What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (6 Viewers)

pecorino said:
In case anyone is near Pittsburgh, my brother’s band plays gigs every now and then. They are a pretty good Beatles cover band called Eleanor Walrus. https://eleanorwalrus.com/
Good to know. My son is a freshman at Pitt - doubt he’d go unless they were playing at a nearby college bar, but I get out there once in a blue moon so I’ll see if they’re playing then.

pecorino said:
In case anyone is near Pittsburgh, my brother’s band plays gigs every now and then. They are a pretty good Beatles cover band called Eleanor Walrus. https://eleanorwalrus.com/
I would be interested in seeing these guys.  Like I said in an earlier post I don't like tribute bands that pretend to be someone their not.  Just play the music.    I checked out the website but it doesn't look like it is updated much.   One show on Feb 16 but I'm going to be busy.   Any idea on where they are playing in the next couple of months?

Last edited by a moderator:
Toss for me on Krista's fave between three John songs:  Across the Universe, Dear Prudence and In My Life.     Going with Dear Prudence...

I just changed a couple songs on my final guess for K's top 10.  4-10 are in random order. 

1. Abbey Rd. Medley

2. A Day in the Life

3. In My Life

4. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

5. Nowhere Man

6. And Your Bird Can Sing

7. I'm Only Sleeping

8. Happiness is a Warm Gun

9. Across the Universe

10. Rain

That's a lot of John, but I consider Paul the driving force behind the Medley.

He’s working constantly right now and informed me that, other than the Richard Thompson show we’re going to next Tuesday, I won’t see him for two weeks, so I’m not sure he’ll be checking the thread.  What exactly will you guys be dueling about?   :lol:  
Our top-10 lists (should have quoted his instead of just posting it above my comment).  We're polar opposites in terms of what we like and I figured it was better just to skip straight to a trial by combat to determine where the gods stand on this important question.

Strong notebooking. One of the first American bands to have the nerve to cover the Beatles.  The link goes right away to Party!, which as Mister CIA talks about the year, was released in '65. The Beach Boys had such a good year for music that year. Unbelievable. 

Anyway, thanks for the shout-out. Back to the Beatles...
That was awesome.   I liked the cover as much as the original, even though it sounds like The Beach Boys were just messing around.   Really good tune.

krista4 said:
This one's a bit of a surprise.  Eager to hear your thoughts when we get to it, which will be before we get to the rest.
"If I Needed Someone" would also rank highly for me (likely top 10 but maybe top 20?). Oddly enough my love for this song became even stronger when I heard Tom Petty perform it on the Tribute for George DVD concert that my sister got ne for XMas one year. It's just a perfect pop song imo with a great melody.

krista4 said:
4.  I have lists already from @simey, @Mister CIA, and @timschochet.  Any of you can redo your lists right now if you wish, and tim you definitely will wish to since I already spilled the beans on Octopus's Garden.  If I missed anyone else's, let me know.
I'll just list my personal top 10 (as of right now but it constantly changes of course) and if it matches up or not sobeit:

10. Run For Your Life

9. With A Little Help From My Friends

8. Good Day Sunshine

7. Hey Bulldog

6. A Day In The Life

5. Two Of Us

4. The Abbey Road Medley

3. Things We Said Today

2. I've Got a Feeling

1. Here Comes the Sun

krista4 said:
I think George more than any of the others progressed in his musicianship and his songwriting over the years.  In the early stuff, which you can tell by my rankings I love, he was sometimes...not good.  You can hear a lot of flubs in the guitar parts, and I don't think his voice was very developed.  Which song was it that they gave to George because at the time they alleged he could only sing a few notes?  I think it was Do You Wanna Know a Secret.  

Later, as he developed as a guitarist, singer, and songwriter, he still had that reputation within the band of being the "little brother," and he never really shook that despite his increasing prowess.  So he was generally still relegated to his "one song a record" for a while even though he was writing good stuff.  By the way, I don't mean to imply his early songs weren't good - Don't Bother Me was fantastic IMO - just that he really came into his own later.  This is why in my opinion he had the best solo stuff coming out of the gate, because he had such a backlog of great songs.  And though he wasn't a flashy guitarist, he developed a signature style that I personally love.  

