Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Atlantic City, NJ Thread***


eoMMan

Recommended Posts

Ocean Resort Casino is changing hands again after only 6 months.  The rumor is that an Indian Tribe that runs another casino in NY is the buyer.  I stopped in over Christmas time and it's a beautiful place.  I hope it survives and if an AC casino dies, I hope it's one of the small, older ones and not Ocean.

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/casinos_tourism/ocean-resort-casino-changing-hands-after-six-months/article_144bef0f-60cb-5c1a-8c6f-f2f2e089785b.html

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Nothing better than summer of 2009 (ish) when the idiots who ran murmur at Borgata were charging $11 for enormous glasses of Macallan 12

Why are they idiots?

 

Borgata is Atlantic City's top-earning casino, pulling in $695.3 million in gaming revenue and $204.4 million in gross operating profits in 2009, according to New Jersey Casino Control Commission.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Why are they idiots?

 

Borgata is Atlantic City's top-earning casino, pulling in $695.3 million in gaming revenue and $204.4 million in gross operating profits in 2009, according to New Jersey Casino Control Commission.

murmur was a club. They started charging $20/glass the next summer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I've got a short AC trip coming up.  Highlights will include:

- $50 NL tourney at Tropicana

- $100 NL tourney at Borgata

- Cash games at Bally's and Borgata

- Checking out Ocean Resort & Casino again.  I've heard really good things about the chef burger at Villians & Saints there.

- Eating all the food at Chickie's & Petes in Tropicana

- Walking boardwalk

- Sports betting

- ???

Edited by eoMMan
...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

I've got a short AC trip coming up.  Highlights will include:

- $50 NL tourney at Tropicana

- $100 NL tourney at Borgata

- Cash games at Bally's and Borgata

- Checking out Ocean Resort & Casino again.  I've heard really good things about the chef burger at Villians & Saints there.

- Eating all the food at Chickie's & Petes in Tropicana

- Walking boardwalk

- Sports betting

- ???

Cash games at Ballys blow. Old man coffee and the hourly comp grinders are all you get. Save yourself and just play the cash at the borgata. Plus Ballys is a total dump.

Edited by The Big Guy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

Cash games at Ballys blow. Old man coffee and the hourly comp grinders are all you get. Save yourself and just play the cash at the borgata. Plus Ballys is a total dump.

I hear ya.  My plan was to keep the Ballys cash games to evening/night.  Staying at Caesars so Ballys is conveniently located close by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

I hear ya.  My plan was to keep the Ballys cash games to evening/night.  Staying at Caesars so Ballys is conveniently located close by.

I forget which tower, but look up which one is much better and do the $20 to the person checking you in move asking to be placed in that one. Big difference between towers at Caesars IIRC.

Probably still better off going to borgata to play, depends on what you play, but they have many more tables open and a better crowd on many levels.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be heading down there tomorrow to judge some BBQ on Saturday at the MidAtlantic BBQ Expo.  Event is at the Showboat so staying there.  It's kind of weird there since they reopened without the casino but I just saw they also added a vintage arcade since last time I've been there.  I haven't been into the Ocean casino in any of its forms yet so may stop in to check it out while I'm there.

What poker rooms are still worth visiting nowadays?

Edited by Lehigh98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Lehigh98 said:

I'll be heading down there tomorrow to judge some BBQ on Saturday at the MidAtlantic BBQ Expo.  Event is at the Showboat so staying there.  It's kind of weird there since they reopened without the casino but I just saw they also added a vintage arcade since last time I've been there.  I haven't been into the Ocean casino in any of its forms yet so may stop in to check it out while I'm there.

What poker rooms are still worth visiting nowadays?

Poker is all borgata. Ballys and harrahs are next, but lower tier people and wait times for open seats can be annoying. Trop and nugget are basically useless for poker to me.

I took my kid to a comic expo at showboat and it is really weird since they left some of the casino debris on the floor in the room. Sounds worse than it was, but still little weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Lehigh98 said:

I'll be heading down there tomorrow to judge some BBQ on Saturday at the MidAtlantic BBQ Expo.  Event is at the Showboat so staying there.  It's kind of weird there since they reopened without the casino but I just saw they also added a vintage arcade since last time I've been there.  I haven't been into the Ocean casino in any of its forms yet so may stop in to check it out while I'm there.

What poker rooms are still worth visiting nowadays?

New Ocean is nice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Anyone use the Jitney to get to and from the airport?  I read that they are always at the airport and you don't need an appointment from the airport to casinos.

Airport? Are you flying to Atlantic City? :mindbliown:

Where are you flying from?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Airport? Are you flying to Atlantic City? :mindbliown:

Where are you flying from?

ACY

It's technically not in AC. I think it's in Egg Harbor Township or something (near Stockton College). 

Lower tier airport but quick and easy. Only services Spirit Airlines. 

I won't be asking someone to switch seats with me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

ACY

It's technically not in AC. I think it's in Egg Harbor Township or something (near Stockton College). 

Lower tier airport but quick and easy. Only services Spirit Airlines. 

I won't be asking someone to switch seats with me.

It's not really near Stockton college..... I mean I guess you could say technically it is but not really :)

Jitney is 10 bucks. It's a 9 Mile drive down the expressway.  But has stops.  Uber/cab might be better if in a hurry

When you land?  What day?

Edited by belljr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

Poker is all borgata. Ballys and harrahs are next, but lower tier people and wait times for open seats can be annoying. Trop and nugget are basically useless for poker to me.

I took my kid to a comic expo at showboat and it is really weird since they left some of the casino debris on the floor in the room. Sounds worse than it was, but still little weird.

How is the Hard Rock room?  Haven't been there since they remodeled the Taj other than to walk through

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, eoMMan said:

ACY

It's technically not in AC. I think it's in Egg Harbor Township or something (near Stockton College). 

Lower tier airport but quick and easy. Only services Spirit Airlines. 

I won't be asking someone to switch seats with me.

My favorite regional airport in Jersey, such a breeze flying out of there, great for Myrtle Beach hops

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

How is the Hard Rock room?  Haven't been there since they remodeled the Taj other than to walk through

There is no hard rock room. They did not even try to compete. Imagine that there are not enough players to be bothered these days with the casinos around Philly siphoning off players from the pool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, eoMMan said:

ACY

It's technically not in AC. I think it's in Egg Harbor Township or something (near Stockton College). 

Lower tier airport but quick and easy. Only services Spirit Airlines. 

I won't be asking someone to switch seats with me.

Yes, but where are you flying from? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

There is no hard rock room. They did not even try to compete. Imagine that there are not enough players to be bothered these days with the casinos around Philly siphoning off players from the pool.

damn thats heartbreaking, that was where I first played in college, pre rounders, half the room was 7 card stud, and by the end of the Taj they'd have 1 or 2 tables

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been probably a dozen times but not for several years. Always drove, valeted at the Trop and drove out a few days later. Never saw the light of day

Trying for a long weekend with my wife, just turned 21 yr old daughter and 3 yr old granddaughter so will want to be on the beach more than in the casinos. 

Used to stay comped every time, those days are gone.

Anyone have a rec on a place to stay that’s a short walk to the beach and acceptable with a little one in tow?

:oldunsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Been probably a dozen times but not for several years. Always drove, valeted at the Trop and drove out a few days later. Never saw the light of day

Trying for a long weekend with my wife, just turned 21 yr old daughter and 3 yr old granddaughter so will want to be on the beach more than in the casinos. 

Used to stay comped every time, those days are gone.

Anyone have a rec on a place to stay that’s a short walk to the beach and acceptable with a little one in tow?

:oldunsure:

Would highly, highly advise not actually staying in Atlantic City but in one of the nicer neighboring towns, if you're trying to enjoy the beach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

Would highly, highly advise not actually staying in Atlantic City but in one of the nicer neighboring towns, if you're trying to enjoy the beach.

 What are the nicer neighboring towns?

eta: with the shortest trip to a casino? But where I’m not afraid to be outside at night lol

Edited by Cowboysfan8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Ocean City, NJ, is great for families. They have a boardwalk too that kids and adults both love. It's about a 20 minute drive to AC from there.

Hmm. I did not realize that Ocean City was only 20 minutes from Atlantic City. So which beach towns are also that close or closer to Atlantic City that are not dry town’s? Thank you for your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Hmm. I did not realize that Ocean City was only 20 minutes from Atlantic City. So which beach towns are also that close or closer to Atlantic City that are not dry town’s? Thank you for your help

Stone Harbor and Avalon are nice beach towns that are not dry.  Still great for families.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Hmm. I did not realize that Ocean City was only 20 minutes from Atlantic City. So which beach towns are also that close or closer to Atlantic City that are not dry town’s? Thank you for your help

Ocean City is dry but that doesn't mean to can't drink there.

The best kept secret is Brigantine imo.  Great beaches (you need tags during the summer). Got married here. We stay here every year.   

5 - 10 minutes to Borgata, Harrah's, Golden Nugget.   

Negatives: no board walk, 1 beach bar, and much quieter than AC and the others

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2019 at 10:28 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

I've never been - is it worth a visit on my way from DC to NYC? 

Just finished re-watching Boardwalk Empire. I've been to Vegas many times and will soon live in Tahoe, so not a huge desire to gamble a ton - maybe some $10 table blackjack (am I crazy to think those exist?) and sports book.  

Stay at brigantine or one of the other beaches. AC town wise is almost as bad as Camden unless you are in one of the hotels. This was the main reason when I stayed in Brigatine of wanting to go to AC to see what it was about. This was the Sept before the Election and the trump Taj Mahal had minority workers and some of their staff striking at the hotel Casinoe of don't go there or spend money after comments he was making. It was an interesting visit non the less. I did find a great fudge place. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

in a nice story (I just recently came across this thread) about 2-3 weeks ago my friends took their son who has a ton of food allergies (Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts and Dairy) who is 1.5 yrs old to The Rain Forest Cafe in AC. It was only their 2nd time out to a restaurant. Here's what she said about the trip 

"The Rainforest Cafe was wonderful from the hostess that took our reservation, the waitress who got him a cool cup every other kid had (only his had water), and the chef who came out to talk to us/take our order and personally and deliver his food. They absolutely made our day and we can’t wait to do it again"

As someone with a Dad who has celiac disease I know how hard it is to go out to eat. A lot of times for special family occasions especially my brothers and I birthdays we have to pick places that are GF. Luckily more places either have separate menus or will accommodate this now then ever before. However my Friends trip with their son to all places AC the staff at this place was more then helpful to them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Look at Atlantic City casinos having a very strong January 2020...

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/casinos_tourism/atlantic-city-casino-revenue-up-to-start/article_0e26c3ca-a688-5529-80c7-d06ac289411a.html

I think the NJ sports betting and legalized on-line gambling is paying off.

I do think they have enough casinos though and agree that the Showboat shouldn't get their gambling license.  They need to do more to attract visitors away from gambling.  This could be concerts, other shows, conventions, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Was up there last week.  Stayed a night at Ocean Resort and was impressed.  I snagged a comped room and it was actually really nice.  Definitely nicer than Bally's and Tropicana rooms.  

Aside from the room, the entire Ocean Resort was really nice.  Check it out.

But they really need to bring back the poker tables.  I think it closed at the end of January.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

I used to go once a year. I've now gone 3 times in the last 6 months and again in march all due to sports gambling. I stay at borgata. Going march 19 for tournament. Can't wait. 

I'm glad you're coming and all but isn't it just as easy to just drive over the bridge and place some bets online cuz that's what I do lol

Matter of fact I could just go place bets for you as a proxy if you want 😛

Edited by belljr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Was up there last week.  Stayed a night at Ocean Resort and was impressed.  I snagged a comped room and it was actually really nice.  Definitely nicer than Bally's and Tropicana rooms.  

Aside from the room, the entire Ocean Resort was really nice.  Check it out.

But they really need to bring back the poker tables.  I think it closed at the end of January.

Gone about 4 times since the summer. Ocean has been great with comps....and I don't even gamble that much. I'm currently getting 3 nights free per week. (They just took my Saturday nights away)

Going again on 27th and 3rd for 2 comped Jay Leno tix 🤷‍♂️

Leave work (near philly) and go straight there for a Friday night. It's kinda turned into a getaway night. Meet a friend there for dinner then he leaves and I crash. Play a bit, smoke a cigar, people watch, maybe hit the pool. 

Wife hasn't complained yet.... :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to Mohegan Sun Pocono on Belmont day and signed up for a card

Barely gambled in the casino at all, played horses for a few hours

I got an email recently that I have a free 2 (week) nights at Resorts in AC between now and end of May

Apparently Resorts is a Mohegan Sun property. I haven’t been to AC in several yrs. Used to go twice a yr and never stayed  anywhere except the Trop. Stayed there for free whenever we wanted back in the day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, belljr said:

I'm glad you're coming and all but isn't it just as easy to just drive over the bridge and place some bets online cuz that's what I do lol

Matter of fact I could just go place bets for you as a proxy if you want 😛

I work in NJ. It's more about the atmosphere in the sports book. I do other gambling as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...