What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (2 Viewers)

Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford were drafting to be peyton Manning's... How'd that turn out?

He won't be a star, likely. But i can see him being pretty serviceable overall. 

Matthew Stafford is the best QB the Lions have had since Bobby Layne.

Cover 3: Takeaways from Week 1 of OTAs

Excerpt:

Daniel Jones has the arm strength to excel in this league. His ball cuts through the wind nicely, and he can make all the throws. Aside from a couple of late/underthrown balls in the third OTA, his play has been very encouraging. The trickiest thing for a rookie quarterback is not to get lost swimming in a new playbook, and it will be fun to watch how he reacts to having the offense expand throughout OTAs.

I hope so bad Daniel Jones pans out.  There’s so many people on this board that think they know better than NFL GM’s.  
Me too. I liked him prior to the combine, then soured after he performed so badly. I'm so so on him now..

I think he will be pretty good, not great. I think his ceiling is Eli Manning. which isnt bad. 

I've said all along he has all the tools, he's just never been around elite talent. I'm still hopeful for him, even though I'd rather the Giants crash and burn being a Skins fan ;)

I've said all along he has all the tools, he's just never been around elite talent. I'm still hopeful for him, even though I'd rather the Giants crash and burn being a Skins fan ;)
Eli was around legit nobodies at Ole Miss and carried them to the Cotton Bowl. Daniel Jones was around nobodies and carried them *checks Wiki* to the Independence Bowl?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who stood out at Giants OTA practice? (5/31)

Excerpt:

QB DANIEL JONES: The sixth overall pick capped the second week of OTAs with one of his best practices, racking up completions from one-on-one drills to two-minute situations to regular team periods. While there weren’t many “wow” highlights for the offense, the ball seldom hit the ground off the arm of Jones. The Duke product had special connections going with wide receiver Corey Coleman and tight end Garrett Dickerson throughout the morning. Jones did some damage during the two-minute drill throwing in their direction as both targets have been stacking solid practices. Coleman made a great touchdown catch in the back corner of the end zone in Wednesday’s practice, and Dickerson has started to accumulate receptions. Wide receiver Bennie Fowler also had a strong showing on Friday, highlighted by a pair of touchdowns from Eli Manning during one-on-one drills in the red zone.

“We're taking it one day at a time, in that we're trying to practice the best we can here in OTAs, and with the season in mind and trying to all prepare ourselves for that first game,” Jones said earlier in the week. “Like I said, we're focused on what we're doing here, making sure tomorrow's practice is as sharp as it can be and through the summer. It's been good so far and I’m looking forward to finishing strong."

Meanwhile, Pat Shurmur and his staff will continue to put more on his plate.

“He obviously has a great foundation for playing the position,” Shurmur said. “We gave him a small group of plays the first day of rookie minicamp. Then we gave him another group and another group. We kept piling on. I think he is doing a good job sorting through it and learning the details of the position. You never totally know where a player is when you get him. He was ready to compete when he got here. It was just a matter of him learning how we do it here.”

Giants coach Pat Shurmur did not rule out No. 6 overall pick Daniel Jones starting Week 1.

"You never know what is going to happen," Shurmur said after commenting Jones is on track to be ready to play Week 1. The coach did still call Eli Manning the starter, but this is a bit of a wobble from an organization which has been adamant Manning will be the guy this season. Manning starting Week 1 remains the most likely outcome, but it sounds like Jones will get a real shot to push him.

RELATED: 

Eli Manning

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Jun 11, 2019, 11:40 AM ET

The Shurmur Giants don't seem to be any different than the McAdont Giants. Montana in his best season couldnt turn around the franchise at this point.they need so much help defensively, on the o-line, at the WR position, etc. Vegas o/u wins and losses is 5.5. 1 game better than the Dolphins at the bottom of the list at 4.5. 

Because mock drafts said he should go later? 

NFL GMs know more about whom each team is interested in. And you wont get a team to admit now that they wanted Jones before 17- especially when those teams took their own QB and are "thrilled" to get "their guy."

Not saying Jones was worth 6, but it's possible no one wanted to trade up and the Giants knew hed be gone by 17. 

This article is true though, Giants are in a lose lose situation, but what gets people/fans over it is winning. 

Not saying Jones was worth 6, but it's possible no one wanted to trade up and the Giants knew hed be gone by 17.
There was a lot of scuttlebutt that the Redskins were going to take him, I'm still trying to decide whether or not they are lying by saying that they wanted Haskins all along.

There was a lot of scuttlebutt that the Redskins were going to take him, I'm still trying to decide whether or not they are lying by saying that they wanted Haskins all along.
I agree it's impossible to know if this is true or just a ploy to get NY to use their higher pick on Jones. 

Prior to the draft the Giants did a good job, IMO, of smokescreen for Haskins. So it's very likely other teams really committed to other options such as Jones assuming Haskins was destined to go 6. 

Who knows; I wont pretend to. But Giant fans need to get over the fact that they used the pick on Jones and look to the future. 

Can you imagine this offense if they got Jeudy next year!?

I agree it's impossible to know if this is true or just a ploy to get NY to use their higher pick on Jones. 

Prior to the draft the Giants did a good job, IMO, of smokescreen for Haskins. So it's very likely other teams really committed to other options such as Jones assuming Haskins was destined to go 6. 

Who knows; I wont pretend to. But Giant fans need to get over the fact that they used the pick on Jones and look to the future. 

