What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (6 Viewers)

Some of us geezers around here may also remember the Beatles cartoons from the mid '60s. I remember watching reruns as a little kid.
I had a tee-shirt of the cartoon Beatles I used to wear all of the time - I miss it now!!!!  I liked the cartoon but the Beatles didn't.    

Supposedly the Beatles were not fans of the cartoon due to it's poor animation and were concerned about the Yellow Submarine movie until they met with Al Brodax and was assured it would be of higher quality.     At that point the Beatles were anxious to get out of the three-film deal they had made with United Artists and that Yellow Submarine would fulfill their contract.  Just to be sure they added a short live-action segment at the end of the movie so UA couldn't claim that they didn't appear in the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
krista4 said:
There's a snippet of an interview with Paul that I've heard on the Beatles channel a few times where he describes a conversation with one of the Rolling Stones - Mick or Keith, I can't remember - and whoever it was commented how lucky the Beatles had been to have four front men, whereas the Stones had only one.  That live clip above shows that, I think.   :)  
Hey man, Keith sang nearly as many songs as Ringo and George.

krista4 said:
143.  Boys (Please Please Me, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Pure joy.  I'm not going to do a big write-up here.  Enjoy this live performance with me, and you'll see why I love this one.  Ringo's head shakes...the toss to George at ~1:00 and George's glee...and don't miss John's little kick at ~1:50 that drives the girls wild.

Original Shirelles version

Mr. krista:  "I like it, and I like the Shirelles, too. And Ringo is a great singer for a song like that.  It’s a jam."
Vocally one of Ringos very best. It really “fits” him

Most of what they did was so ground breaking, and easy for other musicians to consume and learn from, hence the blowing wide open of the rock & roll genre of course, right after they hit the scene. And people haven't even been shy about it, "Yeah I was ####### around, heard the Beatles in 1964 and suddenly writing songs seemed easier" is a pretty familiar refrain (I ran into a lot of this in the punk draft). And Ringo is part of that, his drumming paved the way, just insanely creative and versatile like the rest of the band. Stating the obvious I guess but just my 2p.. Ringo rules the roost 🥁 ✌️ ✌️

Come on y'all, While Krista is dealing with downtime, what is your prediction for her #1? 

Before this thread I never gave the slightest thought to ranking the Beatles tunes, but here we are. I still think Something and She Said She Said are my favorite contenders.

While we're killing time, my all-time favorite Beatles tune is I've just Seen a Face.
I’ll go with Paperback Writer

My personal favorite Beatles song is I’ve Got A Feeling. 

Come on y'all, While Krista is dealing with downtime, what is your prediction for her #1? 

Before this thread I never gave the slightest thought to ranking the Beatles tunes, but here we are. I still think Something and She Said She Said are my favorite contenders.

While we're killing time, my all-time favorite Beatles tune is I've just Seen a Face.
A Day in the Life is an obvious guess but I’ll go with the only slightly less obvious Hey Jude. I bet the second portion, with Paul’s vocal riffing, really gets her.

A Day in the Life is an obvious guess but I’ll go with the only slightly less obvious Hey Jude. I bet the second portion, with Paul’s vocal riffing, really gets her.
I'm leaning Krista leans on perfectly crafted songs, which makes A Day in the Life a strong contender for top 10, all things considered.

I’ll go with Paperback Writer

My personal favorite Beatles song is I’ve Got A Feeling. 

:popcorn:

Sorry for being MIA today.  My already crappy travel across the country was made worse by hours-long delays.  Finally made it to Louisville and am beat.  I'm loving these guesses, though.  I'll mention that my first post (I think it was that one) said that I think A Day in the Life is the best Beatles song but it is not my #1; I would not expect anyone to have read that novel-length post, though.

tim, why is I've Got A Feeling your favorite tune?  It's an interesting choice.  Obviously I love the song since it hasn't been posted yet, but I am surprised by that as I rarely hear people talking about that one.  

pecorino, is A Day in the Life your favorite?

tim, why is I've Got A Feeling your favorite tune?  It's an interesting choice.  Obviously I love the song since it hasn't been posted yet, but I am surprised by that as I rarely hear people talking about that one.  
First off I love the guitar riff. Second, it’s one of those rare late Beatles tunes in which both Paul and John sing a portion. Finally, it reminds me of my late brother, who died of cancer about 4 years ago now. We had very different musical tastes but we both happened to love that song. 

First off I love the guitar riff. Second, it’s one of those rare late Beatles tunes in which both Paul and John sing a portion. Finally, it reminds me of my late brother, who died of cancer about 4 years ago now. We had very different musical tastes but we both happened to love that song. 
Sorry for your loss, Tim.   I've got one brother and I could not imagine losing him.

My guess for the krista #1 would be "In My Life".

pecorino, is A Day in the Life your favorite?
I suppose it would be tops for me. My wheelhouse is 70s progressive music and it has two “movements” which is appealing. Really love the piano coming in at the beginning of the second section. Just a perfectly crafted song. I’ve grown to really enjoy “I Want You (She’s so Heavy)” but it’s simple when stacked up against A Day in the Life. I guess if you give me the whole Abbey Road suite as a unit that would be my #1, but I don’t personally reckon it that way since the songs are individually named. In short, I don’t know how you were able to do this ranking. I’d spin my wheels endlessly.

pecorino said:
I suppose it would be tops for me. My wheelhouse is 70s progressive music and it has two “movements” which is appealing. Really love the piano coming in at the beginning of the second section. Just a perfectly crafted song. I’ve grown to really enjoy “I Want You (She’s so Heavy)” but it’s simple when stacked up against A Day in the Life. I guess if you give me the whole Abbey Road suite as a unit that would be my #1, but I don’t personally reckon it that way since the songs are individually named. In short, I don’t know how you were able to do this ranking. I’d spin my wheels endlessly.
I’m ranking the Abbey Road medley as a whole here, though within that ranking I’ll also rank the snippets individually.

I'm going to post one before spending the rest of the day cleaning out my Grandpa's place.   :(

141.  Hello, Goodbye (single, 1967)

Paul's song about duality, and he said, unsurprisingly, that it was meant to advocate for the positive side of duality.  Sunny, cheery Paul.  He even used "ebony ivory" as one of the dualities in an interview about the song.  Hmmmm...ebony and ivory...where have I heard that?  

My favorite parts of this song are the violas and the coda, which was nicknamed the "Maori Finale."  Overall the song all feels too slight for my taste, and despite Paul trying to make a substantive statement with the lyrics they fall flat for me.  I don't have much to say about this one - nice melody and an interesting ending, but not enough to get ranked higher.

Mr. krista:  "It’s a good song that seems totally trivial. I mean, so cheesy."

Suggested cover:  The Cure

I'm going to post one before spending the rest of the day cleaning out my Grandpa's place.   :(

142.  Hello, Goodbye (single, 1967)

Paul's song about duality, and he said, unsurprisingly, that it was meant to advocate for the positive side of duality.  Sunny, cheery Paul.  He even used "ebony ivory" as one of the dualities in an interview about the song.  Hmmmm...ebony and ivory...where have I heard that?  

My favorite parts of this song are the violas and the coda, which was nicknamed the "Maori Finale."  Overall the song all feels too slight for my taste, and despite Paul trying to make a substantive statement with the lyrics they fall flat for me.  I don't have much to say about this one - nice melody and an interesting ending, but not enough to get ranked higher.

You really need the hula girls for this one...

Ringo loving it. lol 

This song is at least in my top 50.

timschochet said:
It's my second favorite Beatles song (a large part because I do love the Paul and John vocal trade off) behind Here Comes the Sun.

And while you've mentioned your brother before in other music threads, as always sorry for your loss and fond memories are always a great reason to love a song.

I think this is a song that is ranked perfectly.  Catchy melody, nothing earth-shattering.  My appreciation for it certainly grew from playing Beatles Rock Band on the Wii with my kids.  This one was one of their most frequent picks to play.  

Mister CIA said:

I'll guess Taxman

Mine is In My Life, with Helter Skelter & Day in the Life filling my top 3

Can't listen to this anymore, but has nothing to do w Beatles. For this entire decade, i've been writing a movie musical about Alice grownup in the ultimate Wonderland, New York City. Successful businesswoman with inadequate lovelife has a wine&Ambien dream after a promising date with an unpromising man and her romantic history is played out through the Wonderland characters in a dream which, like Christmas Carol does for Scrooge, helps Alice with her romantic resolve.

One of the most important numbers is when she falls down the rabbit hole (elevator shaft in my update) and, as she waltzes thru the updrafts to her dreamdoom, she sings goodbye to her life. I was pretty new to songwriting then and was more concerned with the melody, but ScrambledEgged "Hello, Goodbye" to establish the cadence of the lyric and couldnt lose it. Turned out to be the best possible title/approach. I know its been 50 yrs since the original, but i cant stop arguing with myself about it.

When I hear this song, from now til eternity, I'll always think of my son at age 4-5 asking to watch the video of Hello Goodbye over and over on my parents' computer (which was like a 9 year old desktop with dial up level speed).

This experience taught me a few things:

1.   My son is as OCD as me, because he didn't mind hearing the same song 10 times in a row (and still is that way)

2.  He's gifted at hearing harmony and even then would randomly sing atypical harmonies in many songs, especially Beatles and Beach Boys

3.   Never ask your 70 year old parents "what is your WiFi password?" because the odds are very high they have no clue what those words even mean.

