Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc)

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everything that is being produced right now is suspect as far as long-term investment potential. There is a reason we look back and call the junk wax era what it was.and were it not for the pa

https://imgur.com/a/w0hTmh3 In case you guys want an idea   I bought these cards all for a few bucks a piece online as they are all in poor condition. Made this for my office at work. A

https://imgur.com/a/Rk3fcR9 Pick 2 is what 600k cards looks like...lol...basement has another ~250k   @Courtjester 1st pick is 2 McDyess cards i just found that are a bit different

I don;t understand the logic of bidding on these, unless these are shill bids or something. Looking at the bid history on those items--a lot of the bids are by people with 1 and 3 and even 0 feedback. The person who won that $61 box of Hoops has a 1 as his feedback--I bet it is a shill bidder set up by the buyer to drive sales.

However, looking at Ebay, people are just bidding like crazy for the Ball RC even in the raw state. I weep for the hobby. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

I don;t understand the logic of bidding on these, unless these are shill bids or something. Looking at the bid history on those items--a lot of the bids are by people with 1 and 3 and even 0 feedback. The person who won that $61 box of Hoops has a 1 as his feedback--I bet it is a shill bidder set up by the buyer to drive sales.

However, looking at Ebay, people are just bidding like crazy for the Ball RC even in the raw state. I weep for the hobby. 

If I were selling on eBay, I would block every bidder with a feedback <10.  There is a lot of new money coming into the market, and just don’t have a clue - or don’t care.  Even more importantly now, if I can’t snipe it, I’m not buying it.  I’m not letting these people dictate prices, then cancel at the last second. 

So I ventured into my boxes of childhood junk wax type cards and got tens of thousands down to a few thousand I guess. Kept all of the HOF types and anything that seems to be worth at least a few bucks. Looking for recommendations on organization and storage.

Does organizing by player make the most sense? Or by within a set?

Is it worth penny sleeves for all or would 9 card holders in binders be fine for the less valuable cards? There are probably 25 Mike Mussina cards that seem to mostly be worth like $2 ungraded. I'm trying to find the most efficient way to store everything while maintaining quality. 

I have some sealed and unsealed factory sets. I haven't broken them down yet, but I was thinking of breaking ones like unsealed 92 donruss cards and just pulling out the 10-15 cards worth something from it. There doesn't seem to be value in unsealed full sets right?

I know I asked about grading before, but I'm thinking for now to just set aside cards that may be worth grading (Griffey, Shaq rookies, some Jordans, etc) and see what the process looks like once this craziness dies down. I'm seeing random PSA 10s of Nolan Ryans for like $10 so getting them graded at $20 is pointless right now. 

Any advice is welcome here. 

33 minutes ago, Gamma1210 said:

So I ventured into my boxes of childhood junk wax type cards and got tens of thousands down to a few thousand I guess. Kept all of the HOF types and anything that seems to be worth at least a few bucks. Looking for recommendations on organization and storage.

Does organizing by player make the most sense? Or by within a set?

Is it worth penny sleeves for all or would 9 card holders in binders be fine for the less valuable cards? There are probably 25 Mike Mussina cards that seem to mostly be worth like $2 ungraded. I'm trying to find the most efficient way to store everything while maintaining quality. 

I have some sealed and unsealed factory sets. I haven't broken them down yet, but I was thinking of breaking ones like unsealed 92 donruss cards and just pulling out the 10-15 cards worth something from it. There doesn't seem to be value in unsealed full sets right?

I know I asked about grading before, but I'm thinking for now to just set aside cards that may be worth grading (Griffey, Shaq rookies, some Jordans, etc) and see what the process looks like once this craziness dies down. I'm seeing random PSA 10s of Nolan Ryans for like $10 so getting them graded at $20 is pointless right now. 

Any advice is welcome here. 

Personally 

I would leave sets as is unless yoy are grading 1 or 2 specific cards.

My grading standard is if the card in a 8 can sell for 35...or a 10 can fetch 150-200 I will give it a shot. Probably not the most finacially sound strategy but fun over money for me....at the moment. 

Small caveat, with cards that may sell for 150-200 range in a 10...im in a bit of a holding pattern with PSA...meaning...im not sure that when they open up in July, that they will not raise the prices again causing a strategy shift for me.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, comfortably numb said:

Personally 

My grading standard is if the card in a 8 can sell for 35...or a 10 can fetch 150-200 I will give it a shot. Probably not the most finacially sound strategy but fun over money for me....at the moment. 

