What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (4 Viewers)

:shock:   Hadn't thought of this.  Yeah, with it in the title, why click?  We want more people in here discussing these songs.  Sorry, tim, I'm changing back to the regular title (also means I don't have to do so much updating).
Love the acknowledgement of the bolded. Nobody wants to do that much updating. That #### gets farmed out to peeps like us and spreadsheets, though I'd have no idea how to set one up. I merely contribute.

Also, I know we've moved on, but I'd like to say that I purchased a metal Marilyn Monroe Xmas Ornament that was a metal lunch box in purple a few years back, found it on the tree this year, and was thrilled. 

Yeah, a Marilyn tin lunch box ornament, where the handle acts as the hanger. I think I got it at a quirky shop in our "Oldtown." Pretty cool, actually, though I only vaguely remember buying it.  (I'd probably have rather bought Audrey Hepburn or Anna Karina, but this was pretty iconic, regardless. And I love me some Marilyn.)  I think it was an expensive ornament, as far as ornaments go.  

Anyway, back to the scheduled program.  

:shock:   Hadn't thought of this.  Yeah, with it in the title, why click?  We want more people in here discussing these songs.  Sorry, tim, I'm changing back to the regular title (also means I don't have to do so much updating).
Shuke is wrong. Putting the song in the title gets MORE people to discuss it, not less. 

But it’s your decision. No worries, I will read the thread nonetheless, I’m sure most people here will. 

I don’t think anybody’s mentioned my favorite post-Beatles song: “Oh My Love” by John Lennon. Just a gorgeous piece of music. 

As a kid I actually liked the “Piggies” song- But after reading the book Helter Skelter about the Manson murders it has always disturbed me. 

Came for the Beatles, stayed for the lunchboxes.  I would serenade my infant daughter with Eight Days a Week as we walked around the house, her slung over my shoulder, trying to get her to sleep.  Sticking around until I see that one slotted.  At least.  

Last edited by a moderator:
200.  Dig It

Beatles versions:  Spotify  YouTube

I don't.

For years I thought, "Hey, other than the stupid talking at the end, this isn't so bad.  Maybe I'd like a full-length version of it."  Then I heard the full-length version.   :mellow:   Poor "Wild Honey Pie" wouldn't have been in the cellar at #204 if they'd released that version instead.  I'm not even going to link it here, because I wouldn't do that to you guys.  Spoiler:  it features six-year-old Heather McCartney on vocal.

As released, it's not that bad with the exception of the end bit, but I just can't rank it higher given it is clearly just a snippet, and the other snippet-songs are preferable to me.  At 50 seconds, I don't bother skipping this one, but there's nothing here that interests me.

Speaking of the end bit, given that the next song on the record was Let It Be, was that statement "Now we'd like to do Hark the Angels Come" meant to be a dig on Paul and his style of music?

Mr. krista:  "They were probably playing Like a Rolling Stone and then somebody said they had to sing stuff."

Suggested cover:  Michael Jackson It's not really a cover, but this is for funsies.
lol at first comment

Who else thinks this song is so f*cking awesome!

Me: Not Krista

I should have been clearer. I was just hoping that @krista4 would note in the summary list where the good stuff starts. It would be nice for those of us who can't keep up with the thread to know where to start listening in while avoiding the dregs.

Sorry if my initial post came off as snarky, that was not my intent.
It didn't to me, though I can see how it would be taken that way. I don't think either of you are in the wrong here. Both of you are good commenters and dudes.  

Just my $.02. 

I should have been clearer. I was just hoping that @krista4 would note in the summary list where the good stuff starts. It would be nice for those of us who can't keep up with the thread to know where to start listening in while avoiding the dregs.

Sorry if my initial post came off as snarky, that was not my intent.
No worries.  I'll try to signal when we get to the "good stuff," but that's going to be subjective like the rest of this.  For some people, we've already hit a little of the good stuff.  

Note to everyone:  my next two workdays are hellscapes, so I might not be able to post a ton of songs again until Thursday.  I'll do as much as I can, but each one takes some time.

One more suggestion- can you list the album and year of the song? For songs like “Dig It” that I don’t inmediately remember it would help to reference it. 

Regarding my last post, I tend (like most people I suspect) to think of the Beatles in 3 different stages: 

Early Beatles (Meet the Beatles to A Hard Days Night) 

Mid Beatles (Help to Revolver) 

Late Beatles (Sgt Pepper to Let It Be)

Then in each of those stages there are sub stages (for late Beatles for instance, there is early late Beatles, mid late Beatles, and late late Beatles.) 

Regarding my last post, I tend (like most people I suspect) to think of the Beatles in 3 different stages: 

Early Beatles (Meet the Beatles to A Hard Days Night) 

Mid Beatles (Help to Revolver) 

Late Beatles (Sgt Pepper to Let It Be)

Then in each of those stages there are sub stages (for late Beatles for instance, there is early late Beatles, mid late Beatles, and late late Beatles.) 
But ofcourse we can also break down early late Beatles in to early early late Beatles, early to mid early late Beatles, mid to late early late Beatles and my favorite late early late Beatles. 

197.  Blue Jay Way (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Beatles versions:  Spotify  YouTube

Written by George while waiting for Derek Taylor, who was lost in the fog, to arrive at their rental house on Blue Jay Way in Los Angeles.  I can't fault anyone for liking this better than I do.  It's just not my pail of kittens.  I admire some of it, such as the use of basically every effect available at the time, but don't enjoy it.  The movie scene with this song is cool and creepy, though.  Since I don't have much to say about this one, I'll just post my notes from when we first listened through all the albums in stage one of this process last summer:  "I didn’t like this when Yes did it either.  Fell asleep midway through. Why so menacing.  OMG, this song is still going on."

Mr. krista is probably more in the mainstream on this:  "This song is bonkers.  I think that song is great.  I love the drone.  It’s anti-music.  I love that every sound is so totally processed and full of flangers and phasers and all the vocals are through Leslie speakers and it’s totally disorienting. And you wouldn’t want a song to get from point A to point B quickly when it’s about being lost.  No, you need to take a 30-minute long tour through every instrument in George Harrison’s collection.  I feel like songs like that are what I like about psyche music.  I could listen to some of that #### for a long time.  There seems to be a double meaning between please don’t be long and please don’t belong.  It’s deep if you’re the sort of person into acid and transcendental meditation…and sitars…and those instruments with one string that go mwarmwarmwarmwar."

Suggested cover:  Colin Newman  If you're going to go creepy, go all out.

Written by George while waiting for Derek Taylor, who was lost in the fog, to arrive at their rental house on Blue Jay Way in Los Angeles.  I can't fault anyone for liking this better than I do.  It's just not my pail of kittens.  I admire some of it, such as the use of basically every effect available at the time, but don't enjoy it.  The movie scene with this song is cool and creepy, though.  Since I don't have much to say about this one, I'll just post my notes from when we first listened through all the albums in stage one of this process last summer:  "I didn’t like this when Yes did it either.  Fell asleep midway through. Why so menacing.  OMG, this song is still going on."

Mr. krista is probably more in the mainstream on this:  "This song is bonkers.  I think that song is great.  I love the drone.  It’s anti-music.  I love that every sound is so totally processed and full of flangers and phasers and all the vocals are through Leslie speakers and it’s totally disorienting. And you wouldn’t want a song to get from point A to point B quickly when it’s about being lost.  No, you need to take a 30-minute long tour through every instrument in George Harrison’s collection.  I feel like songs like that are what I like about psyche music.  I could listen to some of that #### for a long time.  There seems to be a double meaning between please don’t be long and please don’t belong.  It’s deep if you’re the sort of person into acid and transcendental meditation…and sitars…and those instruments with one string that go mwarmwarmwarmwar."

Hogwash.  Blue Jay Way is 194 at minimum.

List is ruined.  RUINED.

No worries.  I'll try to signal when we get to the "good stuff," but that's going to be subjective like the rest of this.  For some people, we've already hit a little of the good stuff.  
You've been accurate (IMO) with your assessments so far of these backend, "not so great" songs you've posted that I've had time to listen to. I have confidence that continues.

