What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tony Pollard, TEN (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Steve Wuench lists Memphis RB Tony Pollard as an under-the-radar prospect to watch at the Senior Bowl.

Pollard (6'0/208) was a late addition to the class, and the Senior Bowl is better for it. He tied the NCAA record over his career with seven kick-return touchdowns, and he also showed the ability to make plays in the passing game; catching 104 passes over his three seasons at Missouri. Pollard had to play behind Darrell Henderson, but he still ran for 552 yards on 78 carries. If he performs well in Mobile, he could shoot up draft boards.

Source: ESPN 

Jan 21 - 8:43 PM

Memphis RB Tony Pollard has been added to the Reese's Senior Bowl roster.

Pollard (6'0/208) coming in relatively late, here. The bursty back's most notable claim to fame comes in his return-game prowess -- he notched seven kick-return touchdowns during his career with the Tigers, tying the NCAA record. He also provides a nice set of receiving chops, having caught 104 passes during his three active years at Memphis. As a pure runner, Pollard rushed for a career-best 552 yards on just 78 carries during the just-completed campaign. His versatility intrigues, and he has shown the kind of athletic upside that should play well in combine testing and the like.

Source: Jim Nagy on Twitter 

Jan 17 - 1:46 PM

Memphis RB Tony Pollard received an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine.

This should be a fun one, as we're looking forward to seeing how the bursty back tests out. Pollard (6'0/200) rocked it for 60 yards and a touchdown on just eight carries at the Senior Bowl. Also a special teams ace, he's an intriguing beneath-the-surface prospect for April's draft. Likely a Day 3 prospect.

Source: Tony Pollard on Twitter 

Feb 2 - 12:26 PM

Memphis RB Tony Pollard measured in at 5-foot-11 and 5/8 inches and 210 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

With our round-up on the height measurement, Pollard hits six feet tall, same as his listed height for the 2018 season. Tied for the NCAA's all-time lead with seven kickoff return touchdowns, the Memphis standout should be in store for a strong set of testing marks. It will be fascinating to see how he and teammate Darrell Henderson test against each other. Henderson is viewed as the better prospect, but Pollard has a fair bit of juice in his own right. We'll see how much later this week.

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 5:45 PM

Memphis RB Tony Pollard ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Pollard weighs 210 pounds, so this is a decent time, but it's not enough to move him into the Day 2 mix on the surface. However, Pollard does offer special teams and receiving value, which almost assuredly gets him drafted Day 3. After playing as the 1B behind Day 2 prospect Darrell Henderson in college, we view Pollard as a complementary piece.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 1, 2019, 4:45 PM

An NFL scouting director said, "When [Memphis RB Tony Pollard] came out, I didn't even know who he was, to be honest."

It's fair to call Pollard a low-probability prospect with this statement. Pollard (6'0/210) was overshadowed by the more athletic Darrell Henderson at Memphis and he didn't stand out at the NFL Scouting Combine, so he's either going to be a Day 3 selection or an undrafted free agent. Pollard will have to carve out a role as a special teamer to make the 53-man roster.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 11, 2019, 8:47 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hears that Memphis RB Tony Pollard ran the 40-yard dash in the low 4.4's during his pro day.

Pauline passes along note that Pollard was clocked as fast as 4.38 seconds on one watch. 4.38, low 4.4's, regardless of what his actual pro day time might have been, it was a nice improvement on his 4.52-second jaunt at the combine. Pollard offers some nice intrigue as a potential third-down/return game weapon and is a likely Day 3 selection unless a team sneaks him into Day 2 proceedings.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Mar 29, 2019, 1:22 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports that Memphis attempted to convert RB Tony Pollard to wide receiver, but he "struggled handling the route-running at the position."

Pollard (6'0/210) has 104 receptions over three seasons, so this is an odd report. While he's listed as a running back, Pollard is more of a versatile offensive weapon who can occasionally run between the tackles while catching the ball out of the backfield. In addition to offensive duties, Pollard has experience as a returner, so he may find a way onto a 53-man roster because of his versatility.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Mar 30, 2019, 3:32 PM

On the radar.  One of those hybrid players where a good draft slot will matter a ton (a la Samuels in Pitt last year).

