What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (1 Viewer)

I’m going to keep trying to get this point across.

ETA:  I'm glad you laughed; I figured I could "pick on" you since you're such a GB of mine.  It's probably the lawyerly part of me being too into semantics, but this idea that anyone says a song "should" be higher/lower on a personal preference list doesn't make any sense to me.  

It's like when @Gr00vus posted his 50 favorite songs recently; I'd never have considered saying "you shouldn't have all those Sting songs on there."  If I were going to go in that direction, I'd have said, "Wow, you really like Sting a whole lot more than I do" or some such.  This is a little different in that I wouldn't have dreamed of saying anything negative in a thread where someone was just posting what they love the most, as opposed to this which is ranking a pre-made list, but still the concept of "should be" rather than "I'd do" eludes me in this context.
Wow. You really like the Beatles

116.  Yellow Submarine (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Mr. krista:  "Did they have a budget to bring in a marching band? I love this part, too.  The bubbles, the guy’s voice, like a vaudevillian or carnival barker type thing.  Silly.  I ####### LOVE IT.  It’s obviously not the best Beatles song or the best song on the record, obviously. But its inclusion is great.  It’s a kids’ song.  The soundscapes, and what self-important mother####ers would call musique concrète that people use to evoke mood.  They get to experiment with all that, but with this unserious purpose that’s pure joy and fun.  They get to create this underwater world that’s sailing to the sun in a submarine or whatever.  In the late 90s, etc., all these bands came out with the kind of kitchen sink recordings, I’m thinking specifically of Neutral Milk Hotel, who were more like recording projects rather than bands.  Who made basically a bunch of Yellow Submarine songs that were pure nonsense and 1/10 of the fun.  They’re considered now like a classic album, but it’s Yellow Submarine, man.  It’s Ringo.  It’s self-important, joyless, Yellow Submarine.  But it’s not fun and you wouldn’t let your children listen to it."

Suggested cover:  Making an exception to my "no foreign-language versions" rule for Maurice Chevalier.  I don't know what They Might Be Giants are doing here, but I often don't, to my delight.

115.  Octopus's Garden (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Mr. krista:  "It’s really funny, it’s like the second song Ringo ever wrote.  It’s a great song; it’s fun; it’s so simple.  You hear these psycho-dramas of Paul McCartney, like Eleanor Rigby, etc., and he’s just like 'I want to be in an octopus’s garden.'  It’s not as trite as the faux-vaudeville stuff McCartney does."

Suggested covers:   I don't know who Jeffrey Lewis is, but I like his take on it.  And of course, the Muppets, with octopus on bongos.

Two kids' songs sung by Ringo, and though I love them both, I give "Octopus's Garden" the slight nod not because of anything musically, but because if I were going to visit somewhere, I'd like it to be the octopus's garden.  In fact, Ringo does a masterful job of making this underwater abode appealing that I'd kind of like to buy a house there.  I don't care what anyone says:  I love "Octopus's Garden."  Love the vocal, with Geoff Emerick "feeding the vocals into a compressor and triggering it from a pulsing tone" that gave the middle an "underwater" sound.  Love octopi.  Love the visual imagery.  Love George's Stratocaster running through the Leslie speaker and his run of notes at the beginning.  Love the under-the-sea bubble-blowing doo-***-y quality.  

"Octopus's Garden" was written by Ringo during the time during the White Album sessions that he had stormed off and quit the band.  He and his family traveled to Sardinia on Peter Sellers's yacht, and while out for the day Ringo was served octopus for the first time (he'd expected fish and chips) and started asking the captain all about octopi and their habits.  Per Ringo:  "He told me that they hang out in their caves and they go around the seabed finding shiny stones and tin cans and bottles to put in front of their cave like a garden.  I thought this was fabulous, because at the time I just wanted to be under the sea, too."  Then he got the telegram begging him to come back to the band, but in the meantime you can see in the lyrics he wrote how much he desired to escape the band's tension at the time; for instance, "We would be warm below the storm, in our little hideaway beneath the waves."  George assisted quite a lot and was a big fan of this song, imbuing the lyrics with a deeper meaning about consciousness and peacefulness than Ringo probably thought he was writing.

