What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (1 Viewer)

Daniel Jones completed 21-of-28 passes for 244 yards and rushed for 62 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 10 win over the Eagles.

This was Jones' second career win against a non-Washington opponent, and it was one of Jones better games of the season. He didn't turn over the ball and broke off a few big runs, including a 34-yard touchdown on a keeper up the middle. Jones' athleticism keeps him alive in fantasy when the Giants are facing below-average teams, but the New York offense remains a total rollercoaster with more busts than booms. Consider Jones a low-end QB2 play against the Bengals in Week 12 after the upcoming bye.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Jones was forced from the Giants' Week 12 game against the Bengals with a right hamstring injury. 

Jones pulled up lame at the end of a third quarter run. He missed a few plays before briefly attempting to return. He attempted one pass and was already grabbing at his hammy before it reached its destination. Not good. Jones was having a decent day before going down, completing 16-of-27 passes for 213 scoreless yards. He was really working his connection with Evan Engram, despite some mistakes from the seam stretcher. Jones, who entered today as the G-Men's leading rusher, had six carries for 19 yards before going down. Jones should probably be considered on the wrong side of questionable for next week's dream matchup with the Seahawks. Even if Jones can go, his mobility will almost certainly be limited, a dangerous thing for a player whose legs are his most consistent weapon. Colt McCoy is the backup.

- Rotoworld
This had the look of a 6-8 week injury.

Daniel Jones will have an MRI on his hamstring Monday and the Giants are expecting him to miss game action. 

Jones was forced out of Sunday's game against the Bengals with a hamstring pull that left him immobilized. He tried to play through the injury but gimped to the sideline and didn't return. Colt McCoy, in relief of Jones, completed six of his ten throws for 31 yards and had five rushing attempts for seven yards. McCoy would be a downgrade for the New York pass catchers this week against the Seahawks, though Wayne Gallman should retain his fantasy usefulness as the team's lead back if Devonta Freeman (ankle, IR) remains sidelined. McCoy should be a priority add in all superflex formats. 

RELATED: 

Colt McCoy

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 8:14 AM ET

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports Daniel Jones (hamstring) is expected to miss "some time."

There are conflicting reports on the exact amount of time (if any) Jones will miss following his hamstring strain from Sunday, but all tea leaves seemingly point to him sitting out Week 13 against the Seahawks and eyeing a realistic return for the beginning of back-to-back home games the following week. How quickly he can heal (and rehab on the field) will ultimately determine how many games he'll miss. Wednesday's practice report and updates will be telling.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 2:51 PM ET

Tough injury - kid was finally stringing together some quality games. Hasn’t had a turnover in 4 games now (including yesterday’s partial), was making good reads, running more & throwing the ball away under pressure.

I was looking forward to seeing him down the stretch. I know there’s a lot of haterade in here,  but it’s hard to watch his last 3.5 games and not come away impressed.  He *should* have had a loooong TD on a perfect deep ball to Slayton that hit him on the hands yesterday before the injury.

Personally, the timing could have been better since I have Mahomes on the BYE in superflex. Thankfully I’m in 1st place, but still....

Daniel Jones (hamstring) was listed as doubtful to play Week 13 against Seattle. 

Giants head coach Joe Judge can finally stop pretending Jones might play in Week 13. Jones' best case scenario, per Giants beat writers, is a Week 14 return after tweaking his hamstring in Week 12 against the Bengals. The resurgent Seattle defense becomes a top option against a Colt McCoy-led Giants offense. Evan Engram and the rest of New York's pass catchers should be downgraded with Jones sidelined. 

RELATED: 

Colt McCoy

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 4, 2020, 1:45 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Giants QB Daniel Jones (hamstring) is not expected to be active for Week 13 against the Seahawks and Colt McCoy will start for the Giants.

Jones was never likely to play this week as most Giants beat writers have Week 14 pegged as an early return date for Jones. McCoy has less than 100 pass attempts dating back to 2015 and wasn't impressive while filling in for Jones last week. He managed just 31 scoreless yards on 10 pass attempts. The Seattle defense is a great streaming option while McCoy is nothing more than a desperation play in 2QB and Superflex leagues only. All of New York's pass catchers should be downgraded with McCoy under center. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 6, 2020, 8:54 AM ET

Giants head coach Joe Judge said Daniel Jones (hamstring) will have "every opportunity" to play in Week 14 against the Cardinals. 

Judge spent the entire week headed into Sunday's game against Seattle pretending Jones had a shot to suit up. Excuse us if we're skeptical Jones will return in Week 14. Colt McCoy was functional against the Seahawks, completing 13-of-22 passes for 105 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. Jones would of course be a major boost for the team's pass catchers if he's able to return against Arizona. 

RELATED: 

Colt McCoy

Dec 7, 2020, 11:45 AM ET

Daniel Jones (hamstring) was limited during Thursday's practice. 

Jones was limited on Wednesday too. Friday will prove crucial for Jones' chance of playing in Week 14 against the Cardinals. A full practice would make him a near lock to suit up while another limited practice would likely make him questionable. Jones would be a decent QB2 option against Arizona, and Giants pass catchers would get a marked bump. 

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 3:30 PM ET

Tough injury - kid was finally stringing together some quality games. Hasn’t had a turnover in 4 games now (including yesterday’s partial), was making good reads, running more & throwing the ball away under pressure.

I was looking forward to seeing him down the stretch. I know there’s a lot of haterade in here,  but it’s hard to watch his last 3.5 games and not come away impressed.  He *should* have had a loooong TD on a perfect deep ball to Slayton that hit him on the hands yesterday before the injury.

Personally, the timing could have been better since I have Mahomes on the BYE in superflex. Thankfully I’m in 1st place, but still....
He didnt have any turnovers that weren't recovered by his team you mean, in the past three games he played.  And the last four games he played were against cin, phi, wash, and Tb.  So one good defense he had two ints, 61 comp percentage, and 58 qbr.

But he's not as bad as that Denver practice squad wr, I can give him that.

He didnt have any turnovers that weren't recovered by his team you mean, in the past three games he played. 
no, I meant what I said. It’s right there - no need to paraphrase it. 

And the last four games he played were against cin, phi, wash, and Tb.  So one good defense he had two ints, 61 comp percentage, and 58 qbr.
who cares. I was talking specifically about the improvement he’d shown over the last 3 games, where he had 3 excellent games, avoided sacks, and wasn’t turning the ball over. 

I guess you’re just too busy drinking haterade to have a mature discussion about the progress he’s shown. 

But he's not as bad as that Denver practice squad wr, I can give him that.
Again, completely irrelevant and needlessly insulting. 

Maybe come back and try discussing this payer when your obvious bias isn’t clouding your posts to this degree. It’s a really bad look. 

I'm harder on Daniel Jones that any other Giants fan ( @wgoldsph included), but to tell you where some of us where at with him... put it this way.

The fact that for 2-3 games he seemed to react to pressure around him and not stare blankly as the ball was knocked out of his hands/didn't panic and throw a soul-killing "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT????" ball that usually would be an INT actually has us Giants fans excited.

Why do I say that? Because for the first time all year, we as fans can start to properly evaluate who Jones is as a QB. I don't care what people say; you can't start to evaluate how a QB does under pressure when he can't feel it in the first place. No NFL QB can succeed long-term like that unless they have a god-tier offensive line. For example, Jared Goff can at least feel pressure; he just has a had time reading defenses and wilts like a scared little girl under said pressure. After the TB game, at the very least Giants fans have seen a bit of a stretch where Jones eventually reacts to the pressure in his area and doesn't turn the ball over... which is good. It has to be said that the biggest deterrent to the Giants O early in the year outside of the Giants O-Line/Engram misplays was Daniel Jones himself. When Jones can limit mistakes and hit the open man short, the Giants other pieces have shown that they can win the game.

no, I meant what I said. It’s right there - no need to paraphrase it. 

who cares. I was talking specifically about the improvement he’d shown over the last 3 games, where he had 3 excellent games, avoided sacks, and wasn’t turning the ball over. 

I guess you’re just too busy drinking haterade to have a mature discussion about the progress he’s shown. 

Again, completely irrelevant and needlessly insulting. 

Maybe come back and try discussing this payer when your obvious bias isn’t clouding your posts to this degree. It’s a really bad look. 
Jones has always played really well against poor competition.  He did last year as well.  It's what believers clung to at the end of the season, taking his demolishing of wash, jets, and det as signs for the future.  This year he hasn't even taken bad teams to the woodshed.

Jones has always played really well against poor competition.  He did last year as well.  It's what believers clung to at the end of the season, taking his demolishing of wash, jets, and det as signs for the future.  This year he hasn't even taken bad teams to the woodshed.
His last 3 were against CIN, PHI & WAS

Of the 3, the Eagles pass rush had been respectable to that point & WAS looks like a legitimate team with that win against the previously undefeated Steelers. 

But please do carry on with your sweeping generalizations and back-handed insults (alleging “believers” “clinging to” things seems very ad hominem)

I’ll stick to evaluating what I’ve seen of Jones recent 3-game stretch of impressive play on the field. 

he’s a good buy-low in dynasty for superflex leagues if his owners are as myopic as you in their evaluation.

Have a nice day. 

I'm harder on Daniel Jones that any other Giants fan ( @wgoldsph included), but to tell you where some of us where at with him... put it this way.

The fact that for 2-3 games he seemed to react to pressure around him and not stare blankly as the ball was knocked out of his hands/didn't panic and throw a soul-killing "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT????" ball that usually would be an INT actually has us Giants fans excited.

Why do I say that? Because for the first time all year, we as fans can start to properly evaluate who Jones is as a QB. I don't care what people say; you can't start to evaluate how a QB does under pressure when he can't feel it in the first place. No NFL QB can succeed long-term like that unless they have a god-tier offensive line. For example, Jared Goff can at least feel pressure; he just has a had time reading defenses and wilts like a scared little girl under said pressure. After the TB game, at the very least Giants fans have seen a bit of a stretch where Jones eventually reacts to the pressure in his area and doesn't turn the ball over... which is good. It has to be said that the biggest deterrent to the Giants O early in the year outside of the Giants O-Line/Engram misplays was Daniel Jones himself. When Jones can limit mistakes and hit the open man short, the Giants other pieces have shown that they can win the game.
I don’t disagree - but he’s shown improvement the last few games in that area specifically. He doesn’t have that “Tom Brady at his peak 6th sense” to shift in the pocket, but he sure was excelling when he tucked and ran, and a few times even sensed and evaded pressure to do so. 

I’m all for being critical of a player when they play badly - I’ve been critical of DJones on plenty of occasions, notably in the in-game topics.

But I also try to be fair and give credit where due. In the last few games he was running the ball like crazy, and it was effective. Same crappy like, same pressure. Good reaction to it instead of bad. He threw the ball away a number of times under pressure too. He looked like a guy who was starting to get out of his own way a little. Making better decisions & letting the game come to him.

and mot for nothing, there were some deep passes to Shepherd & especially Slayton where the receiver slowed up on the ball, or where it hit them on the hands. Several of those were sure fire deep TDs, and through no fault of DJ’s they turned into incomplete passes.

I get why Giants fans are sick of Jones and I understand the bitterness & resentment that breeds. But I’ve seen enough this year that I am a little bit excited to see what Jones can do next year. I recall that with Barkley, Jones leaned on the short passing game to great effect. This year Jones has had to learn to play without that. That experience from this year should translate to growth next year.

And hey; if he comes out next year looking terrible & regresses I’ll be the 1st to point it out. I see more reason for optimism. Maybe even breakout potential. Hey, someone has to have that take - might as well be me. ;)  

Daniel Jones (hamstring) is considered "questionable" for Week 14 against the Cardinals. 

Jones was limited this week in practice after missing last week with the hamstring tweak. He's looking like a game-day call for the Giants. Colt McCoy starting again for New York would lower the floors and ceilings of every Giants pass catcher. Assuming Jones is back to full health -- or something close -- he should be a mid-range QB2 against Arizona. 

RELATED: 

Colt McCoy

Dec 11, 2020, 1:58 PM ET

Daniel Jones completed 11-of-21 passes for 127 yards before being benched in the Giants' Week 14 loss to the Cardinals.

The Cardinals teed off on Jones for the better part of four quarters, sacking the second-year passer six times. Jones didn't do a great job of recognizing the pressure Arizona brought but his offensive line did him no favors either. The opening sack and fumble of Jones' day came on a missed assignment that let a rusher get to him unabated. On the rare occasions that Jones got the chance to throw from a clean pocket, he was his usual, erratic self. He was pulled a few minutes before the final whistle and had a notable limp. Jones will likely start for the Giants next week but is firmly off the fantasy radar in single-QB leagues.

- Rotoworld

He didn't look ready at all, whether injury or what...and by what...was there a gameplan from Garrett?   not evident at this point.

Wouldnt' be surprised if McCoy starts next week.  Jones was limping at the end of the game.

edit: I'm sure Garrett had a plan, but it didn't work this time.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Daniel Jones (hamstring, ankle) is in doubt for Week 15 against the Browns.

Jones is dealing with a sprained ankle in addition to his hamstring injury. Clearly limited before getting pulled in the fourth quarter, Jones seems destined to miss his second game in the last three weeks. It's a tough blow for the Giants as they look to gain ground on Washington in the NFC East. Colt McCoy will make another start if Jones sits.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Dec 16, 2020, 1:11 PM ET

Daniel Jones (hamstring, ankle) was limited during Wednesday's practice.

Ian Rapoport mentioned earlier Wednesday that Jones' availability is "in doubt" for Week 15's game against the Browns after being pulled in the final minutes against the Cardinals. Coach Joe Judge said he is not afraid to start Colt McCoy as the Giants fight to win the NFC East.

Dec 16, 2020, 7:00 PM ET

Daniel Jones (hamstring, ankle) was estimated as "limited" for Thursday's practice. 

The Giants did not actually suit up ahead of Sunday night's game against the Browns. Media reports have pegged Jones as unlikely to play, though back-to-back "limited" sessions certainly keep him in the mix. If Jones does go, he will be a bottom-basement with his nonexistent mobility as he guts through two different ailments. We would expect to see Colt McCoy out there, but the G-Men could force the issue with their playoff lives on the line. 

Dec 17, 2020, 1:43 PM ET

Sit him Giants. He can't run so now he can't avoid the pressure he may not even feel coming... and Myles Garrett is waiting to tee off on him. We saw Jones return to his norm last week with the fumbles, gotta give it to Colt and hope the D holds up.

Daniel Jones (hamstring, ankle) is questionable for Week 15 against the Browns.

For what it's worth, Jones practiced in full before being thrown to the wolves in last week's loss but was only able to get in a limited session this time around. Fantasy players should expect Colt McCoy to get the start under center, though there is some uncertainty surrounding that decision. All, Sterling Shepard included, would obviously need to be downgraded across the board if McCoy does in fact get the nod.

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter

Dec 18, 2020, 2:39 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Giants are "trending toward" holding out Daniel Jones (questionable, hamstring/ankle) in Week 15 against the Browns.

The Giants want to see how Jones looks at Saturday's walkthrough but the expectation is he won't play. That leaves Colt McCoy to make another start in a must-win game for the Giants. McCoy completed 59% of his passes while averaging just 4.7 YPA in a Week 13 spot start.  Darius Slayton, Sterling Shepard, and Evan Engram will all have lower floors if Jones is held out. 

RELATED: 

Colt McCoy

SOURCE: ESPN

Dec 19, 2020, 9:34 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Giants QB Daniel Jones (hamstring, questionable) is expected to miss Week 15 against the Browns.