4.   Even I'm capable of getting sick of a Beatles song eventually, because I really struggle to sit through that whole song today......after hearing it like 150 times over Xmas vacation in the winter of 2013-14.

Mister CIA said:

My prediction for her #1 is Got To Get You Into My Life

My favorite is Here Comes the Sun followed by I've Got a Feeling and Things We Said Today

You started this one with that first sentence so that we couldn't make fun of you for putting this so low.  It's ok.  I get it.

Meanwhile, it would be at this point in the evening, having shared a find bourbon with Mr. Krista, that I would get up and refill my glass, not because I really needed another one at the moment, but because I needed to stop looking at him drinking my bourbon while saying something so cold and mean.  Does he kick puppies too?

You started this one with that first sentence so that we couldn't make fun of you for putting this so low.  It's ok.  I get it.

Meanwhile, it would be at this point in the evening, having shared a find bourbon with Mr. Krista, that I would get up and refill my glass, not because I really needed another one at the moment, but because I needed to stop looking at him drinking my bourbon while saying something so cold and mean.  Does he kick puppies too?
Unfortunately, and perhaps this will get me even more credits to use in the future, but I’m not drinking bourbon. After spending all day going through my Grandpa’s stuff, we went to the attorney’s office to talk through process, and while in there someone busted my rental car window and stole my mom’s purse!

btw, the attorney’s office is across the street from the police station.

Unfortunately, and perhaps this will get me even more credits to use in the future, but I’m not drinking bourbon. After spending all day going through my Grandpa’s stuff, we went to the attorney’s office to talk through process, and while in there someone busted my rental car window and stole my mom’s purse!

(The discussion about “why did you leave that in the car has been postponed indefinitely.)  

btw, the attorney’s office is across the street from the police station.
Well aren't I just a putz....

It turns out my mom had taken most stuff out of that bag, so the scumbags will be enjoying a car charger, a list of all the stuff she needed to do for the funeral/estate, and my Grandpa’s Bible. Maybe they’ll put that last one to use. ;)  

So not as bad as originally thought.  Dealing with the busted up rental is the bad part.

ETA:  Oops, also a list of all of her online usernames and passwords.  Now we’re drinking and resetting all her accounts.

I need a distraction.

140.  I'll Be Back (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

Damn beautiful.  Those three-part harmonies...swoon.  I love this structure that has no chorus but two different bridges, and a constant change between major and minor.  Are the major/minor changes meant to represent the waffling feel of the lyrics, such as:

You know, if you break my heart I'll go
But I'll be back again
'Cause I told you once before goodbye
But I came back again

The song is weird and complex and mesmerizing to me.  I'd say 99+% of people who say "I like the Beatles" don't know this song...that just tells you how great they were, for this to be such a forgotten song for them.

Mr. krista:  "That’s a weird song to end that album on.  Songs like that are probably the reason the Beatles are the most popular band of all time.  Those harmonies are so tight.  They have to harmonize and end on all those long vowel sounds.  Maybe it’s just not in my rock wheelhouse.  Oh, you have to harmonize, not just shout and spit."

Suggested cover:  This entire endeavor has been worth it to find this cover, which I hadn't previously heard:  Elliott Smith  Also if you like lady singers, Shawn Colvin

John didn't think much of "Hello Goodbye" and was pushing "I Am the Walrus" as the A-side but was vetoed by Paul and George Martin.    

A random thought I can’t shake is that it’s going to be You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away. I’m not even sure it’s top 20 for me but it’s like John is speaking to me from beyond. That is of course unless it’s already been eliminated and I missed it. 

I need a distraction.

141.  I'll Be Back (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

Damn beautiful.  Those three-part harmonies...swoon.  I love this structure that has no chorus but two different bridges, and a constant change between major and minor.  Are the major/minor changes meant to represent the waffling feel of the lyrics, such as:

You know, if you break my heart I'll go
But I'll be back again
'Cause I told you once before goodbye
But I came back again

The song is weird and complex and mesmerizing to me.  I'd say 99+% of people who say "I like the Beatles" don't know this song...that just tells you how great they were, for this to be such a forgotten song for them.

Mr. krista:  "That’s a weird song to end that album on.  Songs like that are probably the reason the Beatles are the most popular band of all time.  Those harmonies are so tight.  They have to harmonize and end on all those long vowel sounds.  Maybe it’s just not in my rock wheelhouse.  Oh, you have to harmonize, not just shout and spit."

Suggested cover:  This entire endeavor has been worth it to find this cover, which I hadn't previously heard:  Elliott Smith  Also if you like lady singers, Shawn Colvin
Another Top 50 for me. Would be way higher for sure. Those harmonies are heaven-sent.

Users who are viewing this thread