What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIII Thread - PATRIOTS vs. RAMS *** (1 Viewer)

The Rams lived off of the play action pass all season.....they simply could not sustain a running game today and it showed. Also Goff made some pretty bad decisions and showed how young he is. 

The Patriots seriously dominated the LOS from the divisional round through the Super Bowl. Simple as that. They turned it on big time and pushed people around on the LOS where the game is typically always won and lost. They morphed into a power running team in the post season and again proved that a running game and defense.....is what wins championships. It was old school football.

Hats off to them. Simply put......the greatest sports dynasty I have ever seen in my life. It has been an incredible ride. Goff was in freaking kindergarten when Brady won his first ring. I mean think about that.

Saints and Chiefs would have been epic.  Sadly that is what we were left with, Maroon 5 was the highlight of the night for the first time in history.  :x
Brees sucked the last quarter of the season. Chiefs got exposed by the Patriots 2 weeks ago. The better team won tonight. Eat it Doctor :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish the refs had allowed the Patriots a chance to play the saints.

Otherwise, absent that challenge im glad the New England Patriots were rightly crowned the best (and most disciplined) NFL team in the game. 

First 8 SB drives: Punts 

Top 2 offenses in the NFL. 

1H points: 0 

Brady was 28/48 505yds, 3 TDs last year in the SB without Edelman.  Amendola had 8/152 in his absence.

Brady was 21/35 262, 0 TDs this year in the SB with Edelman.  Edelman had 10/141

Basically, Kupp is as worthless as Edelman.  Great analogy :thumbup:
Your are so clueless, it's comical. About 15 minutes after I posted the losing Kupp was huge, Deion Sanders said the same. I'm 100% confident he's more knowledgeable than you.

Oh yeah, who won that Edelman-less SB? Not the PATS. you've been completely owned again.

Really impressed with the Rams this year, but I was finally (for once) happy to see the Patriots win. It just didn't feel like the Rams deserved to be there. Not a Saints fan; it just felt like the wrong team was facing the Patriots. So I'm not sorry the Rams end up with nothing. 

Obviously we can't say they'll definitely be back, but they should be in the conversation for a few more seasons at least. Goff will only get better, as will McVay.
Welcome to the dark side. 🙂

It's only "boring" because none of us understand how the Patriots' defense did it.

Some of the stuff I'm reading this AM would have been nice to know during the game.  Pats switching to zone D after playing man all year, specifically to handle Rams man-beater jet motion.  Harmon(?) playing as a safety/corner hybrid and switching in real time to confuse Goff.  Never playing eight in the box, but still beating Rams' blockers to stuff the run. etc etc.

Would be great to hear the two D coordinators break the game down.

Sure seems like Gronk done based on his post game comments/demeanor.
I think Gronk has felt that way at the end of the last couple of seasons...his body get beat up pretty good..even last night he took some big hits.  Then in a couple of months when feeling healthy again he reconsiders.

It's only "boring" because none of us understand how the Patriots' defense did it.

Some of the stuff I'm reading this AM would have been nice to know during the game.  Pats switching to zone D after playing man all year, specifically to handle Rams man-beater jet motion.  Harmon(?) playing as a safety/corner hybrid and switching in real time to confuse Goff.  Never playing eight in the box, but still beating Rams' blockers to stuff the run. etc etc.

Pat's D was as good as I've ever seen them.  They had 5 or 6 sacks-they NEVER do that.

glad i was at a gathering with friends getting drunk and barely watching the game.  that was beyond brutal
It was an ugly game, but defensively pretty awesome. I guess I don’t mind defense though. I would rather have a close defensive game then a 45-10 blowout 

I think Gronk has felt that way at the end of the last couple of seasons...his body get beat up pretty good..even last night he took some big hits.  Then in a couple of months when feeling healthy again he reconsiders.
If Brady is back Gronk is back unless he is physically unable to perform

Exactly. I thought it was exciting. Is the McCourty play better if Cooks catches the TD? Why? That play was sick and exciting to me at least. There were a bunch of defensive plays on both sides, I thought which made the game better once I started focusing on that aspect of the game. But most people like high scoring games so it was boring to the masses.

The young hotshot coach was taken to the woodshed by an old master.  This one had less to do with Brady and more to do with defensive schemes.  McVay was out-coached all night and his young QB wasn't ready for the Pats defensive alignments and changes. 

Brady just played pitch and catch to a wide open #11, who was really great last night.  McVay/Phillips should have made Brady go elsewhere earlier on in the game.  Didn't even bump Julian off the line.  That said, the Rams defense was great.  They played good enough to win and the offense didn't show up, but that's mostly due to the Pats defense.

The Pats defense looked like the '85 Bears.  Just a well coached game plan.  

Everything that McVay tried was handled and eaten up.  Still an exciting coach on the rise, for sure, but maybe they can pump the breaks just a little bit on McVay already having a dominant coaching tree.   Still don't know why he hates Todd Gurley.

The one run Gurley had was called back for a phantom holding... by the center of all people.  Those guys get locked up on every single play.  Odd that they call that holding on a run to the outside.  That was a momentum killer at a crucial time.  Officiating. SMH.  

had the Pats at -3.   Bet 550 to win 550.  That's clams not racks.
I was talking about superbowl squares.  Rams =6, Pats = 3.  In Bell's game, that person would have won 5 grand had Zeurlein made that kick.  Because of his miss, Bell ended up winning the money.

On their TD drive, the Pats had never practiced with the set of skill position players or out of the base formation they ran that series (2 TE, FB, Burkhead, Edelman) while splitting guys out wide. 

The Rams hadn’t seen anything like it and obviously could not prepare for it. 

I’m watching the MVP presser and Edelman recounting when he first came to the Pats and B.B. was watching game tape in the off-season at 10 or 11 at night. Edelman asked him what he was doing there and why he was putting in so much time. B.B. said it beat being a plummer. 

Jump ahead to B.B. speaking after, who immediately apologized to all plumbers because it’s a tough job and he could never do it. Lol. 

I was talking about superbowl squares.  Rams =6, Pats = 3.  In Bell's game, that person would have won 5 grand had Zeurlein made that kick.  Because of his miss, Bell ended up winning the money.
AND IT WAS GLORIOUS!#!@

Long story short - there is a pool that is lots of money for 1 block.   We split the block among a group of friends.  Some guys shares were for 10K    :shock:

Hard to believe that was the same defensive unit that played against the Eagles. 
I think Hightower had a season-ending injury mid-2017. He could have helped vs. the Eagles.

But yeah, I think Patriots defense DVOA was like 16th this year.  The defense got hot at the right time. 😊

I didnt feel like the game was boring in the moment, but then again I like defense. The fact that the Pats did that and did it after losing Chung without missing a beat was hard to believe.

Then I saw that there was exactly ONE play run in the redzone from BOTH TEAMS COMBINED. Yeah, thats crazy. Hard to fault people for finding it boring.

Vegas apparently is not a big believer in NE for 2019. The Pats are 4th in odds to win next year behind KC, LAR, and NOS.

The Pats have 12 draft picks and are getting 5 players from last year’s draft that went on IR back. And they may be getting Josh Gordon back (although I’ll believe that one when I see it).

This SB win is awesome!  Reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger's line from the old Conan the Barbarian movie:

"Conan, what is best in life?"

Conan replies: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

😎

technically 3 pts but point remains :)
Sorry I was ####faced and wasn’t clear: New England shutout both KC and LAR in the 1st half... crazy.

Defensively I’m not sure what the odds of that would have been in vegas, but it would have been astronomical. 

Tom Brady 2017 without Edelman: 66.3% completion; 4577 yds; 32 TDs; 8 INT

Tom Brady 2018 with Edelman: 65.8% completion; 4355 yds; 29 TDs; 11 INT

Definitely can see why someone thinks Edelman is the man that keeps it going :thumbup:
This poast reeks of someone with an open browser window but closed eyes when it comes to watching actual real football. 

Sometimes you can still get from point A to point B without taking your favorite, and most “functional” road. It doesn’t mean that road isn’t the easiest and most reliable way to get there. 

I fell asleep for a small stretch in the 3rd quarter (3-0), woke up early 4th quarter (3-3). We had some people over (couples with little kids), most left around halftime, one other family stayed past halftime, the dad also fell asleep on my couch during the 3rd. 

Great game!!

I should put this in the other thread about getting old. I fell asleep at the beginning of the 4th. I could tell I I was going down so I recorded it. From a football purist point of view, great defensive game. It was a piece of art on the Patriot's part. Not a fan of them at all, but I am so impressed.

It was a great display of OL/DL play and alot of fun for fans who enjoy line play (there aren't many). Pats DL interior pressure was the MVP, and its great to see a team close out a big game by running the ball. 

This poast reeks of someone with an open browser window but closed eyes when it comes to watching actual real football. 

Sometimes you can still get from point A to point B without taking your favorite, and most “functional” road. It doesn’t mean that road isn’t the easiest and most reliable way to get there. 
What is a poast?  I guess I see your point - Patriots really struggled to win Super Bowls before Edelman got there 🙄

Vegas apparently is not a big believer in NE for 2019. The Pats are 4th in odds to win next year behind KC, LAR, and NOS.

The Pats have 12 draft picks and are getting 5 players from last year’s draft that went on IR back. And they may be getting Josh Gordon back (although I’ll believe that one when I see it).
This is all window dressing. The only thing that matters is the coach and QB. As long as they’re still there, they’re as good a bet as anyone to win the SB. 

Bingo.

Pats have played primarily man all season. They then changed their stripes and played 40-50% zone. 

Teams just can't do that easily. Even with two weeks to prepare.

Arguably the best defensive performance in the history of the super bowl. Belichick is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread