What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (11 Viewers)

Well, this the Beatles we're talking about.
Exactly - this is what is so amazing to me and I think people who don't pay attention really miss.  These guys put out 200 songs and we are already to quality tunes after just 10 of them.  Her Majesty is a nice little tune even if it's just 20 something seconds.  Honestly, I can't really think of another band where I could go more than 50-60 songs deep.

Exactly - this is what is so amazing to me and I think people who don't pay attention really miss.  These guys put out 200 songs and we are already to quality tunes after just 10 of them.  Her Majesty is a nice little tune even if it's just 20 something seconds.  Honestly, I can't really think of another band where I could go more than 50-60 songs deep.
The Beatles Channel is singlehandedly going to make me pony up to pay for Sirius/XM in my car after my free trial ends in a couple of months.  It's all I've listened to since I got it.  I've always been a fan, but am really learning to love and appreciate so many of their songs more now.  

Beach Boys. Just an earnest answer. They could easily do it.  

Maybe, but much of their pre-Pet Sounds material was a bit homogeneous, and I'm a big fan. Compare that to the pre-Rubber Soul Beatles songs, each one of which was unique in its own way. 
My listening enjoyment of the Beatles stops at Rubber Soul and Revolver, so I'm not the most trustworthy person about the Beatles. I did an invert on my hippie-loving friends at college. I appreciate later Beach Boys stuff, earlier Beatles. 

It's weird for most critics, I'll admit. But I think the influence of the Beach Boys in indie rock in the aughts and teens tells something.  

Beach Boys. Just an earnest answer. They could easily do it.  
They are in my top 5 too but honestly I don't think I could get over 100.  I put the best of The Beach Boys, LZ, Simon & Garfunkel and Rolling Stones up there pretty close to The Beatles but then they just blow the competition away with their depth and creativity where for me they are an obvious #1.  Obviously just MO.

My listening enjoyment of the Beatles stops at Rubber Soul and Revolver, so I'm not the most trustworthy person about the Beatles. I did an invert on my hippie-loving friends at college. I appreciate later Beach Boys stuff, earlier Beatles. 

It's weird for most critics, I'll admit. But I think the influence of the Beach Boys in indie rock in the aughts and teens tells something.  
You don't like Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road?  You're dead to me.

Heh. I like them, I just don't listen to them. There's so much good music in the world, and time is limited. I just don't find them riveting. Sgt. Pepper was never Pet Sounds' answer, and I still listen to Pet Sounds, though not as much as I did when I was in my twenties, I confess. I think I played that record out.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a spot-on position for this dreck.  This came on the Beatles channel a few nights ago when my wife was with me, and I hadn't heard it in a long time.  Granted, she is not the Beatles appreciator I am, but, after about 30 seconds of Paul repeating himself, she was like "Is this song about what I think it's about?  If so, it's dumb."  And I had to agree.  

This song, along with "Blue Jay Way" on the countdown so far, are, to me, perfect examples of the idea of just because you CAN write a song at that moment doesn't mean you SHOULD.  
See, I'm with Yankee - I like this tune.  It's raw - and I LOVE the write-up and explanation from Paul.  That's how I feel when I listen to it - "baby, who cares - we want to do it, lets do it in the road". 

Never a personal favorite, which is funny, because Billy Joel's Lullabye is basically the same song message and feel wise, and Iove that.
Have a listen to that Carpenters cover I linked.  Made me appreciate the song more.

The Beatles Channel is singlehandedly going to make me pony up to pay for Sirius/XM in my car after my free trial ends in a couple of months.  It's all I've listened to since I got it.  I've always been a fan, but am really learning to love and appreciate so many of their songs more now.  
It's great.  I love the diversity of it, given you'd think it's all the same 200 songs or so.  But they do Beatles influences, covers, post-Beatles stuff from the lads, specialized shows like Dark Horse Radio, etc.  I don't think I've ever heard them play Temporary Secretary, though.   :lol:  

I thought that rock's antipathy toward post-1966 Beatles was well known in these parts.  Maybe we can convince him to give a little bit of it another shot.   :)

I thought that rock's antipathy toward post-1966 Beatles was well known in these parts.  Maybe we can convince him to give a little bit of it another shot.   :)
I'm certainly on board with it. I do like some of their later stuff -- antipathy is a kind word, but strong still -- it's just not a must-see event for me. I love songs like "Rain" -- which I heard about from this board -- and I like "Revolution" and others. It's just...it was never a grabber.  Procure the list and convince me; I'm dying to find new dimensions.  

I think if, gun to my head, I had to pick which group of Beatles' songs I got to listen to for the rest of my life and the split was between Rubber Soul/Revolver (& associated non-album singles) that I'd go with the earlier stuff. I love the later music just about as much, but there are earlier records I could not do without. 

I'm certainly on board with it. I do like some of their later stuff -- antipathy is a kind word, but strong still -- it's just not a must-see event for me. I love songs like "Rain" -- which I heard about from this board -- and I like "Revolution" and others. It's just...it was never a grabber.  Procure the list and convince me; I'm dying to find new dimensions.  
Funny because I've always been surprised that "Revolution" wasn't an exception, and now I see it is.  That one seems like it would be right up your alley.   :)   

Antipathy was purposefully strong though knowingly overstated; I do recall your saying that you didn't get any of it post-Revolver at all.

Funny because I've always been surprised that "Revolution" wasn't an exception, and now I see it is.  That one seems like it would be right up your alley.   :)   

Antipathy was purposefully strong though knowingly overstated; I do recall your saying that you didn't get any of it post-Revolver at all.
Revolution is simpatico with me.   

As for the bolded, I definitely could have said that, though I don't remember doing so. It would be hyperbole, at best, on my end.  

:shucks away, embarrassed:  

krista4 said:
Speaking of covers that aren't as good as the originals...

195.  Chains (Please Please Me, 1963)

Beatles version: Spotify  YouTube

Written by Carol King and originally recorded by The Cookies:  original version.  I like that the Beatles took up several songs from girl groups.  Some of them that we'll get to later work better than this one.  One of the problems I have with a few of these early covers is...George.  I love George!  But I feel like his voice just wasn't developed enough at this point to handle some of these songs, which I'll call out again on a later cover or two.  He was a wee bit younger than the others, and sometimes it shows.  On this one his voice sounds particularly tinny and slightly out of tune, maybe because of some small country(?) affect it sounds like he's trying to inflect in it.  I do dig the harmonica intro on the Beatles version a lot.

Fun fact:  this was the first song they recorded with three-part harmonies.

Mr. krista:  "Great song for George at the time.  It’s a nice song, kinda out of tune." 
I wasn't fond of the very Everly Brothersy Beatles - even as a tyke.  

That Ringo vocal combined with George Martin production really is a piece of work. Would be perfect for that other thread featuring music for your funeral.

I have two versions of 40+ years of Todd - harder version and softer songs version on Spotify if you're interested.  It was song draft "50 years of music - only 1 song per year." 😊  

Now back to the Beatles.  

190.  Devil in Her Heart (With the Beatles, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

We've entered the realm of "songs I like," and this is getting difficult.  I enjoy listening to this song just fine - I never turn it off - but this song and "Ask Me Why" at #189 are simply a bit unsophisticated compared to the others above them.  And in the case of this cover of "Devil in his Heart" by The Donays, I feel it suffers in comparison.  As in a couple of others, I don't think George's voice at this time had the same depth of the vocalists on the originals; after all, he was a mere 20 years old at the time.  I love the guitar on this, but the usually spot-on George flubs the guitar part by coming in early about two minutes into the song.    

Mr. krista:  "So overdubbed.  I don’t like it, that much."

189.  Ask Me Why (Please Please Me, 1963)

Another Smokey Robinson influenced tune.  I like the jazzy playfulness of this song - it feels like John purposefully putting his lamentations over his bad relationship in a slightly silly package, with the falsettos and the "I-I-I-I-I"s and such. This juxtaposition comes up in later John compositions that I feel are more artful - too many "wah wah wah"s and a confusing structure/lack of direction in this one - but still it's a pleasant ditty with some interesting guitar connections between John and George.

Mr. krista:  “I don’t care for that song very much.  It’s all the woo-oo-oo-oo-oos.  I feel like they were into Julio Iglesias at the time.”

Suggested cover:  Ahhhhh, I'm having trouble with this one.  I have an (until now) unspoken rule that I'm not going to post covers (1) from Beatles cover bands, (2) that simply perform the song in a foreign language, or (3) that turn a non-instrumental into an instrumental.  With that, the only one I've found is the Smithereens, but I already used them earlier.  If anyone has a suggested cover, please post it!

188.  Maggie Mae (Let It Be, 1970)

It's another cover and another snippet, but a particularly charming one.  I can't link an "original" since this is an 18th century song about Liverpool's, ummmm, ladies of a certain type.  The kind that walk the streets.  Primarily in the evenings.  Anyway, they sound like they're having fun, and I have fun listening.  I like the way it just fades away.  It's a throwaway but full of charm.

Mr. krista:  "Another song fragment.  I hope we can hear Rod Stewart next.  It was cute.  A cute little ditty.  It was a ditty."

187.  Yes It Is (single, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube  

This is the b-side to Ticket to Ride, and John's attempt to remake "This Boy" (still to come in my rankings), but he believed he failed to do so with this song.  There are some lovely three-part harmonies here, and John's vocal in the middle of the song is terrific.  George plays around with the volume pedal on his guitar to nice effect for this one, as he did for another song recorded the same day that will be ranked much higher.  This was recorded during the Help! sessions and was originally slotted to be on the soundtrack; not sure why it wasn't.  It's nice to hear John's softer side, but the overwhelming melancholy of this song makes it sound slightly plodding to me.  A great listen if you're in that sort of mood, though.

Mr. krista, after I told him that John tried to improve "This Boy" but felt it didn't work:  "I agree with John."

Suggested cover:  I know we have a lot of Susanna Hoffs fans here.   :heart:   The Bangles

186.  Roll Over Beethoven (With the Beatles, 1963)

Obviously this is one of the greatest songs of all time, and the Beatles perform it fine.  It just falls into my lowest-tier of covers category, "Covers that were worse than the originals."  The other Beatles cover of a Chuck Berry tune, "Rock and Roll Music," is more, for lack of a better word, rollicking than this one.  This seems to lack a little energy in comparison to that, and certainly in comparison to the original.  I guess I'd term this song "well-intentioned" - George appears not to mimic but to sing and play with reverence for it.  I dig that.

Mr. krista:  "They clearly loved the jam, but Chuck Berry rocked from like 1956 to about a year ago.  He invented how to play guitar like that, and obviously Lennon and Harrison aren’t going to match that, but they just had fun.  I mean, Willie Dixon played bass on that.  Paul McCartney is great, but he’s not playing boogie woogie like Willie Dixon."

188.  Maggie Mae (Let It Be, 1970)

It's another cover and another snippet, but a particularly charming one.  I can't link an "original" since this is an 18th century song about Liverpool's, ummmm, ladies of a certain type.  The kind that walk the streets.  Primarily in the evenings.  Anyway, they sound like they're having fun, and I have fun listening.  I like the way it just fades away.  It's a throwaway but full of charm.

Mr. krista:  "Another song fragment.  I hope we can hear Rod Stewart next.  It was cute.  A cute little ditty.  It was a ditty."
Me uncle used to sing this @ me Ma when he was mad at her. She was a love child, a criminal thing in 20s Ireland, so me 17yo dockworker Granda married me 16yo Grandma str8away and zoomed across the Sea of Ireland to Bootle, a section of the Mersey Docks just a few miles from where the Fab4 grew up, where me Ma was born and lived until she was of an indeterminate enough size to bring back to Dun Laoghaire with a made-up b'day (that she didn't know about until she applied for a passport 30 yrs later) which synched more Catholically with their wedding date. Uncle Jim would get thrashed for singing one of me Granda's favorite chanties at his big sister (not knowing the "secret") to make fun of her not really being Irish, so did it all the more, much as i mustachioed me own sis's Beatle posters. Full circle.

185.  Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

This is the last of my list of "covers that fell short of the original," and when I've mentioned earlier that at this time I felt George's vocals lacked some maturity, this is my primary example.  Even the double-tracking and the slapback echo* on his voice doesn't give it enough depth.  Listen to the original from Carl Perkins and you might agree:  I believe Perkins when he sings it.  Love this song (both versions), though.

*Created with STEED (single tape echo/echo delay)

Mr. krista:  "Good cover, probably a commentary on what it’s like to be famous all of a sudden."

Guys?  Guys???

We're 10% done.

The following albums have not yet been touched:  A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and oddly enough, Yellow Submarine.  Guess I'm a "middle Beatles" fan.

Feels like I'm losing y'all a bit.  Hang in there with me; great stuff still to come.

Guys?  Guys???

We're 10% done.

The following albums have not yet been touched:  A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and oddly enough, Yellow Submarine.  Guess I'm a "middle Beatles" fan.

