What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAGA hats/clothing plus politically related apparel discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squistion

Footballguy
This an offshoot from a discussion in The Trump Years thread following the confrontation of a MAGA hat wearing HS kid and his friends with a Native American Vietnam vet at the Indigenous People's March yesterday in DC. In case you missed here's a link to what happened and a short but not complete video.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4867293/maga-students-mock-indigenous-protester-covington/?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=%40globalnews

How do you feel or what is your opinion of those who wear MAGA hats and other wearing apparel in public? This is what Tim said in the other thread:

15 minutes ago, timschochet said:

MAGA hats, clothing, signs, are offensive to many people, particularly minorities. Personally I regard them as not too much different than confederate flags. If you wear them out in public you are trying to be provocative. That doesn’t make you guilty of anything in particular, but it also rarely makes you an innocent bystander. 
Obviously one has the right to wear such clothing, but the purpose seems beyond just a statement of support for the President to be confrontational and aggressive which  IMO often seems the intent. And some view it as tacitly supporting racism in this country towards immigrants and Muslims.

Please discuss and try to be respectful to differing opinions so this is thread is not shut down by the mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize it wasn’t the point of your thread, but why are you continuing to link news where the whole story is not included? 

I realize it wasn’t the point of your thread, but why are you continuing to link news where the whole story is not included? 
I noted the video was incomplete. I just wanted a link that showed the confrontation that has gone viral. And the thread is not really about what happened yesterday, but about the overall discussion of wearing MAGA hats and such.

If you wish to post links to the whole story be my guest.

I noted the video was incomplete. I just wanted a link that showed the confrontation that has gone viral. And the discussion is not really about what happened yesterday, but about the overall discussion of wearing MAGA hats and such.

If you wish to post links to the whole story be my guest.
They’ve been posted. Funny how they’re not getting as much attention as the link that you posted. They don’t seem to fit a certain group’s narrative. 

IT'S A TRAP
:devil:

Seriously, that was not my intent and as long as we tread carefully and don't make sweeping generalizations about MAGA hat wearers and Trump supporters, or about those voicing opinions critical of them, it should be OK.

It is not up to me to pre-judge a person for his clothing choice or what it means. 

In a free society is should mean nothing more than an article of clothing with MAGA on it.  People can choose to support or not support anything they like in this country. The only thing there are so many haters and crazy lunatics out there the person is probably putting himself in jeopardy.

That’s exactly what you asked people to do in your opening post.
No, I asked for their opinion, and also to be respectful, which can be accomplished without venturing into the territory of "All people who wear MAGA hats are ____________"  (fill in the blank).

No, I asked for their opinion, and also to be respectful, which can be accomplished without venturing into the territory of "All people who wear MAGA hats are ____________"  (fill in the blank).
 You asked for people to form an opinion based on what somebody’s wearing but yet you don’t want them to be stereotypical? That’s not even possible. 

Any Trump supporters or Republicans here who have worn MAGA attire in public (outside of a Trump rally) and wish to share what their motivation was in doing so and what the reaction was?

Trump supporter. Most likely only watches Fox News and a few select others for news. Most likely brainwashed and will not even consider any other side so probably a waste of time to try. Possibly racist but not necessarily so. 

Anyone near Brooklyn or other hipster zones? I imagine there are MAGA hat wearing, handlebar mustache having dudes on unicycles out there now.

It tells me that not only do they lack any fashion sense, but that they are a brainwashed moron who is likely racist.

I've only ever seen one worn in person and it's my unhinged neighbor about 10 houses down that covers his garbage cans in Trump/Republican bumper stickers.  Literally his trash, recycle and green waste bins are covered in stickers that say "TRUMP 2020", "The only good liberal is a dead liberal", "LOCK HER UP", "BUILD THE WALL", pictures of Trump's face, etc.  The garbage company already replaced his cans most likely because it is difficult to tell which can is which.  Within two weeks he had the new ones plastered with stickers.  Guy carries an oxygen tank and drives a beater 70's VW bug   If only he put half the energy he does with the Trump stickers into maintaining his front yard, which looks like an overgrown, half-dead jungle.