Small caveat, with cards that may sell for 150-200 range in a 10...im in a bit of a holding pattern with PSA...meaning...im not sure that when they open up in July, that they will not raise the prices again causing a strategy shift for me.

Can't wait to see their line at the National in Chicago this year (if it's on).  Personally I think they should move it to McCormick Place as they can hold more with the social distancing.  It'll be a loooooooong wait to get in otherwise.

I'm doing the NT break on Layton with a friend tomorrow,  random teams #3 and #4. It'll be under Chris R. Obviously highly unlikely we'll hit anything but I have a decent bonus check coming so I can afford a little gamble. 

Also. Last week I pulled a Burrow redemption Rookie Ticket Swatches Variation autograph out of a $35 Contenders blaster I got off eBay. That was a lot of fun lol. 

• Like 2
On 4/9/2021 at 2:44 PM, FairWarning said:

I think the crash will happen sooner rather than later.   The public offering of Topps stock may be the nail in the coffin.   As a master set collector of Heritage, I'm not paying $6-700 for them.  What makes it worse is there are few even offered.  All of this is sitting unopened by hoarderslooking for the big score.  There have been so many scams in the hobby lately, its just sickening.  I've been a buyer since 1971 also.  I'll just work on certain Topps Now issues, the topps heritage greatest moments series 2 from last year, and my signed 1984 Donruss set.  Soon enough those CC bills wil come due, and the sheep will be slaughtered.  

You should start collecting the 57 Topps football set. Much simpler. 

9 hours ago, CR69 said:

I'm doing the NT break on Layton with a friend tomorrow,  random teams #3 and #4. It'll be under Chris R. Obviously highly unlikely we'll hit anything but I have a decent bonus check coming so I can afford a little gamble. 

Also. Last week I pulled a Burrow redemption Rookie Ticket Swatches Variation autograph out of a $35 Contenders blaster I got off eBay. That was a lot of fun lol. 

Awesome! Good luck getting it redeemed, though. I submitted a Justin Jefferson quad relics redemption like 6-7 months ago. Still nothing. It's already done the "do you want to trade this in for something else?" once so far. Nope. I'll wait. 

38 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Awesome! Good luck getting it redeemed, though. I submitted a Justin Jefferson quad relics redemption like 6-7 months ago. Still nothing. It's already done the "do you want to trade this in for something else?" once so far. Nope. I'll wait. 

Have you checked their blog to see if he has signed those cards at least? I was looking for Burrow recently and he's signed a bunch of contenders stuff in the last few weeks but I couldn't find this specific one. There are some crazy old ones on there though, I saw Baker had recently signed 2018 product. So I wonder how much of it is Panini's fault vs just being dependant upon athletes that have better things to do. 

7 minutes ago, CR69 said:

Have you checked their blog to see if he has signed those cards at least? I was looking for Burrow recently and he's signed a bunch of contenders stuff in the last few weeks but I couldn't find this specific one. There are some crazy old ones on there though, I saw Baker had recently signed 2018 product. So I wonder how much of it is Panini's fault vs just being dependant upon athletes that have better things to do. 

I did look a while back, but I don't recall seeing any list like that.  I know there was at least one of these that got signed, because I saw one sold on eBay, which is what let me to buy this redemption. It was way underpriced. :lol: maybe that's why. 

1 hour ago, ConstruxBoy said:

You should start collecting the 57 Topps football set. Much simpler. 

I have most of the set already.  

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

I did look a while back, but I don't recall seeing any list like that.  I know there was at least one of these that got signed, because I saw one sold on eBay, which is what let me to buy this redemption. It was way underpriced. :lol: maybe that's why. 

It's a pain because there isn't a master list, but here they are https://blog.paniniamerica.net/tag/redemption-cards-2/

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, CR69 said:

It's a pain because there isn't a master list, but here they are https://blog.paniniamerica.net/tag/redemption-cards-2/

ah yeah, that's what I had found before (I believe they post that on Twitter each week as well). I hadn't checked in a couple of months now, so just ran through the last 5-6. Nope. lol 

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Nice! I'm sort of trying to do it but missing most of the rookies. 

Yes, they have basically doubled this year.  A nice looking and affordable set is the 60 Topps Football.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

ah yeah, that's what I had found before (I believe they post that on Twitter each week as well). I hadn't checked in a couple of months now, so just ran through the last 5-6. Nope. lol 

Dang that sucks. The good thing on mine is I'm a big fan of Burrow and will keep the card but if it was someone I didn't like or believe in I'd just sell the redemption lol. 