"Yellow Submarine" is just irresistible, with its whooshing of the waves, its cocktail party chatter, John blowing bubbles, Brian Jones clinking glasses, and of course that marching band bit. It was a perfect goofy song to give to always-affable Ringo, and the band seemed to have a great time with it when not under the watchful eyes of George Martin, who was at home sick the day the recording began.  One the second night of recording they were joined by Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Marianne Faithfull, Patti Harrison, and others, who proceeded to form what Emerick called a "whole marijuana-influenced scene...completely zany, straight out of a Marx Brothers movie."  The group played any instruments or other sound effects they could find, from bells to whistles to gongs to the aforementioned wine glasses, while John became obsessed with getting the sound of him actually singing underwater.  After singing while gurgling didn't work, he lobbied for a tank to be brought in into which he could be submerged.  Instead, Emerick convinced him to try singing through a mic that was submerged, and the team dispatched to find first a milk bottle that was filled with water, and then something the mic could be put into to protect during submersion.  The roadie Mal Evans eventually came up with it - a condom!  John was delighted and remarked that this was brilliant because they wouldn't want the mic to get "in a family way."  Unfortunately, the idea didn't work as the sound became too muffled and wasn't usable, but the anecdote shows how much fun this recording was.  Full steam ahead! 
You know that moment when you are finally ready to approach the girl you like in class and you start your move and then like an 80s movie some guy walks over and kisses her?

Me neither..... until now. 

It’s the most amazing part of the thread. Even my favorite songs I would struggle to come up with several paragraphs much less ones I don’t care a ton for. 
That's where I'm at - big props to krista on the analysis of all these songs.  Certainly way past my capabilities.  

My in-depth analysis reads like a 4th-grade book report.   - "I kinda like it a lot ...most of the time.  It's really good."

Same here.

Came here for the Beatles, stayed for the eloquence. 
It is quite a thread.  

Love the write ups even if her choices have me scratching my head.   But, I think her top songs are going to make a lot of sense.  

Yellow Sub and Octopus Garden would have been listed many days ago.  The Beatles can get away with some goofiness but those two songs are ridiculous. 

It is quite a thread.  

Love the write ups even if her choices have me scratching my head.   But, I think her top songs are going to make a lot of sense.  

Yellow Sub and Octopus Garden would have been listed many days ago.  The Beatles can get away with some goofiness but those two songs are ridiculous. 
I don't think Octopus's Garden is goofy, anymore.

Last one for tonight.

114.  The Night Before (Help!, 1965)

It's not the most exciting piece, but there are elements to it that I think make it worth listening to more closely.  First, I like the sound of Paul's vocal on it and think his rises and falls are perfect, and I'm also more of a fan of call-and-response than I should probably admit and love John's and George's harmonies.  The sped-up bridge allows Ringo to change his drums to more of Latin feel that's complemented nicely by the twangy guitars.  The guitar solo is Paul and George playing the same solo an octave apart, no doubt Paul performing it better. ;)   And this was the first time that the Pianet electric piano was played, by John.  There's a lot going on in this mostly overlooked song. 

Mr. krista:  "There are elements I like, as Ringo rides an open high hat, and there’s so much reverb, that it seems like proto-shoegaze, like Paul’s vocals are kind of far away, but otherwise it’s just a typical pop song.  Lyrics kind of pointless."

Suggested cover:  None.  I listened to a lot of them.  None.

It is quite a thread.  

Ridiculously great! 

Four Top 25 lists in....

57 total songs

6 on all four lists.
As someone who gets "that's way too high" and "that's way too low" concurrently on nearly every song, I'm surprised there are that many in common.

I'm going to work on some summarizing and try to drive interest in your project as well as my top 10 contest.   :)  

Last one for tonight.

