What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIII Thread - PATRIOTS vs. RAMS *** (2 Viewers)

It's only "boring" because none of us understand how the Patriots' defense did it.

Some of the stuff I'm reading this AM would have been nice to know during the game.  Pats switching to zone D after playing man all year, specifically to handle Rams man-beater jet motion.  Harmon(?) playing as a safety/corner hybrid and switching in real time to confuse Goff.  Never playing eight in the box, but still beating Rams' blockers to stuff the run. etc etc.

Would be great to hear the two D coordinators break the game down.
NE played the most man coverage in league in the regular season. The huge majority of time they played zone against the Rams. Late in the season and in the playoffs, they kept moving guys around pre-snap and rotated who they sent as blitzers and the rest of the defense went into man.

Against the Rams, even though they played mostly zone, they pretended to blitz and moved puzzle pieces pre-snap but instead dropped into zone . . . with all different guys. It wasn't the same zone each time. They kept rotating assignments on who had what sections of the field, who was the help, who took underneath routes, and how they rotated.

On the DL, the ends and LBs stunted the majority of the plays when in the regular season and playoffs they did not do that much. And the interior defenders basically did a bull rush into the gaps up the field with not a lot of variation.

The combination of all of that confused Goff and McVay. NE had not shown on tape before what they ran last night. That is master class level from BB and his coaching staff.

What teams usually don't do anywhere near enough off is coming up with new formations and plays when they go up against NE. The Chargers thought they could use the same game plan against NE as they did against the Ravens. The Chiefs thought they could use similar sets and strategies they ran the whole season in the rematch against NE. You can bet he knew they would eventually have to face the Chiefs again months ago and has been breaking down their film for months and months.

BB will study you and identify tenancies until 4 in the morning night after night. He will know what you will run many times before your offensive coordinator even calls in the play. That's why you can only tip your hat to the Eagles last year, as they did enough to reinvent themselves to make BB look bad.

I was at the game and I can tell you that the Pats defense beat Goff up repeatedly last night. The official count was 14 knockdowns but even on plays where the Pats didn't touch him, the pocket collapsed around him repeatedly. He never looked very comfortable between the relentless pass rush and the mixing of zone/man schemes.  That game was a Belichick masterpiece if you really like Xs and Os football. Hell of a gameplan.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a boring game, I understand the defensive purists trying to defend this, but run-run-incomplete pass-punt-commercial isn't entertaining. I'm sorry, it just isn't.

Low scoring games happen when the game gets REALLY physical.  The Pats D manhandled the Rams offensive line all night long. That's how football works.
The Rams defense played very well too :shrug:

Nonetheless, I found this game boring and uninspiring, I'm certainly not alone.

Both defenses played excellent.  It was boring offense because of it, so a very hard game to watch. 

The Pats had one drive where Brady connected on some shots.  Otherwise they didn't do much other than dink and dunk to Edelman.  Goff looked completely confused.  Several plays 2nd and 3rd options were wide open, and he never left his first target.  Someone else said it.  He reverted to his Jeff Fisher days.

I can't stand the Pats, but Belichick showed why he is the master.   He can win in so many ways and the team completely buys into whatever Kool-Aid he is serving.   And in this case he pretty much changed his defensive strategy from what they had done all year, and it completely threw Goff off (and to a lesser extent McVay because there were open WRs underneath on the some of the plays he called).  I do think McVay should have involved Gurley way more, but something appeared to be up with that so not sure he had Gurley as a real option.

Low scoring games happen when the game gets REALLY physical. That's how football works.
This is all well and good -- I mean, it was the football a lot of us grew up watching. Just don't offer up a totally different product during the regular season. Getting tired of the "it's the playoffs!" excuse.

Hard to believe that was the same defensive unit that played against the Eagles. 
thank you. This is the case, and the reason they didn't look like such a great defense is because of the play calling by Doug and the OL. So the same lauded defense here was similar to last year, it is just the guys on the other side were able to meet the challenge. McVay was like a deer in headlights, and couldn't adjust to what he was seeing.

Rams DL has been good all year, but I still hesitate to say they played that lights out. Patriots didn't have to play high scoring game because they knew they wouldn't have to take chances. Last year they had to let it hang and it worked for the most part. Could have done the same tonight, just didn't need to.

Vegas apparently is not a big believer in NE for 2019. The Pats are 4th in odds to win next year behind KC, LAR, and NOS.

The Pats have 12 draft picks and are getting 5 players from last year’s draft that went on IR back. And they may be getting Josh Gordon back (although I’ll believe that one when I see it).
NO is interesting, but I am surprised LAR is so high. I guess it is early, but I think they may not even make the playoffs next year.