23 hours ago, CR69 said:

Just watched these -- that's a pretty awesome looking Ke'Shawn Vaughn card you landed! 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, caustic said:

Just watched these -- that's a pretty awesome looking Ke'Shawn Vaughn card you landed! 

Yeah we were stoked to hit anything at all lol! Obviously not the player we were hoping for when we pulled the Bucs lol but we'll take it. Card is up for sale on eBay if you're a fan...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Keshawn-Vaughn-National-Treasures-RPA-Rookie-Patch-Auto-Holo-25-5-COLORS-/154415332947

• Like 1
On 4/2/2021 at 5:04 PM, FairWarning said:

Card 1, Miggy for sure.  Now you almost have to think backwards on these.  There should be a lot of Miggy but it’s card 1 and will be popular.  The Dodgers fans will buy a lot of the  Bellinger cards, so there will be 1000+ made.  You are looking for first cards and under produced HOFers.  Card 2 will be good if he pans out.  

if you are on Facebook, there is a good page for the strategy on these Topps Now community (not the official Topps Now page).  

Good call! Got my 2 Cabreras in this weekend. Just checked sold values and they're going for 18-25 each.

One of them looks to be pristine. To grade or not to grade. lol  Might just sell the other, then I'm freerolling basically with the other one.  

Any of the others look good?

54 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Good call! Got my 2 Cabreras in this weekend. Just checked sold values and they're going for 18-25 each.

One of them looks to be pristine. To grade or not to grade. lol  Might just sell the other, then I'm freerolling basically with the other one.  

Any of the others look good?

I bought 2020 card 235 Corbin Burnes.  There is a couple on ebay for 9.99, may want to grab him.  Print run is only 239.  I also grabbed the 2021 card 76 of him, its a lower print run also.  

• Thanks 1

Topps Now 123 of Tatis Jr may be pretty good.  You can find it on EBay for 5.25/free shipping.  High print run, but you won’t lose on it, that’s for sure.

• Thanks 1
On 4/13/2021 at 2:36 PM, comfortably numb said:

Personally 

Thanks! I'm done with the purge step (kept sets together), now putting in sleeves and organizing by player. What site do you use to determine an 8 will get $35 a 10 $300, etc.? I see there are a lot of paid services but not sure if it is worth it. I'm hoping to have a stack set aside for future grading and just keep the rest in sleeves and store them. 

16 minutes ago, Gamma1210 said:

Thanks! I'm done with the purge step (kept sets together), now putting in sleeves and organizing by player. What site do you use to determine an 8 will get $35 a 10 $300, etc.? I see there are a lot of paid services but not sure if it is worth it. I'm hoping to have a stack set aside for future grading and just keep the rest in sleeves and store them. 

I use the sold items via an ebay search. 

130point.com is a good site as they show qhat best offers are accepted for.

Edited by comfortably numb
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Gamma1210 said:

what @comfortably numb said

130point is great when it is working, but it seems to be down a lot. I think they get a lot of traffic.

for Ebay just search for your item in the search bar, then once the results come up, down the left side (if using website) there are filters you can select with checkboxes. Just check "Sold Items" and it will show you the recent sales of items like yours

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FairWarning said:

I would think if/when these grading services get caught up, there will be a flood of graded cards on the market.  

yeah, and there is already a large amount of ridiculousness :lol: I see stuff like inserts from LAST year.  Not serial numbered, not prizms, just a plain old insert. But hey it's a PSA 9! What I do is usually make a stack of ones I think would be valuable if graded. Then go back through that stack to scrutinize them for grading flaws. I have about 4 or 5 cards that have made the cut currently, that I think I will be sending in. I think I'm going to give StarStock a try and submit for grading through them. 

Edited by Nathan R. Jessep
4 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

what @comfortably numb said

130point is great when it is working, but it seems to be down a lot. I think they get a lot of traffic.

for Ebay just search for your item in the search bar, then once the results come up, down the left side (if using website) there are filters you can select with checkboxes. Just check "Sold Items" and it will show you the recent sales of items like yours

Along these lines, is there a place you can see historical ebay price data? I was trying to see what certain items sold for before this bubble began, but ebay's Sold Items page only goes back 90 days -- and there doesn't seem to be a public archive anywhere on the site. I tried to see if 130point offered anything like this, but it's down right now. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, caustic said:

Along these lines, is there a place you can see historical ebay price data? I was trying to see what certain items sold for before this bubble began, but ebay's Sold Items page only goes back 90 days -- and there doesn't seem to be a public archive anywhere on the site. I tried to see if 130point offered anything like this, but it's down right now. :lol: 

lol go figure! I think they only show the last 100 listings on 130point

Hmm, I haven't run across such a listing, but would be interesting. Might be a business idea! 