It's not the most exciting piece, but there are elements to it that I think make it worth listening to more closely.  First, I like the sound of Paul's vocal on it and think his rises and falls are perfect, and I'm also more of a fan of call-and-response than I should probably admit and love John's and George's harmonies.  The sped-up bridge allows Ringo to change his drums to more of Latin feel that's complemented nicely by the twangy guitars.  The guitar solo is Paul and George playing the same solo an octave apart, no doubt Paul performing it better. ;)   And this was the first time that the Pianet electric piano was played, by John.  There's a lot going on in this mostly overlooked song. 

Mr. krista:  "There are elements I like, as Ringo rides an open high hat, and there’s so much reverb, that it seems like proto-shoegaze, like Paul’s vocals are kind of far away, but otherwise it’s just a typical pop song.  Lyrics kind of pointless."

I have this in my current working group of around 55-60 songs ...still trying to come up with a top 40 ...then 30.  

BUT I wouldn't see this song going any lower than 60 for me. 

My Deep Analysis:  Kind of reminds of "Tell Me Why".  I don't know why, some parts just kind of reminds of that song.  🧐

Last one for tonight.

I have this in my current working group of around 55-60 songs ...still trying to come up with a top 40 ...then 30.  

BUT I wouldn't see this song going any lower than 60 for me. 

My Deep Analysis:  Kind of reminds of "Tell Me Why".  I don't know why, some parts just kind of reminds of that song.  🧐
This song made my Top 55 last night.  Don't think it would have made it past 45 though.   I'm down to 25.  And need to order them. So ####### hard.

As someone who gets "that's way too high" and "that's way too low" concurrently on nearly every song, I'm surprised there are that many in common.

I'm going to work on some summarizing and try to drive interest in your project as well as my top 10 contest.   :)  
There is no way anyone could guess these six.   There are so many one would think that would be on it and they are not.

Thanks for letting me do this.     57 songs from four people and I can't say WTF on any of them.  That's just so ridiculous.

Last one for tonight.

Contrarian me:  Getting paid and laid is not always pointless.

117.  I Will (White Album, 1968)

Beautiful and hummable, stuck-in-your-head song with a fabulous guitar line from Paul that sounds more George-like than George does.  Readers of my first post in this thread, which is none of you, will note my statement that I'm not sentimental or sappy.  As a result, this lovely song from the Paul McCartney automatic-song-generator gets high points for all of that plus its absolutely gorgeous harmonies but is docked compared to other songs due to its hokey lyrics:

Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart.

:X  

Mr. krista:  "THAT sounds like a song that was written in 1964.  It’s a lovely little Beatles tune.  They were in India when he wrote it so they were probably feeling particularly decent.  McCartney is best when he seems vulnerable."

Suggested cover:  Allison Krauss holy hell
Ben Taylor version is excellent.

This song up there with some of Paul’s best to me.

Ben Taylor version is excellent.

This song up there with some of Paul’s best to me.
I got to Allison Krauss and stopped because WOW, so I will check this one out, too.  Could definitely see why his cover would be good.

Best Beatles album cover?  Abbey Road seems like the slam dunk response.
I think so...but I could see some loving Sgt. Pepper's.  Personally my second choice would be Revolver.  It's just groovy.

OK, doing some housekeeping.  

FIRST:  Name my #1 song contest (for charity)

Deadline:  8:00 a.m. PST on Monday, February 4 to make or change your pick

$100 donation to charity named by whoever gets closest if #1 song has not been named; multiple donations if there's a tie.

Here's what I have right now:

simey – Abbey Road medley

Mister CIA – She Said She Said

timschochet – Paperback Writer

pecorino – Hey Jude

Binky the Doormat – In My Life

wikkidpissah – Taxman

Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life

Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride

Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be

Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby

Spock – Rain

Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life

rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life

shuke – Abbey Road medley

Alex P Keaton – Something

Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends

zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps

neal cassady – I Am the Walrus

Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog

Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood

Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand

Godsbrother – Dear Prudence

SECOND:  Get the most selections out of my top 10 contest (for charity)

Deadline:  8:00 a.m. PST on Monday, February 4 to make or change your picks

$100 donation to charity named by whoever gets most of my top 10, with tiebreakers previously described.  Also, I realized that I had given by PM one of my choices to a person who is competing.  If he/she wins, I will make donations both to his/her charity plus the runner-up.

