Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

MAGA hats/clothing plus politically related apparel discussion thread


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Ruined the child’s life. He was called a racist by every loony left leaning troll in the country.  The Post and other propagandists pushed a false narrative in an effort to destroy and discredit a pro-American movement.  I could go on for hours, but I will just defer to our President.  

What am I missing here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was banned the last time I answered this question.

It tells me that not only do they lack any fashion sense, but that they are a brainwashed moron who is likely racist. I've only ever seen one worn in person and it's my unhinged neighbor about 10

Seems silly to ask how educated he is when he is openly telling you.

Quote

Sandmann, an 11th-grader, said in a statement provided to the Enquirer that he and his classmates had been called “racists,” “bigots” and worse. He said he was “remaining motionless and calm” in hopes that things would not “get out of hand.”

- WaPo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Sandmann said in his statement that he “did not witness or hear any students chant ‘build that wall’ or anything hateful or racist at any time. Assertions to the contrary are simply false.”

He said he and his classmates were shouting cheers they knew from school, with permission from their chaperones, “to drown out the hateful comments that were being shouted at us by the protesters.”

- WaPo

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

When a black Covington student came forward, Israel called him “Kanye West” and the n-word, the footage shows. He tells the teen his friends will one day harvest his organs, an apparent reference to the racially fraught movie “Get Out.”

At that point, the students began chanting, jumping and shouting. The songs culminated in one student stripping off his shirt and shouting as others cheered.

“The chants are commonly used at sporting events. They are all positive in nature,” Sandmann said. “We would not have done that without obtaining permission from the adults in charge of our group.”

- WaPo

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

One headline was “Teens mock Native American Elder”.  When you click on the story the headline changes to different accounts of what happened. The Post also did a drive by article on the high school.  They rushed to judge and push the story based on a few minutes of video.  Shoddy reporting from a source with an agenda.  It will be great if someone makes them pay up.  

Video looked like and still looks like mocking to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

One headline was “Teens mock Native American Elder”.

The only headline I see of this is from Msn.com with WaPo video and a standalone headline and no content, just a video.

15 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

When you click on the story the headline changes to different accounts of what happened.

Isn't this what you want? It seems to me this another situation where people read the headline and realize that is not the story. The story is the story.

I'm getting the feeling people are forgetting how to read. The Wikileaks stuff was just like this and there are constant eruptions on social media over just this kind of thing: 1. Controversy. 2. It's a headline. 3. The story lays it out. 4. Oh.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

- WaPo.

250 million is stupid. It is ridiculous. I hate lawsuits like this. Wapo is being singled out and that too is ridiculous.

But Wapo is not without blame here. They were lazy in their reporting. I imagine opinion pieces must not lead to liability to wapo, because some of those are pretty bad, but lets skip those.

If we excuse the earliest reports(we shouldn't, but lets do so) and focus on this article from the 22nd which is already after many publications started acknowledging the real story and is a couple days after the event. 

Still refers to the space as being permitted. They quote him first, but they then state it definitively without quotes. They at least updated it to correct that he wasnt a vietnam vet. They also changed the headline after this came out, which originally mentioned that the maga students surrounded phillips. At this point too there were multiple versions that had come from phillips and several inconsistencies. 

That article should have never been printed and was irresponsible journalism. They had the benefit at that point of time and even just searching google would have provided them with much more accurate data. 

Is it worth 250 million??? Absolutely not. But we should demand better reporting. Especially when it was easy. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

250 million is stupid. It is ridiculous. I hate lawsuits like this. Wapo is being singled out and that too is ridiculous.

But Wapo is not without blame here. They were lazy in their reporting. I imagine opinion pieces must not lead to liability to wapo, because some of those are pretty bad, but lets skip those.

If we excuse the earliest reports(we shouldn't, but lets do so) and focus on this article from the 22nd which is already after many publications started acknowledging the real story and is a couple days after the event. 

Still refers to the space as being permitted. They quote him first, but they then state it definitively without quotes. They at least updated it to correct that he wasnt a vietnam vet. They also changed the headline after this came out, which originally mentioned that the maga students surrounded phillips. At this point too there were multiple versions that had come from phillips and several inconsistencies. 

That article should have never been printed and was irresponsible journalism. They had the benefit at that point of time and even just searching google would have provided them with much more accurate data. 

Is it worth 250 million??? Absolutely not. But we should demand better reporting. Especially when it was easy. 

 

 

 

More lawsuits are coming.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Saw my first maga hat in the wild the other day at work 

Guy, late 50s probably, white hair. Seemed normal. I didn't ask him how educated he was 

:shrug:

Seems silly to ask how educated he is when he is openly telling you.

  • Like 6
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maga-hat-student-criticizes-dress-code-make-america-great-again-hat-california-high-school/

Student criticizes dress code after being told she can't wear "Make America Great Again" hat to school

A Northern California high school student criticized her school district's dress code after she was told she couldn't wear a hat featuring a well-known Trump campaign slogan to school, CBS affiliate KGPE-TV reports. Her school district said its dress code prohibits most hats, not just ones that say "Make America Great Again."

Maddie Mueller, a senior at Clovis North High School in Fresno, wanted to wear her "Make America Great Again" hat on Wednesday. She said she was told that she couldn't wear it.

Mueller criticized the decision. "How does being a patriot and trying to show pride in your country, how is that inappropriate?" she told KGPE-TV.

A spokeswoman for the Clovis Unified School District defended its dress code. "Bottom line for us, our dress code is really about allowing our kids to come to school, to feel safe at school, to feel supported at school and to be free of distractions so they can focus on learning," Kelly Avants told KGPE-TV.

Avants told Yahoo Lifestyle that only hats featuring the school's logo or solid school colors are allowed. Mueller told KGPE-TV she asked if she could wear a Trump hat with the school's colors on it and was told that she couldn't.

Mueller also opposed that decision. "To my knowledge, Trump is not a logo," she told the station. "It's a last name. It's just our president. You can't really claim that our president is a logo, a sports team. It's not affiliating with any gang."

The student said she has worn to school T-shirts featuring the phrase "Build the wall." The phrase refers to President Trump's campaign promise to construct a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border that was at the center of the longest partial government shutdown in U.S. history and a national emergency declaration that's being contested in the courts.

"I'm not really caring if I'm offending anybody," Mueller said. "I'm just showing support for the president and what I believe."

Link to post
Share on other sites

It absolutely makes since to prohibit MAGA hats and clothing from public schools. If you want to have a T-shirt that says “Trump” that might be OK. 

But MAGA has come to symbolize bigotry and persecution against Latinos, Muslims, and other minorities for lots of people. Wearing that at school is going to cause disruption, possibly even fist fights or worse. Its a provocation that our schools don’t need to have to deal with. 

I would not be surprised to see the ACLU, whom I support, come to this kid’s defense, as they have attempted to do in the past for students who have tried to wear Swastikas, Hammer and Sickles, marijuana signs, etc. But just as in those cases, the ACLU would be wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, JohnnyU said:
On 2/20/2019 at 8:13 AM, OrtonToOlsen said:

Does that include the pure BS that comes out of the WH every day?

I didn't know the WH was a news agency.   

Why should it matter?

If a news agency reports something that is false, you think that the subject of the false statement should be able to sue for damages. Correct?

If the White House or Trump reports something that is false, why shouldn't the subject of that false statement also be able to sue for damages?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, squistion said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maga-hat-student-criticizes-dress-code-make-america-great-again-hat-california-high-school/

Student criticizes dress code after being told she can't wear "Make America Great Again" hat to school

A Northern California high school student criticized her school district's dress code after she was told she couldn't wear a hat featuring a well-known Trump campaign slogan to school, CBS affiliate KGPE-TV reports. Her school district said its dress code prohibits most hats, not just ones that say "Make America Great Again."

Maddie Mueller, a senior at Clovis North High School in Fresno, wanted to wear her "Make America Great Again" hat on Wednesday. She said she was told that she couldn't wear it.

Mueller criticized the decision. "How does being a patriot and trying to show pride in your country, how is that inappropriate?" she told KGPE-TV.

A spokeswoman for the Clovis Unified School District defended its dress code. "Bottom line for us, our dress code is really about allowing our kids to come to school, to feel safe at school, to feel supported at school and to be free of distractions so they can focus on learning," Kelly Avants told KGPE-TV.

Avants told Yahoo Lifestyle that only hats featuring the school's logo or solid school colors are allowed. Mueller told KGPE-TV she asked if she could wear a Trump hat with the school's colors on it and was told that she couldn't.

Mueller also opposed that decision. "To my knowledge, Trump is not a logo," she told the station. "It's a last name. It's just our president. You can't really claim that our president is a logo, a sports team. It's not affiliating with any gang."

The student said she has worn to school T-shirts featuring the phrase "Build the wall." The phrase refers to President Trump's campaign promise to construct a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border that was at the center of the longest partial government shutdown in U.S. history and a national emergency declaration that's being contested in the courts.

"I'm not really caring if I'm offending anybody," Mueller said. "I'm just showing support for the president and what I believe."

That’s ridiculous.

Clovis isn’t “Northern California”.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It absolutely makes since to prohibit MAGA hats and clothing from public schools. If you want to have a T-shirt that says “Trump” that might be OK. 

But MAGA has come to symbolize bigotry and persecution against Latinos, Muslims, and other minorities for lots of people. Wearing that at school is going to cause disruption, possibly even fist fights or worse. Its a provocation that our schools don’t need to have to deal with. 

I would not be surprised to see the ACLU, whom I support, come to this kid’s defense, as they have attempted to do in the past for students who have tried to wear Swastikas, Hammer and Sickles, marijuana signs, etc. But just as in those cases, the ACLU would be wrong. 

Seems the school prohibits all hats except those with the school logo.

Many prohibit political clothing of any kind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, OrtonToOlsen said:

So it shouldn't be too hard to copy/paste a very specific instance, no?

On January 19, 20 and 21, the Post ignored the truth and falsely accused Nicholas of, among other things, “accost[ing]” Phillips by “suddenly swarm[ing]” him in a “threaten[ing]” and “physically intimidat[ing]” manner as Phillips “and other activists were wrapping up the march and preparing to leave,” “block[ing]” Phillips path, refusing to allow Phillips “to retreat,” “taunting the dispersing indigenous crowd,” chanting “build that wall,” “Trump2020,” or “go back to Africa,” and otherwise engaging in racist and improper conduct which ended only “when Phillips and other activists walked away.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, knowledge dropper said:

More lawsuits are coming.   

I'd say there's a good chance by the time the attorneys get done and settlements that Sandmann and his future kids may be the ones who need to worry about the estate tax that was being debated in another thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, timschochet said:

It absolutely makes since to prohibit MAGA hats and clothing from public schools. If you want to have a T-shirt that says “Trump” that might be OK. 

But MAGA has come to symbolize bigotry and persecution against Latinos, Muslims, and other minorities for lots of people. Wearing that at school is going to cause disruption, possibly even fist fights or worse. Its a provocation that our schools don’t need to have to deal with. 

I would not be surprised to see the ACLU, whom I support, come to this kid’s defense, as they have attempted to do in the past for students who have tried to wear Swastikas, Hammer and Sickles, marijuana signs, etc. But just as in those cases, the ACLU would be wrong. 

Eh that’s not the way it works. This will mean no political garb at the school period. Which is fine IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, parasaurolophus said:

Is it worth 250 million??? Absolutely not. But we should demand better reporting. Especially when it was easy. 

Thanks for the thoughtful response. This is happening a fair amount with the rush to keep up with social media, reporting is often rushed, click baitish and poor. But it’s not defamation. But I could be wrong, we’ll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. This is happening a fair amount with the rush to keep up with social media, reporting is often rushed, click baitish and poor. But it’s not defamation. But I could be wrong, we’ll see.

The post likely will be able to pawn off a lot of the statements as being lifted from elsewhere anyway. There is a reason why when you see stories in 150 different publications the same quotes from the same three people are used. The same expert is cited, etc etc. 

They arent all calling them individually and getting the exact same statement. The constant rush has led to mostly regurgitation. 

Bad information becomes infectious then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, squistion said:

Aaron Rupar‏ @atrupar 5h5 hours ago

Donald Trump Jr:

"If you wore a MAGA hat in downtown Chicago, you probably wouldn't last too long. About two seconds until you get shot."

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1100028123096248320

Chicago should adopt that as it's official slogan.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Probably not the right place for this but the name "Trump" is offensive as these hats. It is reported it will cost each condo owner around $1500 to have these letters removed. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/owners-vote-strip-trump-luxury-condo-building-61250916

>>The buildings were developed in the 1990s by a group of Chinese billionaires.<<

- Ah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/03/maga-hat-york-vigil/

Guy wearing MAGA hat disrupts Toronto vigil for mosque attack victims

A sombre vigil at York University for the victims of last week's deadly New Zealand mosque attack erupted into chaos Monday afternoon when one person showed up wearing a MAGA hat.

[...]

Video footage from Monday afternoon's vigil shows a dramatic confrontation between a young man in a MAGA hat and several attendees.

At first, the man can be seen on camera arguing with angry vigil attendees who are asking him to leave.

"I can stand here if I want," he says in one video, at which point some people really go off, calling the man everything from "a disgrace" to an "obnoxious ######."

Another video starts with an attendee telling the man that "these people don't owe you an explanation, you just need to leave." The man is seen smiling and playing with his phone as students grow increasingly irate.

"You're wearing a symbol of racism, get the f**k out! Get out of here, right now!" shouts another person, at which point several people start chanting "Get out!"

Footage of the incident has been circulating since Monday night on Instagram, Reddit and Twitter, prompting outrage among many of those who've seen it (and sympathy from some others).

[...]

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gustavo Fring said:

The hat is undeniably stupid, but the people who actually wear these are looking for reactions from the easily triggered crowd.  

Very true.  Problem is, they may not be prepared for the reaction they get.  Dangerous game to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Very true.  Problem is, they may not be prepared for the reaction they get.  Dangerous game to play.

Yes it is. And you couldn't pay me enough to wear one of those hats in public (even if I believed in it).

Don't think anyone should be attacked for a MAGA hat but that is one possible outcome if your intent is to trigger people by donning this apparel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It says a lot about people if the get triggered by a hat which says Make America Great Again.  It seems very intolerant. 

Surely you realize that a lot of people see Trump as a bigot and his policies as racist. It's quite clear what making America 'great' again means and what that hat represents. And people who wear those hats are fully aware what they are perceived to mean. Wearing a swastika isn't illegal either. But I certainly wouldn't feel bad for someone who wore one and took grief for it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It says a lot about people if the get triggered by a hat which says Make America Great Again.  It seems very intolerant. 

It says a lot about people that they defend a completely antagonistic action by someone wearing that hat to that type of vigil.

Note:  I am neither attacking nor insulting you right now.

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It says a lot about people if the get triggered by a hat which says Make America Great Again.  It seems very intolerant. 

It also says a lot about people if they get triggered by NFL players silently and respectively kneeling during the National Anthem. It seems very intolerant.

Disclaimer:  I am neither attacking nor insulting you right now

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Surely you realize that a lot of people see Trump as a bigot and his policies as racist. It's quite clear what making America 'great' again means and what that hat represents. And people who wear those hats are fully aware what they are perceived to mean. Wearing a swastika isn't illegal either. But I certainly wouldn't feel bad for someone who wore one and took grief for it.  

It is clear what it represents to the left.   But to his supporters it means trying to control illegal immigration, lower taxes, business growth, gun rights, religious freedom, property rights, etc.   Just because it represents everything that is bad about Trump to the left, his supporters see it quite differently.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, squistion said:

It also says a lot about people if they get triggered by NFL players silently and respectively kneeling during the National Anthem. It seems very intolerant.

Disclaimer:  I am neither attacking nor insulting you right now

Do what now?  Your horrible false equivalence just shows you're here trolling again.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

It says a lot about people that they defend a completely antagonistic action by someone wearing that hat to that type of vigil.

Nite:  I am neither attacking nor insulting you right now.

I am quite away of the difference between making a point and making it personal.  Your first statement was a legitimate point about the topic.  The second part was a snarky comment directed at me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It is clear what it represents to the left.   But to his supporters it means trying to control illegal immigration, lower taxes, business growth, gun rights, religious freedom, property rights, etc.   Just because it represents everything that is bad about Trump to the left, his supporters see it quite differently.  

As long as we agree that we both realize what the 62% of non-Trump supporters thinks it represents.  That should prevent you from any shock when you hear stories of altercations over the hat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Wait, what? 

ETA: Ah. I see you are talking only about his supporters, none of whom presumably are Muslim or live near the border.  So I assume you mean they like religious freedom for their religion but not other religions, and property rights for themselves but not other property owners.

Makes sense. Although it also explains why people hate them so much- because they only care about themselves. Anyway, carry on.

No.  I mean religious freedom for all and property rights for all.   If you want to project the beliefs of some on all of his supporters you are wrong.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Do what now?  Your horrible false equivalence just shows you're here trolling again.  

That was a apt comparison as far as I am concerned, as some people did get bent out of shape over the kneeling protests, as evidenced by numerous comments in the Kaep thread and some vile comments and threats against Kaep on Twitter.

And making an analogy like this is not trolling, unless you consider the one below also trolling .

6 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Bolded is your problem not the hat wearer problem.  That's no different than me saying anyone wearing Kaepernick gear hates the flag.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

No.  I mean religious freedom for all and property rights for all.   If you want to project the beliefs of some on all of his supporters you are wrong.  

I'm not projecting anything. I'm saying that Trump very clearly does not stand for religious freedom for all and property rights for all. So if you are saying that his supporters think he does, you're either wildly wrong about them or they're wildly wrong about him. Either way it's pretty silly. It's like saying Clinton supporters are just people who support rigorous adherence to email protocol and women who wear dresses at work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TobiasFunke said:

I'm not projecting anything. I'm saying that Trump very clearly does not stand for religious freedom for all and property rights for all. So if you are saying that his supporters think he does, you're either wildly wrong about them or they're wildly wrong about him. Either way it's pretty silly. It's like saying Clinton supporters are just people who support rigorous adherence to email protocol and women who wear dresses at work.

Your comment was a disgrace, especially the last part.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Is this not one of those personal attacks you're constantly railing against?

No it was the ridiculous over-generalization.   

"Although it also explains why people hate them so much- because they only care about themselves. "

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...