Few interesting teams around the league. hard to say KC could have a better year than they did this year, but they will need to and maybe the new DC can do that. Baltimore surprised the heck out of me cause I didn't think they stood a chance with Lamar running the offense like they did but they just kept winning. if he makes some strides this off-season they could be pretty dangerous. Who knows about the Steelers, but Houston and the Chargers could be dangerous if healthy.

for the NFC, who knows. Would have loved to see a rematch from last year with Foles-Brady again, but might just have to see Wentz-Brady next year. I don't know what to think of the Packers, and I am not sure the Bears will be as good next year. NFC South is a mystery too with Carolina and Atlanta, and NFC West is similar. My guess would be that the Eagles and Saints are most likely. and there is a handful that are 1b to those 1a, like Vikings, Packers, Cowboys, Carolina, Seahawks. And I am putting Rams in 1b too

We're discussing no NE punts in last yrs SB vs Philly
I think we should also discuss how many 4th down conversions and attempts went in that game then too. Sure no punts, but Pats went for it on 4th down a lot more than last night because they knew they had to keep up.

Low scoring games happen when the game gets REALLY physical.  The Pats D manhandled the Rams offensive line all night long. That's how football works.
wish I wasn't at work, but I would link to a clip of Malcolm Jenkins hitting Books last year in the SB for showing physical play in high scoring games as well

This poast reeks of someone with an open browser window but closed eyes when it comes to watching actual real football. 

Sometimes you can still get from point A to point B without taking your favorite, and most “functional” road. It doesn’t mean that road isn’t the easiest and most reliable way to get there. 
Dude seems to be a troll no matter thd topic.....Edelman wss uncoverable....must have been the new roids he was on

wish I wasn't at work, but I would link to a clip of Malcolm Jenkins hitting Books last year in the SB for showing physical play in high scoring games as well
Not too mention that although everyone is rightly lauding the defense from last night, there wasn’t such a a game changing play like Graham’s strip sack.

This.  I’m not a Pats fan but I gotta hand it to Belichick.  Between this and his D performance vs Buffalo w/ the Giants, mad props. 
Flores as well. Apparently, this was his defensive game plan.

Gonna miss him. And now really not liking the fact he's staying in the division.

CletiusMaximus said:
It was a great display of OL/DL play and alot of fun for fans who enjoy line play (there aren't many). Pats DL interior pressure was the MVP, and its great to see a team close out a big game by running the ball. 
Agree.

Early ratings:

Lowest rated SB in the last 10 years (despite having the teams from major East and West coast markets).

LA ratings lower than the narional average - yeah, LA deserved yet another shot at not one but two teams.

Helllllooooooo!!! NFL!  Are you paying attention?  You’re being sent a clear message.  (yes, I did not watch any of the game or halftime but did enjoy with relish the responses in this thread)

Early ratings:

Lowest rated SB in the last 10 years (despite having the teams from major East and West coast markets).

LA ratings lower than the narional average - yeah, LA deserved yet another shot at not one but two teams.

Helllllooooooo!!! NFL!  Are you paying attention?  You’re being sent a clear message.  (yes, I did not watch any of the game or halftime but did enjoy with relish the responses in this thread)
So what's the message? Don't have big games with teams from LA in them? Don't let NE in the SB for the 12th time? Tell the teams they can't play defense because people liked a 54-51 game better?

So what's the message? Don't have big games with teams from LA in them? Don't let NE in the SB for the 12th time? Tell the teams they can't play defense because people liked a 54-51 game better?

How about, “Stop trying to fix something that isn’t broken” or “Stop screwing over fans from various cities by moving their beloved team to a city who couldn’t care less whether the NFL has a franchise there”. But I’m guessing you’re just being intentionally obtuse and your question is for your own amusement.

How about, “Stop trying to fix something that isn’t broken” or “Stop screwing over fans from various cities by moving their beloved team to a city who couldn’t care less whether the NFL has a franchise there”. But I’m guessing you’re just being intentionally obtuse and your question is for your own amusement.

I legit wasn't sure what the message was or what you intended.

modogg said:
I think we should also discuss how many 4th down conversions and attempts went in that game then too. Sure no punts, but Pats went for it on 4th down a lot more than last night because they knew they had to keep up.

modogg said:

Kwai Chang Caine said:
Not too mention that although everyone is rightly lauding the defense from last night, there wasn’t such a a game changing play like Graham’s strip sack.
You guys :lol:

Jesus

Early ratings:

I guess most NFL fans saw last years Super Bowl and realized beforehand that this couldn't come close.  

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Dude seems to be a troll no matter thd topic.....Edelman wss uncoverable....must have been the new roids he was on
lol I love how I'm the only person who ever does research around here and because of that I'm a troll.  

Ooh ... didn't see this live yesterday:

Nickell Robey-Coleman has fewer words after loss

He also gave a “Yes” when asked if his early unnecessary roughness penalty was a clean hit, and then when asked if he got an explanation from officials he said” “No.”

On whether it was a make-up call for the helmet-to-helmet which wasn’t called a week ago, he said a bit more.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I really don’t know to be honest with you.”

