What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (12 Viewers)

OK, Binky added six more songs that no one has picked.  Up to 68 now. 

He knocked two songs off the "All-Ballot" team.     There are only three songs on all six ballots.   

One of the three is ranked five times between 14 and 22, and is 10th on the total points list.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIRD:  Getzlaf's compilation of the top 25 from this thread's participants

Deadline:  Before I get to my top 25 (I think - correct me if I'm wrong)

I know several lists have already been given, but I've scoured the thread and noted the following people have already posted top 10-20 lists here, so it would be easy enough for you guys to add a few and get to your top 25!   :)

@JZilla 

@Spock

@Mister CIA

@Dinsy Ejotuz

@Dr. Octopus

@Alex P Keaton hasn't posted a top 10 but says he has one.   :)
I'll get one in today

They were at the bottom of my list at least.
I just looked back at your top 10, and two of them will come up shortly after the halfway point, too.   :(   You and I obviously have different tastes, which is surprising because I had this general feeling that in other music threads our tastes had been similar.  The other top 10 lists that have been posted haven't been as different, with the exception of one song that was on JZilla's list and will be in my bottom half.

I just looked back at your top 10, and two of them will come up shortly after the halfway point, too.   :(   You and I obviously have different tastes, which is surprising because I had this general feeling that in other music threads our tastes had been similar.  The other top 10 lists that have been posted haven't been as different, with the exception of one song that was on JZilla's list and will be in my bottom half.
I'm not so sure I would say that necessarily - I just think we're looking at such a deep talent pool here we're kind of just splitting hairs.

I'm not so sure I would say that necessarily - I just think we're looking at such a deep talent pool here we're kind of just splitting hairs.
Definitely an element of that.  Good point.  And my list changes daily, hourly, by-the-second.  Right now, for instance, I have the songs selected that won't make the top half, and I could exchange any of them for about 30 songs above and below them and feel like that was "right" for me, too.  

Definitely an element of that.  Good point.  And my list changes daily, hourly, by-the-second.  Right now, for instance, I have the songs selected that won't make the top half, and I could exchange any of them for about 30 songs above and below them and feel like that was "right" for me, too.  
same for me - I could probably put 75 songs in my top 25.

Damn it.  I really like all of these songs.  From pretty much Dig a Pony on up, I think they're all great.  I keep typing one up and then changing my mind because I really don't want anything else to have to be bottom half.  Why did you people put out so many great songs??

Damn it.  I really like all of these songs.  From pretty much Dig a Pony on up, I think they're all great.  I keep typing one up and then changing my mind because I really don't want anything else to have to be bottom half.  Why did you people put out so many great songs??
John and George are judging you from heaven. 

Just remember that.  

No pressure.  

Let's just get this over with.

113.  Rocky Raccoon (White Album, 1968)

Beatles version:  Spotify YouTube

I like that Paul tried to do a cowboy song.  It's charming.  Love the harmonica.  Beautiful vocal.  Sweet little encapsulated story, even though I find some of the lyrics grating and forced:  Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy.  But I dock this song a full 50 slots solely because I HATE the fake drawl at the beginning.  Somewhere earlier in the thread @Uruk-Hai pointed out that Paul and John needed to edit themselves better sometimes.  I think Paul just needed a best friend to tell him not to do this ####, and during the White Album years John was not that best friend, nor was anyone else.  I can't fully express how much I love/hate this song, with probably more mixed feelings about it than any other in their repertoire.    

Mr. krista does not have mixed feelings:  "I hate that he can’t resist to throw in a jaunty piano part.  The fake cowboy drawl is ludicrous.  It’s as bad as an American singing in an affected British accent.  I hate that it seems C/W/blues/folk – these are American forms, and it seems like he’s making fun of it.  He’s not, but it seems smug.  It really really bothers me.  You don’t fully understand this #### so leave it the #### alone.  It’s like Willie Nelson trying to play the Sex Pistols – Willie, leave it alone.  It’s not your jam.  Or Miles Davis playing…well, Miles Davis probably could."

