What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (4 Viewers)

44. I Am The Walrus (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967):    like the confidence John projects while singing this one.  He's singing about absolutely nonsensical things - pure gibberish - but he pulls it off.  Someone already mentioned it, but after the pigs reference, the "hehehehahaha....." is my favorite part of the song.  I don't remember hearing this song for the first time, but I do recall being quite young and having this impression that I'd never heard a song quite like this.   A bit like seeing Pulp Fiction in 1994 - hadn't seen Reservoir Dogs yet (that's a whole different story) - and similarly this song just impacted me for a hard-to-define reason.  #16 on my list.

43.  All You Need Is Love (single, 1967):    love the smooth vocals in each verse.   "Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...."  That made sense to young APK and it makes more sense now.   Really enjoy the harmony but wish there was more of it.   That knocks it down a bit for me, but still #23 on my list.

42.  Day Tripper (single, 1965):   good song.  Not much to say.  Enjoy it but it didn't make my top 25.

41.  I Saw Her Standing There (Please Please Me, 1963):  probably about where I ranked it.  Not in my top 25.  Doesn't hit you up front quite the way that She Loves You does.  Didn't realize it was on the same album as Twist & Shout, but that makes sense.  For whatever reason, they have a similar feel to me......fun songs to hear, to sing along with, to do the harmony, etc.   The line that bothers you ("She was just 17.....") is absolutely a bizarre line in the year 2019.    It's even more bizarre to think that it wasn't considered a negative in the 60s.

40.  Hey Bulldog:   Mrs APK and I finally agreed on something!!  The marriage is saved!!   In seriousness, neither of us were as familiar with this song as we should have been, but re-listening to it like 15 times in two days, we both love this song.  If I re-did a top 25 list, it would probably be top-15 now. 

39.  I'm Looking Through You:   the title says it all.   It's a great song musically, but more importantly (to me) it's one of those songs where you look at the title and think "####, it would suck to be the person that this song was written about."

38.  Mother Nature's Son:   already commented on this one separately.  A good Paul song.  Not a Beatles song IMO.

37.  Blackbird:  ditto.   Certainly better than Rocky Raccoon at least.

36.  Eleanor Rigby - OMG HOW COULD YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!/1/1/1/1:     LOL.   This was #19 on my list, but frankly it fluctuates wildly between probably #10 and #50 for me.  Some days I think "this is just complete crap.   Why is he writing this nonsense?"   Other days, probably when I'm sleep deprived and mildly depressed, flying to some new city and stuck in a hotel room the words "I look at all the lonely people...." just resonate for me.   Anyway, too much info.

FYI, Hey Bulldog is moving up to #1.
:lol:   Moving up somewhere.

APK, thank you so much for your comments on each song!  Loved reading those.  As Shaft mentioned, I rejiggered a few things in #36-40, so the order is slightly different now.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:   Moving up somewhere.

APK, thank you so much for your comments on each song!  Loved reading those.  As Shaft mentioned, I rejiggered a few things in #36-40, so the order is slightly different now.
Meh, re-ordered, whatever.  It could all change again tomorrow.  😉

Mrs APK and I are flying to Costa Rica tomorrow with the kids, and we are planning to listen to about 6 hours worth of Beatles songs.   Not making those poor kids listen to Rocky Raccoon though.

Take a few days off.  You've earned it.

I totally understand not feeling appreciated for monumental effort.  For instance, I posted this message to my good buddy GM last night in the Metamucil thread.  A few people found it humorous, which is what I was hoping for.  But people don't realize the planning, sacrifice, and dedication I put into shtick videos.  For instance, this was the first take, previously not posted.  I thought I was going to die for a second.
I feel like we need an alert for these. 

RANKING CHANGED TO #37

37.  I'm Looking Through You (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Written around the same time and due to the same circumstances as "You Won't See Me" - that is, Paul's dissatisfaction with his relationship with Jane Asher, and in particular his being "disillusioned over her commitment" due to her absences to Bristol for her acting career.  Paul might be known for writing beautiful ballads, but I'd say his break-up songs are just as good; the lyrics for both this song and "For No One" (still to come) are devastating.  These in particular are just killer:

Your lips are moving, I cannot hear
Your voice is soothing, but the words aren't clear
You don't sound different, I've learned the game
I'm looking through you, you're not the same

Why, tell me why, did you not treat me right? 
Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight 

You're thinking of me the same old way
You were above me, but not today
The only difference is you're down there
I'm looking through you and you're nowhere

Lyrics aren't always important to me, but these speak to me of relationships where one person has started to move on, to see the other person in a new way, but the partner might now realize it yet.  In addition to the lyrics above, this one always hits me hard:  "You don't look different, but you have changed."  To me, it's that moment when I've seen the person in a new light; they don't look different, but they've changed in my eyes.  Jane Asher had a lot of gorgeous love songs written about her, but I'm not sure it was worth it to have to be the subject of these, too.  Maybe after this is over I'll do my list of most crushing "#### you" song lyrics.  

In addition to the powerful lyrics, two aspects of this song lead to its high placement on my list.  First are the vocals - Paul's double-tracked lead vocals provide a lovely melody, and John's harmonies weave in and out perfectly.  My favorite part of the song is the guitar, though.  The song starts with an acoustic guitar that leads you to believe this is going to be folk-rock song.  Then, as the vocal climbs in the register becomes more aggressive, ending each verse with the song title and then "you're not the same" or "you're nowhere," the lead guitar part becomes an electric stabby riff.  That freaking riff!  Not nearly so well known as other Beatles riffs, but it's one of my favorites (I have another favorite, generally lesser-appreciated riff coming in the top 20).   Another tiny guitar part that I love, so small I'm almost embarrassed to mention it, comes after each of the times that Paul sings "Why, tell me why, did you not treat me right?"  Just after that line, the guitar plays two notes that sound slightly off-tune, and each time I think it's the guitar is repeating the question, like "Yeah, why?"  A tiny part of the song that delights me every time.

Ringo alert!  Ringo played organ(!) and matchbox cover on this song.

For the most part, I'm sticking with the "official" versions of these songs, except for a few off Let It Be where I'll insist on rating the "naked" versions.  While I'm rating the UK Rubber Soul version, this one has a different first-take version that is cool enough that I wanted to post it, too:  bonus! 

Mr. krista:  "Great, another great Paul jam made greater by a great guitar jam.  I like those needlie needlie nees.  [Attempts to sing guitar parts.]  That's a great band, that can do those needlie nees.  Lots of guitarists try to do the needlie nees but it sucks.  Like Guns N Roses, try to do the needlies nees, and it's garbage.  These guys rock the needlie needlie nees."

Suggested cover:  Steve Earle doesn't do much inventive here, but I listen to this cover all the time; just love his voice so much.

That one was perfect.  You do the "you don't look different but you have changed" part especially well.  That seems like a deceptively difficult song to sing.  Thought it would fit your voice well, though!
Thank you! For sure a tough one because it's high and simple. FWIW I got on my knees to sing that take (instead of seated and hunched forward) and low and behold I hit that last note. @wikkidpissah

@krista4 i wish you could have met my dad.  you two would have had a blast listening to music.  he was an english major/french minor out of dartmouth.  went to france and survived, playing music on the streets for year.  was one of the first, successful, conscientious objectors to the vietnam war.  he drove a salvation army truck for 2 years instead.  smoked a GRIP of weed and played mostly rhythm guitar, some lead.  and crushed the harmonica as well.  he was an OG hippie and was an all around fascinating dude.  the stories he and my mom told/tell are surreal.  time frame, 61-69, mostly in san Francisco/LA, deeply entrenched in the music scene  

i love this thread for so many reasons.  chief among them, i'm thinking about my dad, a lot.  

@krista4 i wish you could have met my dad.  you two would have had a blast listening to music.  he was an english major/french minor out of dartmouth.  went to france and survived, playing music on the streets for year.  was one of the first, successful, conscientious objectors to the vietnam war.  he drove a salvation army truck for 2 years instead.  smoked a GRIP of weed and played mostly rhythm guitar, some lead.  and crushed the harmonica as well.  he was an OG hippie and was an all around fascinating dude.  the stories he and my mom told/tell are surreal.  time frame, 61-69, mostly in san Francisco/LA, deeply entrenched in the music scene  

i love this thread for so many reasons.  chief among them, i'm thinking about my dad, a lot.  
Wild. That's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.  

Well, I missed my goal deadline of last night for submitting my top-25.

Good news tho - my list is down to 19. Choosing the last 6 will be rough, but doable. 

Ranking the final 25 shouldn't be too time consuming, as I have kinda been doing it already. 

TLDR: My list is coming soon. 

I would have loved your dad!  What a fascinating life, and what a lovely post.

For some reason, I have an unrestrained love for hippies.  I don't come by it from my own parents.  My dad and yours didn't have many life experiences in common, and my dad was the conservative, devout Christian, accountant/real estate developer guy.  As far as I know never had a drink in his life, let alone weed or anything like that.  But like your dad, was a musician, or rather a singer.  Beautiful baritone that he deployed at home, in church, and in a gospel quartet that traveled around our region giving concerts.  Despite their different backgrounds, I suspect our dads would have enjoyed each other a lot, too.  My dad was friends with everyone he met, found each person interesting and valuable, and I bet yours did, too.