Cowboys selected Memphis RB Tony Pollard with the No. 128 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Pollard (6’0/210) turned pro as a redshirt junior after dabbling at slot receiver and changing the pace in Memphis’ backfield behind Darrell Henderson, logging a career 139/941/9 (6.8 YPC) rushing line with 104 catches and averaging 12.4 yards per reception with nine additional scores. With 4.42 speed per his Pro Day results, Pollard particularly made his mark on kick returns, tying an FBS record by bringing back seven to the house in three seasons. Pollard is a wildcard with clear playmaking ability and outstanding versatility who should contribute on special teams immediately.

Apr 27, 2019, 11:22 AM

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said RB Tony Pollard could get "30 plays" in a game.

Here we go again. As if Dallas' overzealous proclamation to get Tavon Austin "a dozen to two dozen" touches per game last year wasn't enough, Jones doubled-down and stated Pollard could get "30 plays" in a game. The rookie out of Memphis is certainly a chess piece capable of shining on special teams all the while making an impact both in the slot and as a ball-carrier, but even Austin eclipsed 20 snaps only once last year. We'll take the under.

SOURCE: Mike Leslie on Twitter

Apr 29, 2019, 3:59 PM

10 things we learned in Week 1 of Cowboys OTAs: Contract talks, how new additions are fitting in, and more

Excerpt:

9. Tony Pollard is off to an impressive start

The rookie running back made arguably the most impressive play of the day on a long run during team drills near the end of practice. Now, if players were wearing pads and tackling, Pollard wouldn't have turned in the 40-yard touchdown run. But it was noteworthy to see the way he put his athleticism on display, weaving in and out of defenders.

His moves were so impressive that Elliott ran 50 yards down the field after the play to meet Pollard in the end zone, yelling in celebration.

David Helman @HelmanDC

“One of the most exciting players, to me, of this training camp.” - Dak, on Tony Pollard. Says Pollard isn’t just dynamic, but smart and on top of his assignments #cowboyswire

Per Rotoworld

Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones believes fourth-round RB Tony Pollard is capable of "carrying the load" for Dallas.

Pollard has been the talk of Cowboys training camp, taking full advantage of Ezekiel Elliott's absence. He only played the first series in Saturday's preseason opener, perhaps as a way to limit his exposure heading into the regular season. "We know he's inordinately understanding of what he does and can do," said Jones. "We know he's capable of, if he really needs to, carrying the load." The Cowboys are still counting on Elliott returning from his holdout at some point, but if his contract standoff bleeds into the regular season, don't be surprised if Pollard ascends to workhorse status.

Per Rotoworld

Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones believes fourth-round RB Tony Pollard is capable of "carrying the load" for Dallas.

Pollard has been the talk of Cowboys training camp, taking full advantage of Ezekiel Elliott's absence. He only played the first series in Saturday's preseason opener, perhaps as a way to limit his exposure heading into the regular season. "We know he's inordinately understanding of what he does and can do," said Jones. "We know he's capable of, if he really needs to, carrying the load." The Cowboys are still counting on Elliott returning from his holdout at some point, but if his contract standoff bleeds into the regular season, don't be surprised if Pollard ascends to workhorse status.
Meh. This is all just nonsense talk to make Zeke feel urgency to report.

Per Rotoworld

I'm not convinced Pollard is the back up to own.  I believe Weber could be the best RB to handcuff to Zeke.

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

People who have been to Dallas Cowboys training camp have come away very impressed with 4th round pick Tony Pollard of Memphis.  Someone at camp made the comparison to Alvin Kamara.

I'm not convinced Pollard is the back up to own.  I believe Weber could be the best RB to handcuff to Zeke.
There have been a few roster projections, that suggest Weber isn't a lock to make the team.

ETA: Though obviously his chances would go up if Elliott is still holding out by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what?
I've never seen Pollard play and watched most of Weber's games (son graduated from OSU).  Pollard has the draft advantage however.  If everything turns sour on Zeke  I too believe Pollard gets the first crack at it, but he's not a slam dunk over Weber long term  is all I'm saying.   And by long term concerning these two players I mean then entire 2019 season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyU said:
I've never seen Pollard play and watched most of Weber's games (son graduated from OSU).  Pollard has the draft advantage however.  If everything turns sour on Zeke  I too believe Pollard gets the first crack at it, but he's not a slam dunk over Weber long term  is all I'm saying.   And by long term concerning these two players I mean then entire 2019 season. 
If Zeke doesn’t play I think Morris will get the early down work. Maybe even a mix of Morris - Weber.

I don’t think they’ll have a startable RB for FF unfortunately 

By startable I don’t mean no one is going to score FF pts in their backfield, I just don’t think we are going to know who it is before it happens 

Tony Pollard started the Cowboys' second preseason game and rushed five times for 42 yards and one touchdown.

He also caught his lone target for a nine-yard pickup. Pollard was the engine of the offense on the opening drive with the Dak Prescott group, picking up chunk gains every time he touched the ball before capping the series off with a 14-yard TD run after starting it with a 15-yard gain. Ezekiel Elliott was spotted on a plane back to the Dallas area this weekend, so his holdout could possibly be coming to a close soon. However, Pollard's stock just continues to soar while Zeke is away.

Aug 18, 2019, 11:58 AM ET

Josh Norris @JoshNorris

Tony Pollard has made the most of his preseason opportunities, and fantasy players are taking notice Since August 1, he's up 64 spots overall. Current ADP of 136 as the RB53 #Cowboys

Link

Had this guy college fantasy team last two years.

He was used everywhere.. his position would be "weapon".  WR, RB, Returns... he got the ball every way imaginable.

Decisive and balanced, clearly confident and patient attacking defenses.

Big fan.  :thumbup:

Link

Had this guy college fantasy team last two years.

He was used everywhere.. his position would be "weapon".  WR, RB, Returns... he got the ball every way imaginable.

Decisive and balanced, clearly confident and patient attacking defenses.

Big fan.  :thumbup:
Unfortunately for Pollard when/if Zeke comes back the main area he’ll be used is on the bench.

matuski said:
I feel like he may have earned and continue to earn a whole lot more than the likes of say Rod Smith.  :shrug:
he just needs to show it on the field. if Jerry likes what he sees then Zeke's going to see his snap count pared down.

If Zeke doesn’t play I think Morris will get the early down work. Maybe even a mix of Morris - Weber.

I don’t think they’ll have a startable RB for FF unfortunately 
I’m not calling you out specifically ... but I bet if you went back to a year ago today, you could find at least one post on FBG about the Steelers’ backfield if Bell missed time that was almost a carbon copy of this sentence.

Both teams have top-5 offensive lines. Whoever is getting the work behind them is - almost by definition - in consideration as a fantasy starter.

Mid-round picks are all about upside. It’s worth taking a shot on Pollard for that reason alone.

I’m not calling you out specifically ... but I bet if you went back to a year ago today, you could find at least one post on FBG about the Steelers’ backfield if Bell missed time that was almost a carbon copy of this sentence.

Both teams have top-5 offensive lines. Whoever is getting the work behind them is - almost by definition - in consideration as a fantasy starter.

Mid-round picks are all about upside. It’s worth taking a shot on Pollard for that reason alone.
Also Weber has been working well behind Pollard and hasn't impressed, and Alf at this stage is really just depth. I don't think it would be any sort of real committee situation if Zeke isn't there. 

Yeah, I’m not saying Pollard isn’t worth a later rd draft pick . I just think they will use rbbc, and it’s going to be hard to start any of them 

I could be wrong, happens all the time

For me, yes. Some value as a handcuff but unless you have a ton of roster space gotta believe there are better uses for that spot.  I’ll be dropping for sure if EE signs this week. 

It it was worth a shot given the Bell situation and Gordon’s holdout but doesn’t seem like this one will pay off. 

I’d hold for a few weeks.  camp holdouts have a bit of an injury-risk in my mind.  moreso than others.

For me, yes. Some value as a handcuff but unless you have a ton of roster space gotta believe there are better uses for that spot.  I’ll be dropping for sure if EE signs this week. 

It it was worth a shot given the Bell situation and Gordon’s holdout but doesn’t seem like this one will pay off. 
Any non-Zeke owners holding Pollard?

Tough. I've got a couple of lotto tickets in M. Sanders, J. Hill, and J. Jackson. Kinda need to take some shots at WR.

Users who are viewing this thread