NFL has been doing this for years.  Would not surprise me if these ratings lead to the owners going even further toward “don’t even look at the offensive player” territory.

Sad...felt like up to this point there was some fan momentum toward dialing things back toward the defense a bit.

NFL has been doing this for years.  Would not surprise me if these ratings lead to the owners going even further toward “don’t even look at the offensive player” territory.

Sad...felt like up to this point there was some fan momentum toward dialing things back toward the defense a bit.
The NFL has to make up its mind. Pass interference, defensive holding, fouls against the QB in the pocket, etc. shouldn't be used like a tuning dial to tilt games towards one or the other of offense/defense. Pick a lane and stay in it.

And the helmet-to-helmet stuff? Same deal. If "player safety" and concussions are such a concern ... do it like the NCAA and legislate helmet-to-helmet from the booth all game long. On-field officials can't catch the "bang-bang" helmet hits? Do it from the booth.

:lol:  at Eagles fans somehow trying to twist their way back into relevance. The run is over guys, the King Is back on his throne :D  
I was listening to sports talk in Philly today (my mistake) and there were quite a few fans and sportstalk hosts who were claiming that the Eagles are still the champs because apparently last nights game wasn’t worthy of a Super Bowl.  And I think they were being serious.   :oldunsure:  

kyoun1e said:
Flores as well. Apparently, this was his defensive game plan.

Gonna miss him. And now really not liking the fact he's staying in the division.
Serious question. The whole game I saw BB standing on the sidelines watching while Flores was the guy calling in the defensive plays. Yet every time someone mentions the NE defense, its all about the Guru. I'm not saying that BB isn't great. But doesn't actually implementing the greatest game plan take as much skill as designing it? 

lol I love how I'm the only person who ever does research around here and because of that I'm a troll.  
yeah, see here is the thing, its your I know more than everyone attitude that's the trolling, and your work in the jaguars thread speaks for itself.....that act has been done before and its tiresome.  and you are not the only one who does "research"

Serious question. The whole game I saw BB standing on the sidelines watching while Flores was the guy calling in the defensive plays. Yet every time someone mentions the NE defense, its all about the Guru. I'm not saying that BB isn't great. But doesn't actually implementing the greatest game plan take as much skill as designing it? 
the thing with that is, you need to watch the behind the scenes and mic'd up kind of stuff, even when Matt Patricia was there, BB was always going over to him and going over things, just cuz the TV didn't show him going over stuff with Flores didn't mean it didn't happen.

Got it. The things I miss while being spoon fed the game. 

Anyone have a good tell all about the behind the scenes stuff like that? Sort of like Hard Knocks not edited to play out like the Bachelor/Big Brother? 

I know this is off topic. Sorry. 

yeah, see here is the thing, its your I know more than everyone attitude that's the trolling, and your work in the jaguars thread speaks for itself.....that act has been done before and its tiresome.  and you are not the only one who does "research"
Right, when I said the Jaguars were fake good and everyone called me a troll then too.  It was hilarious how they regressed this year to being terrible again just like I predicted.  Made some good $ fading that garbage team.

Did you want to provide us an update on the Seahawks comparison?  

Seahawks: historically great, Super Bowl winning team

Jaguars: mediocre team that played the easiest schedule in football last year

I guess those are the same according to some 

Right, when I said the Jaguars were fake good and everyone called me a troll then too.  It was hilarious how they regressed this year to being terrible again just like I predicted.  Made some good $ fading that garbage team.

Did you want to provide us an update on the Seahawks comparison?  
my comparison was you could see the seahawk defense building from good young players,  just like the jax def.....however jax is missing a very important piece, a competent QB, everyone knew this. don't break your arm trying to pat your own back......

Grigs Allmoon said:
C'mon... Gilmore turned his head after he had no shot to do anything else - after he had already grabbed Cooks' arm... He was a spectator by the time he turned his head.
No way that is called PI; especially in a SB where they let them play a little.  Cooks should have caught the ball.

Just saw this:

The Los Angeles Rams were the second-highest scoring offense during the 2018 NFL regular season, so there's no way anyone could have predicted such a poor offensive performance in Super Bowl LIII, right?

Apparently, one lucky fan was bold enough to do just that and bet $250 at 400/1 odds on the Rams scoring exactly three points. The bettor guessed correctly and ended up with a cool $100,000 to show for it.

Just saw this:

The Los Angeles Rams were the second-highest scoring offense during the 2018 NFL regular season, so there's no way anyone could have predicted such a poor offensive performance in Super Bowl LIII, right?

Apparently, one lucky fan was bold enough to do just that and bet $250 at 400/1 odds on the Rams scoring exactly three points. The bettor guessed correctly and ended up with a cool $100,000 to show for it.
The ultimate sucker bet pays off!   Reminds me of the idiots on the blackjack table who constantly bet huge on the side bets.

Users who are viewing this thread