Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.


krista4

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, krista4 said:

Wait, I don't know if this was your edit, but you can still choose something that another person has taken.  I think In My Life, the Abbey Road medley, and A Day in the Life have been taken more than once...maybe others, too.

Nah, I like to be unique.  What I originally wrote was that In My Life is my mom's favorite Beatles song, so it has a special place for me.  Before you get to your top-50, I'll post my top-10.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love "She's Leaving Home".  Truly haunting, and that's without really thinking that the home life situation being discussed is really anything more than a typical teenager-parent relationship.  

My guess for #1, since I'm late to the game, is "Hey Bulldog."  Why not.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, krista4 said:

All right, all right.  :lol:  Though apparently "Bezos" is an insult to many in the FFA?

I'm going to do something more for the runners-up, in addition to the "winner(s)."  Maybe something for anyone who hits the top 10 (or the top 12 in the top 10).  

 

Here's what I have so far; please let me know of any corrections or omissions:

simey – Abbey Road medley

Mister CIA – She Said She Said

timschochet – Paperback Writer

pecorino – Hey Jude

Binky the Doormat – In My Life

wikkidpissah – Taxman

Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life

Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride

Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be

Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby

Spock – Rain

Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life

rockaction  - A Day in the Life

Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life

shuke – Abbey Road medley

Alex P Keaton - Something

 

In total, you guys have named four in my top 10.  :) 

 

I will take a crack although there is a good chance it was already taken- Norwegian Wood

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no rule that you can't take the same thing - this isn't a draft!  :rant: 

 

Updated list:

simey – Abbey Road medley

Mister CIA – She Said She Said

timschochet – Paperback Writer

pecorino – Hey Jude

Binky the Doormat – In My Life

wikkidpissah – Taxman

Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life

Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride

Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be

Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby

Spock – Rain

Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life

rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life

shuke – Abbey Road medley

Alex P Keaton – Something

Getzlaf15 – Helter Skelter

zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps

neal cassady – I Am the Walrus

Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog

Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Nah, I like to be unique.  What I originally wrote was that In My Life is my mom's favorite Beatles song, so it has a special place for me.  Before you get to your top-50, I'll post my top-10.

:popcorn:

I'm eager to see others' top 10s or 50s or 204s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, krista4 said:

This is fun.  I’d like to donate a bit more.  Either going to come up with another guessing contest or expand the number of winners on this one...hmmm...

I'll take Revolver + the Paperback Writer/Rain single (part of the Revolver sessions) against the field for $100 to charity. Takers?

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, krista4 said:

I'm going to try to sneak this in while you guys are in bed...  :oldunsure: 

133.  She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

 

Placed about right, but it's a much more necessary than excellent song. Lent heart, sweet sadness & tender corniness to the human melange of the Lonely Hearts Club, flushing out the concept.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

132.  Magical Mystery Tour (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

More carnival music, but this one is particularly fun.  The tempo changes are a blast, and I love the bassline, the whooshing bus sounds, and more than anything else the piano coda that trails off into the ether.  I'm not surprised this was recorded a few days after Sgt. Pepper's; it still has the feel of a band pretending to be a different band.  I like to pretend that Paul never said the "dying to take you away" was in reference to the Tibetan Book of the Dead; I prefer to think of this as an amusing carnival barker song with some interesting effects.

Mr. krista:  "What I like best were the tempo changes. Otherwise it seemed like half a song. They knew they were breaking up."

Suggested cover:  Cheap Trick

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, krista4 said:

:popcorn:

I'm eager to see others' top 10s or 50s or 204s.

My top 15:

15. Eleanor Rigby

14. Get Back

13. I Am The Walrus

12. Here, There and Everywhere (My wedding song)

11. Dear Prudence

10. Tomorrow Never Knows

9. Here Comes The Sun

8. Hey Jude

7. Blackbird

6. Let It Be

5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

4. In My Life

3. Happiness is a Warm Gun

2. Abbey Road Medley

1. A Day in the  Life

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, krista4 said:

132.  Magical Mystery Tour (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Suggested cover:  Cheap Trick

I like the horns in the original. I don't really like the production approaches in either version.

Eggheads go and invent stereo and the sound engineers somehow got it into their heads that constraining entire instrument sections to one channel or the other was a good use of the technology. I'm glad they figured it out eventually but it took a few years, during which time some really good songs got messed up such that I don't enjoy listening to them. In particular, putting the whole rhythm section into just one channel makes me cry.

Then there's the late 80's/early 90's production approach on the Cheap Trick track. If @Eephus were here he'd light that thing up.

Even so, it's a good song.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, krista4 said:

132.  Magical Mystery Tour (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

More carnival music, but this one is particularly fun.  The tempo changes are a blast, and I love the bassline, the whooshing bus sounds, and more than anything else the piano coda that trails off into the ether.  I'm not surprised this was recorded a few days after Sgt. Pepper's; it still has the feel of a band pretending to be a different band.  I like to pretend that Paul never said the "dying to take you away" was in reference to the Tibetan Book of the Dead; I prefer to think of this as an amusing carnival barker song with some interesting effects.

Mr. krista:  "What I like best were the tempo changes. Otherwise it seemed like half a song. They knew they were breaking up."

Suggested cover:  Cheap Trick

Excusable in the 2nd hundred only to those who weren't persons when it came out. As i've noted before&before&before, the Sixties were so voluminous & unprecedented that proper & resonant barkering was completely necessary to keeping one's head.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of recording engineers and production values:

131.  Old Brown Shoe (single, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

The b-side to "The Ballad of John and Yoko."  I quite like the song, but it sounds like it was recorded in George's bathtub.  I think I like the George vocal here, if I could hear it.  Somebody pull George out from the men's room!

Mr. krista:  "There’s something evocative about the image of a glass onion, or red wheelbarrow, but old brown shoe?  I don’t care anymore about old brown shoe.  I’m bored just saying the words 'old brown shoe.'  It was like a really fast polka."

Suggested cover:  Gary Brooker - good cover but really missing that "I'm recording while simultaneously scuba diving" vibe.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Speaking of recording engineers and production values:

131.  Old Brown Shoe (single, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

The b-side to "The Ballad of John and Yoko."  I quite like the song, but it sounds like it was recorded in George's bathtub.  I think I like the George vocal here, if I could hear it.  Somebody pull George out from the men's room!

Mr. krista:  "There’s something evocative about the image of a glass onion, or red wheelbarrow, but old brown shoe?  I don’t care anymore about old brown shoe.  I’m bored just saying the words 'old brown shoe.'  It was like a really fast polka."

Suggested cover:  Gary Brooker - good cover but really missing that "I'm recording while simultaneously scuba diving" vibe.

Disappointingly low.   I love this song and everything about it.    Easily in my top-25.  Hell, I was debating it for top-10.  Don't have any issues with it sounding like it was recorded in a tub.   The guitar works for me.    Love the tempo.   Huge fan.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

I like the horns in the original. I don't really like the production approaches in either version.

Eggheads go and invent stereo and the sound engineers somehow got it into their heads that constraining entire instrument sections to one channel or the other was a good use of the technology. I'm glad they figured it out eventually but it took a few years, during which time some really good songs got messed up such that I don't enjoy listening to them. In particular, putting the whole rhythm section into just one channel

I used to work in a place where one of the channels was out and you would only hear half the band on some tracks.

  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spock said:

 

13. I Am The Walrus

11. Dear Prudence

 

My two biggest movers in my rankings.  One of them started off very high for me - I'd always thought it was one of my favorites - but it kept dropping and dropping and more I went through the rankings.  The other of these is one that I used to skip every time it came on and is now very high.

Nice list.  Tomorrow Never Knows is an interesting one; seems pretty love/hate.  Here, There and Everywhere as your wedding song is sweet.  I just (re-)heard the Emmylou Harris cover on the radio last night; you'd better believe that will be one of my recommended covers when we get to that song.

Edited by krista4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Disappointingly low.   I love this song and everything about it.    Easily in my top-25.  Hell, I was debating it for top-10.  Don't have any issues with it sounding like it was recorded in a tub.   The guitar works for me.    Love the tempo.   Huge fan.

Glad to see the song get some love; I rarely hear anyone talk about this one.  Love the guitar work, too.  I can't get over that sound quality, which was a travesty.  I was going to look it up in the Emerick book to see what he had to say for himself, but then realized he didn't record it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, krista4 said:

132.  Magical Mystery Tour (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

More carnival music, but this one is particularly fun.  The tempo changes are a blast, and I love the bassline, the whooshing bus sounds, and more than anything else the piano coda that trails off into the ether.  I'm not surprised this was recorded a few days after Sgt. Pepper's; it still has the feel of a band pretending to be a different band.  I like to pretend that Paul never said the "dying to take you away" was in reference to the Tibetan Book of the Dead; I prefer to think of this as an amusing carnival barker song with some interesting effects.

Mr. krista:  "What I like best were the tempo changes. Otherwise it seemed like half a song. They knew they were breaking up."

Suggested cover:  Cheap Trick

Like I said earlier, this is and will be my favorite thread ever.   It's pretty amazing how many great songs are on the list already.   Ever since Fool, I've played every song you've listed vs Fool and this is the first song for me that has come close to Fool.  It didn't win though.    Don't like Old Brown Shoe at all. LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Disappointingly low.   I love this song and everything about it.    Easily in my top-25.  Hell, I was debating it for top-10.  Don't have any issues with it sounding like it was recorded in a tub.   The guitar works for me.    Love the tempo.   Huge fan.

 

1 hour ago, Getzlaf15 said:

 Don't like Old Brown Shoe at all. 

This is about how I expected the thread to go.

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

I'll take Revolver + the Paperback Writer/Rain single (part of the Revolver sessions) against the field for $100 to charity. Takers?

Buehler?

6 hours ago, krista4 said:

Speaking of recording engineers and production values:

131.  Old Brown Shoe (single, 1969)

 

Reserving my comments on this for my story on the A-side

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't rank my top 10, 12, or 20; but, here's my tier 1 Beatles songs listed in chronological order, sorta.

  1. You've got to Hide Your Love Away
  2. I've Just Seen a Face ... My personal favorite
  3. Nowhere Man
  4. In My Life
  5. If I Needed Someone
  6. Eleanor Rigby
  7. She Said She Said
  8. And Your Bird Can Sing
  9. A Day in the Life
  10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  11. Blackbird
  12. Something
  13. Polythene Pam ... I have no problem filtering this tune out from the medley.  It's nearly punk.
  14. Across the Universe
  15. Let It Be
  16. Get Back
  17. Hey Jude

Tier 2 is fantastic, btw.  Norwegian Wood and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds probably deserve a tier 1 ranking, but on my drive-by listen they paled ever so slightly.  

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, pecorino said:
7 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

I'll take Revolver + the Paperback Writer/Rain single (part of the Revolver sessions) against the field for $100 to charity. Takers?

I’ll take that wager for charity. Good offer.

:popcorn: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2019 at 3:58 PM, krista4 said:

The Background:

I don’t remember exactly when or why I decided to do this, but it’s been rumbling around in my head for a while to put the Beatles song into an order of personal preference.  When I mentioned this in passing in the Beatles thread, a few folks – @Uruk-Hai, @rockaction, @Ilov80s– encouraged me to do it and post it, while @Eephusnotably told me I was crazy to pursue it.  :lmao:

I am a Beatles late adopter.  They were before my time, and I spent my formative musical years shunning them almost entirely, with the belief that the only Beatles song I liked was I Want to Hold Your Hand (hi rockaction!).  There wasn’t a lightning-bolt moment where I changed my mind, but beginning ~20 years ago I started listening to them more and more, influenced in great part by the fact that most of my friends at the time were Chicago musicians who were Beatles obsessives.

As a result, I’m not bringing a wealth of personal stories to this endeavor nor a lifelong base of Beatles knowledge.  There are a ton of posters here with more knowledge of the Beatles and music in general than I have (I'm not tagging them in case they don't want to be associated with my paltry thread), as well as people like @wikkidpissahwho can write a compelling account of a life experience linked to any damn song.  I hope that these folks will participate actively in the discussion.  And that’s what I’m hoping this to be – not (just) a narcissistic listing of personal preferences but an opportunity to discuss my favorite music with lots of smart people with strong opinions.

The Process:

This is not a list of the Beatles songs I think are “best”; it is a rank order of which songs I like the most.   IMO A Day in the Life is the best Beatles song, but it is not my #1 favorite song.

To put together the list, I started by, over the course of months, sitting with Mr. krista at night and listening to the 12 British LPs and one British EP in order from Please Please Me through Abbey Road.  Then we listened to the singles that hadn’t been already covered, most of them collected on Past Masters.  I excluded the German versions as well as Real Love and Free as a Bird, which make me angry.  If I had it to do over, I would have worked the singles in in their correct chronological order instead.

As we listened, I typed up my comments and put the song in an initial tier, 1 through 5.  After the song ended and I had put it in a tier, I asked Mr. krista for his comments and typed those up as well. 

Once all 204-211 songs (more on that later) had been put into one of the five tiers, I then went through each tier and preliminarily ordered the songs within the tiers.  Once all five tiers were done, I meshed the tiers together, sometimes finding that I actually liked a song in a lower tier better than a song in a higher one, so it wasn’t simply adding tier 2 to tier 1, etc.

After I had this initial rank order of all the songs, I put them in a Spotify playlist in that order and then, over the course of the past several months, have listened to the entire playlist numerous times, moving songs around with each listen.  I’d estimate I’ve listened through the entire playlist at least 40 more times, with the middle part getting even more listens.  Mr. krista commented a couple of months ago that he has friends who’ve written novels in less time than I’ve spent on this.

The Result:

What I’ll be posting is not an argument that a particular song is objectively better than another; it’s just what I like best.  When I couldn’t decide on an order, I’d ask myself which song I’d rather hear if I could only hear one of them again for the rest of my life.  I also considered the non-scientific question of “how loud do I turn this up when I comes on the Beatles channel?”  😄 

A few other caveats:

1.      I’m treating the Abbey Road medley as one song for ranking purposes (sorry, Eephus), though I will rank each element of the medley internally within whatever ranking it gets as well.  In other words, if it was my 50th favorite song, I’ll post an internal ranking of 50(a), (b), etc.  With that listed as one song, I ended up with 204 songs ranked in total.  I’ll list them all in the next post.

2.      This is a Ringo-friendly thread, and if you don’t like Ringo, this might not be the thread for you, other threads out there, have a nice season, etc.

3.      Do not fear the sitar!

 

I feel like there a couple of points in this post that have been missed by several people.  :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

130.  Honey Don't (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Since this is the third and final Carl Perkins cover I'll be listing, I think it's high time I posted my favorite Carl-Perkins-related movie scene.  I rank this one the highest of the three primarily for Ringo's charming vocal - no, I'm serious!  He's just oozing charisma and dry humor, and I absolutely adore the two times he throws it over to George with something like "rock on, George, for Ringo one time."  Makes me laugh every time.  And George does rock on for Ringo, obviously having a blast.  If you're not smiling while listening to this one, you're probably dead.

Mr. krista:  "I love this jam.  Even the call out to the guitar.  Music like that is about balls, and apparently Ringo was swinging a pair."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey nerds, talk to me about George Harrison and how his contributions to the Beatles rank in comparison to Lennon and McCartney (and Ringo too, I suppose). In my formative years I pigeonholed him as distinctly and firmly 3rd place, but this thread has given me pause.  His legacy sounds heavy and important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

I can't rank my top 10, 12, or 20; but, here's my tier 1 Beatles songs listed in chronological order, sorta.

If I Needed Someone

 

This one's a bit of a surprise.  Eager to hear your thoughts when we get to it, which will be before we get to the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Hey nerds, talk to me about George Harrison and how his contributions to the Beatles rank in comparison to Lennon and McCartney (and Ringo too, I suppose). In my formative years I pigeonholed him as distinctly and firmly 3rd place, but this thread has given me pause.  His legacy sounds heavy and important.

:popcorn:  I have thoughts but would like to hear this from some of the more knowledgeable folks, too.  I know a few have mentioned in here that George is their favorite.

Edited by krista4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This one's a bit of a surprise.  Eager to hear your thoughts when we get to it, which will be before we get to the rest.

I've got a playlist built in my Google Play of all 204 songs, and tonight I plowed through everything seeking Tier 1 material.  Pretty sure I was a sucker for harmony.

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...