What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc) (2 Viewers)

I was thinking about starting to put togetherness set of 2021 Topps baseball as a reasonable cost option to get my 9 and 7 year old into it. Sound like the right fit? Decent investment potential?
I think everything that is being produced right now is suspect as far as long-term investment potential. There is a reason we look back and call the junk wax era what it was.and were it not for the pandemic, the prices on a lot of that stuff would have probably remained stagnant. 

I have a feeling (if I live that long) we are going to look back twenty years from now and refer to this as the Covid era and find the stuff that was produced now, minus a few superstar players, was vastly over valued and vastly over-produced. 

I say collect with your kids whatever catches their fancy and gets them involved. My best scam was getting my wife and kids involved in collecting cards (Pokemon, Disney, Xfiles). Every weekend they would "MAKE" me go to the card store so they could buy what they wanted, and it would given me an excuse to further my addiction. 

I think everything that is being produced right now is suspect as far as long-term investment potential. There is a reason we look back and call the junk wax era what it was.and were it not for the pandemic, the prices on a lot of that stuff would have probably remained stagnant. 

I have a feeling (if I live that long) we are going to look back twenty years from now and refer to this as the Covid era and find the stuff that was produced now, minus a few superstar players, was vastly over valued and vastly over-produced. 

I say collect with your kids whatever catches their fancy and gets them involved. My best scam was getting my wife and kids involved in collecting cards (Pokemon, Disney, Xfiles). Every weekend they would "MAKE" me go to the card store so they could buy what they wanted, and it would given me an excuse to further my addiction. 
Which is why I like the Topps Now as a real sleeper with some very short prints.  One that will be a high print, but recommended long term on ebay is Topps Now 208 and 211 of Jarrod Kelenic

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to get groceries today at Meijer, and at one entrance they had a roped off part with a sign at the front "Line for cards starts here, door will open at ___" or something.   Is there some new set that just came out, or is that just them trying to stop people from looting the guy trying to stock the shelves before he gets to them??  It wasn't the door I normally go in, so maybe it has been there for some time.

Went to get groceries today at Meijer, and at one entrance they had a roped off part with a sign at the front "Line for cards starts here, door will open at ___" or something.   Is there some new set that just came out, or is that just them trying to stop people from looting the guy trying to stock the shelves before he gets to them??  It wasn't the door I normally go in, so maybe it has been there for some time.
No, just trying to control the inventory so it’s distributed fairly.

Select football has to be the most egregious offender here. Last month I got a couple blasters from Target and found a bunch of cool stuff inside — a Jordan Love prizm die cut, Justin Herbert base, Joe Burrow certified, and more. At the time it looked like I had pulled ~$300 worth of cards and I was pretty stoked. Each week the prices have fallen further and further as Panini prints the bejeezus out of it. All those hits are maybe worth 80 bucks now, and Target sold another 50,000 megas online this morning.

Select football has to be the most egregious offender here. Last month I got a couple blasters from Target and found a bunch of cool stuff inside — a Jordan Love prizm die cut, Justin Herbert base, Joe Burrow certified, and more. At the time it looked like I had pulled ~$300 worth of cards and I was pretty stoked. Each week the prices have fallen further and further as Panini prints the bejeezus out of it. All those hits are maybe worth 80 bucks now, and Target sold another 50,000 megas online this morning.
So the Bot Bois were busy. 

So the Bot Bois were busy. 
Very. I imagine my odds of scoring a Prizm mega are slim to none at this point. I did get a Bowman blaster this morning though since the bots were much less interested in those. They lasted on the website a whole half hour!  :towelwave:

Very. I imagine my odds of scoring a Prizm mega are slim to none at this point. I did get a Bowman blaster this morning though since the bots were much less interested in those. They lasted on the website a whole half hour!  :towelwave:
I may pass on the National this year because of all of this crap.  

I have around 10 big boxes of cards in my garage from when I collected in the 80s and 90s.  

What's the easiest way to sell baseball cards these days? Is the grading process a PIA?

I don't have Ruth type cards but ones from the 80s/90s (Griffeys and what not).

What's the easiest way to sell baseball cards these days? Is the grading process a PIA?

First glance, you are probably not going to have much value, as the 80s and 90s were over produced. Also, the grading process right now is expensive and takes forever and probably won't bring back in value what you spend on the process.

That said, I would take the cards you think are worth the most and do a search for them on eBay, and see what people are paying for them. Selling them raw (not graded) is probably your best bet.

Grading to PSA is currently closed. I think BGS as well?

Others are out there and not too much of a PIA but a but of a curve to learn and youre looking at 25-45 to grade.

Most would say there are only a dozen or so cards worth grading from that era.

Selling as singles...

Ebay, FB, offerup, Craigslist etc...probably in that order.

Selling as local lot...I would move ebay off the list.

Completed my '20-'21 Donruss basketball rookie set recently -- was pretty cheap since I had already pulled a Lamelo and Edwards from a couple cello packs. I'm also close to finishing an '18-'19 set but I'm missing Luka and Trae Young, the most expensive cards. I bid on a few Trae cards but decided to wait, expecting his prices to take a dive once he got shut down by Philly in the playoffs. What a good bet that was. :bag:  Will probably wait until the offseason to buy those now.

So many good buys on eBay right now now that the market is getting saturated.  
So many basketball ones I want to pick up, but waiting on the playoffs to end. Or trying to. Picked up a sweet Rui PSA 9 the other day. Got my eye on a few football too. Also trying to sell off some to fund these new investments :lol:   Have picked up a few of your Topps Now recs as well, thanks!

So many basketball ones I want to pick up, but waiting on the playoffs to end. Or trying to. Picked up a sweet Rui PSA 9 the other day. Got my eye on a few football too. Also trying to sell off some to fund these new investments :lol:   Have picked up a few of your Topps Now recs as well, thanks!
I've been picking up several Anthony Edwards cards lately -- since he's not in the playoffs and wasn't ROY, people seemed to lose a bit of interest in him. Last week I got an NBA Hoops base of his for $2.50 and a Donruss base for $5. I'm a buyer all day at those prices. Really enjoyed watching him at the end of the season.

I also picked up one of these Lamelo Rookie of the Year inserts locally for $30 -- the very next day he was named ROY and those cards started selling for $80-$100 on ebay. Don't think I'll ever have a card appreciate that quickly again. :lol:  

I've been picking up several Anthony Edwards cards lately -- since he's not in the playoffs and wasn't ROY, people seemed to lose a bit of interest in him. Last week I got an NBA Hoops base of his for $2.50 and a Donruss base for $5. I'm a buyer all day at those prices. Really enjoyed watching him at the end of the season.

I also picked up one of these Lamelo Rookie of the Year inserts locally for $30 -- the very next day he was named ROY and those cards started selling for $80-$100 on ebay. Don't think I'll ever have a card appreciate that quickly again. :lol:  
I have several Edwards that I picked up early last spring. Mostly Prizm Draft picks prizms and some base. Same for Lamelo, thanks to my son "Dad this guy is going to be the best of the Ball brothers." He's been watching them on YouTube for several years now, so I invested some. Already flipped a few to basically pay off my original investment. Now the rest are just gravy. :lol:  

I’m sure there will be a Franco tomorrow if he plays tonight.  It’ll be a high run, but Uber-popular with the flippers. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if there is a print run of 20K on Franco.  A very good chance there will be a limited autgraph also.  Those will sell out instantly.

Bowman Sapphire hobby boxes available* from Topps for $149.99 right now: link

*At least theoretically--the Topps website is absolute garbage and probably won't let you add to cart. And don't refresh too much otherwise you get banned. :lmao:  

several blasters of baseball and a couple football on Target website this AM if anyone is still searching
Prizm basketball came and went in under 10 seconds -- I sped through checkout as fast as I possibly could and didn't get any. Still batting 0.000 on high-end products since Target shifted everything online. 

Target made Contenders Draft Picks football exclusive to RedCard members this morning, which is interesting. I'd like to see this extended to more coveted products, since it seems like a reliable way to beat the bots. Can't create a dozen fake RedCard accounts without doing some actual identity fraud, as far as I know. 

Prizm basketball came and went in under 10 seconds -- I sped through checkout as fast as I possibly could and didn't get any. Still batting 0.000 on high-end products since Target shifted everything online. 

Target made Contenders Draft Picks football exclusive to RedCard members this morning, which is interesting. I'd like to see this extended to more coveted products, since it seems like a reliable way to beat the bots. Can't create a dozen fake RedCard accounts without doing some actual identity fraud, as far as I know. 
Yeah, didn't even see Prizm, or might've tried for some too. What time was that? 

Yeah, didn't even see Prizm, or might've tried for some too. What time was that? 
Was the first thing they dropped, just a little after 7 ET. They seem to restock the most in-demand products first and work their way down to low-end stuff like unlicensed baseball. They've had a few small Prizm blaster restocks these last few weeks and I wish they would just consolidate those into one big drop. Manual users don't stand a chance with these small drops that are gobbled up by the bots in 5 seconds.

So we moved almost three months ago.  Wife is going through endless boxes in garage and finds a 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson.

I don't remember ever getting it. Must have come from her sister as a Xmas present as she gave me 1950's cards for several years.

Took it to local shop and checked online... Retail $800-1200.   She must have bought it for like $50, 15-20 years ago.

So we moved almost three months ago.  Wife is going through endless boxes in garage and finds a 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson.

I don't remember ever getting it. Must have come from her sister as a Xmas present as she gave me 1950's cards for several years.