Suggested covers:  Eddie Vedder & Jack Johnson  This version, lacking a fake cowboy accent, would be ranked much, much higher on my list.  Lena Horne (thanks to @Eephus for this one).  FFA's own Nipsey.

I like that Paul tried to do a cowboy song.  It's charming.  Love the harmonica.  Beautiful vocal.  Sweet little encapsulated story, even though I find some of the lyrics grating and forced:  Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy.  But I dock this song a full 50 slots solely because I HATE the fake drawl at the beginning.  Somewhere earlier in the thread @Uruk-Hai pointed out that Paul and John needed to edit themselves better sometimes.  I think Paul just needed a best friend to tell him not to do this ####, and during the White Album years John was not that best friend, nor was anyone else.  I can't fully express how much I love/hate this song, with probably more mixed feelings about it than any other in their repertoire.    

Mr. krista does not have mixed feelings:  "I hate that he can’t resist to throw in a jaunty piano part.  The fake cowboy drawl is ludicrous.  It’s as bad as an American singing in an affected British accent.  I hate that it seems C/W/blues/folk – these are American forms, and it seems like he’s making fun of it.  He’s not, but it seems smug.  It really really bothers me.  You don’t fully understand this #### so leave it the #### alone.  It’s like Willie Nelson trying to play the Sex Pistols – Willie, leave it alone.  It’s not your jam.  Or Miles Davis playing…well, Miles Davis probably could."

Suggested covers:  Eddie Vedder & Jack Johnson  This version, lacking a fake cowboy accent, would be ranked much, much higher on my list.  Lena Horne (thanks to @Eephus for this one).  FFA's own Nipsey.
I get what you saying here but I think Mr. krista is 100% wrong here.  The song was a goof on the cowboy folk singer and if you view the drawl as just Paul messing about it's not so bad.  That said I used to like it a lot more when I was a kid than I do now.   It probably would have been in the bottom 50 for me.

This is what Music Hall was, kids. Not only Music Hall, but bank holiday vacation-spot Music Hall. Str8 rip, right down to the dowdy American characterizations and forced lyric w cheeky twist. Quite ingenious, really, though i've never had that much affection for the song.

ETA: jic i need to clarify - Paul's doing a semi-pro Music Hall performer "capturing" the Old West for his audience in the opening. think the British equivalent of **** Van Dyke's chimney sweep

112.  She's a Woman (single, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Guitar work is the star of this bluesy number, from John's jarring, stabby off-beat rhythm guitar (though listen for him to miss a chord ~1:24) to George's excellent double-tracked solo in his usual Chet-Atkins style.  Notable as possibly the first drug reference in a Beatles song, which surprisingly escaped the censors:  "Turn me on when I get lonely" came from John in reference to pot, which they'd recently tried for the first time while hanging with Bob Dylan.  Love the driving guitars and the overall vibe, but I dock it a bit for silly lyrics, especially the opening line:  "My love don't give me presents; I know that she's no peasant."  Just kinda dumb.

Mr. krista:  "I think it’s a fine song.  Probably not a great song.  But what do those lyrics mean?  [Discussion of “peasant” and “presents” v “presence.”]  Favorite part of the song is the guitar jabs."

Unsuggested covers WTF:  Scritti Politti feat. Shabba Ranks  Jeff Beck feat. ####### talkbox

7th Top 25 list is in.

NINE songs on this list that no one had chosen yet.    We now have 77 songs on the list.

We are down to ONE song that has been on all seven lists.  Two got axed.   Strawberry Fields Forever was one of the last three.   In My Life was NOT one of the last three.

If She's a Woman don't make Top 100, i don't like my Taxman pick for the top anymore, since they're pretty much the same song. Don't think a fuzzbox or even cowbell is gonna get me 111 spots.

Listed 7 times - 1 song
6 times - 5 songs
5 times - 2 songs
4 times - 8 songs
3 times - 6 songs
2 times - 23 songs (one #1 and three #2 rankings)
once - 32 songs (one #2 ranking)

I feel like you and Mr. K are a lot harder on Paul (who seems like he's goofing around with some of this stuff) than you are with John or Ringo.  Which is OK.  I find John's goofing around annoying AF.

Maybe it just comes down to what we prefer musically?

Have to be honest, if I was dating a girl named Magill, but called herself Lil, yet everyone knew her as Nancy, I'd probably want to shoot someone in the legs too.

And not for nothing, but Rocky screwed the whole thing up anyway.  Nancy Sarah Ginger ran off - the guy didn't take her and force her. It's not like Dan walked up to her and stole her.  Then he gets all liquored up, busts in on them on sex day and challenges the guy?  What did he do?  He probably didn't even know her name... she barely did.  And if you are going to bust in like that you do it guns blazing.  The fact that Dan drew first makes Rocky look like a real fool.

And then on top of that, the doctor was drunk, misdiagnosed him, and then let him walk back to his room.  With a gunshot wound.  But it's all ok because he found God at the end?  Frankly, at that point, God has to be like, "Um yeah, listen.... when my kid said anyone can come here, well, we're all filled up.  But fell free to keep the book.  Check out what Solomon wrote - that guy and his quill.  Could read him for hours."

111.  Michelle (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Someone tell @AAABatteries it's safe to come back in the thread now.

I could more easily understand loving this song than hating it, though for me it falls near the middle of my rankings.  I find some of the lyrics irritating, and you might (or probably won't) wonder how I have this above "I Will" after complaining about the trite lyrics in that one.  The answer is twofold:  first, I don't have it ranked higher every day, and if you asked me last week "I Will" might have been slightly higher, or next week it might be again.  I see these two songs as very similar sweet but slight Paul love songs.  The second answer to the question no one has asked is that, while this has some similarly basic "I love you"s that the anti-sentimental me doesn't appreciate, they're sung in this one with a desperation that I find more appealing.  Say "I love you" in a song and I'll probably dismiss it as banal and silly.  Imbue the "I love you" with desperation and pathos and angst and I'll call you genius, I guess.  It's not a surprise that this part in a minor key was written by angsty John (inspired by Nina Simone's "I Put a Spell on You") and not sunny Paul, or that I like that part the best.

Anyway, this also shines with a stunningly gorgeous bass part and a lovely guitar solo that was probably played by George (though some think it was Paul).  I appreciate the switch between major and minor keys in the verses v. the middle eight, which I think emphasizes the switch between the optimism of the verses by Paul and the sadness of the middle by John.  I also think Paul glides nicely between English and French, even if the French lyrics are a little simple.  

The song was originally composed by Paul in 1959 and was one he would play at parties thrown by John's friend Austin Mitchell.  Basically he played it to try to get girls and threw in the French parts to seem romantic.  As Paul tells it:  "I remember sitting around there, and my recollection is of a black turtleneck sweater and sitting very enigmatically in the corner, playing this rather French tune. I used to pretend I could speak French, because everyone wanted to be like Sacha Distel."  Later when they were cranking out albums and singles so fast that they needed material, John suggested to Paul that he dust this off and make something of it, and Paul did learn a little French rather than faking it.

Maybe it's because this one won the Grammy for song of the year that some people hate it, thinking it's overrated.  But I don't see how one couldn't appreciate its melody, its changes, and that bass.  It sounds like a pop standard, but that was groundbreaking for this band at this time.  It's only this low for me because I don't like ballads as much as the rock songs.

Mr. krista:  "I like this song.  I like the French singing.  I really like his bass solo."

Suggested covers:  Iggy Pop(!)  Ben Harper

7th Top 25 list is in.

NINE songs on this list that no one had chosen yet.    We now have 77 songs on the list.

We are down to ONE song that has been on all seven lists.  Two got axed.   Strawberry Fields Forever was one of the last three.   In My Life was NOT one of the last three.
So that's A Day in the Life (my not-so-bold prediction).  I wonder, if rockaction sent in a list, if that one would come off, too.

I had noticed Strawberry Fields not being talked about much when people were naming top songs, which was surprising.  Guess we just hadn't gotten around to it.

Listed 7 times - 1 song
6 times - 5 songs
5 times - 2 songs
4 times - 8 songs
3 times - 6 songs
2 times - 23 songs (one #1 and three #2 rankings)
once - 32 songs (one #2 ranking)
Now I feel like Tanner.

I feel like you and Mr. K are a lot harder on Paul (who seems like he's goofing around with some of this stuff) than you are with John or Ringo.  Which is OK.  I find John's goofing around annoying AF.

Maybe it just comes down to what we prefer musically?
Valid point; could be.  I'd say with Mr. krista it is pretty likely.  He told me once a few years ago that Paul was his least favorite Beatle, and I didn't talk to him for days.  Not that I could name a least favorite Beatle, but I needed to protect Paul's integrity.  I think Mr. krista's appreciation of Paul has grown immensely through this endeavor.  I've even caught him checking out Paul's solo work without my prompting.  He comes from this punk-rock background where Paul love doesn't occur naturally.

As for me, I think I am very critical of his vaudevillian stuff in particular, but as you say that's a matter of personal taste rather than it being objectively bad.  I didn't like when John did the circus-y stuff like Mr. Kite either, though.

I knew that your preferences and mine would diverge, because you early on expressed a strong preference for Paul's work, while I lean John.  

If She's a Woman don't make Top 100, i don't like my Taxman pick for the top anymore, since they're pretty much the same song. Don't think a fuzzbox or even cowbell is gonna get me 111 spots.
You're welcome to change your pick through 12:01 PST on Monday.   :)

I don't see the similarity, though, and have one word for you:  "bassline."  Or maybe I have two words for you:  "bass line."

Have to be honest, if I was dating a girl named Magill, but called herself Lil, yet everyone knew her as Nancy, I'd probably want to shoot someone in the legs too.

And not for nothing, but Rocky screwed the whole thing up anyway.  Nancy Sarah Ginger ran off - the guy didn't take her and force her. It's not like Dan walked up to her and stole her.  Then he gets all liquored up, busts in on them on sex day and challenges the guy?  What did he do?  He probably didn't even know her name... she barely did.  And if you are going to bust in like that you do it guns blazing.  The fact that Dan drew first makes Rocky look like a real fool.

And then on top of that, the doctor was drunk, misdiagnosed him, and then let him walk back to his room.  With a gunshot wound.  But it's all ok because he found God at the end?  Frankly, at that point, God has to be like, "Um yeah, listen.... when my kid said anyone can come here, well, we're all filled up.  But fell free to keep the book.  Check out what Solomon wrote - that guy and his quill.  Could read him for hours."
:lmao:   :lmao:  Awesome.  All of it, but especially the bold.

In honor of k's thread, I am wearing these today and carrying this. These are past gifts from my friend's kids who always keep in style.
Also awesome.  Want those socks!

I take an internet hiatus and now we are guessing 25 top songs? Is that right?
No, we're each picking our top 25 favorites. Getz is compiling them and assigning points to each spot in your rankings. He'll start unveiling everyone's picks, starting when krista takes her #25. At the end, he'll tally up the points to get a "consensus" Beatle song ranking among us. It's independent of what k4 is doing (though it'll include her picks too).

I have this in my current working group of around 55-60 songs ...still trying to come up with a top 40 ...then 30.  

BUT I wouldn't see this song going any lower than 60 for me. 

My Deep Analysis:  Kind of reminds of "Tell Me Why".  I don't know why, some parts just kind of reminds of that song.  🧐
I love The Night Before and Help more than most.   This is a top 50 song for me.  Love the vocals.  Love the choppy guitar solo.   Krista!  

Users who are viewing this thread