Should move up 10 spots simply due to inclusion of album and year.  

our 1st MAJOR DISAGREEMENT

No matter how you feel about listening to it, Blue Jay Way is the greatest exemplar of the Zen of George. The 1A miracle of Beatlehood is that the Curie's lab assistant became Max Planck. He didn't do it aspirationally, reactively, competitively. George Harrison turned third wheel into Third Eye, a genius of patience, humility & appreciation which transcended art and behavior to affect me as much as anything Beatle (with the possible exception of following Lennon's evolution in his attitude toward women). So there -

our 1st MAJOR DISAGREEMENT

No matter how you feel about listening to it, Blue Jay Way is greatest exemplar of the Zen of George. The 1A miracle of Beatlehood is that the Curie's lab assistant became Max Planck. He didn't do it aspirationally, reactively, competitively. George Harrison turned third wheel into Third Eye, a genius of patience, humility & appreciation which transcended art and behavior to affect me as much as anything Beatle (with the possible exception of following Lennon's evolution in his attitude toward women). So there -
I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one.  Beautifully put and compelling, and I'm eager to hear your thoughts on Lennon's evolution as well.

I still don't enjoy this song.

I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one.  Beautifully put and compelling, and I'm eager to hear your thoughts on Lennon's evolution as well.

that and my lone Beatles-related personal anecdote are the only two song-specific snippets i have ready for their corresponding entries in this

nor would i ask you to. taste is taste.

I am with Wikkid- this is the first song you have listed that I think is pretty good. 

I like the cut of Mr. krista’s jib

ARrrrrrgghhhhh, just typed all this up and lost it.  Here's a newly truncated version.

196.  Her Majesty (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Poor little Her Majesty.  Initially destined for greatness between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam in the Abbey Road medley, instead it got cut and then, at first accidentally and later with Paul's blessing, shoved onto the end of the record, leaving it to start with a big final clang from the prior song and without a final note as it was to lead into the next song.  It was not even noted as being on the record when Abbey Road was first released, making it one of the first hidden "bonus tracks."  This is a perfectly nice little 24-second snippet, but I can't rank it more highly due to its snippetness...snippetosity.

Check this out to hear what it would have sounded like in its original position.

Mr. krista:  "Clearly they were sick of each other and sick of the record.  Each of them had listened to it 10k times a piece and there’s no way they were thinking clearly and by the time they heard it everyone was like '#### it, fine.'  I bet they all would regret that now if they were all alive.  Yeah, Paul was just 'Yeah, #### it.  It’s a Beatles record.  You could tape me taking a dump and it would sell a million copies.'"

Suggested cover:  Chumbawamba.  Yes, that Chumbawamba.  They extend this out with some additional verses to make it a real song, and do a shockingly nice job of it.

ARrrrrrgghhhhh, just typed all this up and lost it.  Here's a newly truncated version.

Poor little Her Majesty.  Initially destined for greatness between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam in the Abbey Road medley, instead it got cut and then, at first accidentally and later with Paul's blessing, shoved onto the end of the record, leaving it to start with a big final clang from the prior song and without a final note as it was to lead into the next song.  It was not even noted as being on the record when Abbey Road was first released, making it one of the first hidden "bonus tracks."  This is a perfectly nice little 24-second snippet, but I can't rank it more highly due to its snippetness...snippetosity.

Check this out to hear what it would have sounded like in its original position.

Mr. krista:  "Clearly they were sick of each other and sick of the record.  Each of them had listened to it 10k times a piece and there’s no way they were thinking clearly and by the time they heard it everyone was like '#### it, fine.'  I bet they all would regret that now if they were all alive.  Yeah, Paul was just 'Yeah, #### it.  It’s a Beatles record.  You could tape me taking a dump and it would sell a million copies.'"

Suggested cover:  Chumbawamba.  Yes, that Chumbawamba.  They extend this out with some additional verses to make it a real song, and do a shockingly nice job of it.
OMG IT'S LIKE YOU'VE NEVER EVEN LISTENED TO THE BEATLES!

This would have worked miles better inserted into the medley. It still sucks, but I like the way you describe it leading out of one piece and into the other better than being taped on at the end. 

By the way, I love "Tubthumping" :bag:

Tubthumping isn't that bad of a song. I think -- and only think -- I remember Chumbawumba when they were a punk band cutting songs with Alternative Tentacles records on indie seven inches, IIRC.  
Everything I've ever seen about them - not much - seems to be about how much they hate their hit. 

I just read the thread title on the front page. I demand Chumbawumba be somewhat represented in the Beatles thread. 

There. It's been said.  

Oh, wait, you did? 

Alright!  Danny Boy! 

This would have worked miles better inserted into the medley. It still sucks, but I like the way you describe it leading out of one piece and into the other better than being taped on at the end. 

By the way, I love "Tubthumping" :bag:
I always thought the medley was perfect and Majesty really only would work on The White Album.

Users who are viewing this thread