Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc)


Recommended Posts

It is sad that for a hobby I have loved for 30 years and I wanted it to be popular, but now I can't wait for the other shoe to drop and be able to actually buy from stores again. .

I did a box break on Hoops the other night and like I thought before, those breakers have to be taking a loss or just hoping to break even on that product.. This is not a strong rookie class as it stands--it could produce some stars later on, but if centers on Ball and that is about it. I got into a two box break for $16 for my Nuggets. I got 2x Nnaji and 2x Hampton RC's and a Hampton insert. Good enough for me. I would never pay $25-$30 a pack for that product. 

Edited by Courtjester
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://imgur.com/a/w0hTmh3 In case you guys want an idea   I bought these cards all for a few bucks a piece online as they are all in poor condition. Made this for my office at work. A

https://imgur.com/a/Rk3fcR9 Pick 2 is what 600k cards looks like...lol...basement has another ~250k   @Courtjester 1st pick is 2 McDyess cards i just found that are a bit different

I used to collect a ton as a kid.  Around the same 10-16 age range.  Most of my stuff is from 1988-1995 or so.  I also used to go to a lot of auctions with my Dad and gathered up a bunch of '60's - ea

5 hours ago, Courtjester said:

It is sad that for a hobby I have loved for 30 years and I wanted it to be popular, but now I can't wait for the other shoe to drop and be able to actually buy from stores again. .

I did a box break on Hoops the other night and like I thought before, those breakers have to be taking a loss or just hoping to break even on that product.. This is not a strong rookie class as it stands--it could produce some stars later on, but if centers on Ball and that is about it. I got into a two box break for $16 for my Nuggets. I got 2x Nnaji and 2x Hampton RC's and a Hampton insert. Good enough for me. I would never pay $25-$30 a pack for that product. 

Many are going on eBay, buy it now $60-80/blaster box.  People are nuts.  I totally have to rethink how to collect now, just going to buy master sets until the bubble bursts.  It certainly isn’t growing the hobby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FairWarning said:

Look at the prices on here.  These guys are pretty reputable also, given a lot of business to.  https://www.blowoutcards.com/  Who can afford this?

I picked up a few collections over the last 18 months which now totals over 1M cards. I sell lots of about 10-15k cards for $40 locally just to move volume. Most of it I haven't even looked though and I'll throw in some sets with each lot.

Quite a few people have told they'd rather spend $40 and have a weekends worth of fun sorting than spending $50 on 2-3 packs.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, comfortably numb said:

I picked up a few collections over the last 18 months which now totals over 1M cards. I sell lots of about 10-15k cards for $40 locally just to move volume. Most of it I haven't even looked though and I'll throw in some sets with each lot.

Quite a few people have told they'd rather spend $40 and have a weekends worth of fun sorting than spending $50 on 2-3 packs.

I could never justify paying that for new packs.  I just saw on FB marketplace here  people selling 1 blaster box and a hanger pack for the low low price of $100.  Really?   I'm pretty concerned what a Heritage master set will cost this year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

I could never justify paying that for new packs.  I just saw on FB marketplace here  people selling 1 blaster box and a hanger pack for the low low price of $100.  Really?   I'm pretty concerned what a Heritage master set will cost this year.  

Yep. I haven't got into any new stuff. Maybe when I unload most of my stuff to a more manageable number I can mess with some stuff here or there but people are paying for.....anything right now.

I had/have a few hundred sets. I would throw in 90 baseball topps/donruss/fleer/score as throw ins to deals basically counting them at $5sets. 

Yesterday I opened the 90 score pulled out the Bo Jackson football/baseball black and white card listed it for $25 and sold within 8min. (I must have sold about 7 of those last summer when the market was.....hot)

Now I'm opening up 90 sets and pulling cards to get graded...lol

90 topps griffey psa 10 can sell for 500-800

Upper Deck psa 10 200-300

Worst case they grade 8/9 or when I get them back in the late summer prices come back down but having fun in the mean time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

Yep. I haven't got into any new stuff. Maybe when I unload most of my stuff to a more manageable number I can mess with some stuff here or there but people are paying for.....anything right now.

I had/have a few hundred sets. I would throw in 90 baseball topps/donruss/fleer/score as throw ins to deals basically counting them at $5sets. 

Yesterday I opened the 90 score pulled out the Bo Jackson football/baseball black and white card listed it for $25 and sold within 8min. (I must have sold about 7 of those last summer when the market was.....hot)

Now I'm opening up 90 sets and pulling cards to get graded...lol

90 topps griffey psa 10 can sell for 500-800

Upper Deck psa 10 200-300

Worst case they grade 8/9 or when I get them back in the late summer prices come back down but having fun in the mean time. 

If you come across some of the cheaper inserts and parallels, I may be interested from 1990 on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shuke said:

If you're putting any team sets together I'll take some Reds.

 

Oh man I pulled lots of Reds stuff together for some lady in OH.

Any specific years?

I'm playing with my cards all weekend listing and sorting for people. I can keep an eye out.

I have about 9 people who I pull stuff for. Pretty funny. Some guys wants any Cecil Fielder....so I have a small mountain for him

Chipper jones guy.

Any Red Sox up to 1977

Error/variation guy

Dominique Wilkins guy

Brian Bosworth guy :shrug:

Mascot card guy is funny 

Anyhow....ill keep an eye out

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 1:25 PM, comfortably numb said:

Oh man I pulled lots of Reds stuff together for some lady in OH.

Any specific years?

I'm playing with my cards all weekend listing and sorting for people. I can keep an eye out.

I have about 9 people who I pull stuff for. Pretty funny. Some guys wants any Cecil Fielder....so I have a small mountain for him

Chipper jones guy.

Any Red Sox up to 1977

Error/variation guy

Dominique Wilkins guy

Brian Bosworth guy :shrug:

Mascot card guy is funny 

Anyhow....ill keep an eye out

Nothing in particular.  Where are you pulling these from?  Breaking down complete sets?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Capella said:

Went through some of my cards I’ve been lugging around for 30 years. Lot of Ruben Sierra and Kevin Elster cards. Guess I have to keep working. 

You mean I can’t retire on my Gregg Jeffries and Mark Grace rookies?

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The markets has just exploded the last two months, it’s insane and unsustainable. I am selling as much as I can on eBay. Cards that wouldn’t get bids even two months ago now have multiple bids. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone ever come across these baseball cards in a can from Pinnacle from 1997? What a weird decision to put baseball cards in a can. Each can has 10 cards inside. Someone is selling a set of 12 for $50. Thought they may be worth a flyer. 

Any value in purchasing and opening them or should I buy and hold?

Or just skip them altogether because they are stupid and don't have any intrinsic value?

Baseball Cards in a Can

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Has anyone ever come across these baseball cards in a can from Pinnacle from 1997? What a weird decision to put baseball cards in a can. Each can has 10 cards inside. Someone is selling a set of 12 for $50. Thought they may be worth a flyer. 

Any value in purchasing and opening them or should I buy and hold?

Or just skip them altogether because they are stupid and don't have any intrinsic value?

Baseball Cards in a Can

Never seen them.

I wouldn't bother.

Are there any good rookies in that 97 set?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Certified basketball just came out--$450-$500 a box. 50 cards total with two autos. Along with Hoops, this used to be the product that kids could afford. It is a low end product. Now at 5 cards a pack--you are basically paying over $8.50 a card and most will be commons and not worth .50. Crazy times....crazy times....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Has anyone ever come across these baseball cards in a can from Pinnacle from 1997? What a weird decision to put baseball cards in a can. Each can has 10 cards inside. Someone is selling a set of 12 for $50. Thought they may be worth a flyer. 

Any value in purchasing and opening them or should I buy and hold?

Or just skip them altogether because they are stupid and don't have any intrinsic value?

Baseball Cards in

1 hour ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Has anyone ever come across these baseball cards in a can from Pinnacle from 1997? What a weird decision to put baseball cards in a can. Each can has 10 cards inside. Someone is selling a set of 12 for $50. Thought they may be worth a flyer. 