Can you imagine this offense if they got Jeudy next year!?
Indeed.

Jones + Jeudy would be almost as good as being able to pair an Odell Beckham with a mid-tier QB like, say, Eli Manning.

Such heights the Giants can aspire to!

Because mock drafts said he should go later? 

NFL GMs know more about whom each team is interested in. And you wont get a team to admit now that they wanted Jones before 17- especially when those teams took their own QB and are "thrilled" to get "their guy."

This article is true though, Giants are in a lose lose situation, but what gets people/fans over it is winning. 
If they wanted Jones, right. If they would have been okay waiting for Tua, not really. 

But yes, if Jones helps them win a ring people will stop calling it a bad pick

If they wanted Jones, right. If they would have been okay waiting for Tua, not really. 

But yes, if Jones helps them win a ring people will stop calling it a bad pick
next year is a pretty good qb class even outside of Tua, which is why (I think) many teams didnt feel the need to go qb early and the trade market was cool for Rosen. Which is why I am intrigued by Jones as he is one of the exceptions and went higher than most people thought. 

Unfortunately for Jones, this pick follows him forever. It's the reverse of what Rodgers lives with regarding dropping so significantly. 

Time will tell but I have faith in him having a ceiling higher than what many in here have alluded to. 

I think Gettleman just liked the guy for some reason, maybe because he's handsome or reminded him of his ex (Eli), but those type of relationships usually don't work out.

Coach Pat Shurmur said No. 6 overall pick Daniel Jones has "exceeded expectations" to this point.

"We really haven’t seen anything he can’t do in terms of playing quarterback," Shurmur continued, while also praising Jones' smarts, ability to throw, and mobility. Promising words from Shurmur, but reports continue to be Jones won't be given a chance to start Week 1. Meanwhile, Eli Manning said Wednesday he believes he can still make "all the throws" on the field. Jones is bound to get year-one starts. It's just a matter of when.

Jul 24, 2019, 3:06 PM ET

Kurt Warner: Live Snaps Best Way To Prep Daniel Jones

Excerpt:

Warner said one of the biggest questions he has about Jones as an NFL quarterback is whether he’ll be that guy who can function when things around him aren’t’ going so well or if he’ll be just another guy.

“I think he knows how to play the game. But what I believe in this business is that you have to have a level of physicality because there’s going to be times where you’re not on time with every throw. Everybody has enough arm, and everybody throws it far enough and can make all the throws— that’s never the question. 

"The question is if I’m in your face and you’ve gotta make that throw this way, or I’m a second late, and that window closes can I make that throw? 

“There are some guys that have to play in more of a perfect world, and they can be really good quarterbacks, but they have trouble taking an elevating their team and carrying their team when things aren’t great. 

"And that to me is the biggest question I have with Daniel. Can he be that guy who can carry a team with his right arm no matter what the situation at this level?" 

With Daniel Jones Waiting, When Do Giants Sit Eli Manning?

Excerpt:

Jones still has much to prove to Warner. He has all the intangibles to play in the NFL, but can he raise his game as a pro and make the throws under more pressure?

"When you watched him in college, there were times that physically where you wondered does he have that — that next-level talent from a physical standpoint doesn't mean he can't be great with that," he said. "It just means the margin of error shrinks a lot and you have to be in tune with all those other things that you have to do."

Time will tell.

Daniel Jones has yet to take a first-team rep in Giants camp.

The Giants are first trying to figure out what they have in Eli Manning. "We have a plan for how this is all going to play out," coach Pat Shurmur claimed Tuesday. "Just let it unfold for you." Shurmur did hint that Jones could eventually spend some time with the first team. As we've said before, any time the Giants spend not getting Jones ready to start is wasted time.

RELATED: 

Eli Manning

Jul 30, 2019, 1:51 PM ET

Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan

The daily Daniel Jones update: Struggled on a day when lightning in the area forced the Giants indoors. He went 7-of-16 passing with an interception in the end zone. He almost threw a second INT as well. The rookie naturally experiencing his ups and downs. #Giants

Dual threat?  Dude ran a 4.80.
I'm guessing you didn't watch every Duke game like I did. He runs for first downs and TDs on a very regular basis.  He ran for 7 TDs in each of his first 2 seasons and probably would have done it again last year again had he not broken his collarbone earlier in the season. 

I'm guessing you didn't watch every Duke game like I did. He runs for first downs and TDs on a very regular basis.  He ran for 7 TDs in each of his first 2 seasons and probably would have done it again last year again had he not broken his collarbone earlier in the season. 
Duke had a horrible team.  The giants may be bad, but coaches are going to teach him to throw the ball away instead of pulling it down and running for a few extra yards in the off chance he gets injured.

Every time i watched Jones in college, he was the best player on the field. He is a good leader and a good producer. Will be a good 15 year pro that will keep the NYG on the hunt for a Superbowl every year.

Duke had a horrible team.  The giants may be bad, but coaches are going to teach him to throw the ball away instead of pulling it down and running for a few extra yards in the off chance he gets injured.
Duke was 8-5 last year and in duke standards thats an amazing year

So do The Giants start Eli in one more home game as a swan song,week 2 vs. The Bills? Or do they follow The Mets lead with Pete Alonso and start Jones from week 1?

For all the G.M.'s bluster and the coach's evasive answers they didn't use the #6 overall pick to draft a project or sit him for 3 years. They believe in him enough where

he will be the starter this year,sooner or later. Thoughts? :coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread