What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (2 Viewers)

To me, Wait is almost as groovy as The Word, and was also included on my 90-minute cassette.
Wait is one of my favorite “less appreciated” songs.  My son - when he’s courageous enough to sing - will sometimes sing along to this and a few other songs with me.  Mrs APK gets annoyed by how much I like the harmony in this song because it “sounds off to her.”

The Word?  Ugh.  Painful to my ears.

Is it wrong that I’m reading this thread on my phone while watching a Rolling Stones documentary?

OK, I got to the monkey monkey song. I love it mainly for the same reasons you do. It made my 90-minute cassette and it was hell trying to fit the title on one of those tiny slots Maxell gave you. I should have just labeled it monkey monkey song.

If there’s one thing that I love in my rock and roll, it’s controlled chaos - you’ll see plenty of examples in my Neil thread. Stuff that bashes along and seems like it’s gonna go off the rails but doesn’t. This is one of the best Beatles examples of that. They are usually more compact and refined. I love the grimy guitar sounds, and again, these weren’t as common with the Beatles as they were with Neil, Hendrix, etc. So when I hear stuff like this from them, it’s a pleasant surprise. The drive on this song is so fierce and the sonic stew is so thick that I don’t care in the slightest that the lyrics are dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve Got a Feeling and Don’t Let Me Down are also big for me. A common thread among songs that made my 90-minute cassette was “awesome songs that aren’t played to death on the radio”
Both big favorites of mine (as you know from the rankings).  Don't Let Me Down has such a raw, desperate quality.  Only John could let loose with those types of emotions (among the Beatles); even Paul's devastating lyrics as in For No One still had so much refinement in the presentation.  I've Got a Feeling is just a perfect blend of both Paul and John.

Oh no. I would have had a heart attack if I’d been around to see Tomorrow Never Knows thrown out at 45. On most days my #1 is that or While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I took it in the desert island draft my other sports/music geek board did a few years ago. 

To me it combines the best elements of Eastern and Western music. 

I’m also a huge fan of I Feel Fine, especially when played back to back with She’s a Woman, but given everything else in the arsenal, I dunno if I would have ranked it much higher than you did.

@Binky The Doormat The Day Tripper tribute you posted, was that Utopia’s Take It Home? Love that tune.
yep.  

Deface the Music is the fifth studio album by the band Utopia. The concept of the album was to pay homage to The Beatles and create songs which sounded very similar to the Fab Four's tunes throughout the various stages of their career. Their song "Take It Home", replete with guitar riff, is their homage to "Day Tripper". The first track, "I Just Want to Touch You", was written by Todd Rundgren for the Roadie soundtrack. It was rejected by the movie's producers for fear of legal action because it sounded so much like the Beatles.[4]

Utopia Song = Beatles Tribute Song

1"I Just Want to Touch You   "2:00"   Please Please Me", "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

2"Crystal Ball   "2:00"   Can't Buy Me Love"

3"Where Does the World Go to Hide   "1:41"   A World Without Love", "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"

4"Silly Boy"   2:20   "I'm a Loser", "I'll Cry Instead"

5"Alone"   2:10   "And I Love Her"

6"That's Not Right"   2:37   "Eight Days a Week"

7"Take It Home"   2:53   "Day Tripper"

8"Hoi Poloi"   2:33   "Penny Lane"

9"Life Goes On"   2:21   "Eleanor Rigby"

10"Feel Too Good"   3:04   "Getting Better", "Fixing a Hole"

11"Always Late"   2:22   "Martha My Dear", "Yellow Submarine"

12"All Smiles"   2:27   "Michelle", "I Will"

13"Everybody Else Is Wrong"   3:38"   Strawberry Fields Forever", "I Am the Walrus"

Cool. I had that cassette a long time ago. Sophomore year, when my roommate and I were about to leave for winter break, we took turns playing songs with "home" in the title and Take It Home was one of mine. 

Am I blind? It looks like your original writeups of 44 to 36 are missing. All I see is Orton's reactions and your reactions to his reactions.

Anyway, a few comments on those:

I am the Walrus -- It's fun but I don't take it too seriously. 

Love love love -- Too much hippie, though it was fun to see Paul Weller cover this -- I've only seen him once and he ended his show with it. 

Day Tripper -- One of the greatest riffs ever. 

I Saw Her Standing There -- The lyrics have not aged well either, but I see this as different from You're 16 because it's written from the perspective of someone who is not that much older than 17. Other than the opening line, it's standard teenagers-in-lust stuff that people wrote about all the time back then. Whereas You're 16 is written from a Sugar Daddy perspective (at best) and the lyrics imply possession. It's beyond icky. Musically, ISHST is one of my favorites from the early Beatles (pre-Help). 

Hey Bulldog -- My other sports/music geek site has done two Beatles song drafts. I was not in the first (which was Beatles releases only) but was in the second (which was group and solo songs). In the first one, a guy who was a friend of one of the regulars and joined the site only for the draft had the first overall pick. Knowing nothing about VBD or scarcity, his first pick was his favorite song -- Hey Bulldog. It became a running joke there for years. I like the percussive piano, Paul's bass and John's vocal on this one.

I'm Looking Through You -- I just can't deal with the sudden gruff in Paul's voice at the end of each verse. It sounds like he's trying too hard to be tough. 

Mother Nature's Son -- The first version I ever heard was John Denver's, and as you might expect it's godawful. I was pleasantly surprised to discover, upon my first listen to the White Album, that this was actually a Beatles song and it didn't suck. But I wouldn't rank it anywhere near this high. Of Paul's mellow White Album songs, Martha and your next entry tower over the rest of them.

Blackbird -- I absolutely love this one, and I'm only slightly biased by CSN covering it. 

Eleanor Rigby -- I don't really care for pop songs that are totally dominated by strings/orchestra. You will notice a conspicuous absence or near-absence of these on my Neil list -- and he did in fact have a few. So to me this is pleasant but not one of the all-time greats. 

Oh no. I would have had a heart attack if I’d been around to see Tomorrow Never Knows thrown out at 45. On most days my #1 is that or While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I took it in the desert island draft my other sports/music geek board did a few years ago. 

To me it combines the best elements of Eastern and Western music. 

I’m also a huge fan of I Feel Fine, especially when played back to back with She’s a Woman, but given everything else in the arsenal, I dunno if I would have ranked it much higher than you did.
I think I Feel Fine would be more significantly (favorably) distinguished from Day Tripper in a re-ranking.  For some reason I always have thought of those together.

Am I blind? It looks like your original writeups of 44 to 36 are missing. All I see is Orton's reactions and your reactions to his reactions.

Anyway, a few comments on those:

I am the Walrus -- It's fun but I don't take it too seriously. 

Love love love -- Too much hippie, though it was fun to see Paul Weller cover this -- I've only seen him once and he ended his show with it. 

Day Tripper -- One of the greatest riffs ever. 

I Saw Her Standing There -- The lyrics have not aged well either, but I see this as different from You're 16 because it's written from the perspective of someone who is not that much older than 17. Other than the opening line, it's standard teenagers-in-lust stuff that people wrote about all the time back then. Whereas You're 16 is written from a Sugar Daddy perspective (at best) and the lyrics imply possession. It's beyond icky. Musically, ISHST is one of my favorites from the early Beatles (pre-Help). 

Hey Bulldog -- My other sports/music geek site has done two Beatles song drafts. I was not in the first (which was Beatles releases only) but was in the second (which was group and solo songs). In the first one, a guy who was a friend of one of the regulars and joined the site only for the draft had the first overall pick. Knowing nothing about VBD or scarcity, his first pick was his favorite song -- Hey Bulldog. It became a running joke there for years. I like the percussive piano, Paul's bass and John's vocal on this one.