Any value in purchasing and opening them or should I buy and hold?

Or just skip them altogether because they are stupid and don't have any intrinsic value?

Baseball Cards in a Can

a Can

I remember them, they were made for hockey also.  The problem with unopened from that era is they had the high-gloss finish.  If you open them, it could be a brick of cards stuck together.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, comfortably numb said:

Are there any good rookies in that 97 set?

No rookies in there but apparently the chase card is the Ken Griffey Jr.  Diamond Edition. It's a white whale for any KG collectors out there. I ended up getting them for $3 each ($36 in total) so it's a flyer but I'll just hang onto them and see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

No rookies in there but apparently the chase card is the Ken Griffey Jr.  Diamond Edition. It's a white whale for any KG collectors out there. I ended up getting them for $3 each ($36 in total) so it's a flyer but I'll just hang onto them and see what happens.

Ahhh

In that case...then there is a purpose!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hoos First said:

Supposedly PSA is raising their prices later this week. Wonder how/if that will change things. 

A new company will step up. One with a big company sponsorship offering cheaper grading and at the end of the day, us collectors will  get screwed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hoos First said:

Supposedly PSA is raising their prices later this week. Wonder how/if that will change things. 

I think they have to at this point to try and drive down the waiting list times :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started getting back into this a little bit within the last year or so after heavily collecting in the late 80's.  I used to buy a couple of NFL blaster boxes for my kids every once in a while over the years when you could get them at retail.  I'd buy a couple boxes and give packs away to kids as prizes when they filled out their bingo cards at our Superbowl party, etc.

I was cleaning out the basement and going through old cards I had including 3 x 5,000 card boxes that were full of mostly 87-88-89 Topps commons (at the time).  Spent some time sorting through those to find any Glavine / Maddox / Johnson rookies and ended up with about 10-20 and the rest of the cards just went into recycling.

I don't know if the hobby just started overcorrecting for the overproduction from that time period with all these limited numbered cards?  Or maybe there was less demand so they had to tighten up supply and this was the way to do it?  But seems like with Covid and everybody having extra time on their hands people started looking into their old hobbies and demand jumped up again and the prices went up with it.

In the basement cleanout I sold off some old non-card collectibles while the collectibles market is hot and made around $6,000.  I took about 10% of that and have been using it to play around a bit in the card market again.  The kids and I have been more into football so have been buying the cheapest boxes (Donruss Blasters) so we could open up for fun.  After doing a few and not really getting many hits I just started buying boxes to hold.  Seems like the boxes are worth more than the cards you get out of them.

I had even bought a 2017 Donruss football blaster to get a piece of the Mahomes hype for about $150, I think they doubled to around $300 since I picked it up a couple months ago.  There's a good chance if I open it, I won't get a Mahomes and will lose $ on the purchase so probably better to hold and sell later to the card gamblers.  It's like trading for draft picks instead of players, people value the potential more than the cards.

I'm thinking the same thing with 2020 Donruss football blasters.  I think there's a reasonable chance one of the QB's or WR's could hit and drive the price up more.  (Justin Herbert's been good for that already, hopefully Burrow can come back strong too after some have forgotten about him after the injury, who knows with Tua at this point or even Hurts, etc)  I've been keeping an eye on eBay and buying boxes that go under the average selling price, targeting around $30-$35 shipped.  (Better deals if you buy 2-3 in a lot.)  If they don't hit, than could always just sell anyway or open up later with the kids.  I doubt they'll go down much in price unless the whole hobby dries up again.

I've done a few breaks but have yet to even have anything sent to me, just haven't gotten any hits.  I've done them on Clubhouse Breaks because they're pretty easy to use and seem to have a good variety of products and break methods without going overboard.  But I'm starting to realize I'm probably wasting money on these breaks (and opening boxes) instead of just buying the cards I want.