Feels like I'm losing y'all a bit.  Hang in there with me; great stuff still to come.
You're not losing us.  These are just pretty meh, and there isn't much to say about them.  I will say I dislike these last few more than Wild Honey Pie!  Keep up the good work.  

Guys?  Guys???

We're 10% done.

One of the highlights of my mornings this week has been to get to the point where I can take a break and check in on this thread to see what I've missed since the last time I was on.  Not lost here at all.  

I'm a big "Yes It Is" fan, so that's the only one I quibble on recently here.  I am sucker for those luscious three part harmonies, I'll admit.    

187.  Yes It Is (single, 1965)

This is the b-side to Ticket to Ride, and John's attempt to remake "This Boy" (still to come in my rankings), but he believed he failed to do so with this song.  There are some lovely three-part harmonies here, and John's vocal in the middle of the song is terrific.  George plays around with the volume pedal on his guitar to nice effect for this one, as he did for another song recorded the same day that will be ranked much higher.  This was recorded during the Help! sessions and was originally slotted to be on the soundtrack; not sure why it wasn't.  It's nice to hear John's softer side, but the overwhelming melancholy of this song makes it sound slightly plodding to me.  A great listen if you're in that sort of mood, though.

Mr. krista, after I told him that John tried to improve "This Boy" but felt it didn't work:  "I agree with John."

Suggested cover:  I know we have a lot of Susanna Hoffs fans here.   :heart:   The Bangles
Wow, I like this one a lot.  First surprise for me.

Guys?  Guys???

We're 10% done.

no, I'm out.  :loco:

Sorry, didn't mean to seem needy.  

184.  Thank You Girl (single, 1963)

The b-side to "From Me to You," this was originally intended to be an a-side single, but the Beatles decided it "didn't work."  John in particular seems to have disliked the final results here, as he's described it as "hacky," among other things.  Like many of the earlier songs, they seems to be speaking directly to the listener, and in this case they intended the song to be a thank-you to their fans.  The off-kilter "ohs" from John, the reverb-y harmonica, and Ringo's drum fills are what draw me into this one; otherwise I might call it a little boring.

Mr. krista:  "I like the “oh oh” with all the reverb on it. I think that was them trying to do something to keep it interesting for themselves, cause otherwise it’s kind of dull."

Suggested cover:  Not a lot to choose from here, but this Argentinean hard rock version is kinda fun:  Airbag

One more before I start having some conference calls.  

183.  Baby It's You (Please Please Me, 1963)

Oops, I thought I had cleared out my lowest tier of covers, but this one snuck through.  This is the last cover in that tier.  One of two covers the Beatles did of songs by The Shirelles ("Boys" is the other), this is a nice enough Burt Bacharach composition that for me is made special by John's compelling vocal - one of my favorites of his - and George Martin on celesta.  There's something about the way John sings the "uh oh" that is utterly charming, and "I'm gonna love you any old way" is downright soulful.  The backing "shoop-shoops" are kind of annoying, but the "cheat, cheat" makes me laugh.  There's a lot I like about this, but it can't match the original.

Mr. krista:  "This song is by a girl group, too.  I like when the Beatles sound like girl groups, cuz…I like girl groups.  This is something I’ve learned about myself while listening to this.”

One more before I start having some conference calls.  

183.  Baby It's You (Please Please Me, 1963)

Oops, I thought I had cleared out my lowest tier of covers, but this one snuck through.  This is the last cover in that tier.  One of two covers the Beatles did of songs by The Shirelles ("Boys" is the other), this is a nice enough Burt Bacharach composition that for me is made special by John's compelling vocal - one of my favorites of his - and George Martin on celesta.  There's something about the way John sings the "uh oh" that is utterly charming, and "I'm gonna love you any old way" is downright soulful.  The backing "shoop-shoops" are kind of annoying, but the "cheat, cheat" makes me laugh.  There's a lot I like about this, but it can't match the original.

Mr. krista:  "This song is by a girl group, too.  I like when the Beatles sound like girl groups, cuz…I like girl groups.  This is something I’ve learned about myself while listening to this.”
I  would very much like to buy Mr. Krista a bourbon/scotch of his choice and talk music with him. 

Needed to catch up. Your audience is still here. I'm just thrilled to see who is checking in. Like a music draft.  

San Dimas High School Football Rules!  

Middle Beatles are the best! 

Users who are viewing this thread