I'm Looking Through You -- I just can't deal with the sudden gruff in Paul's voice at the end of each verse. It sounds like he's trying too hard to be tough. 

Mother Nature's Son -- The first version I ever heard was John Denver's, and as you might expect it's godawful. I was pleasantly surprised to discover, upon my first listen to the White Album, that this was actually a Beatles song and it didn't suck. But I wouldn't rank it anywhere near this high. Of Paul's mellow White Album songs, Martha and your next entry tower over the rest of them.

Blackbird -- I absolutely love this one, and I'm only slightly biased by CSN covering it. 

Eleanor Rigby -- I don't really care for pop songs that are totally dominated by strings/orchestra. You will notice a conspicuous absence or near-absence of these on my Neil list -- and he did in fact have a few. So to me this is pleasant but not one of the all-time greats. 
I don't know where those would be.  Did you try to link to them from my first post?  I put the links to the write-ups in there.

I just went to the first post and hit the links and everything seemed to work.  Whew.

Anyway, it reminded me that I had forgotten to link to I Saw Her Standing There for @Bracie Smathers.  I didn't go through to review the whole discussion as I don't have time, but it begins here in terms of the creepiness...I think.  

I don't know where those would be.  Did you try to link to them from my first post?  I put the links to the write-ups in there.
Got it. 

I was on page 61 and your full write-ups of Walrus through Eleanor don't start until page 63. Yet on 61, Orton commented on each of these and you responded to him. Very confusing. Anyway, I know how to navigate it now. 

Got it. 

I was on page 61 and your full write-ups of Walrus through Eleanor don't start until page 63. Yet on 61, Orton commented on each of these and you responded to him. Very confusing. Anyway, I know how to navigate it now. 
Oh!  That was when I got mad and just posted some songs without write-ups.  But then I relented/calmed down and did the write-ups after all.  :)

Here is what I did in the Beatles/solo Beatles song draft I mentioned. This was in 2015. None of it should surprise you given what I’ve said about my preferences so far, except maybe toward the end when the solo material started going.

1.3 Tomorrow Never Knows (While My Guitar was still on the board and I AGONIZED over this)

2.8 I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

3.3 Get Back

4.8 Taxman

5.3 With a Little Help from My Friends

6.8 If I Needed Someone 

7.3 She’s a Woman

8.8 monkey monkey song

9.3 Martha My Dear

10.8 I’m Down

11.3 The Word

12.8 Jet

13.3 #9 Dream

14.8 Let it Down

15.3 I Want to Tell You

Here is what I did in the Beatles/solo Beatles song draft I mentioned. This was in 2015. None of it should surprise you given what I’ve said about my preferences so far, except maybe toward the end when the solo material started going.

1.3 Tomorrow Never Knows (While My Guitar was still on the board and I AGONIZED over this)

2.8 I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

3.3 Get Back

4.8 Taxman

5.3 With a Little Help from My Friends

6.8 If I Needed Someone 

7.3 She’s a Woman

8.8 monkey monkey song

9.3 Martha My Dear

10.8 I’m Down

11.3 The Word

12.8 Jet

13.3 #9 Dream

14.8 Let it Down

15.3 I Want to Tell You
I don't know the group you drafted with but am not sure this is VBD.  ;)   

Although maybe it was if you could get Jet (top-ish tier post-Beatles Paul IMO)  in the 12th round.  I think your interesting picks are #9 Dream and Let It Down.  I'm a big fan of #9 Dream, too, but know a lot of people aren't.  I"d love to see the full draft!  I can tell you right now the post-Beatles picks will not in any way approximate where mine will go.  :)  

I say non-VBD in part because I'd think you could take Guitar in the first and still get Tomorrow Never Knows in the second, but who knows.  Depends on number of drafters, too.

I currently have "Jet" in the top 12 of my Paul post-Beatles, but not sure where it will fall in that tier nor overall, but late 12th seems great value in any case.  

I currently have "Jet" in the top 12 of my Paul post-Beatles, but not sure where it will fall in that tier nor overall, but late 12th seems great value in any case.  
The solo stuff didn’t start going until the 10th round or so. I would have preferred Band on the Run but someone beat me to it. Love Jet, though.

I say non-VBD in part because I'd think you could take Guitar in the first and still get Tomorrow Never Knows in the second, but who knows.  Depends on number of drafters, too.
There were 10 of us. Most of them were big on mid and late Beatles and most of them had seen me pick TNN in the desert island draft we had done earlier so I didn’t think either was going to make it back to me. Especially since the guy in the slot right after me has very similar tastes to mine. While My Guitar went with the very next pick. 

I'd love to see the full draft!  I can tell you right now the post-Beatles picks will not in any way approximate where mine will go.  :)  
Here you go:

DMT -- 1.01 -- A Day in the Life
ElDiablo -- 1.02 -- Hey Jude
Pip -- 1.03 -- Tomorrow Never Knows
Sheep -- 1.04 -- While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Revo -- 1.05 -- I Am the Walrus
Lucky -- 1.06 -- Let It Be
TheGaffer -- 1.07 -- Here Comes the Sun
Johnny -- 1.08 -- Something
Swampdragon -- 1.09 -- Ticket to Ride
Mith --1.10 -- I Want to Hold Your Hand
Mith -- 2.01 -- Polythene Pam
Swampdragon -- 2.02 -- Blackbird
Johnny -- 2.03 -- Yesterday
The Gaffer -- 2.04 -- Day Tripper
Lucky -- 2.05 -- Paperback Writer
Revo -- 2.06 -- Revolution
Sheep -- 2.07 -- Strawberry Fields Forever
Pip -- 2.08 -- I Want You (She's So Heavy)
ElDiablo -- 2.09 -- Eleanor Rigby
DMT -- 2.10 -- In My Life
DMT -- 3.01 -- Penny Lane
ElDiablo -- 3.02 -- Come Together
Pip -- 3.03 -- Get Back
Sheep -- 3.04 -- Helter Skelter
Revo -- 3.05 -- Help!
Lucky -- 3.06 -- Dear Prudence
TheGaffer -- 3.07 -- (You've Got to) Hide Your Love Away
Johnny -- 3.08 -- Across the Universe
Swampdragon -- 3.09 -- Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Mith --3.10 -- And Your Bird Can Sing
Mith -- 4.01 -- You Never Give Me Your Money
Swampdragon -- 4.02 -- The End
Johnny -- 4.03 -- Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
The Gaffer -- 4.04 -- She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Lucky -- 4.05 -- Maybe I'm Amazed
Revo -- 4.06 -- Hey Bulldog
Sheep -- 4.07 -- Rain
Pip -- 4.08 -- Taxman
ElDiablo -- 4.09 -- Happiness Is a Warm Gun
DMT -- 4.10 -- A Hard Day's Night
DMT -- 5.01 -- I Should Have Known Better
ElDiablo -- 5.02 -- All You Need Is Love
Pip -- 5.03 -- With a Little Help from My Friends
Sheep -- 5.04 -- We Can Work It Out
Revo -- 5.05 -- I've Got a Feeling
Lucky -- 5.06 -- Can't Buy Me Love
TheGaffer -- 5.07 -- Savoy Truffle
Johnny -- 5.08 -- I Saw Her Standing There
Swampdragon -- 5.09 -- It Won't Be Long
Mith -- 5.10 -- Drive My Car
Mith -- 6.01 -- I Feel Fine
Swampdragon -- 6.02 -- Back in the USSR
Johnny -- 6.03 -- Working Class Hero
The Gaffer -- 6.04 -- Nowhere Man
Lucky -- 6.05 -- All Things Must Pass
Revo -- 6.06 -- What Is Life
Sheep -- 6.07 -- Hello Goodbye
Pip -- 6.08 -- If I Needed Someone
ElDiablo -- 6.09 -- Golden Slumbers
DMT -- 6.10 -- Please Please Me
DMT -- 7.01 -- Two of Us
ElDiablo -- 7.02 -- Oh! Darling
Pip -- 7.03 -- She's a Woman
Sheep -- 7.04 -- Got to Get You into My Life
Revo -- 7.05 -- The Long and Winding Road
Lucky -- 7.06 -- Instant Karma (We All Shine On)
TheGaffer -- 7.07 -- My Sweet Lord
Johnny -- 7.08 -- I'm Only Sleeping
Swampdragon -- 7.09 -- Live and Let Die
Mith -- 7.10 -- She Said She Said
Mith -- 8.01 -- I'm Looking Through You
Swampdragon -- 8.02 -- She Loves You
Johnny -- 8.03 -- And I Love Her
The Gaffer -- 8.04 -- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Lucky -- 8.05 -- It Don't Come Easy
Revo -- 8.06 -- Band on the Run
Sheep -- 8.07 -- You Won't See Me
Pip -- 8.08 -- Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
ElDiablo -- 8.09 -- Michele
DMT -- 8.10 -- Lady Madonna
DMT -- 9.01 -- Because
ElDiablo -- 9.02 -- The Night Before
Pip -- 9.03 -- Martha My Dear
Sheep -- 9.04 -- Don't Let Me Down
Revo -- 9.05 -- Mean Mr. Mustard
Lucky -- 9.06 -- Love Me Do
TheGaffer -- 9.07 -- You're Gonna Lose That Girl
Johnny -- 9.08 -- Fool on the Hill
Swampdragon -- 9.09 -- Boys
Mith -- 9.10 -- Anytime at All
Mith -- 10.01 -- Good Day Sunshine
Swampdragon -- 10.02 -- Handle with Care
Johnny -- 10.03 -- From Me to You
The Gaffer -- 10.04 -- Carry That Weight
Lucky -- 10.05 -- Isn't It a Pity
Revo -- 10.06 -- Your Mother Should Know
Sheep -- 10.07 -- I'll Follow the Sun
Pip -- 10.08 -- I'm Down
ElDiablo -- 10.09 -- Imagine
DMT -- 10.10 -- Here, There and Everywhere
DMT -- 11.01 -- No Reply
ElDiablo -- 11.02 -- Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Pip -- 11.03 -- The Word
Sheep -- 11.04 -- Revolution #1
Revo -- 11.05 -- The Ballad of John & Yoko
Lucky -- 11.06 -- Let Me Roll It
TheGaffer -- 11.07 -- Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
Johnny -- 11.08 -- If I Fell
Swampdragon -- 11.09 -- Money (That's What I Want)
Mith -- 11.10 -- Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Mith -- 12.01 -- Think for Yourself
Swampdragon -- 12.02 -- Twist and Shout
Johnny -- 12.03 -- Magical Mystery Tour
The Gaffer -- 12.04 -- End of the Line
Lucky -- 12.05 -- Eight Days a Week
Revo -- 12.06 -- Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)
Sheep -- 12.07 -- Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
Pip -- 12.08 -- Jet
ElDiablo -- 12.09 -- Lovely Rita
DMT -- 12.10 -- I'm So Tired
DMT -- 13.01 -- For No One
ElDiablo -- 13.02 -- Cry Baby Cry
Pip -- 13.03 -- #9 Dream
Sheep -- 13.04 -- Sun King
Revo -- 13.05 -- The No-No Song
Lucky -- 13.06 -- Old Brown Shoe
TheGaffer -- 13.07 -- When I'm 64
Johnny -- 13.08 -- Girl
Swampdragon -- 13.09 -- What's That You're Doing?
Mith -- 13.10 -- Getting Better
Mith -- 14.01 -- Good Morning Good Morning
Swampdragon -- 14.02 -- Please Mr. Postman
Johnny -- 14.03 -- Jealous Guy
The Gaffer -- 14.04 -- Rock and Roll Music
Lucky -- 14.05 -- Mother Nature's Son
Revo -- 14.06 -- Whatever Gets You Through the Night
Sheep -- 14.07 -- Photograph
Pip -- 14.08 -- Let It Down
ElDiablo -- 14.09 -- Fixing a Hole
DMT -- 14.10 -- Grow Old with Me
DMT -- 15.01 -- Love You To
ElDiablo -- 15.02 -- Baby You're a Rich Man
Pip -- 15.03 -- I Want to Tell You
Sheep -- 15.04 -- Sexy Sadie
Revo -- 15.05 -- Back Off Boogaloo
Lucky -- 15.06 -- Beware of Darkness
TheGaffer -- 15.07 -- All My Loving
Johnny -- 15.08 -- (Just Like) Starting Over
Swampdragon -- 15.09 -- Veronica
Mith -- 15.10 -- Octopus's Garden

Lucky -- 4.05 -- Maybe I'm Amazed
Johnny -- 6.03 -- Working Class Hero
Lucky -- 6.05 -- All Things Must Pass
Revo -- 6.06 -- What Is Life
Lucky -- 7.06 -- Instant Karma (We All Shine On)
TheGaffer -- 7.07 -- My Sweet Lord
Swampdragon -- 7.09 -- Live and Let Die
Lucky -- 8.05 -- It Don't Come Easy
Revo -- 8.06 -- Band on the Run
Swampdragon -- 10.02 -- Handle with Care
Lucky -- 10.05 -- Isn't It a Pity
ElDiablo -- 10.09 -- Imagine
Lucky -- 11.06 -- Let Me Roll It
The Gaffer -- 12.04 -- End of the Line
Revo -- 12.06 -- Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)
Sheep -- 12.07 -- Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
Pip -- 12.08 -- Jet
Pip -- 13.03 -- #9 Dream:
Revo -- 13.05 -- The No-No Song
Swampdragon -- 13.09 -- What's That You're Doing?
Johnny -- 14.03 -- Jealous Guy
Revo -- 14.06 -- Whatever Gets You Through the Night
Sheep -- 14.07 -- Photograph
Pip -- 14.08 -- Let It Down
DMT -- 14.10 -- Grow Old with Me
Revo -- 15.05 -- Back Off Boogaloo
Lucky -- 15.06 -- Beware of Darkness
Johnny -- 15.08 -- (Just Like) Starting Over
Swampdragon -- 15.09 -- Veronica
OK, I think I've isolated the non-Beatles selections here.  Looks like they started to kick in in earnest in Round 6 for a couple of rounds, then die down until Round 10 when they picked up again.  Some observations - these observations on based on where these songs are generally rated, not my ratings at all:

1.  No surprise that the Rounds 4-7 ones would be snapped up early, except for one glaring exception:  Working Class Hero.  That is shocking.  Instant Karma maybe a little surprise to go as the second John song, too.

2.  Then things go in a somewhat generally expected order except for End of the Line, which stands out as a surprise in VBD.  Actually two Traveling Wilburys songs going with all that's out there is a surprise.

3.  With so many songs available, Back Off Boogaloo being drafted at all is a shock.  

4.  Most shocking omission to me is Watching the Wheels.  Other than that, about a billion Paul/Wings songs that are pretty popular, such as Helen Wheels, Junior's Farm, Another Day, and some of the shlockier stuff.  

5.  Is Veronica meant to be the Elvis Costello song?  Just because Paul co-wrote it?  Seems a bit stretch.  I won't be considering it for my countdown (even though I love that song).

6.  I like this "Lucky" guy.  Took a ton of post-Beatles obviously seeing the value there vs. the third-rate Beatles stuff that might have been available at that point.  And he/she chose several that are top-tier in my list.

Update on my process:

Paul - I've finalized my list of what will be on the countdown, and I've ordered them into 11 preliminary tiers.  I listen to my "Paul" playlist while getting in a lot of walking (15 miles today!) but then get home and forget what I wanted to say about them.  :cry:   But anyway, getting close to an initial ranking, and then I'll keep listening and moving them around forever.

George - Ended up with ~95 songs that made the first cut, and I've been listening on shuffle to make some second-cut decisions.  Still a lot to make through the second round, then a third round, then I'll start putting them in tiers.

I decided I needed a break from Paul and George today, because they take sooooo much work and sooooo much thinking.  So, you guessed it, I started listening to Ringo albums.  John's output will be the last to get the first close listen.

I'm going to put together final lists for each individual before I then weave them together one by one.

OK, I think I've isolated the non-Beatles selections here.  Looks like they started to kick in in earnest in Round 6 for a couple of rounds, then die down until Round 10 when they picked up again.  Some observations - these observations on based on where these songs are generally rated, not my ratings at all:

1.  No surprise that the Rounds 4-7 ones would be snapped up early, except for one glaring exception:  Working Class Hero.  That is shocking.  Instant Karma maybe a little surprise to go as the second John song, too.

2.  Then things go in a somewhat generally expected order except for End of the Line, which stands out as a surprise in VBD.  Actually two Traveling Wilburys songs going with all that's out there is a surprise.

3.  With so many songs available, Back Off Boogaloo being drafted at all is a shock.  

4.  Most shocking omission to me is Watching the Wheels.  Other than that, about a billion Paul/Wings songs that are pretty popular, such as Helen Wheels, Junior's Farm, Another Day, and some of the shlockier stuff.  

5.  Is Veronica meant to be the Elvis Costello song?  Just because Paul co-wrote it?  Seems a bit stretch.  I won't be considering it for my countdown (even though I love that song).
This is a very pro-Wilburys crowd. They came up when we did Dylan and Petty drafts as well. 

The solo songs I wanted the most were any of the big three from All Things Must Pass (MSL, WIL, title track) and It Don't Come Easy, but they all went off the board way before I was prepared to take any solo stuff. I didn't worry about Paul because his solo catalog is so deep. Depending on what day it is, #9 Dream is sometimes my favorite John solo song, and I figured I could get it late, which turned out to be right. 

Veronica was the next-to-last pick in the draft and I don't think anyone had the energy to argue whether it was eligible or not. 

krista4 said:
6.  I like this "Lucky" guy.  Took a ton of post-Beatles obviously seeing the value there vs. the third-rate Beatles stuff that might have been available at that point.  And he/she chose several that are top-tier in my list.
Once I saw that he chose It Don’t Come Easy, he was destined to be a krista favorite. ;)

krista4 said:
He's a very interesting dude. Gotta be in his early 60s by now. For many years he was a judge, and played bass in a bar band. 

Helter Skelter Is a big one for me and made my 90-minute cassette. This should not be a surprise given what I’ve posted here and in the jukebox draft and Neil threads.

I’m Only Sleeping is also a big one for me, which might come as more of a surprise. There’s really nothing else like it in their catalog. 

Helter Skelter Is a big one for me and made my 90-minute cassette. This should not be a surprise given what I’ve posted here and in the jukebox draft and Neil threads.

I’m Only Sleeping is also a big one for me, which might come as more of a surprise. There’s really nothing else like it in their catalog. 
You made it to the top 25!  :excited:  

Guitar Gently Weeps has been revealed and my top 2 are nowhere near your top 2. 😞

People were arguing She Loves You vs I Want to Hold Your Hand? Weird hill to die on.

I never thought You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away was particularly special from a Beatles-song perspective until I heard Eddie Vedder’s version. Does that make me a bad person?

To whoever it was that is flute-intolerant: If you can’t enjoy Chris Wood’s flute solo in Traffic’s “Freedom Rider,” you have no soul.

Users who are viewing this thread