Damn, I'm looking Through you is a great song.
Agreed. I view this as one of the more underrated tunes - if that's possible - in their massive collection
Agree with you both.  Love it so much.  It was the most heartbreaking one to rank so far because I wanted it higher but couldn't figure out what I could move down.

However, I'm doing another small shakeup in the 31-38-ish rankings.  And I'm going to move it up at least one spot.

ANNOUNCE:  I'm Looking Through You ranking is under review.  I will be posting a different song as my #38.  THIS SELECTION WILL SHOCK AND DISMAY MANY IN THE THREAD.  If you have children or other sensitive creatures nearby, I advise you to cover their eyes and ears.

Probably will only get this one posted before heading out for more wine tasting today.

ANNOUNCE:  I'm Looking Through You ranking is under review.  I will be posting a different song as my #38.  THIS SELECTION WILL SHOCK AND DISMAY MANY IN THE THREAD.  If you have children or other sensitive creatures nearby, I advise you to cover their eyes and ears.

Probably will only get this one posted before heading out for more wine tasting today.
omg

I'm girding my loins in anticipation.  

You can do this? Just change rankings willy-nilly?

I have been avoiding the ranking discussion until I turn in my list, but I could not ignore this. 

Bravo! 👍

(Note: I'm Looking Through You is easily in my top 25, so no undue influence hit me with this.) 😉

Apologies to @Yankee23Fan as I know it's a favorite of his, as I'm sure it is for many people.

@Mister CIA, you had it right the first time.

38.  Let It Be (Let It Be, 1970)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

There's nothing I need to say about what I love about this song, since pretty much every other human loves it, and many musicians have described it as a perfect song.  It's such a beautiful vocal; one of my favorites from Paul.  The build on the chorus is gorgeous and compelling; I love how a new texture is added with each repeat.  The backstory is sweet, with Paul having written it during the White Album sessions when his mother came to him in a dream to let him know that things would be all right even though they were ####ty at the time:  "One night during this tense time I had a dream I saw my mum, who'd been dead 10 years or so. And it was so great to see her because that's a wonderful thing about dreams: you actually are reunited with that person for a second...  In the dream she said, 'It'll be all right.' ... I felt very blessed to have that dream. So that got me writing the song 'Let It Be.' I literally started off 'Mother Mary', which was her name, 'When I find myself in times of trouble', which I certainly found myself in."

The reason it's not as high for me as it is for most people is that the lyrics don’t do it for me like they do for others.  As someone who's not religious or spiritual, I don't connect with the lyrics on that level, nor do I feel the encouragement or self-help notions from them that Paul was expressing.  The words "let it be" don't do anything for me.  As a result, while I think it's a beautiful song, it doesn't grab me or move me at all.  Another downside to the song for me is the guitar solo, which sounds cheesy to me and doesn't compare favorably to the guitar parts in other Beatles songs.  Finally, it's a tiny quibble but I dislike the way Paul swallows the "l" about half the times he says "Let it be," after the "speaking words of wisdom" or "whisper words of wisdom" parts (two turns of phrase that I do like, though).  " 'et it be."  Hurts my ears.

That last paragraph makes it seem like I don't enjoy the song; obviously I do for it to rank this highly.  I simply don't enjoy it as much as others, since I fully expect it to be in the top five of the consensus.   

Mr. krista:  "[After playing him the naked version]  I like guitar solo a lot in that version. It was more kind of mrar-mrar, a little more rocking.  It just doesn’t do it for me the way it does most of humanity.  It’s just a fantasy, like if you just wait an answer will come. Mother Mary doesn’t whisper things to do.  People search for answers.  Whisper words – such a lame line.  I’m sure it meant something to Paul McCartney."

Suggested cover:  Does it matter?  Does anything really matter anymore now that I've gone and done this?  

This morning I was thinking about I'm Looking Through You and realized if I had a choice between listening to that and listening to Let It Be, I'd choose the former 95% of the time.  That's how I knew I'd done something wrong.

I'm going to leave I'm Looking Through You at #37 and not move it up any further, though, just so I'll stop driving myself insane with that song ranking.

38.  Let It Be (Let It Be, 1970)

The reason it's not as high for me as it is for most people is that the lyrics don’t do it for me like they do for others.  As someone who's not religious or spiritual, I don't connect with the lyrics on that level, nor do I feel the encouragement or self-help notions from them that Paul was expressing.  The words "let it be" don't do anything for me.  
Same here. You're not alone on this one.  

Users who are viewing this thread