ETA:  the Worthy analogy was apt.
George was the real Liverpudlian. Stoic, sardonic counterpuncher. "Sure, go ahead and have your glory bits and flashy scenes, cheeky monkey, and i'll remember and be processing everything you did long after you've forgotten you did it." It's actually kind of a shame that Eastern Philosophy matched Harrison's fatalism because, if he'd left the Fabs more possessed, we likely wouldn't even be comparing post-Beatle careers. But that's Geoooorge, doncha know?! More interesting elements in each of his songs than any of his compatriots.

George was the real Liverpudlian. Stoic, sardonic counterpuncher. "Sure, go ahead and have your glory bits and flashy scenes, cheeky monkey, and i'll remember and be processing everything you did long after you've forgotten you did it." It's actually kind of a shame that Eastern Philosophy matched Harrison's fatalism because, if he'd left the Fabs more possessed, we likely wouldn't even be comparing post-Beatle careers. But that's Geoooorge, doncha know?! More interesting elements in each of his songs than any of his compatriots.
My top 5 post Beatles George Harrison songs: 

1. My Sweet Lord

2. All Things Must Pass

3. Dark Horse

4. Blow Away

5. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth) 

Wanted to revise my post-Beatles Beatles top-25 ranking (now with tier breaks!), adding Oh Yoko! and doing some upon-further-review reshuffling:

#1 My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
#2 Instant Karma (Lennon)
#3 What is Life (Harrison)
#4 Imagine (Lennon)

#5 Silly Love Songs (McCartney)
#6 Band on the Run (McCartney)
#7 It Don't Come Easy (Starr [Harrison])
#8 With a Little Luck (McCartney)
#9 Jet (McCartney)
#10 Live and Let Die (McCartney)
#11 Listen to What the Man Says (McCartney)
#12 Oh Yoko! (Lennon)
#13 Stand by Me (Lennon [King])

#14 Photograph (Starr)
#15 Give Me Love (Harrison)
#16 Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
#17 Give Peace a Chance (Lennon)
#18 Another Day (McCartney)
#19 Happy X-mas (Lennon)
#20 Whatever Gets You Through the Night (Lennon)

#21 Let Em In (McCartney)
#22 Starting Over (Lennon)
#23 Watching the Wheels (Lennon)
#24 Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)
#25 Woman (Lennon)

So that's Harrison with #1 in the Beatles top-10 (While My Guitar) and #1 and #3 here.  Weird I don't like more of his other stuff, but even after giving it another chance a lot of it leaves me meh.

Wanted to revise my post-Beatles Beatles top-25 ranking (now with tier breaks!), adding Oh Yoko! and doing some upon-further-review reshuffling:

#4 Imagine (Lennon)

#9 Jet (McCartney)
#12 Oh Yoko! (Lennon

#14 Photograph (Starr)
#19 Happy X-mas (Lennon)

#25 Woman (Lennon)

So that's Harrison with #1 in the Beatles top-10 (While My Guitar) and #1 and #3 here.  Weird I don't like more of his other stuff, but even after giving it another chance a lot of it leaves me meh.
Wow.  We have the exact same tier 1 (slightly different order in the tier).   Of course, it falls apart after that.  😁

Great list overall.  Then again, I'm an unapologetic Harrison fan boy.....so maybe that's why the list appeals.

Some good songs in there that I need to revisit.  Thanks for sharing.

#4 Imagine (Lennon)

#9 Jet (McCartney)
#12 Oh Yoko! (Lennon)

#14 Photograph (Starr)
#19 Happy X-mas (Lennon)

#25 Woman (Lennon)

Looking at your list it doesn't look like you've listened to much solo Beatle since 1980.     There is a lot of great music, especially from McCartney, that a lot of Beatles fan dismiss without ever having listened to it.

Looking at your list it doesn't look like you've listened to much solo Beatle since 1980.     There is a lot of great music, especially from McCartney, that a lot of Beatles fan dismiss without ever having listened to it.
If I didn't say so the first time I posted, I meant to do.  Yeah, there's not much, if anything, here post Lennon's death.  McCartney alone has put out god knows how many songs.  Guessing it probably dwarfs the Beatles' output?