To me it usually means someone wasted money on a pretty terrible looking hat.  Also probably lacks great judgement by supporting Trump and that terrible slogan.

Any Trump supporters or Republicans here who have worn MAGA attire in public (outside of a Trump rally) and wish to share what their motivation was in doing so and what the reaction was?
I'm more interested in knowing if anyone here actually went to a Trump rally.  

I'm more interested in knowing if anyone here actually went to a Trump rally.  
About 3-4 claimed they did, starting about the time he first started holding rallies,  only ones I remember offhand are Higgs and SIDA both of which no longer post here (being permabanned IIRC).

One of my staff had a Hillary for Prison bumper sticker on his vehicle during the election cycle. Has since changed vehicles and has a MAGA sticker on that one. He’s an idiot however 

That they're willfully ignorant, like to have what to think spoon-fed to them (from the pulpit or Fox News), and likely of average or below average intelligence.  I realize that's overgeneralizing, but I bet I'm right more than I am wrong.   

One of my staff had a Hillary for Prison bumper sticker on his vehicle during the election cycle. Has since changed vehicles and has a MAGA sticker on that one. He’s an idiot however 
I heard that guy is stealing from the company, you better look into it.

They're a proud Trump supporter (with all that that entails) and that they're not afraid to be a little provocative about it.  I have a lower opinion of somebody wearing MAGA gear than people wearing other politically-oriented clothing.

Similar to how I feel when I see someone wearing a Veteran hat or shirt.  Very brave to be wearing it in public with all these hating lunatics out there.
What? I'm confused. Are you saying vets are brave for wearing the gear or brave because of their service? 

I think either way your statement is... misguided. If I see an old guy wearing his armed forces hat, I'll likely thank him for his service.  MAGA gear? Leave 'em alone. Neither require bravery on the part of the wearer. 

It tells me that not only do they lack any fashion sense, but that they are a brainwashed moron who is likely racist.

I've only ever seen one worn in person and it's my unhinged neighbor about 10 houses down that covers his garbage cans in Trump/Republican bumper stickers.  Literally his trash, recycle and green waste bins are covered in stickers that say "TRUMP 2020", "The only good liberal is a dead liberal", "LOCK HER UP", "BUILD THE WALL", pictures of Trump's face, etc.  The garbage company already replaced his cans most likely because it is difficult to tell which can is which.  Within two weeks he had the new ones plastered with stickers.  Guy carries an oxygen tank and drives a beater 70's VW bug   If only he put half the energy he does with the Trump stickers into maintaining his front yard, which looks like an overgrown, half-dead jungle.
Apropos to nothing, house around the corner from me has a big flagpole, giant  US flag flying at the top and just under, a giant blue “Trump” flag. Just “Trump” in huge white letters. Haven’t seen that one before.

I think it’s the same guy last year mowing his lawn at the edge of the road who did a u-ey into the road without looking, causing me to swerve into other lane at 60mph.

I suspect there is some relation there.

We have a MAGA hat. There’s a store in Vegas - I think at the MGM, that has all kinds of politically themed novelties. My teenage son bought it as a joke. He doesn’t wear it much, but once in awhile. When people say something to him it’s been positive every single time. But then I live in the Midwest. I’ve got no problem with it.

Tim compared it to a Confederate flag, and I have a similar reaction to seeing MAGA as I do the Confederate flag - i.e. that person just self-identified as someone I probably wouldn't get along with.  Being a South Carolinian, it's not all that uncommon to see either (or more likely, both).

I don't know that either being displayed is being intentionally confrontational.  I think it's more likely tribalism - an outward display of who someone is, what they are proud of, what values they have...of course, those values are probably confrontational to start with...

If you have any political clothing or bumper stickers, we're probably not going to be friends
LOL..I have never nor has any of my family ever had a political shirt, hat, sign or bumper sticker.  If it was a nice UA dry fit golf shirt I might consider wearing it in support of a good friend running for a local school board.  That's about it.

At least in the elite athletic level you could say it's part of the culture.  Outside the elite athletic level it's part of being a moron.  Typically. 
Moron?    I don`t know..I know some pretty good men and woman who are tatted up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread