Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I should wait until I'm drunk and sappy, but I want to thank deeply and sincerely the people who participated in this thread.  Actually all of them, because even the ones who irritated me earlie

The Background: I don’t remember exactly when or why I decided to do this, but it’s been rumbling around in my head for a while to put the Beatles song into an order of personal preference.  When

1.  In My Life (Rubber Soul, 1965) Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube There are only two songs I’ve ever heard that I thought were perfect in their composition and recording, by which I mean

Stop it!  No more apologies, please!  (Unless you want to apologize for apologizing, but then we're going to spiral out of control.) 

Also, Binky, I specifically excluded you because it's your schtick now, and it's funny.

Edited by krista4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Is there a story as to why Paul and George frequently shared a mic and John got his own?   Why not just three mic's?

I’ve wondered this, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Is there a story as to why Paul and George frequently shared a mic and John got his own?   Why not just three mic's?

Sharing with Paul vs John would be because Paul was left handed so it was easier for both to lean in without adjusting their guitar necks.

As far as why no 4th mic (Ringo also had one)?  :shrug:  maybe a combination of money (especially early on), aesthetics (Paul and John on the flanks opposite handed meant George could roam the middle of the stage), and maybe even timing of harmonies with screaming fans

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, krista4 said:

73.  Girl (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

It's a rare John song that John actually liked!  This goes higher or lower on my list daily based on how irritating I find the spliff-sucking sounds that particular day, but I always find them at least mildly irritating.  I've read that maybe they were supposed to be intakes of breath from love or lust for this "girl," but it doesn't make it any less irritating.  Aside from that, I love the song, and it's a favorite of my cat, The Squirrel (featured in a photo earlier in this thread), since I sing it to him substituting "Squirr-r-r-rel" for "gir-r-r-rl."  Perhaps I shouldn't have admitted that.

 

These days i take that sound for a Hannibal Lecter ssssip , which, if i were a woman, would take it way past irritating. Nevertheless, I never listen to it without a nice chianti....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Stop it!  No more apologies, please!

Damn straight.  You deserve everything you get, and then some.  #86, my ###.

No, seriously.  This whole thing is ruined now.  You should probably stop.

I didn't mean it.  It's not you, it's me.  I can do better.  I'll change.

OH GOD I'M SO SORRY PLEASE DON'T STOP

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

72.  You Can't Do That (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

It's another "boy, John sure seems angry and jealous" song, though I don't put it in the same category as "Run For Your Life" because it's not directly threatening physical harm.  Well it doesn't, that is, as long as you decide as I have to hear "let you down and leave you flat" to mean "break up with you and leave you bummed" and not something more sinister.  John described his inspiration for this song:  "That's me doing Wilson Pickett. You know, a cowbell going four in the bar, and the chord going chatoong!"   And since Wilson Pickett didn't have a violent nature, I assume John didn't intend any violence in the song.  Wait, what's that?  [Checking Pickett's bio.]  Oh, nevermind.

Reminder of items I've listed so far that give a song an advantage in the rankings:  (1) cowbell, (2) cello, (3) I can sing harmony, and (4) more cowbell.  Why, what have we here??  1, 3, and 4!  There, I shouted some numbers, too!  While I do love the cowbell in the song, I'm more fond of John's aggressive vocal and his guitar on the intro and on the messy, rockin' solo, as well as George's 12-string work - his first major use of the 12-string on a song - and that little drum fill Ringo does each time between "I told you before" and "ooohhh."  Not a big fan of how the ending just peters out; it's too great a rock song for that.

Mr. krista:  "I like that song a lot.  The harmonies are fun.  They really liked the blues.  They’re so British, though, they can straight up rip people off.  A lot of blues tropes, but it still sounded distinctive and unique."

Suggested covers:  Wait for the scream and the guitar solo:  Diana Ross & the Supremes  Kind of a cover:  Harry Nilsson

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Damn straight.  You deserve everything you get, and then some.  #86, my ###.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

No, seriously.  This whole thing is ruined now.  You should probably stop.

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

I didn't mean it.  It's not you, it's me.  I can do better.  I'll change.

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

OH GOD I'M SO SORRY PLEASE DON'T STOP

 

:lmao: :lmao:  That's the spirit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

These days i take that sound for a Hannibal Lecter ssssip , which, if i were a woman, would take it way past irritating. Nevertheless, I never listen to it without a nice chianti....

It might be a lascivious ssssip, which would be an 8.5 on the irritation scale, or simply an admiring one, which would be a 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

It might be a lascivious ssssip, which would be an 8.5 on the irritation scale, or simply an admiring one, which would be a 4.

Why can't it be a maniacal sip of cannibalistic anticipation?! You ruin everything........

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re starting to mention some pretty classic songs here, but it seems to me that with 71 songs left you’re already at the point where the lesser known song will be the odd man out. From here on in every song you rank had better be sublime. 

And I think that “Eight Days A Week”and “You Can’t Do That” fall into that category. The first of these falls into what I regard as the “Beatlemania” group- the Billboard  #1 songs that dominated the charts in 63-64. I’m thinking of 5 songs in particular (6 if you count “Please Please Me”) of which you’ve already mentioned 2: “Eight Days A Week” and “Love Me Do”. The other 3 are among the best popular songs ever produced so hopefully they’re much higher on your list. 

“You Can’t Do That” is from what I would call the early to mid  Middle Beatles era (consisting of the albums A Hard Days Night, Help!, and Rubber Soul along with any singles released at that time) and I would argue, contrary to many critics who love late Beatles more, that this is their very best period of music. “You Can’t Do That” is on the lower end of the amazing songs from this era, but still representative, still incredibly excellent. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

You’re starting to mention some pretty classic songs here, but it seems to me that with 71 songs left you’re already at the point where the lesser known song will be the odd man out. From here on in every song you rank had better be sublime. 

And I think that “Eight Days A Week”and “You Can’t Do That” fall into that category. The first of these falls into what I regard as the “Beatlemania” group- the Billboard  #1 songs that dominated the charts in 63-64. I’m thinking of 5 songs in particular (6 if you count “Please Please Me”) of which you’ve already mentioned 2: “Eight Days A Week” and “Love Me Do”. The other 3 are among the best popular songs ever produced so hopefully they’re much higher on your list. 

“You Can’t Do That” is from what I would call the early to mid  Middle Beatles era (consisting of the albums A Hard Days Night, Help!, and Rubber Soul along with any singles released at that time) and I would argue, contrary to many critics who love late Beatles more, that this is their very best period of music. “You Can’t Do That” is on the lower end of the amazing songs from this era, but still representative, still incredibly excellent. 

 

I hit "From Me to You" already, too, which should be in your first group.

It's become clear in these rankings (or should be by now) that I'm a middle Beatles gal:  Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver, with the ones just before and after those (Sgt. Pepper's and A Hard Day's Night) coming in next.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Why can't it be a a homicidal sip of cannibalistic anticipation?! You ruin everything........

:(  It can be.  That's a 2 on the irritation scale (but quite high on the terror scale).

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Anyhow you’re getting better, Krista. For all your earlier mistakes it’s starting to be a pretty good list. 

Tied with Binky for best schtick.  :lmao: 

Is there a "c" after the "s" in shtick?  I don't think I've been typing this consistently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I hit "From Me to You" already, too, which should be in your first group.

It's become clear in these rankings (or should be by now) that I'm a middle Beatles gal:  Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver, with the ones just before and after those (Sgt. Pepper's and A Hard Day's Night) coming in next.

I don’t think “From Me to You” was a #1, was it? Maybe it was... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I don’t think “From Me to You†was a #1, was it? Maybe it was... 

1.  I don't speak Russian.

2.  DOES NO ONE READ MY WRITE-UPS?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

We all do, but Tim comes in once a week, reads three posts and starts with the Russian.  

AFTER, a lecturing post about what the "correct" interpretation/analysis should look like. 

We used to call that a "drive by".   

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

He basically stated something to that effect. I have no problem with the 22.

O.k., don't want to make this effort more of a chore for you than it needs to be:

23: Eleanor Rigby

24: Paperback Writer

25: Octopus's Garden

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Russian:

71.  Back in the U.S.S.R. (White Album, 1968)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Written by Paul as a parody of Chuck Berry's "Back in the U.S.A."  My favorite part of this song is the whooshing jet sounds and tire screeches.  When your favorite part of a song is jet sounds, maybe you'd think it would be ranked lower, but no, this is a great thundering rocker that gets me dancing.  It's silly and tongue-in-cheek and a rocking blast.  George is an absolute standout on lead guitar here.  Like every sentient human, I also like the little Beach Boys tribute in the middle, which was suggested by Mike Love himself while they were all hanging at the Maharishi's joint.  And not to get too political but any song that pisses off the apparently-unaware-of-parody John Birch Society is A-OK in my book.

The song is notable for the absence of Ringo, with Paul filling in on most of the drum parts.  It could have used some Ringo, as I find the drums slight behind-the-beat and muddy, but this is one of two songs (the other being "Dear Prudence") recorded while Ringo had temporarily quit the band.  Some have blamed Ringo's departure on Paul's constantly complaining about how he played the toms, but Ringo tells it more diplomatically:  "I left because I felt two things: I felt I wasn't playing great, and I also felt that the other three were really happy and I was an outsider. I went to see John...I said, 'I'm, leaving the group because I'm not playing well and I feel unloved and out of it, and you three are really close.'  And John said, 'I thought it was you three!'  So then I went over to Paul's and knocked on his door. I said the same thing: 'I'm leaving the band. I feel you three guys are really close and I'm out of it.' And Paul said, 'I thought it was you three!'  I didn't even bother going to George then. I said, 'I'm going on holiday.' I took the kids and we went to Sardinia."

WHOOOOSH!  SCREECH!

Mr. krista:  ""It’s like California Girls but about the Soviet Union.  I think it's funny.  Obviously tongue-in-cheek.  Tight little rocker.  I like the jet sounds and the Beach Boy ooo-eeee-ooos".

Suggested covers:  Not great sound quality but gotta show how much better this is with a drummer:  Beach Boys & Ringo.  Special delivery for @Yankee23Fan:  Billy Joel.  Personal favorite:  Dead Kennedys

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Speaking of Russian:

71.  Back in the U.S.S.R. (White Album, 1968)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Written by Paul as a parody of Chuck Berry's "Back in the U.S.A."  My favorite part of this song is the whooshing jet sounds and tire screeches.  When your favorite part of a song is jet sounds, maybe you'd think it would be ranked lower, but no, this is a great thundering rocker that gets me dancing.  It's silly and tongue-in-cheek and a rocking blast.  George is an absolute standout on lead guitar here.  Like every sentient human, I also like the little Beach Boys tribute in the middle, which was suggested by Mike Love himself while they were all hanging at the Maharishi's joint.  And not to get too political but any song that pisses off the apparently-unaware-of-parody John Birch Society is A-OK in my book.

The song is notable for the absence of Ringo, with Paul filling in on most of the drum parts.  It could have used some Ringo, as I find the drums slight behind-the-beat and muddy, but this is one of two songs (the other being "Dear Prudence") recorded while Ringo had temporarily quit the band.  Some have blamed Ringo's departure on Paul's constantly complaining about how he played the toms, but Ringo tells it more diplomatically:  "I left because I felt two things: I felt I wasn't playing great, and I also felt that the other three were really happy and I was an outsider. I went to see John...I said, 'I'm, leaving the group because I'm not playing well and I feel unloved and out of it, and you three are really close.'  And John said, 'I thought it was you three!'  So then I went over to Paul's and knocked on his door. I said the same thing: 'I'm leaving the band. I feel you three guys are really close and I'm out of it.' And Paul said, 'I thought it was you three!'  I didn't even bother going to George then. I said, 'I'm going on holiday.' I took the kids and we went to Sardinia."

By the way, why is Paul always singing about "JoJo"?

WHOOOOSH!  SCREECH!

Mr. krista:  ""It’s like California Girls but about the Soviet Union.  I think it's funny.  Obviously tongue-in-cheek.  Tight little rocker.  I like the jet sounds and the Beach Boy ooo-eeee-ooos".

Suggested covers:  Not great sound quality but gotta show how much better this is with a drummer:  Beach Boys & Ringo.  Special delivery for @Yankee23Fan:  Billy Joel.  Personal favorite:  Dead Kennedys

Yeah, Billy's cover was solid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Yeah, Billy's cover was solid. 

I've always thought this song needed better drumming to make it really rock to its full potential, but listening to those covers drove it home for me.  The drumming wasn't bad, but the song deserved better.  This isn't because of my Ringo love; I don't feel the same way about "Dear Prudence."

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're getting very close to the first song in the rankings that someone guessed as my #1.  One of these:

  1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – I Am the Walrus
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 – I’m Looking Through You
  27. heckmanm: Eleanor Rigby
  28. Atomic Punk – A Day in the Life
  29. [Mrs. Punk – In My Life]
  30. bananafish – Abbey Road medley
  31. bonzai – Abbey Road medley
  32. fatguy – Here Comes the Sun
  33. ScottNorwood- Yesterday
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of missing the called out numbers already.  What can I say, sometimes I'm a woman.  :lol:  Sorry for being a downer earlier.  I think it was because I had just put so much time into my "Girl" write-up - probably too much.

@Getzlaf15, how many do I have left that aren't on anyone's list?  There are three that I think are possibilities, but I think it's two or fewer now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

About USSR, my favorite part of this song is: 

>>Let me hear you balalaikas ringing out 
Come and keep your comrade warm 
I'm back in the USSR<<

- I think this is one of the greatest modulating bridges in rock history. It’s like a home run writing wise, and I say that because writing is heard. It’s rhythm. This is a beauty. I’ve heard McCartney in concert I think 4 (?) times and the sunnuvagun still hits it out the park. Better that 71 IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

About USSR, my favorite part of this song is: 

>>Let me hear you balalaikas ringing out 
Come and keep your comrade warm 
I'm back in the USSR<<

- I think this is one of the greatest modulating bridges in rock history. It’s like a home run writing wise, and I say that because writing is heard. It’s rhythm. This is a beauty. I’ve heard McCartney in concert I think 4 (?) times and the sunnuvagun still hits it out the park. Better that 71 IMO.

I've heard him do it in concert.  He had a drummer.  That was a good thing.

Love your thoughts on this one  - great points.  :thumbup: 

6 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I think I know no. 1. Like a good mystery novel I’m just gonna read. :banned:

Post it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Speaking of Russian:

71.  Back in the U.S.S.R. (White Album, 1968)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Written by Paul as a parody of Chuck Berry's "Back in the U.S.A."  My favorite part of this song is the whooshing jet sounds and tire screeches.  When your favorite part of a song is jet sounds, maybe you'd think it would be ranked lower, but no, this is a great thundering rocker that gets me dancing.  It's silly and tongue-in-cheek and a rocking blast.  George is an absolute standout on lead guitar here.  Like every sentient human, I also like the little Beach Boys tribute in the middle, which was suggested by Mike Love himself while they were all hanging at the Maharishi's joint.  And not to get too political but any song that pisses off the apparently-unaware-of-parody John Birch Society is A-OK in my book.

The song is notable for the absence of Ringo, with Paul filling in on most of the drum parts.  It could have used some Ringo, as I find the drums slight behind-the-beat and muddy, but this is one of two songs (the other being "Dear Prudence") recorded while Ringo had temporarily quit the band.  Some have blamed Ringo's departure on Paul's constantly complaining about how he played the toms, but Ringo tells it more diplomatically:  "I left because I felt two things: I felt I wasn't playing great, and I also felt that the other three were really happy and I was an outsider. I went to see John...I said, 'I'm, leaving the group because I'm not playing well and I feel unloved and out of it, and you three are really close.'  And John said, 'I thought it was you three!'  So then I went over to Paul's and knocked on his door. I said the same thing: 'I'm leaving the band. I feel you three guys are really close and I'm out of it.' And Paul said, 'I thought it was you three!'  I didn't even bother going to George then. I said, 'I'm going on holiday.' I took the kids and we went to Sardinia."

By the way, why is Paul always singing about "JoJo"?

WHOOOOSH!  SCREECH!

Mr. krista:  ""It’s like California Girls but about the Soviet Union.  I think it's funny.  Obviously tongue-in-cheek.  Tight little rocker.  I like the jet sounds and the Beach Boy ooo-eeee-ooos".

Suggested covers:  Not great sound quality but gotta show how much better this is with a drummer:  Beach Boys & Ringo.  Special delivery for @Yankee23Fan:  Billy Joel.  Personal favorite:  Dead Kennedys

I'm good. No, I'm good. 

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Sharing with Paul vs John would be because Paul was left handed so it was easier for both to lean in without adjusting their guitar necks.

As far as why no 4th mic (Ringo also had one)?  :shrug:  maybe a combination of money (especially early on), aesthetics (Paul and John on the flanks opposite handed meant George could roam the middle of the stage), and maybe even timing of harmonies with screaming fans

This sounds entirely plausible. I was going to go with the simpler theory of “John was kind of a ####.” 

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...