Took it to local shop and checked online... Retail $800-1200.   She must have bought it for like $50, 15-20 years ago.
I was cleaning out some stuff and unearthed a 1940 Play Ball Carl Hubbell.  Paid $30 for it on eBay. 

So cool

What kind of condition?

I think I might like to start liquidating some of my collection.  I was into sports cards between, say, 1987 and 1992, so a good 5 year span where I had nearly everything but I also acquired cards from a few years prior.  My collection includes rookies for Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr, Dan Marino, John Elway (not selling that one), Brett Hull, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, and a ton of others.  I have 10's of thousands of commons too.

What's the best way to move them?  I am in no rush to get rid of them - hell, if I have held onto them for 25+ years, a few more isn't going to kill me.  I don't mind selling them a few here, a few there...I'm not into a bulk deal.

My Jordan rookie, BTW, is not mint.  It has a slight crease maybe 1/2" long.  I bought it like that back in the day - I remember when I bought it, Beckett book value for mint was $80, I paid $40.  The others - in pretty good shape.  Probably not pristine because they were handled but the corners are sharp and edges are clean.

So cool

What kind of condition?
Just looked again.  She bought it from a shop in the Bay area...   At the top, sticker has been scratched off a bit, but it did say EX++ on it.   Dealer I had look at it here thought it was a 6.    Never saw this before, but the scratched off sticker does look like it was $50 when bought.  The top line of the 5 didnt get scratched off.

Just looked again.  She bought it from a shop in the Bay area...   At the top, sticker has been scratched off a bit, but it did say EX++ on it.   Dealer I had look at it here thought it was a 6.    Never saw this before, but the scratched off sticker does look like it was $50 when bought.  The top line of the 5 didnt get scratched off.
Awesome!

Maybe get it graded at some point?

I think I might like to start liquidating some of my collection.  I was into sports cards between, say, 1987 and 1992, so a good 5 year span where I had nearly everything but I also acquired cards from a few years prior.  My collection includes rookies for Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr, Dan Marino, John Elway (not selling that one), Brett Hull, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, and a ton of others.  I have 10's of thousands of commons too.

What's the best way to move them?  I am in no rush to get rid of them - hell, if I have held onto them for 25+ years, a few more isn't going to kill me.  I don't mind selling them a few here, a few there...I'm not into a bulk deal.

My Jordan rookie, BTW, is not mint.  It has a slight crease maybe 1/2" long.  I bought it like that back in the day - I remember when I bought it, Beckett book value for mint was $80, I paid $40.  The others - in pretty good shape.  Probably not pristine because they were handled but the corners are sharp and edges are clean.
If you are savvy with ebay/FB you can start piecing them out.

You dont like bulk lots but imo that may be your best bet as after 2 month of selling Barry Larkin and Fred McGriff Rookies for $1 and all the bigger guys for a bit more you are going to be left with tons of commons and then having a hard time giving them away.

Selling that Jordan will not be as easy as most people will assume it is fake.

A huge lot with everything (even if you take the Jordan out) will still be appealing...depending on what you want for everything. 

I have bought about 8-10 collections and sold tbousands of cards as singles and small lots.

Lotto work but I enjiy it.

If you are up for it do it but it will be time consuimg and even getting the top value for each card is not always easy.

Feel free to ask any questions whichever way you go

If you are savvy with ebay/FB you can start piecing them out.

You dont like bulk lots but imo that may be your best bet as after 2 month of selling Barry Larkin and Fred McGriff Rookies for $1 and all the bigger guys for a bit more you are going to be left with tons of commons and then having a hard time giving them away.

Selling that Jordan will not be as easy as most people will assume it is fake.

A huge lot with everything (even if you take the Jordan out) will still be appealing...depending on what you want for everything. 

I have bought about 8-10 collections and sold tbousands of cards as singles and small lots.

Lotto work but I enjiy it.

If you are up for it do it but it will be time consuimg and even getting the top value for each card is not always easy.

Feel free to ask any questions whichever way you go
I may do the big fish individually and then bulk lots with some tier 2 stars.

Where do you go for estimates these days?  How do you know if it's worth grading a card?  My Jordan is probably my most valuable card, even with the crease.  Is that worth getting graded?

I may do the big fish individually and then bulk lots with some tier 2 stars.

Where do you go for estimates these days?  How do you know if it's worth grading a card?  My Jordan is probably my most valuable card, even with the crease.  Is that worth getting graded?
130point.com is a good site (when it's working lol) where you can search most recent sold listings from eBay. you can do that on eBay itself, but 130 will also show you the accepted Best Offer prices where eBay sold listing filter will not. 

Jordan is worth getting graded, if for no other reason than it will be proven authentic. There will still be a market for it in a PSA slab even with a lower grade. You can search what lower grades have fetched and probably look at a few of those listings to determine what grade yours might fetch. 

Users who are viewing this thread