Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everything that is being produced right now is suspect as far as long-term investment potential. There is a reason we look back and call the junk wax era what it was.and were it not for the pa

https://imgur.com/a/w0hTmh3 In case you guys want an idea   I bought these cards all for a few bucks a piece online as they are all in poor condition. Made this for my office at work. A

https://imgur.com/a/Rk3fcR9 Pick 2 is what 600k cards looks like...lol...basement has another ~250k   @Courtjester 1st pick is 2 McDyess cards i just found that are a bit different

Bump. It’s amazing what some of these are selling for on the open market.  I’ve shifted towards grabbing a few cards for investment purposes with room for growth. 
 

A month ago I got a Brady RC graded at a 9. It’s already almost doubled in value.  
 

Tiger Woods rookie card is considered a tear out from a kids SI magazine. It’s worth $700-15,000. Insane. 
 

I’ve been having fun with my son collecting but also grabbing stuff along the way. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gottabesweet said:

Bump. It’s amazing what some of these are selling for on the open market.  I’ve shifted towards grabbing a few cards for investment purposes with room for growth. 
 

A month ago I got a Brady RC graded at a 9. It’s already almost doubled in value.  
 

Tiger Woods rookie card is considered a tear out from a kids SI magazine. It’s worth $700-15,000. Insane. 
 

I’ve been having fun with my son collecting but also grabbing stuff along the way. 

Yep.

Bought some luka cards in May with thoughts of reselling as playoffs near for a little profit. 

Looks like i can double my money without a game having been played. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Elite just came out--$300 a box and I expected them to have the rookies in their NFL team uniforms but no, only one auto subset features that.

I tried to jump in a case break last night and got outbid with a $185.00 bid. 

Gold Rush comes next week and that has the Rookies in their NFL uniforms, but that is probably going to be $400+ and that is one of those one pack (seven cards) per box type product.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

Elite just came out--$300 a box and I expected them to have the rookies in their NFL team uniforms but no, only one auto subset features that.

I tried to jump in a case break last night and got outbid with a $185.00 bid. 

Gold Rush comes next week and that has the Rookies in their NFL uniforms, but that is probably going to be $400+ and that is one of those one pack (seven cards) per box type product.

Man I wish I jumped in 2017 case breaks for Mahomes and Jackson stuff. Selling like crazy. The Bills homer in me was able to get a couple Josh Allen stuff but skunked more often than not.  
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Courtjester said:

Elite just came out--$300 a box and I expected them to have the rookies in their NFL team uniforms but no, only one auto subset features that.

I tried to jump in a case break last night and got outbid with a $185.00 bid. 

Gold Rush comes next week and that has the Rookies in their NFL uniforms, but that is probably going to be $400+ and that is one of those one pack (seven cards) per box type product.

I'd steer clear of gold rush.  Historically a lot of sticker autos and historically the product  does not gain in value nearly as quick as other product lines.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, tonysmiles said:

Bought 4 packs of Topps 2018 series 2 at Big Lots and pulled a Bat Down Acuna...not bad for $20

Is that a $1k-$2k card?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 7:43 AM, jvdesigns2002 said:

I'd steer clear of gold rush.  Historically a lot of sticker autos and historically the product  does not gain in value nearly as quick as other product lines.  

You know I put Gold Rush--it is Gold Standard coming out.  

I never buy Gold Rush products--they have a lot of auto mem stuff, but it always seems sketchy. 

I bought two Elite packs yesterday--$16 a pack for five cards. Got absolutely blanked other than a high serial # Michael Thomas card. Not to be discouraged, i went in on a Bronco 6 box Elite break last night. I got the KJ Hamler PenPal auto, which is so cool because it is him in his Bronco uniform.  I also got some really nice Jeudy numbered cards. I will probably jump in on a Gold Standard break because the checklist is pretty loaded with Broncos from past/present, but with only 7 cards in a box, the odds aren't great.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Courtjester said:

You know I put Gold Rush--it is Gold Standard coming out.  

I never buy Gold Rush products--they have a lot of auto mem stuff, but it always seems sketchy. 

I bought two Elite packs yesterday--$16 a pack for five cards. Got absolutely blanked other than a high serial # Michael Thomas card. Not to be discouraged, i went in on a Bronco 6 box Elite break last night. I got the KJ Hamler PenPal auto, which is so cool because it is him in his Bronco uniform.  I also got some really nice Jeudy numbered cards. I will probably jump in on a Gold Standard break because the checklist is pretty loaded with Broncos from past/present, but with only 7 cards in a box, the odds aren't great.  

