft this year) and it seems like the coaching the Giants have in place, including Peyton Manning mentoring Daniel Jones (I don’t know if that still a thing, but it was) it seems far more likely that he will have success in his sophomore year compared to Baker Mayfield.

every young player is a “wait and see“ but I’m willing to bet on Daniel Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Jones is more of a Prototypical quarterback, he has a cannon for an arm, and he seems to have a much better head on his shoulders then Mayfield does. For what it’s worth, I was not in on Mayfield at all coming into this year. I would not have invested in him and dynasty (and did not in my league’s start up draft this year) and it seems like the coaching the Giants have in place, including Peyton Manning mentoring Daniel Jones (I don’t know if that still a thing, but it was) it seems far more likely that he will have success in his sophomore year compared to Baker Mayfield.

The Giants coaching staff (and Eli) will surely be gone after this season.

Yeah, but I’d read Peyton was working with DJones personally. 

the incoming coaching staff will be a factor though, I agree. 
I believe both Manning brothers did during the predraft process, as they had  a connection with the Duke Coach and had offseason workouts down there.

I believe both Manning brothers did during the predraft process, as they had  a connection with the Duke Coach and had offseason workouts down there.
Yep both worked with Jones every year he was at Duke (as both Mannings go to Duke to train each off season) and both were very high on Daniel, which is why I was high on him coming in (plus I'm a Duke fan) :)

I really think this is the biggest issue re: regression.  As noted, Jones has more arm talent (is it a canon though? thought he could make all the throws, but not necessarily a canon ala Allen in Buffalo), but he really seems to have his #### together. Professional that knows he has a lot to learn, never hear any noise, has taken those cues from Eli - even when they were out celebrating playing flip cup in a bar in Hoboken last week.

Unless Daniel Jones spends the next off season shooting every commercial known to man, lobbying for his incompetent guy as head coach, eating everything in sight, and running his mouth, Daniel Jones will likely not regress like Baker Mayfield did.
I'd still rather have Baker Mayfield than Daniel Jones as my team's QB, and I don't think its really close. Sophomore slumps happen. Mayfield looked like a star as a rookie, Jones has had some moments sure, but he wasn't on that level at all. 

travdogg said:
I'd still rather have Baker Mayfield than Daniel Jones as my team's QB, and I don't think its really close. Sophomore slumps happen. Mayfield looked like a star as a rookie, Jones has had some moments sure, but he wasn't on that level at all. 
yikes! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but this seems insane to me.  Mayfield is not a good qb.  He looks functionally terrible out there....

Jones still has some hope

yikes! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but this seems insane to me.  Mayfield is not a good qb.  He looks functionally terrible out there....

Jones still has some hope
Young QB's are often a little volatile year to year. Not everybody can be Mahomes/Watson. Mayfield very much looked like he was in the same league as them as a rookie. To throw in the towel after 1 season is what seems insane to me.

Mayfield is far from the problem in Cleveland. I'd argue he's been solid this year considering the circumstances, just disappointing because of how great 2018 went. If I ranked QB's fom A-F, I'd call Mayfield a B-, for reference I'd call Jones a D, though obviously the book is far from written on either of them.

Welp, another game where Daniel Jones takes a step back. I just don't see how everyone keeps saying he's can't miss or a stud. He can't feel pressure, which goes hand in hand with ball security. He's staring guys down way too much and he went right back to trying to make heroball throws. He's not going to be playing horrible secondaries with little pass rush every week, and I hope he can work  on some of these issues in training camp. I don't exactly feel a high level of confidence about him, and he hasn't shown much to change the label I gave him after the draft. Maybe it's play-calling, maybe it's coaching; I dunno.

That one fumble was not his fault, snap was way low. he will get better, he's a student of the game and a hard worker. And he'll work with Cutcliff Peyton and Eli Manning this offseason like he has the last few years. They can teach him a ton, and he's going to have better weapons next year. If I were a Giants fan I'd be very happy with him.  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread