What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (1 Viewer)

Daniel Jones - QB -  Blue Devils

Pro Football Focus notes that Duke QB Daniel Jones had a perfect rating when his pocket was clean on Saturday during the Reese's Senior Bowl.

When Jones was given time to throw, he completed 7-of-8 passes for 101 yard with a score. Those numbers are great, and analysts like NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah came away impressed; but some others like The Draft Network's Joe Marino and Jon Ledyard believe the 6-foot-5, 220-pound quarterback wasn't so hot. We tend to go with the latter, but Jones clearly has his fans, which is why he's going to very likely be a first-round pick in April.

Source: PFF College on Twitter 

Jan 28 - 5:47 PM

Daniel Jones - QB -  Blue Devils

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard doesn't buy Duke QB Daniel Jones as a first-round lock.

"He doesn’t make tough throws. He lacks arm strength for distance and velocity. His production is middling. He throws too many interceptions. I just don’t get it," Ledyard writes. Jones (6'5/220) is coming off an MVP showing at the Reese's Senior Bowl in which he completed 8-of-10 passes for 110 yards and a touchdown (he also rushed for a score). While NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah liked what he saw, Ledyard colleague Joe Marino was more critical of the performance, noting that he "feasted on schemed throws." Ledyard doesn't discount the first round outright, but believes he is more a 'trade back into first round late' type prospect than a true first-round lock.

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 29 - 2:01 PM

He also had Duke up 6-0 at the end if the first quarter vs Clemson, the only time they were down in a quarter ALL YEAR 🤔
 Syracuse had them down at the half and 3rd quarters. Had them on the ropes late in the 4th but couldn't close the deal

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline mocks Duke QB Daniel Jones to the Los Angeles Chargers with the No. 28 overall pick.

Jones (6'5/220) is a tough evaluation because there are some tools present, but his collegiate production and efficiency don't align with other Day 1 quarterbacks historically. It appears that some analysts are sold on Jones developing into an NFL starter, and a team like the Chargers would give Jones time to fix up some of his weaknesses. However, The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard has major concerns regarding Jones' arm strength, which is something that is considered not fixable. After a poor week of Senior Bowl practices, Jones appears closer to the Day 1/Day 2 borderline rather than in the mix as a top-10 selection. There will be a difference of opinion surrounding Jones.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Feb 4 - 3:39 PM

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah says Duke QB Daniel Jones "offers an impressive combination of size, athleticism, and touch."

Outside of Kyler Murray, Jones (6'5/220) is the most debated quarterback in the 2019 NFL Draft. On tape, Jones shows occasional perfect touch and sneaky rushing ability, but some analysts are concerned with his arm strength and lack of on-field production. Against the Power 5 in his career, Jones only averaged 6.1 yards per pass attempt while completing 59% of his passes, despite playing under touted offensive mind David Cutcliffe. Two potential explanations for the lack of production are his teammates -- both the offensive line and receivers -- and his collarbone injury. Many scouts see through these concerns and label Jones as a first-rounder.

Source: NFL on Twitter 

Feb 10 - 6:09 PM

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang doesn't think Duke QB Daniel Jones converted "any doubters into believers" during the throwing session at the NFL Scouting Combine.

A throwing session at the combine shouldn't entirely change anyone's mind on a player, but it certainly doesn't hurt to look better than your competition. Rang noted, "Jones (6'5/221) appeared a little tentative early in the process, guiding the ball on shorter throws rather than uncorking them." Jones also was forced to take a "cro-hop" in order to throw the ball deep due to a lack of arm strength, an issue which "certainly is not news to talent evaluators." Jones oddly got 1st-round hype by big names in the media but that has since died down. He's likely a mid-round selection come April.

SOURCE: NFL Draft Scout

Mar 3, 2019, 4:17 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Dane Brugler notes that Duke QB Daniel Jones has the worst passer rating of any quarterback in the draft class when facing pressure.

As Brugler notes, pressure can be subjective, but in this case, it's defined as "pass attempts in which a quarterback is hurried, hit or knocked down." In those situations, Jones completed just 51-of-130 passes (39.7 percent), and threw five interceptions with just one interception. Multiple analysts -- like Brugler -- have noted that the 6-foot-5, 221-pound quarterback is slow to process, and these kind of numbers back that up. There's clearly arm talent -- and some athleticism -- here, but at the very least, Jones has a long way to go before he's ready to play at the next level.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 6, 2019, 11:50 AM

His line and receivers have some bearing on this stat (not a single 4 or 5 star recruit) but it’s something to note 

Duke QB Daniel Jones threw the ball 54 MPH according to the NFL's ball speed numbers.

Both Jones (6'5/221) and Missouri's Drew Lock tied among quarterbacks for the weakest numbers at the combine. It's odd that they tested so poorly because both quarterbacks are generally viewed as having strong arms. Rotoworld's Hayden Winks found that there is a "weak-to-moderate" relationship with ball speed and interception percentage, yards per game, and touchdowns per game. The results certainly aren't a dagger for either as a prospect but it does add another negative to their profile.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 9, 2019, 9:37 AM

There they are.  Been looking for the arm velocity numbers.  There’s the kiss if death for Jones (and Lock - that surprises me greatly).

Jones oddly got 1st-round hype by big names in the media but that has since died down. He's likely a mid-round selection come April.
This happens every year and is why so many make pure draft decisions.

Tex

NFL.com's Chad Reuter's projects Duke QB Daniel Jones to be selected by the Patriots at pick No. 32.

Reuter's explains "The Patriots could select Jones as their future starter here or another team could trade up from the second round for his services, given that the fifth-year option is attached to first-rounders." We are on board with the Patriots either acquiring or drafting a Tom Brady heir, but it's highly unlikely to be Jones. He's tall but processes the game slowly, struggles against pressure, and posted just a 59 percent completion rate while averaging 6.4 yards per attempt in his time at Duke. It would be a big surprise if Jones is taken by the Patriots in the first round.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 9, 2019, 12:07 PM

Do not want anywhere near round 1 for any team. There is zero chance the Pats take him like is suggested above.

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah lists Duke QB Daniel Jones as a fit for the Chargers.

On paper, this one makes a lot of sense. Philip Rivers is still productive, but is also going to turn 38 this season. Jones (6'5/220) has the size and athleticism you're looking for in a starting quarterback, but his decision making -- particularly the quickness of those decisions -- has come into questions. No one is better at getting rid of the ball quickly than Rivers. It'd have to be in the second round, most likely, but again, on paper, this seems like a great fit.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 18, 2019, 2:23 PM

DANIEL JONES QB, DUKE BLUE DEVILS

Giants GM Dave Gettleman said that Giants fans can expect their future quarterback to come in this year "if everything works out."

The Giants are a mess right now, caught between a rebuild and trying to win with Eli Manning. Gettleman has to think about the long-term future this draft and they have two chances in the first round to find building blocks. However, ESPN's Dianna Russini reported that the team isn't scouting Dwayne Haskins much and she reached the conclusion that an edge rusher is the more likely pick at No. 6 overall with the "future quarterback" coming at No. 17. Benjamin Allbright and other analysts have insinuated that Jones is in consideration there. Gettleman, who is the leader of the anti-analytics community, picking a quarterback with a career 6.4 YPA in the first round would be too perfect.

SOURCE: Tom Rock on Twitter

Mar 18, 2019, 6:26 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler believes Duke QB Daniel Jones projects as a "B-Level NFL Starter."

Despite Brugler admitting Jones (6'5/220) "doesn’t have any exceptional physical traits" and "doesn’t have a very impressive resume on paper," Jones still excites him. A lot of that has to do with the "Manning influence with his footwork, pocket mannerisms and his release." Jones posted dreadful stats at Duke with just a 60 percent completion rate while averaging 6.4 yards per attempt. He's most recently been linked to the Giants at No. 6 overall, a selection that would be a total reach inside of the top-10 picks or even the first round for a player of Jones' caliber.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 19, 2019, 8:25 PM

I'm still befuddled that a guy dreadful stats at Duke, who didn't do well in the combine is being listed as a top 10 selection. 

I'd rather take Jarrett Stidham much later.

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah believes that Duke QB Daniel Jones' best fit is the Los Angeles Chargers.

Jones' (6'5/220) perceived draft stock has fallen over the last few weeks with the expectation being that Jones will be drafted somewhere between 15th overall to somewhere in Round 2. The Chargers are owners of the 28th overall pick, so they are right in his expected range. Jones, who averaged 6.4 yards per attempt in college, is considered by some -- not everyone -- as a potential starter. With Philip Rivers' career coming to an end in the next year or so, the Chargers are looking for the next franchise QB, so they are a team to watch during the 2019 NFL Draft or in the Josh Rosen sweepstakes.

SOURCE: NFL on Twitter

Mar 23, 2019, 1:21 PM

NFL Network's Charles Davis passes along that Duke QB Daniel Jones was "sharp" and "accurate" during his pro day on Tuesday.

Davis noted on social media that Jones showed off better arm strength than he had expected during his throwing routine. The 6-foot-5, 220-pound Duke gunslinger also impressed in his runs through the 40-yard dash, with NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah posting to Twitter that his top run came in at 4.67 seconds. A considerable improvement off of his sprint of 4.81 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine. Jones is not a given to be drafted on Day 1 by any stretch of the imagination, but his pro day work aided the effort toward that cause.

SOURCE: Charles Davis on Twitter

Mar 26, 2019, 2:09 PM

Troy Aikman quote on Twitter:

“Caught the tail-end of Duke’s Daniel Jones’ pro day and liked what I saw - accurate ball placement which is #1 for me when evaluating QBs”

Pro Day Report – Duke

Excerpt:

The Duke pro day was held indoors and the big attraction was quarterback Daniel Jones.  There were just a few position coaches on hand and no major front office personnel due to the league meetings, but the quarterback sill impressed.

Quarterback coaches from the New York Giants and Washington Redskins, rival teams from the NFC East in need of a young passer, were both on hand to watch Daniel Jones.  People I spoke with tell me Jones looked good, displaying touch as well as accuracy on his throws.  He also displayed a good amount of speed on the outs and left a favorable impression.

We will have more on Jones’ pro day, and the word bandied about on where he mayend up in the draft during this week’s podcast.

Duke QB Daniel Jones will be visiting the New York Giants for a private workout Thursday in East Rutherford.

The Giants were one of the teams represented at Duke's pro day on Tuesday, with OC Mike Shula getting an in-person look at Jones (6'5/220). This time around HC Pat Shurmur will get his own look at the young signal-caller, as he was at the NFL league meetings and thus could not attend the pro day. The Giants have two first-round picks in next month's draft, 6th and 17th overall, and with Eli Manning entering his 16th season the franchise does need to find its quarterback of the future. The team has also taken a look at West Virginia's Will Grier and Missouri's Drew Lock at their schools' respective pro days.

SOURCE: SNY.com

Mar 27, 2019, 8:37 PM

Benjamin Allbright compares Duke QB Daniel Jones to Ryan Tannehill.

Jones (6'5/220) and Tannehill have very similar athletic profiles and college stats, but Tannehill was an older prospect. At college, Jones' best AYPA season was 6.9 while Tannehill's was 7.0, both stats are well below average for starting quarterbacks. Tannehill ended up being drafted with the 8th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, but Jones currently sits on the Round 1/2 borderline. Allbright also offers Dwayne Haskins/Jameis Winston, Drew Lock/Jay Cutler, Will Grier/Case Keenum, and Tyree Jackson/Paxton Lynch as comparisons.

SOURCE: Benjamin Allbright on Twitter

Mar 29, 2019, 4:30 PM

Pro Football Focus' Steve Palazzolo calls Duke QB Daniel Jones a "Nick Foles lite".

Jones (6'5/220) has been compared to Foles, Alex Smith, and Ryan Tannehill by industry leaders, and while it's not the greatest mix of comparables, it's certainly not the worst. The primary knock against Jones is his arm talent with both strength and accuracy coming into the conversation. On the flip side, Jones has been praised for his football intelligence and sneaky athleticism. The arm strength should keep him out of the top-12 picks, but it won't be a surprise if he draws a first-round pick in a few weeks.

SOURCE: Steve Palazzolo on Twitter

Apr 3, 2019, 8:46 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Duke QB Daniel Jones met with the Giants, Broncos, Dolphins, Chargers, and Washington.

Schefter noted that all teams had private meetings and workouts with Jones (6'5/220). These are pretty much all of the teams who are rumored to be interested in selecting a quarterback early in the NFL Draft. Jones' stock is all over the place at the moment with a top-15 selection seemingly in play. Former NFL personnel man Greg Gabriel believes there's "no way" Jones even falls to No. 17 overall. It'll be tough to know exactly where Jones will land but with this much interest from teams holding high draft picks it's tough to believe he'll make it out of the first round.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 6, 2019, 9:43 AM

The Washington Redskins are hosting Duke QB Daniel Jones and Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins on visits.

Washington is digging deep into this quarterback class and have visited or are scheduled to visit with just about every quarterback prospect with a chance to start in the NFL. It's presumed that they are analyzing if any of the quarterbacks are better than Josh Rosen, who has been connected to Washington from top beat reporters over the last week. If Washington is serious about any of this year's quarterbacks, it's expected that they would have to trade up to draft him since their 15th overall pick is behind the Broncos (10th), Bengals (11th), and Dolphins (13th).

Apr 10, 2019, 8:51 AM

The New England Patriots are hosting Duke QB Daniel Jones on a pre-draft visit.

With reported top-10 buzz, the Patriots would likely have to make a big move up from 32nd overall to draft Jones, something that seems unlikely on the surface. However, the Patriots have a ton of draft capital that they can turn into higher picks. With Tom Brady still winning Super Bowls, it's tough to predict when the Patriots will get serious about finding his successor. Perhaps Will Grier, who is also visiting New England, is a better fit as a projected Day 2 pick.

Apr 10, 2019, 11:41 AM

I'm convinced this is their target with their later 1st rounder. which isnt a bad destination. Hes basically Eli Manning reincarnated 
The more I watch of Jones, the more I think Eli is his absolute ceiling. I think he's a lot closer to a guy like Mike Glennon. 

I really wonder why he's considered a better prospect than Ryan Finley, let alone a guy like Will Grier, or (gasp) Haskins? 

The more I watch of Jones, the more I think Eli is his absolute ceiling. I think he's a lot closer to a guy like Mike Glennon. 

I really wonder why he's considered a better prospect than Ryan Finley, let alone a guy like Will Grier, or (gasp) Haskins? 
I like him a lot and then his combine really took the wind out of those sails. Grier seems much better IMO. Finely even as well. 

The more I think about it, why is being coached by Cutcliffe a positive? If he's this amazing QB guru, then why wasn't Jones better in college? If he's this amazing QB guru, isn't it possible Jones is already at his peak, and that NFL coaching won't improve his development?

The more I think about it, why is being coached by Cutcliffe a positive? If he's this amazing QB guru, then why wasn't Jones better in college? If he's this amazing QB guru, isn't it possible Jones is already at his peak, and that NFL coaching won't improve his development?
IMO the draw is Peyton Manning's success. 

Jones seems like he checks all of the boxes except for arm strength, which is practically a poison pill. 

I think the glennon comparison made earlier is a pretty good one. 

I hope he is drafted in the first 2 rounds so that he can go in my rookie draft and drop better QBs to me late

I can answer this. Duke doesn't get 4 or 5 star players. EVER. I think a lot of the elite talent also may not qualify to get into Duke. His line was horribly rated. I think he had the 2nd worst drops by his receivers in college football, there was just a lot going against him. I'm not saying he's a slam dunk stud in the NFL, but I think he will do better with better talent around him. He was the MVP of the senior bowl which was encouraging. Definitely a very polarizing player right now. Some like him, some hate him. I think Cutfliffe is a phenomenal coach, but you can only do so much with the talent around you. 

Jordan Hoover‏ @jhoover9787

Daniel Jones is one of 56 college QBs since 2000 with a career passer rating of 125 or less with at least 1,000 attempts.

Of that group, Derek Anderson and Josh Freeman are the only two with a QB2 or better finish to their name.

9:08 AM - 26 Jan 2019

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson said there is one team who has Duke QB Daniel Jones as their No. 1 quarterback.

"Y’all know exactly who that team is," Robinson hints. That team would be the New York Giants if we read between the lines. It's not too surprising if you've paid attention, but Jones being the 6th overall pick would be one of the great #DraftTwitter moments of all time. To add credence to the report, NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah mocked Jones to the Giants at No. 6 overall before it was cool. We are in the middle of lying season, so nothing is ever set in stone, but Jones going top-10 is as likely as it's ever been.

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Apr 19, 2019, 6:12 PM

Users who are viewing this thread