Lol--its funny because I made the same mistake myself. I meant to type gold standard but i wrote gold rush.  Gold rush is a re-pack (buy back) product and auto product that I think is put out by steel city collectibles.  Most re-pack products are sketchy as you never know how honest  the people are who are making and distributing the product. 

Gold standard generally does not hold or gain value at the same level of other products.  Last years product was filled with sticker autos and was rather underwhelming.  It's a product that basically has the hobby's attention for a week or two until the next product gets released and then people tend to forget about it.    If you are going to get into gold standard--do what you are doing--pick a team and buy into a break and limite your investment. Luckily the broncos tend to hit decently often and well as they have a good combination of young talent and they do have a lot of vet/retired players that are featured in products.   Congrats on the pen pal auto from elite.   I didn't get in on any elite this year--and frankly--I probably won't get in on many 2020 products.    The rookies that I like from this class aren't the huge names and don't command a ton of money--so I'm better off buying singles versus buying into breaks or wax.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I dug my collection out. I have quite a few Barry Bonds rookies Topps and Fleer. Greg Maddux Donruss rookie, Ripken Topps rookies Clemens, Mattingly rookies. 

I’m seeing prices all over the place depending on grade. 

Some of mine do look in really great condition, centered, perfect corners, etc.

I’m sitting here looking at a couple Barry Bonds 86 Topps that look perfect to me selling on EBay for 4 grand. That can’t be right, right?

What’s the site to trust values of and how do I get them graded?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The General said:

So I dug my collection out. I have quite a few Barry Bonds rookies Topps and Fleer. Greg Maddux Donruss rookie, Ripken Topps rookies Clemens, Mattingly rookies. 

I’m seeing prices all over the place depending on grade. 

Some of mine do look in really great condition, centered, perfect corners, etc.

I’m sitting here looking at a couple Barry Bonds 86 Topps that look perfect to me selling on EBay for 4 grand. That can’t be right, right?

What’s the site to trust values of and how do I get them graded?

The Bonds topps traded with a psa 10 grade is selling for 275-350 range. The 3950 one was a Tiffany card.  The crazy prices you see people selling for are in fact that. Just crazy prices. Some people have crazy prices some have less crazy prices waiting for people to make offers...or hoping someone jumps on it with little to no research. 

Ebay sold listings is what I would use to gage the value.

Getting them graded is a bit tough. PSA is experiencing a large wait so you may not get your card back til the winter and they raised the prices considerably. 

If you can go through a dealer who submits bigger lots that may save you some money. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, comfortably numb said:

The Bonds topps traded with a psa 10 grade is selling for 275-350 range. The 3950 one was a Tiffany card.  The crazy prices you see people selling for are in fact that. Just crazy prices. Some people have crazy prices some have less crazy prices waiting for people to make offers...or hoping someone jumps on it with little to no research. 

Ebay sold listings is what I would use to gage the value.

Getting them graded is a bit tough. PSA is experiencing a large wait so you may not get your card back til the winter and they raised the prices considerably. 

If you can go through a dealer who submits bigger lots that may save you some money. 

My LCS just did a bulk 30 day submission. Looking to November. Insane.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, comfortably numb said:

The Bonds topps traded with a psa 10 grade is selling for 275-350 range. The 3950 one was a Tiffany card.  The crazy prices you see people selling for are in fact that. Just crazy prices. Some people have crazy prices some have less crazy prices waiting for people to make offers...or hoping someone jumps on it with little to no research. 

Ebay sold listings is what I would use to gage the value.

Getting them graded is a bit tough. PSA is experiencing a large wait so you may not get your card back til the winter and they raised the prices considerably. 

If you can go through a dealer who submits bigger lots that may save you some money. 

Thanks. I checked out the PSA site. That’s quite the process and it did have the crazy time last you mentioned on there. Afraid to even look at the prices.

I won’t be selling them so I’ll just wait I think.

I do need some better cases for quite a few of them. Is there a recommended one I could grab off Amazon that you like?

I had a few in these beefy type that were basically 2 pieces of thickly plastic that you placed the card between and screwed them together that seems impenetrable :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The General said:

Thanks. I checked out the PSA site. That’s quite the process and it did have the crazy time last you mentioned on there. Afraid to even look at the prices.