127.  Act Naturally (Help!, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Another cover song with Ringo on lead vocal , this was Buck Owens's first #1 hit ( @Officer Pete Malloy Bakersfield alert!), which Ringo heard and asked to be able to use as his contribution to the Help! album.  This one ranks highly for me because (1) as usual, Ringo's having a great time, (2) I think it's even better than the Buck Owens version, (3) nice guitar work by George, and (4) having Ringo sing this song just as he was becoming the "star" of the Help! movie seemed dripping with sarcasm.  As it turned out, though, Ringo probably did have the best acting career of all of them; I mean, did Paul get to star with John Matuszak in Caveman?  I DIDN'T THINK SO.  

Mr. krista:  "Killer song.  If they didn’t have a ball, they sound like they had a ball.  Ringo always sounds like he’s having a ball.  It’s funny in that way of great ironic country music.  It’s a tradition that is sad that they traded humor and self-deprecation for the sad angst of rock and roll."

Bonus version:  Ringo and Buck re-recorded the song in 1989, reaching the country charts again (music begins ~1:20).  

Another cover song with Ringo on lead vocal , this was Buck Owens's first #1 hit ( @Officer Pete Malloy Bakersfield alert!), which Ringo heard and asked to be able to use as his contribution to the Help! album.  This one ranks highly for me because (1) as usual, Ringo's having a great time, (2) I think it's even better than the Buck Owens version, (3) nice guitar work by George, and (4) having Ringo sing this song just as he was becoming the "star" of the Help! movie seemed dripping with sarcasm.  As it turned out, though, Ringo probably did have the best acting career of all of them; I mean, did Paul get to star with John Matuszak in Caveman?  I DIDN'T THINK SO.  

Mr. krista:  "Killer song.  If they didn’t have a ball, they sound like they had a ball.  Ringo always sounds like he’s having a ball.  It’s funny in that way of great ironic country music.  It’s a tradition that is sad that they traded humor and self-deprecation for the sad angst of rock and roll."

Bonus version:  Ringo and Buck re-recorded the song in 1989, reaching the country charts again (music begins ~1:20).  
It is better than Buck's version.  

Actually written by Johnny Russell who grew up in Fresno.  Russell also wrote Luckenbach Texas

If I didn't say so the first time I posted, I meant to do.  Yeah, there's not much, if anything, here post Lennon's death.  McCartney alone has put out god knows how many songs.  Guessing it probably dwarfs the Beatles' output?
Probably 15-20 LPs worth.  George also had a couple + Traveing Wilburys and there's a few Ringo gems out there too

Two shredding Paul vocals:

126.  I'm Down (single, 1965)

Mr. krista:  "Yeah, that’s great.  Just a super-fun song.  It makes sense that teenagers like the Beastie Boys would want to cover it. [Me:  Why?]  Because it’s a super-fun song.  Dudes being dudes type song."

Suggested cover:  The aforementioned Beastie Boys.

125.  Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Mr. krista:  "Listen to Paul!  Listen to him do it though.  Crushing that ####.  I’d like to hear what story got this out of him.  I’ve heard a lot of versions of Kansas City.  Little Richard, James Brown, etc. but that was great - up there with the best of them.  He murdered it.  I like the call and response and I can’t think of another song that does it like that. Provides rocking upbeat counterpoint to the first of this album that’s been kind of a bummer.  You’re a bummer, Beatles.  Beatles are sad."

For years I assume both of these were covers of Little Richard songs; turns out only the latter was and that "I'm Down" was the greatest Little Richard song not recorded by Little Richard.  "I'm Down" was recorded the same day as "Yesterday" and "I've Just Seen a Face" - just a demonstration of Paul's incredible range and versatility.  Geoff Emerick described the recording session for the "Kansas City" medley:  "...they really cut loose on it, playing with a confidence and a sheer, innocent joy that was positively infectious.  I knew from that minute onward that it was going to be a great session."  That session, by the way, then turned to Mr. Moonlight, I Feel Fine, I’ll Follow The Sun, Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby, Rock And Roll Music, and Words Of Love, as well as the finishing touches on Eight Days a Week.  Not a bad workday. 

John gets enormous credit for his "Twist and Shout" shredding vocal, but I'll put these two underappreciated vocals by Paul up against that one.  He even sounds amazing in the live version of "I'm Down" as the finale of the 1965 Shea Stadium concert, though the highlight for me of that video is John and George cracking up over John's Jerry Lee Lewis style keyboard playing, elbows and all.   :lol:   Unlike John's delicate songs of insecurity, these laments by Paul makes it seem like he's just going to scream his way out of his sadness, and the songs sounds like they're on the verge of blowing apart at any moment, held together only by Ringo's steady beat.  They're both great fun.  The appreciation Paul had for Little Richard was mutual:  "I've never heard that sound from English musicians before.  Honestly, if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes I'd have thought they were a colored group from back home."

It's a good song.  Well written.   The sarcasm of having Ringo sing it, as noted by krista, adds something to it.  

But let's get real:   while it is nice that the group kept Ringo involved by throwing him a few songs to sing, this particular song is a fabulous example of what sucks about Ringo songs:   at any point in time, there are probably millions and millions of people alive who are more qualified vocally to be the lead singer of a professionally recorded song.   

The Buck Owens song, taken as a whole - well, we can debate which version is superior.   But there is zero doubt that Buck singing lead vocals is a helluva lot better than Ringo.   It's like a 3-pt shooting contest between Reggie Miller and me.

Edit to add:  I love Ringo on drums and backing vocals, so I'm not purely anti-Ringo.  And this is the last time I'll be negative about him, to avoid being a broken record.

124.  Revolution 1 (White Album, 1968)

I'll mostly save my discussion of the lyrics of this song until we discuss the single version, higher in the countdown, but I will point out one difference in this version:  at ~0:57-0:58, John says "count me out - in," meant to indicate an ambivalence than he didn't have in the later single version, where he was definitively "out."

This was the first of the three "Revolution" versions to be recorded and was originally over 10 minutes long, with the last six minutes of screaming, whispering, and moaning later being spliced off and used as the foundation of "Revolution 9."  John had wanted it to be a single, but both Paul and George vetoed it, likely concerned about making the political statement and only relenting after recording the faster version, which became the b-side to "Hey Jude."  The arguments over all of the versions of "Revolution" are legendary and excruciating to read about; you really can feel the band disintegrating at this time.

It was during the first recordings of this song that John brought Yoko into the studio, and she became glued to him at all times thereafter.  As Geoff Emerick described it:  "From that point on, wherever John went, she went.  If he went into the toilet, she'd walk him down the hall and wait outside, hunched down on the floor.  When he came out, she'd walk with him back into the studio or control room and sit down beside him again. ...if he was sitting on one end of the piano bench, she'd be at the other end.  If he slid over a bit, she'd slide with him."  In this particular recording, that extended to lying down on the floor with him as he sang the lead vocal on this version of the song.  John had decided he'd be more comfortable lying down to sing this, so a boom mike was rigged to suspend above him during the recording.  And Yoko curled up right there next to him.

I like this song and even appreciate the slow pace, though I prefer the single version.  What I dislike about this one are the "shoo-be-doo-wah"s.  I dunno.

Mr. krista:  "It’s like they had a decent idea for a song and just kept playing it and playing it and playing it.  Beatles were best when they just got to the ####### point."

Suggested cover:  Not really sure which version I would call this is a cover for, but it's never a bad idea to listen to Nina Simone.

124.  Revolution 1 (White Album, 1968)

I'll mostly save my discussion of the lyrics of this song until we discuss the single version, higher in the countdown, but I will point out one difference in this version:  at ~0:57-0:58, John says "count me out - in," meant to indicate an ambivalence than he didn't have in the later single version, where he was definitively "out."