Jones logged limited practices throughout the week but was trending toward not playing by Saturday. Because of how soft the NFC East is, the Giants are looking at a potential playoff run so this may be a move to preserve their starter for the post-season. Colt McCoy will step in for Jones in Week 15. McCoy is averaging 4.4 yards per attempt and completing 60 percent of his passes this year. All of the Giants' pass-catching options get downgraded from a fantasy perspective because of this move. 

Dec 20, 2020, 8:11 AM ET

Daniel Jones (hamstring) practiced Wednesday. 

After missing Week 15 against the Browns, Jones was first up in quarterback drills at Wednesday's practice. The Athletic's Dan Duggan said Jones was "moving better than last week" but "still a slight hitch in his gait after he throws." A banged-up Jones starting for New York is no good for Giants pass catchers, as we saw in Week 14 against Arizona. Colt McCoy would get another start if Jones is held out in Week 16 against the Ravens. 

RELATED: 

Colt McCoy

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter 

Dec 23, 2020, 1:15 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "it's pointing in the direction" of Daniel Jones (hamstring, ankle) returning in Week 16 against the Ravens.

This comes after coach Joe Judge said Jones is on the "right track." Jones was moving around better than he did in practice last week and has avoided setbacks, putting him in line to start. Returning against the Ravens is a shy away matchup for Jones, but even at less than 100 percent, Jones gives the Giants their best chance to win.

Dec 25, 2020, 9:13 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Daniel Jones (questionable, hamstring/ankle) will start Week 16 against the Ravens.

This was expected for Jones after sitting out last week. Jones practiced on a limited basis and isn't close to 100 percent, but getting him back is an upgrade for the Giants' offense. The Giants need a win and Washington to lose out to clinch the NFC East.

Dec 26, 2020, 10:47 AM ET

Daniel Jones completed 17-of-25 passes for 229 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception while rushing for 17 yards on nine attempts in the Giants' 23-19, Week 17 win over the Cowboys.

The Giants now await the result of the Washington game Sunday night to see if they advance to the postseason. Jones' second-quarter 10-yard touchdown throw to Sterling Shepard was just his 10th of the season despite this being the sophomore's 14th appearance. He finishes the regular season with 11 scores and 10 picks to go with six lost fumbles, which included one Sunday. Jones very clearly isn't the long-term answer for the G-Men, even if they back into a division title.

- Rotoworld
I'd say that's debatable? ... I'd need to see him get a full camp.

with better protection and all his weapons back, I actually agree with Kiper.  :scared:
Same. I want to see Joe a with Saquan and a rebuilt (competent) OL. 

it was a hard year for him, but he showed some improvement. given the context of that offense, that incremental improvement could pay dividends for 2021. 

And it’s not like the division is a powerhouse, even assuming DAL gets back to form. :shrug:  

Same. I want to see Joe a with Saquan and a rebuilt (competent) OL. 

it was a hard year for him, but he showed some improvement. given the context of that offense, that incremental improvement could pay dividends for 2021. 

And it’s not like the division is a powerhouse, even assuming DAL gets back to form. :shrug:  
in addition to Barkley and the line,  he really needs a WR1, whether it's FA or the #11 pick.    Sheppard, Slayton, Tate - can't go into this year with that trio again.   I'd be hard pressed to find a worse WR corps in the league.   I think Tate gets cut.    

in addition to Barkley and the line,  he really needs a WR1, whether it's FA or the #11 pick.    Sheppard, Slayton, Tate - can't go into this year with that trio again.   I'd be hard pressed to find a worse WR corps in the league.   I think Tate gets cut.    
Agree. Tate’s a gonner. See my recap of a game above in this topic for an example of what should have easily been a 3 TD day if his wide open receivers didn’t quit on, or knew how to run routes with perfectly placed balls. 

Jones gets a lot of hate, much of it well-deserved, but he also had a lot of help from his receiving corps in his struggles. 

while not a #1, I could see someone like Juju being an effective addition. Sure-handed, makes tough catches in traffic. Godwin comes to mind as a potential add with legitimate #1 WR potential as well. 

one thing’s sure - 2021 is probably a make or break for Jones, regardless of the votes of confidence. 

while not a #1, I could see someone like Juju being an effective addition. Sure-handed, makes tough catches in traffic. Godwin comes to mind as a potential add with legitimate #1 WR potential as well. 
These players are better but this would be repeating the same mistake they made when they threw money at Shepard and Tate. That mistake is signing a bunch of WR's who are all better out of the slot.

.   I'd be hard pressed to find a worse WR corps in the league.    
Off top of my head I think I could come up with about 10 teams as bad or comparably as bad, especially if we are just looking at players under contract in 2021. They do need a #1 but it's not totally barren plus Barkley and maybe Engram if he can get back on track offer options/mismatches in the passing game.

These players are better but this would be repeating the same mistake they made when they threw money at Shepard and Tate. That mistake is signing a bunch of WR's who are all better out of the slot.

Off top of my head I think I could come up with about 10 teams as bad or comparably as bad, especially if we are just looking at players under contract in 2021. They do need a #1 but it's not totally barren plus Barkley and maybe Engram if he can get back on track offer options/mismatches in the passing game.
Can I see your ten teams?  Not being antagonistic.

edit: and I agree - would prefer a WR via draft rather than overpaying another slot receiver.

Hakeem Nicks is only 32 years old, what a shame he didn't have a full career.

Can I see your ten teams?  Not being antagonistic.

Sure but tricky right now because I'm not sure how you are looking at it with respect to players not under contract. Like should I count Will Fuller as a Texan? For now I'll just assume Godwin, Golladay and Robinson get tagged. JuJu, Fuller and rest of FA class are no longer part of their teams. I also assume Tate is gone as well as likely to be cut players from other teams, like Alshon for example.

Reasonable minds can disagree but here are my opinions.And really I'm just talking about Shepard and Slayton on the Giants, nothing else matters and for this not factoring in Barkley or Engram which should be part of whole passing game but I'm limiting this to WR's.

Redskins: McClaurin clearly the best of the group but what else? Maybe McClaurin alone is better then Shepard/Slayton. Possible.

Eagles: Reagor is only WR on the team I feel confident has a sizeable role next season. I think Shepard would be the best WR on this team, at least until Reagor steps up which is possible but have not seen it yet.

Lions-kind of like Redskins. They got Golladay and nothing else. Is that better then Shepard/Slayton? Maybe, but not so sure.

Dolphins- Preston Williams can't stay on the field and that's a big factor for me and while many would disagree I'm not seeing Preston/Parker as a noticeable upgrade on Shepard/Slayton.

Jets: Crowder and Mims is pretty much on par with Slayton and Shepard to me.

Patriots-my vote for clearly the worst WR group in the league. This to me is your easy winner for the team with worse WR's then the Giants plus they don't have a TE and White is a FA. It's ugly as ugly gets here.

Baltimore- Marquise Brown might be a star or at least like a Terry McClaurin level kind of close to NFL#1WR if he had a decent QB. But even with that no one else seems that good and that's with me being real kind of Brown.

Raiders- If we are projecting on what they can be then you might say this is wrong. But if we are talking about what they actually showed I could not say that Ruggs/Braylon Edwards/Renfrow was an upgrade.

Colts-Pittman is all they got under contract with any kind of value. Pittman/Paris/Pascal vs Shepard/Slayton is a wash to me. Pittman and Parris offer a lot of upside but this is kind of like Raiders situation, if I"m basing this on what they could be I'd have left off the Colts but based on what I've actually seen I can't.

Houston- If Fuller is a member of the team then no, they are clearly better but I'm not including him but feel free to throw this team out if you are looking at this in terms of all players on the team, whether FA's or not.

When I commented earlier about 10 I had not actually thought it all the way. I just did this list and then had to count it and it magically came out as 10. Now like I said you can throw out Houston if you want to include Fuller. If we are basing this one who I'd rather have going forward we could also throw out Colts and  Raiders for sure but I was trying to avoid projections and base this on actual performance.

Just my thoughts and actually answering this question made me thing a lot of teams need some WR help which is surprising because all we keep hearing the last few years is how deep most WR classes are.

Users who are viewing this thread