I won’t be selling them so I’ll just wait I think.

I do need some better cases for quite a few of them. Is there a recommended one I could grab off Amazon that you like?

I had a few in these beefy type that were basically 2 pieces of thickly plastic that you placed the card between and screwed them together that seems impenetrable :lol:

Those plastic screw downs are not good. There is a decent chance when you open up the sandwich it will peel off the card as well.

I think cardsavers is the brand people use other than your normal top loader plastic with a penny sleeve 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, comfortably numb said:

Those plastic screw downs are not good. There is a decent chance when you open up the sandwich it will peel off the card as well.

I think cardsavers is the brand people use other than your normal top loader plastic with a penny sleeve 

Oh boy. They have been in there for decades. Fingers crossed. I will check out cardsavers.

Pretty much going to put them away for another couple decades. 

Was fun looking through these. Boy did I like Jose Canseco :lol: I have 4 of those rated rookie that I paid a lot for. One of them still had $50 on a sticker in the sleeve. That was like a million dollars to a young General. 

I had a ton of 83 rookies, that was a good class.

A really cool Johnny Bench 70 and Reggie Jackson 2nd year (that are both very cool designed - perfectly match the era).

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happened between psa/bgs?

Seems like 10 years ago BGS graded cards sold for a bit more then the same grade on a PSA card...now it's the opposite and a decent amount too.

1 example 

BGS 9 Arod SP rookie selling for about 170 where as a PSA 9 close to 500

Edited by comfortably numb
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, comfortably numb said:

So what happened between psa/bgs?

Seems like 10 years ago BGS graded cards sold for a bit more then the same grade on a PSA card...now it's the opposite and a decent amount too.

1 example 

BGS 9 Arod SP rookie selling for about 170 where as a PSA 9 close to 500

Bgs does half grades where psa doesnt. Because of this--a bgs 10 is worth more than a psa 10 in most cases---but a bgs 9 will be worth less than a psa 9 in most cases. A psa 9 is the second best grade that can be issued through psa--where with bgs--a 9 would be their third highest grade. Etc. 

Edited by jvdesigns2002
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Bgs does half grades where psa doesnt. Because of this--a bgs 10 is worth more than a psa 10 in most cases---but a bgs 9 will be worth less than a psa 9 in most cases. A psa 9 is the second best grade that can be issued through psa--where with bgs--a 9 would be their third highest grade. Etc. 

Yea, I just don't ever recall bgs 9s being valued less than a psa 9. Always thought bgs grades were higher. Maybe I thought wrong

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, comfortably numb said:

Yea, I just don't ever recall bgs 9s being valued less than a psa 9. Always thought bgs grades were higher. Maybe I thought wrong

The grading standards are different for a 9.   A BGS 10 is virtually a perfect card--and if you are lucky enough to get a black label 10 where all of the sub-grades are 10--that's a holy grail grade that virtually never gets given.   Generally speaking--PSA tends to give more 10's than BGS does--because to their lack of half grades (no 9.5).   Therefore--if a card is perfect except for one flaw--with PSA--it would get a 9--where with BGS--it could get a 9.5.   The lack of half grades makes it difficult to measure across the board. In reality--it's probably closer to measure a PSA 9 versus a BGS 9.5--and my guess is that in those cases--the BGS 9.5 would command slightly more money--which is more in line with what your initial thoughts are.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

The grading standards are different for a 9.   A BGS 10 is virtually a perfect card--and if you are lucky enough to get a black label 10 where all of the sub-grades are 10--that's a holy grail grade that virtually never gets given.   Generally speaking--PSA tends to give more 10's than BGS does--because to their lack of half grades (no 9.5).   Therefore--if a card is perfect except for one flaw--with PSA--it would get a 9--where with BGS--it could get a 9.5.   The lack of half grades makes it difficult to measure across the board. In reality--it's probably closer to measure a PSA 9 versus a BGS 9.5--and my guess is that in those cases--the BGS 9.5 would command slightly more money--which is more in line with what your initial thoughts are.  

It looks like it goes...

Bgs 8.5

Psa 8

Bgs 9

 

Psa 9

 

Bgs 9.5

 

Psa 10

 

Bgs 10

 

My question was more so did something happen for this change? My example was in 01 I bought a bgs 9 arod sp for 430. At that time I paid a little more for bgs 9 over a psa 9 (375/400) thinking BGS grading systems was better.

Now.. a bgs 9 is like 125 bucks where a psa 9 is 475-500 range. That was never the case. They were similar and in some cases bgs 9 would get more money if it had a subgrade of 9.5 or 10.

Not sure if something changed in the last decade. BGS grading scandal? 

In the above a bgs 9.5 goes for 1500 while a psa 10 goes for 4500. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 7:31 PM, jvdesigns2002 said:

Lol--its funny because I made the same mistake myself. I meant to type gold standard but i wrote gold rush.  Gold rush is a re-pack (buy back) product and auto product that I think is put out by steel city collectibles.  Most re-pack products are sketchy as you never know how honest  the people are who are making and distributing the product. 

Gold standard generally does not hold or gain value at the same level of other products.  Last years product was filled with sticker autos and was rather underwhelming.  It's a product that basically has the hobby's attention for a week or two until the next product gets released and then people tend to forget about it.    If you are going to get into gold standard--do what you are doing--pick a team and buy into a break and limite your investment. Luckily the broncos tend to hit decently often and well as they have a good combination of young talent and they do have a lot of vet/retired players that are featured in products.   Congrats on the pen pal auto from elite.   I didn't get in on any elite this year--and frankly--I probably won't get in on many 2020 products.    The rookies that I like from this class aren't the huge names and don't command a ton of money--so I'm better off buying singles versus buying into breaks or wax.  

As an update---I went in on a Gold Standard Bronco break last night--6 boxes--1 pack a box with 7 cards per pack. So 42 cards total.

1st pack---Champ Bailey Relic HOF Patch---okay this is already making me happy.

2nd pack--Phillip Lindsay Relic Patch--extremely happy!!

3rd pack--Bradley Chubb--Jumbo Relic Patch--at this point most people in the comments hate me because there were many teams getting blanked.

4th pack--Bradley Chubb-Relic Patch Autograph--I can't believe my luck!!

5th pack--nothing

6th pack--KJ Hamler Triple Patch Autograph low # (in Denver uniform)---flat out amazing card.

What a great break!!  Five hits!! It cost me $78, which the boxes are going anywhere from $275 to $325 a piece. Some teams got zero cards--I can't imagine what the Bengal owner paid and they got zero hits. 

However, still on the hunt for a Jeudy autograph....

Elements is the next product up, but I think I may skip this one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 10:49 PM, The General said:

So I dug my collection out. I have quite a few Barry Bonds rookies Topps and Fleer. Greg Maddux Donruss rookie, Ripken Topps rookies Clemens, Mattingly rookies. 

I’m seeing prices all over the place depending on grade. 

Some of mine do look in really great condition, centered, perfect corners, etc.

I’m sitting here looking at a couple Barry Bonds 86 Topps that look perfect to me selling on EBay for 4 grand. That can’t be right, right?

What’s the site to trust values of and how do I get them graded?

About 10 years ago, a buddy and I went it together and sent a batch to BGS for grading just to see what it was all about.  I went through a bunch of my old stuff and some newish stuff I had bought (bulk football rookie lots on auction, pulled from packs, etc.) and picked out about 10-15 cards that to me, eyeballing them, looked like they had a best chance at getting a 9+. I got back one 9, a couple of 8/8.5s, a couple of 7/7.5s and several worse than that. I was severely disappointed. To me, they looked like at LEAST 8.5s (perfect centering, sharp corners, etc.). My point being, they are TOUGH on the grades given. And I'm sure it's probably worse now that it was then, considering the market of graded stuff now.  That being said, might be worth if it on older stuff if you get a good grade on any of them. You could always bust them out of the plastic and return them to their 'plain old card' status. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, comfortably numb said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mike-trout-rookie-card-sells-for-record-3-93m-at-auction/amp/

 

3.9M...not too shabby 

 Dude that sold it bought it for 400K 2 years ago

Vegas Dave is an idiot whether he owns the card or not.  

 

The card market is as nuts as the rest of the US right now.  That price doesn't make a bit of sense.  The grading companies have hurt the hobby as much as the greed.  Actually they go hand in hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The other side of the coin with case breaking. :(

So i posted earlier about my incredible luck with my last break. Black came out this week--again a $300 a box type deal containing one pack with 5 cards. 

I tried to bid into some full 12 box breaks with the Broncos and they were ending close to the $200 price point. Last night I got in a six box break and paid $87.00 with shipping. So basically I paid that for a chance with 30 cards.

I get blanked the first three boxes. The fourth box had a Von Miller numbed parallel card--nothing special. I got blanked on the remaining two boxes.

So for those keeping score at home I paid 87.00 for maybe a $2 card----ughhh

Now I can live with that because breaking is a gamble, but what irritated me was I had 30 chances to pull a Bronco card--box one had three Rams in it. Box two had a base Barry Sanders card. Box six had the same base Barry Sanders card, then a parallel Barry Sanders (which is just the base card, but they put a serial number on it)  and then a Lions WR patch.   .When you have 10% of your chances eaten up by basically the same card, it is infuriating. Watching other breaks of this product, it seems to be a pretty consistent problem. Panini should be ashamed of themselves for the collating of this product. I guess when you are the only game in town, you can do what you want though. 

Oh well, today I am going to buy another box of 2019-20 UD Trilogy (still looking for my Makar)  and maybe some NFL Elite. 

I will edit rather that reposting--the box of Trilogy was productive (despite going up $20 a box because the Avs still being in the playoffs) First pack--got my Makar Red numbered RC. I got a patch of someone I can't remember but I got a numbered Jack Hughes auto RC (that card is worth $$--I tell you)

I just bought two Elite Football packs because they went up also (17.00 a pack for five cards) but I got a Duvernay RC PenPals auto--not a killer card, but nice to get a rarer auto. 

Edited by Courtjester
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Courtjester said:

The other side of the coin with case breaking. :(

So i posted earlier about my incredible luck with my last break. Black came out this week--again a $300 a box type deal containing one pack with 5 cards. 

I tried to bid into some full 12 box breaks with the Broncos and they were ending close to the $200 price point. Last night I got in a six box break and paid $87.00 with shipping. So basically I paid that for a chance with 30 cards.

I get blanked the first three boxes. The fourth box had a Von Miller numbed parallel card--nothing special. I got blanked on the remaining two boxes.

So for those keeping score at home I paid 87.00 for maybe a $2 card----ughhh

Now I can live with that because breaking is a gamble, but what irritated me was I had 30 chances to pull a Bronco card--box one had three Rams in it. Box two had a base Barry Sanders card. Box six had the same base Barry Sanders card, then a parallel Barry Sanders (which is just the base card, but they put a serial number on it)  and then a Lions WR patch.   .When you have 10% of your chances eaten up by basically the same card, it is infuriating. Watching other breaks of this product, it seems to be a pretty consistent problem. Panini should be ashamed of themselves for the collating of this product. I guess when you are the only game in town, you can do what you want though. 

Oh well, today I am going to buy another box of 2019-20 UD Trilogy (still looking for my Makar)  and maybe some NFL Elite. 

I will edit rather that reposting--the box of Trilogy was productive (despite going up $20 a box because the Avs still being in the playoffs) First pack--got my Makar Red numbered RC. I got a patch of someone I can't remember but I got a numbered Jack Hughes auto RC (that card is worth $$--I tell you)

I just bought two Elite Football packs because they went up also (17.00 a pack for five cards) but I got a Duvernay RC PenPals auto--not a killer card, but nice to get a rarer auto. 

The only Panini stuff I buy is Score.  I don't have a store by me and the case breakers keep the unopened demand high (im a complete set collector).  I did get a nice 1/1 Gem Masters Dalvin Cook for $43 on eBay the other night.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Courtjester said:

The other side of the coin with case breaking. :(

So i posted earlier about my incredible luck with my last break. Black came out this week--again a $300 a box type deal containing one pack with 5 cards. 

I tried to bid into some full 12 box breaks with the Broncos and they were ending close to the $200 price point. Last night I got in a six box break and paid $87.00 with shipping. So basically I paid that for a chance with 30 cards.

I get blanked the first three boxes. The fourth box had a Von Miller numbed parallel card--nothing special. I got blanked on the remaining two boxes.

So for those keeping score at home I paid 87.00 for maybe a $2 card----ughhh

Now I can live with that because breaking is a gamble, but what irritated me was I had 30 chances to pull a Bronco card--box one had three Rams in it. Box two had a base Barry Sanders card. Box six had the same base Barry Sanders card, then a parallel Barry Sanders (which is just the base card, but they put a serial number on it)  and then a Lions WR patch.   .When you have 10% of your chances eaten up by basically the same card, it is infuriating. Watching other breaks of this product, it seems to be a pretty consistent problem. Panini should be ashamed of themselves for the collating of this product. I guess when you are the only game in town, you can do what you want though. 

Oh well, today I am going to buy another box of 2019-20 UD Trilogy (still looking for my Makar)  and maybe some NFL Elite. 

I will edit rather that reposting--the box of Trilogy was productive (despite going up $20 a box because the Avs still being in the playoffs) First pack--got my Makar Red numbered RC. I got a patch of someone I can't remember but I got a numbered Jack Hughes auto RC (that card is worth $$--I tell you)

I just bought two Elite Football packs because they went up also (17.00 a pack for five cards) but I got a Duvernay RC PenPals auto--not a killer card, but nice to get a rarer auto. 

Unfortunately neither Panini nor Topps are consistent or great with their collation. I've literally seen boxes that have two of the same autos in them.  One of the things that I'd recommend doing are to check out the checklists of products before buying into breaks.  Some teams just have fewer opportunities for hits.   For example--there have been football products that have auto relic cards of Montana or favre--only the card has Montana as a chief and favre as a Viking.  If somebody didn't look at the checklist closely and was just under the impression that there were Montana and favre autos in a product--they might just buy the 49ers and packers thinking they are giving themselves a chance at one of those cards.   With that said--getting in a break is like gambling--and 1 for 2 isn't bad.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little drama brewing the world of sportscards right now.  Arguably the most reputable and most prolific facebook page that acts as the hobbys main database for sportscard scammers is in real danger of getting their reputation trashed.  Basically the page was designed to where if you got scammed by somebody buying/selling/razzing a card--you'd post your situation there (along with evidence) and if the evidence was compelling--the scammers name would get added to a database that could be viewed by people in the group. This database is a great resource if you are buying, selling, or trading with somebody you've never done business with before. You'd go on the scammer page--search out their name and see if they are listed and what their history of offenses are. 

Apparently one of the admins of the scammer page thought it would be a good idea to razz his car. A pre-owned purple Dodge Challenger. He sold a bunch of spots and ran the raffle and afterwards apparently realized they  oversold spots--thus "invalidating" the results.  There were also issues with the timestamping of the results of the random and they've apparently tried to run the razz over something like 3 times.  Needless to say--the admin and the page are getting completely trashed in the threads there and the page has lost a lot of credibitly. Being that it was considered the biggest anti-scammer page/database for the hobby--it's certainly not a good look. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Unfortunately neither Panini nor Topps are consistent or great with their collation. I've literally seen boxes that have two of the same autos in them.  One of the things that I'd recommend doing are to check out the checklists of products before buying into breaks.  Some teams just have fewer opportunities for hits.   For example--there have been football products that have auto relic cards of Montana or favre--only the card has Montana as a chief and favre as a Viking.  If somebody didn't look at the checklist closely and was just under the impression that there were Montana and favre autos in a product--they might just buy the 49ers and packers thinking they are giving themselves a chance at one of those cards.   With that said--getting in a break is like gambling--and 1 for 2 isn't bad.  

This is actually what I do before any break. I go over to Cardboard Connections and look at the possible hits and make my decision from there. Last year, I didn't do a ton of breaks because there would be products that barely had any possible Broncos hits in them,

I was really excited about Black because not only did they have the usual Elway possible hits, but they had some TD and McCaffrey autos in there as well. 

Today I am going to start organizing my collection (after saying I was going to do this for over a year now).I have to get this collection in some semblance of order with a good inventory so my wife doesn't get fleeced selling it should something happen to me. I bought a new Dell laptop, over $200 in new various count boxes and cases, now I just have to take the first step in what will probably be a million mile walk. I have said it before and I will say it again--I love buying, but man, I hate sorting. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

A little drama brewing the world of sportscards right now.  Arguably the most reputable and most prolific facebook page that acts as the hobbys main database for sportscard scammers is in real danger of getting their reputation trashed.  Basically the page was designed to where if you got scammed by somebody buying/selling/razzing a card--you'd post your situation there (along with evidence) and if the evidence was compelling--the scammers name would get added to a database that could be viewed by people in the group. This database is a great resource if you are buying, selling, or trading with somebody you've never done business with before. You'd go on the scammer page--search out their name and see if they are listed and what their history of offenses are. 

Apparently one of the admins of the scammer page thought it would be a good idea to razz his car. A pre-owned purple Dodge Challenger. He sold a bunch of spots and ran the raffle and afterwards apparently realized they  oversold spots--thus "invalidating" the results.  There were also issues with the timestamping of the results of the random and they've apparently tried to run the razz over something like 3 times.  Needless to say--the admin and the page are getting completely trashed in the threads there and the page has lost a lot of credibitly. Being that it was considered the biggest anti-scammer page/database for the hobby--it's certainly not a good look. 

Which FB site?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the worst luck with cards. 

Recently I stumbled on 14 boxes of Mosaic blasters, sold 10 for $500!  They're worth $1200 now, less than 2 months after I sold them.

Used to get into breaks, firehandcards and cardsinfinity mostly, hit a National Treasures Kawhi redemption and was stoked to sell it for $400! (worth 10k plus now?), hit a Mike Trout/Josh Hamilton logo 1/1 dual auto from Five Star, couldn't be happier to get $500 for it (who knows how much it's worth now) and also picked up a personal Immaculate box and pulled a Lillard /99 auto, sold it for $300 (worth at least $600 now).  

But have no fear, my Justin Blackmon, Mario Chalmers and RG3 stacks are still marinating in my stash.  Might as well double down on my Jameis rookie cards, right?

The basketball blasters are nuts this year, if you can find them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That sucks, dude!! 

My story of regret is I started collecting around 1989-90 when i was 20. I was broke and looking for beer money, so I took some of my brother''s 1970 Topps Football cards to the local card store to sell. They were in bad shape--think rubber banded cards. When I got there and saw the 1990 Skybox Basketball, I was hooked and traded the old Topps for packs of those. Now, that isn't my regret--what I really am kicking myself for is not going full in and buying as much 86 Fleer Basketball product as I could.  I hear stories about Kmart having those packs sitting in bargain bins for .99. I have the Beckett #1 with Jordan on the cover and I think his RC from that set is listed at $200 to $250 in it. I did buy quite a bit of 88-89 Fleer product and I do have a couple of 87-88 complete sets, but why....why...why didn't I go after that set? Over the years, I have put together most of the set--but I am still missing the Jordan....:wall:and my wife isn't going to let me pull the trigger on one now with one kid in college and another one two year away from being there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a few of those online breaks and then realized I'd rather use my money and buy cards I actually want.  There are some people here that are SERIOUSLY in these breaks.  I won't name names though.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you guys are bored and looking through old cards I will try to name a few that have increased in value from the dead wax era

Obviously,  everyone here should know about the 90 Thomas NNOF card.

In that same print run that produced the NNOF it effected other cards on that sheet

Marcus Lawton is one. I don't think this card will ever sell for this but if you had an upgraded version I could see 50-150

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114047769580

1991 topps mark whiten error can be sitting in a box and bring in about 50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233697706532

As mentioned up thread.

90 hoops mark Jackson with the murderer menendez Brothers in the background can fetch 2-15 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193635632258

 

I'll try to add as i remeber more.

On a related note about the 1990 topps NNOF card. There is a fascinating thread from another board that I stumbled upon where a guy had a theory on the print error and after a lot of sleuthing and several years of research it all unfolds on what and how it happens.

Thread reads like a drama series complete with internet tools and heroes.

I can dig it up if anyone is interested 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 4:57 AM, comfortably numb said:

If you guys are bored and looking through old cards I will try to name a few that have increased in value from the dead wax era

Obviously,  everyone here should know about the 90 Thomas NNOF card.

In that same print run that produced the NNOF it effected other cards on that sheet

Marcus Lawton is one. I don't think this card will ever sell for this but if you had an upgraded version I could see 50-150

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114047769580

1991 topps mark whiten error can be sitting in a box and bring in about 50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233697706532

As mentioned up thread.

90 hoops mark Jackson with the murderer menendez Brothers in the background can fetch 2-15 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193635632258

 

I'll try to add as i remeber more.

On a related note about the 1990 topps NNOF card. There is a fascinating thread from another board that I stumbled upon where a guy had a theory on the print error and after a lot of sleuthing and several years of research it all unfolds on what and how it happens.

Thread reads like a drama series complete with internet tools and heroes.

I can dig it up if anyone is interested 

 

I'd love to read about it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 11:05 PM, shuke said:

I did a few of those online breaks and then realized I'd rather use my money and buy cards I actually want.  There are some people here that are SERIOUSLY in these breaks.  I won't name names though.

Depending on what you collect, you can get most everything two weeks after release for a fair price, just use a sniping tool on eBay.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ted Stickles said:

I'd love to read about it. Thanks.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/709331/1990-topps-frank-thomas-nnof-revisited-introduction-to-my-theory

 

It starts off in 2009....and goes through present day. One of the better threads if not best I've ever read.

Gets nerdy at times when discussing printing press paint processes but still...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting... tl;dr: digital cards running on eCurrency platform Flow, from the makers of Cryptokittes:

Quote

Ever wanted to own an NBA highlight? Now you can.

Ray Allen’s corner 3-pointer in Game 6 of the 2013 Finals is considered one of the NBA’s greatest shots ever. 

Imagine if you could own it.

Well, Dapper Labs (a blockchain company) recently teamed up with the NBA to make ownership of in-game highlights a reality. How? Via a platform called NBA Top Shot. 

Sports collectibles are big business

We’ve heard of multimillion-dollar baseball cards and autographed jerseys. But Dapper CEO, Roham Gharegozlou, tells The Hustle that he believes digital sports collectibles are the next frontier. 

His platform (which we were given beta access to) offers users ownership of video clips like a “Jayson Tatum jump shot” or a “Zion Williamson block.”

These digital highlights come in “card packs” that start at $9. Each pack contains a different set of highlights that you can trade on the platform. Only one of each highlight is released, creating scarcity.

According to Gharegozlou, “cardboard cards are hard to authenticate, grade and move,” while these digital assets can be “sold at any time, don’t have to be evaluated and can have additional functionality over time.”

The team behind Dapper scored a previous hit with Cryptokittes 

Pre-blockchain, the creation of digital collectibles was a challenge.

Launched in 2017 at the height of Bitcoin mania, Cryptokittes (a game in which users buy, sell, and collect virtual cats) became the busiest address on the Ethereum platform -- and demonstrated, for the first time, how the blockchain could power a digital collectibles market.

Generally, digital goods are easy to copy (think MP3s) and have no reproduction costs. As a result, it’s difficult to: 1) claim ownership over them, and 2) create value through scarcity.

Because a blockchain is a decentralized immutable record, a digital asset can actually be assigned ownership to a single entity.

NBA Top Shot is built on a proprietary blockchain called Flow

Gharegozlou tells us Flow was created because existing blockchains (including Ethereum) are geared towards transactions rather than providing functionality for games, apps, and digital assets.

With $50m+ in funding, Dapper is moving into other digital collectibles categories. 

Just this week, they partnered with Warner Music Group to launch a limited edition Cryptokittes with the English music band Muse. Up next: a collaboration with Dr. Seuss Enterprises.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, schlesinj said:

Um, what???

Quote

So too, it seemed, was the '86-87 Fleer case in the same auction that sold for a mere $10,058. Or, it would have been -- if the case weren't empty. Ten thousand dollars for shelled boxes and discarded wrappers. In perhaps the most brazen omen of decadence in an industry littered with them, Bobby Poll, the owner of SIG Auctions, took home the lot. When reached for comment on what possessed him to pay 10 grand for trash, he said, "You thought, 'There must be something wrong with that guy,' right?"

"I know what I want to do with it," Poll said, alluding to his mysterious plans to somehow resell, well, garbage. And he expects to make a profit. "Worst-case scenario?" he says. "I break even."

 

Edited by The Noid
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Noid said:

Um, what???

 

Not much different than video game/tox boxes and instructions being worth a pretty penny after most folks discarded that stuff.  Also great for unscrupulous dealers resealing packs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a new hobby and thinking of getting back into collecting sports cards.

I only really like football and basketball.

What are some good avenues to buy unopened packs / boxes of older cards?  By older I mean like early-2000's or even 2010's?  

Not looking to break the bank.  Really just want to have the fun of opening packs up and trying to find diamonds in the rough (I'm sure this is a big thing).  Also would be a way to try and get my son into collecting.  All he wants to do is play Minecraft these days, nothing sports-related... which kills me :lol:

Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...