I started just picking up rookies from the 2020 Donruss football set in the canvas variation on eBay just because they're a little rarer than base but not numbered so they're not super expensive to collect.  Gives me something to collect and keep an eye on to see if any of these guys / cards hit over the next few years.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Yeah, that part sucks. I bit the bullet and bought a couple of lower end boxes on eBay for mine for Xmas. Our Target carries cards but all they ever have there is Magic the Gathering and Nascar. NBA and NFL are constantly empty shelves, thanks to hoarders. I'm seeing reports online that a lot of Targets are putting signs out with limits on purchases, but if nobody is monitoring all they have to do is leave and come back in, or send someone else in with their card.  I've seen a few posts showing that cards were now only available at the customer service desk, with limits in place. Sad that it came to that, but...supply and demand I suppose. 

Yup, looked at my Target and shelves are basically bare. And there are signs indicated limits on what you can purchase

The guy at the sports shop I went to said there was a local Target that had to start getting armed security to assist in delivery and stocking of new product because people were not only rushing the shelves once stocked, but there were a few instances of the deliveries being stolen at gunpoint.

I think I'll wait a year or so to see if the pendulum starts swinging the other way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vegas Trip said:

 

But I'm starting to realize I'm probably wasting money on these breaks (and opening boxes) instead of just buying the cards I want.

 

Yep, that's where I am now. Breaks were fun as you try to chase something big but after spending a couple hundred bucks I realized that I could have used that money to buy some cards I really wanted. Oh well. Consider a $300 lesson. 

I'll still jump in on one every once in a while but I have low expectations when I do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

PSA price increases out

Basically doubled

Lower minimum 

Higher allowable declared value 199 to 499

Personally I think they are a scam.  I’m not in that market, but like how BGS grades.  I think it’s Important to know how they determine the grade, BGS puts it on the label.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, nirad3 said:

Yup, looked at my Target and shelves are basically bare. And there are signs indicated limits on what you can purchase

The guy at the sports shop I went to said there was a local Target that had to start getting armed security to assist in delivery and stocking of new product because people were not only rushing the shelves once stocked, but there were a few instances of the deliveries being stolen at gunpoint.

I think I'll wait a year or so to see if the pendulum starts swinging the other way.

There is a Meijer about 45 miles from me that actually had a blaster box and two of the hanger boxes of 2021 topps baseball.  Problem is someone took a knife and took the cards out of them.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are other grading services, right?  How does PSA pricing compare to others?  How about the turnaround times?  And does a PSA graded card sell at a premium compared to the other services?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SFBayDuck said:

There are other grading services, right?  How does PSA pricing compare to others?  How about the turnaround times?  And does a PSA graded card sell at a premium compared to the other services?

PSA sells for 20%-30% higher the 2nd best which is BGS imo.

Not sure what other guys are charging right now or turnaround times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Personally I think they are a scam.  I’m not in that market, but like how BGS grades.  I think it’s Important to know how they determine the grade, BGS puts it on the label.

I think there is a % of scamming going on not only with PSA but with all of them.

I love how BGS grades and 20 years ago assumed they're were gonna blow PSA away and their card prices reflected that. 20 years later PSA is a tier above BGS...and prices reflect that as well.

Really surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

PSA sells for 20%-30% higher the 2nd best which is BGS imo.

Not sure what other guys are charging right now or turnaround times. 

Here’s an interesting thread from another forum about PSA.  My motto is “buy the card, not the grade”.  
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

Yep totally understand. 

I like to buy/sell a lot of cards so PSA commands the most resell value.

 

I just can’t buy something I can see is altered and they just pass it like it’s a 2020 card.  That is SU fraud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

Totally 

I just assume they all do/done some dirt.

And it seems to be the big auction houses and Probstein.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

And it seems to be the big auction houses and Probstein.  

Yea, I mean any place that does appraisals/certification and such are ripe for nefarious actions.

So many places have had scandals big and small.

PSA will eventually have a huge scandal come out I assume...and probably be fine afterwards. 