• Thanks 1

I have no desire to get back into the trading card game but reading some of these posts are super interesting as this is happening elsewhere in the collecting markets.  Wonder when the music will stop.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:16 AM, Redwes25 said:

I have no desire to get back into the trading card game but reading some of these posts are super interesting as this is happening elsewhere in the collecting markets.  Wonder when the music will stop.

When there is no more value to be had.  They just move to the next. 

I think once the backlog of graded cards begin to hit the market, you are going to see a drop in prices-especially in raw cards. For example I think there will be a glut of graded 1990's Michael Jordan cards. These cards are plentiful, but took off when graded. I bet people sent these in to PSA in droves hoping for a quick profit. 

3 hours ago, Courtjester said:

I think once the backlog of graded cards begin to hit the market, you are going to see a drop in prices-especially in raw cards. For example I think there will be a glut of graded 1990's Michael Jordan cards. These cards are plentiful, but took off when graded. I bet people sent these in to PSA in droves hoping for a quick profit. 

Just think of the glut of 2020/2021 cards.  How many come out of a sealed box that isn't a 9 min?

18 hours ago, FairWarning said:

When there is no more value to be had.  They just move to the next. 

I just wonder when that it is.  In stuff I collect some items have had significant increases in value (I collect for pleasure of items) and not really financial gain but tough not to sell when something you bought has increased greatly in value.  Though I do sell stuff when I want to finance a new piece in my collection.    

16 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

I just wonder when that it is.  In stuff I collect some items have had significant increases in value (I collect for pleasure of items) and not really financial gain but tough not to sell when something you bought has increased greatly in value.  Though I do sell stuff when I want to finance a new piece in my collection.    

With some cards, it’s already happening.  eBay sales are a pretty good indicator of demand.   Generally what are you asking about?    I haven’t looked at much for this year, hoping to let the late money get hung, and then panic sell (2021 master set).  Unopened has still been strong, (especially Prizm and anything NBA), but I think there is a thaw on some of the other unopened.

2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

With some cards, it’s already happening.  eBay sales are a pretty good indicator of demand.   Generally what are you asking about?    I haven’t looked at much for this year, hoping to let the late money get hung, and then panic sell (2021 master set).  Unopened has still been strong, (especially Prizm and anything NBA), but I think there is a thaw on some of the other unopened.

No just interested in collector markets generally.   Think we are likely going to be in a correction shortly and who knows what market it hits first.  Of course I said the same thing two years ago....

• Like 1

Sent off three cards to Becket to get sub category grade service. I feel strongly these 3 cards will grade 9 or higher. They are to the naked eye in perfect conditon..so we will see.

1989 Griffey Jr Upper Deck Rookie (from sealed set)

1989 Score Barry Sanders Rookie (from sealed set)

2003 Lebron James Topps Rookie (from the complete set not update or packs) So the one of him in action. Not the one of him in a suit. I have seen the card fetch 6K in a 10. And this card looks immaculate. I cracked open the sealed set two weeks ago and pulled it out (along with Wade, Bosh and Mellow). 

All three of the cards look amazing. 

I have tons and tons of outstanding 1980’s cards in mint condition. Talking Bonds, Mattingly, Bo Jackson, McGwire (the one of him on USA baseball), The Famous Jordan Upper Deck baseball card only available from the 1991 packs, tons of great 80’s rookies and 2nd year cards galore (Maddux, Clemens, Randy Johnson, Biggio, Frank Thomas, Nolan Ryans up they yin yang Bretts) all in near mint to mint condition. I won’t know till they are graded.

I want to wait till PSA opens up because Beckett is 9 months wait for their basic one grade economy service ($20 bucks a card). I have a lot of those $150-$1000 cards if they grade (which they most likely will as I kept them in pristine sleeved condition).

Sat on my collection for a long time.....and the market is crazy right now for 1980’s baseball. Finally!!!!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

No just interested in collector markets generally.   Think we are likely going to be in a correction shortly and who knows what market it hits first.  Of course I said the same thing two years ago....