This was the first of the three "Revolution" versions to be recorded and was originally over 10 minutes long, with the last six minutes of screaming, whispering, and moaning later being spliced off and used as the foundation of "Revolution 9."  John had wanted it to be a single, but both Paul and George vetoed it, likely concerned about making the political statement and only relenting after recording the faster version, which became the b-side to "Hey Jude."  The arguments over all of the versions of "Revolution" are legendary and excruciating to read about; you really can feel the band disintegrating at this time.

It was during the first recordings of this song that John brought Yoko into the studio, and she became glued to him at all times thereafter.  As Geoff Emerick described it:  "From that point on, wherever John went, she went.  If he went into the toilet, she'd walk him down the hall and wait outside, hunched down on the floor.  When he came out, she'd walk with him back into the studio or control room and sit down beside him again. ...if he was sitting on one end of the piano bench, she'd be at the other end.  If he slid over a bit, she'd slide with him."  In this particular recording, that extended to lying down on the floor with him as he sang the lead vocal on this version of the song.  John had decided he'd be more comfortable lying down to sing this, so a boom mike was rigged to suspend above him during the recording.  And Yoko curled up right there next to him.

I like this song and even appreciate the slow pace, though I prefer the single version.  What I dislike about this one are the "shoo-be-doo-wah"s.  I dunno.

Mr. krista:  "It’s like they had a decent idea for a song and just kept playing it and playing it and playing it.  Beatles were best when they just got to the ####### point."

Suggested cover:  Not really sure which version I would call this is a cover for, but it's never a bad idea to listen to Nina Simone.
You underank the Revolutions

We-e-ell y'know, we just wanna change the list

You tell me that they're ear pollutio-o-on

We-ell y'know, we get kinda wikkidpissed

But when you talk about productio--o-on

Don't you know that i get so blissed out

Then Mr krista says the beat's "alright"

Dont you know he says the beeeeat's

Alright, alright, alright.....

I'm going to try to get through #103 by Saturday, which would mean I will have done the bottom half.  Then we'll take a halftime break Sunday, coincidentally (not really) in time for the Super Bowl.

I rank Revolution 1 much worse since the single, faster version is so much better.   I don't get this song at all.  But, I typically rank the White album lower than most Beatles fans too.   I have different taste.   

#4 Imagine (Lennon)

#9 Jet (McCartney)
#12 Oh Yoko! (Lennon)

#14 Photograph (Starr)
#19 Happy X-mas (Lennon)

#25 Woman (Lennon)

Puzzled-squared that these don't crack your top 25.

I haven't; have you?  Wish I had.  Actually looked at tickets for his latest non-All-Star-Band tour because I thought I might take my mom, who loves Ringo's voice (suck it, @Alex P Keaton), but didn't pull the trigger.  
oh yeah, a couple of times - because Todd toured with the All-Star Band several times.  Each of the main guys do a couple of their own songs and some of them do a Beatles tune or two.  It was excellent.  

123.  I Don't Want to Spoil the Party (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Another country-tinged song, and originally written for country-music-fan Ringo to sing lead.  It's unclear why/when it changed to John, but it was a good move instead to have John's double-tracked vocals on the verses with Paul's harmonies on the bridge.  I don't even understand how Ringo could have sung this one, but I'm glad he was there to keep it all tight on the drums.  I'm a fan of George's twangy, Chet-Atkins-style guitar work on this one, even though he's a bit messy with it.  I like to compare and contrast this with some of John's other, more aggressive "you're leaving me" songs (such as "Run for Your Life"), and in this case I appreciate the vulnerability without threats of violence.

Mr. krista:  "They were just trying to write a county song. We're back to really morose.  They can’t really write country, so it sounds like he’s hiding a real misery in this pastiche.  But I think dude was sad."

Suggested cover:  The only cover of a Beatles song to reach #1 on the country charts, Rosanne Cash (don't tell anyone, but I like this version better than the original)

I probably rank most of the album lower than most others would, too.  A few people pointed out that it needs to be listened to and evaluated as a whole, and I think there's some merit to that argument, though it wouldn't make me any more likely to listen to Wild Honey Pie.

Love "Isn't It a Pity" and "Helen Wheels."  Hate "Junior's Farm."
My love for Jimmy McCullough is unbounded.

Users who are viewing this thread