There is just too much $ to be made with little oversight. Lenient grading for a good customer, swapping cards for a better customer,  trimming etc...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

Yea, I mean any place that does appraisals/certification and such are ripe for nefarious actions.

So many places have had scandals big and small.

PSA will eventually have a huge scandal come out I assume...and probably be fine afterwards. 

There is just too much $ to be made with little oversight. Lenient grading for a good customer, swapping cards for a better customer,  trimming etc...

 

They just got sold, from their site- https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/10345/psa-customer-update-march-2021?fbclid=IwAR0xLJMzUz10rmbrewKFoDfc7CSFNQi7Crs3fUHDO-Golscuxs37nAMHU1c

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, comfortably numb said:

PSA price increases out

Basically doubled

Lower minimum 

Higher allowable declared value 199 to 499

I had about 50 commons for the 1986 Fleer basketball ready to send in.  Had the last done maybe 10-14 days ago.  Lazy and didn't get it sent in and now I'm not sure they are worth sending at $20 a shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shula-holic said:

I had about 50 commons for the 1986 Fleer basketball ready to send in.  Had the last done maybe 10-14 days ago.  Lazy and didn't get it sent in and now I'm not sure they are worth sending at $20 a shot.

Ha! Me too

I just picked up a large partial set of 86F with lots of graded cards and some ungraded. The ungraded I plan to send in about 30-50. They look too good to not try....but yea...at the 20 price point it starts to get too close to whether or not it's worth it.

They definitely succeeded on getting the people to just grade anything. I was planning on opening some sets and taking a shot on cheap rookies that 9s would sell for 20-30 and 10s 100-200....now...I don't think I bother with a lot of them.

But the 86 Fleer...I have tons of 8,9s and a few 10s...I have to take a shot as some of these look like 9s at least....plus how iconic it is.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, comfortably numb said:

Ha! Me too

I just picked up a large partial set of 86F with lots of graded cards and some ungraded. The ungraded I plan to send in about 30-50. They look too good to not try....but yea...at the 20 price point it starts to get too close to whether or not it's worth it.

They definitely succeeded on getting the people to just grade anything. I was planning on opening some sets and taking a shot on cheap rookies that 9s would sell for 20-30 and 10s 100-200....now...I don't think I bother with a lot of them.

But the 86 Fleer...I have tons of 8,9s and a few 10s...I have to take a shot as some of these look like 9s at least....plus how iconic it is.

These were the pick of the litter out of a 400 count NM-MT type lot.  I've sold all the others off except a 109 count starter lot.  I sold all my dupes along the way to build my PSA 9 set.  I sat on starting the stickers too long.  I got the base set finished and have 14 10's in it, but the sticker set I only got 4 out of the 11 and only 2 in PSA 9.  I'm pretty sure they are still worth grading because the raw commons won't bring over $5 and in PSA 8-9 they are all $35+ but it's just the principle now of paying the $20 vs $12.  $8 per unit on a $35 item is huge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shula-holic said:

These were the pick of the litter out of a 400 count NM-MT type lot.  I've sold all the others off except a 109 count starter lot.  I sold all my dupes along the way to build my PSA 9 set.  I sat on starting the stickers too long.  I got the base set finished and have 14 10's in it, but the sticker set I only got 4 out of the 11 and only 2 in PSA 9.  I'm pretty sure they are still worth grading because the raw commons won't bring over $5 and in PSA 8-9 they are all $35+ but it's just the principle now of paying the $20 vs $12.  $8 per unit on a $35 item is huge.

So awesome 

I have to get a count on what i have.

Probably 50 9s 4 10s a few bgs 9.5

 a bunch of 8s some 8.5s

About 15 from other companies. 

 

You're making a psa 9 set??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

So awesome 

I have to get a count on what i have.

Probably 50 9s 4 10s a few bgs 9.5

 a bunch of 8s some 8.5s

About 15 from other companies. 

 

You're making a psa 9 set??

I made a 9 and better set.  Just finished it, #66 Maurice Lucas was the last holdout.  Took me up to #48 on the PSA registry set rankings for the 86 Fleer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...