I think it’s really your basic economics at work in these. I can always spot the newbies in those forums.  They cannot grasp the concept that when values rise, more go on the market. It does affect me some as some things I buy on the cheap will never be that price anymore.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

As of tomorrow, Target will only sell cards online.  Too many problems with the hoarders.

Totally understand them doing this. Even at my store where everyone was polite and things went smoothly, the cards were just taking a silly amount of manpower. Each Friday card event involved the store manager, shift manager, cashier, and security worker standing around the counter and managing the line/product. I imagine they all have better things to do with their time.

It’ll be interesting to see how things go with the online drops, I’m worried that at first the bots are going to dominate even more than they already were. I’m building a collection of LaMelo and Anthony Edwards RCs and was really looking forward to ripping some Optic basketball, so hopefully I can nab a few of those blasters next month. 

Well first break with the new Score tonight. Just want to get my Bronco rookies. Denver drafting Williams in the 2nd round is going to drive the demand up a bit.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, caustic said:

Totally understand them doing this. Even at my store where everyone was polite and things went smoothly, the cards were just taking a silly amount of manpower. Each Friday card event involved the store manager, shift manager, cashier, and security worker standing around the counter and managing the line/product. I imagine they all have better things to do with their time.

It’ll be interesting to see how things go with the online drops, I’m worried that at first the bots are going to dominate even more than they already were. I’m building a collection of LaMelo and Anthony Edwards RCs and was really looking forward to ripping some Optic basketball, so hopefully I can nab a few of those blasters next month. 

From what I heard, someone pulled a gun at one of the targets and that was the end of that.  Now it sucks for collectors, but I love rattling the cages of the trolls at the blowout cards forum.  

• Like 1

Just finished with a 2 box break. I do not feel bad about dropping $22.00 for it as I got 2 Williams and 2 Surtain (RC) . 

This product is not worth $350-$400 a box. One of the "hits"in the first box was an auto Fletcher Cox--the auto in the 2nd box was an auto Mark Brunnel. Let that sink in--you just dropped $400 and your big hit was MARK 'FREAKIN" Brunnel.

Seriously the product was stuffed with a bunch of odd veterans-kind of weird choices. I saw some Fields (RC) and two Lawrence (RC)--they appear to be one a box, but this is a $100--$150 box max. There were packs with literally junk and you know they will be selling around $15.00 to $18.00 a pack. Buyer beware. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

Just finished with a 2 box break. I do not feel bad about dropping $22.00 for it as I got 2 Williams and 2 Surtain (RC) . 

This product is not worth $350-$400 a box. One of the "hits"in the first box was an auto Fletcher Cox--the auto in the 2nd box was an auto Mark Brunnel. Let that sink in--you just dropped $400 and your big hit was MARK 'FREAKIN" Brunnel.

Seriously the product was stuffed with a bunch of odd veterans-kind of weird choices. I saw some Fields (RC) and two Lawrence (RC)--they appear to be one a box, but this is a $100--$150 box max. There were packs with literally junk and you know they will be selling around $15.00 to $18.00 a pack. Buyer beware. 

It doesn’t matter as people will stockpile it at $350-400,for 10 years.  The presses are really cranked up on these though, and it’ll take a year or two beforepeopleget crushed on this,then bow out.  

On 4/29/2021 at 4:37 PM, FairWarning said:

I think it’s really your basic economics at work in these. I can always spot the newbies in those forums.  They cannot grasp the concept that when values rise, more go on the market. It does affect me some as some things I buy on the cheap will never be that price anymore.

You should see how Magic cards are going up.  It's insane, and it's been that way for about a decade now.  I keep waiting for the bubble to burst.  We have little bits of card stock that are worth several thousand dollars, even in played condition.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FairWarning said:

From what I heard, someone pulled a gun at one of the targets and that was the end of that.  Now it sucks for collectors, but I love rattling the cages of the trolls at the blowout cards forum.  

Wait- there's a forum for that?

I was thinking about starting to put togetherness set of 2021 Topps baseball as a reasonable cost option to get my 9 and 7 year old into it. Sound like the right fit? Decent investment potential?

6 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

You should see how Magic cards are going up.  It's insane, and it's been that way for about a decade now.  I keep waiting for the bubble to burst.  We have little bits of card stock that are worth several thousand dollars, even in played condition.

My pop has sealed boxes from mid to late 90s releases that are nuts. I've offered to help him liquidate, but he doesn't need the money. He would have had a sealed box of revised, if not for having a greedy, foolish son.