So far I have only five entrants here:  simey, Mister CIA, tim, pecorino, and Dr. Octopus.  I know this is a little more difficult than just naming a #1, but if it's too much work you could just do what Dr. Octopus did, which is list his own top 10 to see what matches up.  Anyway, it's for charity so please throw something in!

OK, doing some housekeeping.  

FIRST:  Name my #1 song contest (for charity)

Deadline:  8:00 a.m. PST on Monday, February 4 to make or change your pick

$100 donation to charity named by whoever gets closest if #1 song has not been named; multiple donations if there's a tie.

Here's what I have right now:

simey – Abbey Road medley

Mister CIA – She Said She Said

timschochet – Paperback Writer

pecorino – Hey Jude

Binky the Doormat – In My Life

wikkidpissah – Taxman

Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life

Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride

Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be

Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby

Spock – Rain

Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life

rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life

shuke – Abbey Road medley

Alex P Keaton – Something

Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends

zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps

neal cassady – I Am the Walrus

Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog

Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood

Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand

Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
She Said She Said is my dark pony.

SECOND:  Get the most selections out of my top 10 contest (for charity)

Deadline:  8:00 a.m. PST on Monday, February 4 to make or change your picks

$100 donation to charity named by whoever gets most of my top 10, with tiebreakers previously described.  Also, I realized that I had given by PM one of my choices to a person who is competing.  If he/she wins, I will make donations both to his/her charity plus the runner-up.

So far I have only five entrants here:  simey, Mister CIA, tim, pecorino, and Dr. Octopus.  I know this is a little more difficult than just naming a #1, but if it's too much work you could just do what Dr. Octopus did, which is list his own top 10 to see what matches up.  Anyway, it's for charity so please throw something in!
I got this, y'all.

THIRD:  Getzlaf's compilation of the top 25 from this thread's participants

Deadline:  Before I get to my top 25 (I think - correct me if I'm wrong)

I know several lists have already been given, but I've scoured the thread and noted the following people have already posted top 10-20 lists here, so it would be easy enough for you guys to add a few and get to your top 25!   :)

@JZilla 

@Spock

@Mister CIA

@Dinsy Ejotuz

@Dr. Octopus

@Alex P Keaton hasn't posted a top 10 but says he has one.   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think George more than any of the others progressed in his musicianship and his songwriting over the years.  In the early stuff, which you can tell by my rankings I love, he was sometimes...not good.  You can hear a lot of flubs in the guitar parts, and I don't think his voice was very developed.  Which song was it that they gave to George because at the time they alleged he could only sing a few notes?  I think it was Do You Wanna Know a Secret.  

Later, as he developed as a guitarist, singer, and songwriter, he still had that reputation within the band of being the "little brother," and he never really shook that despite his increasing prowess.  So he was generally still relegated to his "one song a record" for a while even though he was writing good stuff.  By the way, I don't mean to imply his early songs weren't good - Don't Bother Me was fantastic IMO - just that he really came into his own later.  This is why in my opinion he had the best solo stuff coming out of the gate, because he had such a backlog of great songs.  And though he wasn't a flashy guitarist, he developed a signature style that I personally love.  

ETA:  the Worthy analogy was apt.
Checkmate

5th Top 25 List is in and has been added to the Composite.   And it's my list.  I'll send to Binky when he sends me his.

I added five more songs to the list.  Now up to 62.

I knocked one song off the "All-Ballot" team.  There are only five songs on all five lists.

There are only three others on 4 of 5 of the lists.

5th Top 25 List is in and has been added to the Composite.   And it's my list.  I'll send to Binky when he sends me his.

I knocked one song off the "All-Ballot" team.  There are only five songs on all five lists.

Still way-in-progress, will send you what I am dealing with.  

wtaf

Can we get a genius like @Aaron Rudnicki to explain this?

It made sense to me.   :shrug:  

@NobodyLikesMath
5 times 25 = 125 

plus 5

which somehow  =  62

then we have 5 = 5

three out of 4/5 (which is like 1/5 more racist than the 3/5 treaty)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread