What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc) (1 Viewer)

Too many people have their friends bid to drive up the price.  If there is a $50 card you'll pay for, why not pay $20?  It's like poker, never show your hand.  You can set the snipe for $50.  Counless times I have won on the minimum bid and it really works when the auction ends at non-peak times.  I pay right away so they cannot back out.  
I don't think it (shilling) happens as often as people think. I've won quite a few for minimum bid also, that just depends on the demand for the item and what the opening bid is set for. Like I said though, if I'm willing to only pay $20, that's what I bid. It's not showing your hand since it only bids what the opening bid price is and the other is not 'revealed' unless someone bids. If nobody bids you up, you get it for the opening bid. If not, you go up to your limit and if they got over your limit, it's more than what you were willing to pay for it anyway. If it's a friend shilling for them, then they just cost themselves some fees and reduced their bottom line, which is also fine with me. :lol:  

So when I started buying a couple weeks ago, I would set the search to ending soonest. Usually a page worth of items that ended that day then the 1day left would start and I could go to after 6 days and some more soonest ending would start back up. Now after the 6 days its no time showing on remaining auctions even when I click on the item. Any clues to why this is happening?

So when I started buying a couple weeks ago, I would set the search to ending soonest. Usually a page worth of items that ended that day then the 1day left would start and I could go to after 6 days and some more soonest ending would start back up. Now after the 6 days its no time showing on remaining auctions even when I click on the item. Any clues to why this is happening?
I notice some issues sometimes with their sort also. Or I'll search a player, then another player (from a previous search) will show up randomly amongst the listings. I don't know if it's something with the browser cache maybe. They have pretty heavy scripting on their site, to roll the timers, number of bids, etc. 

Too many people have their friends bid to drive up the price.  If there is a $50 card you'll pay for, why not pay $20?  It's like poker, never show your hand.  You can set the snipe for $50.  Counless times I have won on the minimum bid and it really works when the auction ends at non-peak times.  I pay right away so they cannot back out.  
I do this too. i like the excitement of the last second bid.

I do this too. i like the excitement of the last second bid.
The major insert set I was collecting this year (Heritage box toppers Greatest Moments, only 50 of each and 55 cards in the set), there were 7-8 people bidding on them consistantly.  Sniping really saved me some money when it came to lots.  

Last edited by a moderator:
NBA: Tyler Herro, Ja Morant Luminence (cant get enough of the dunk card!), Jamal Murray

MLB: Kyle Lewis, Alex Kirilloff, Bobby Witt Jr, Robert Puason

NFL: Justin Jefferson, Courtland Sutton, CeeDee Lamb
AWESOME card. I got my son one for Xmas along with the Zion Luminance which is pretty sweet too

I like some of those young WR listed also. I didn’t like seeing that rookie cards of studs like Julio Jones and Michael Thomas don’t seem to have a ton of value, not sure why not. 

349.00 for pre-sell Hoops WTH?!! All you get per box is 2 autos. Oh and 24 inserts..... :wall:

This is not a strong NBA draft.  I know I am just preaching to the choir, but we need to break up the monopoly Panini has over products.

Hoops was always entry level stuff that kids could afford. Now we are going to be looking at 15,00 a pack for this stuff?

349.00 for pre-sell Hoops WTH?!! All you get per box is 2 autos. Oh and 24 inserts..... :wall:

This is not a strong NBA draft.  I know I am just preaching to the choir, but we need to break up the monopoly Panini has over products.

Hoops was always entry level stuff that kids could afford. Now we are going to be looking at 15,00 a pack for this stuff?
And they will sell.  All of the breakers and the overseas markets will buy them.  

Just went through my shoeboxes and binders of football cards from the 70's and 80's. Moved them to more sturdy boxes, moved the cards I liked (hey there funny named Chris Hanburger and funny picture Chuck Muncie) from binders back to the common cards. I am looking to buy some cards to fill out my roster - mostly mid-80's Walter Payton cards. Any suggestions on the best way to purchase cards online? eBay? Good sellers?

Just went through my shoeboxes and binders of football cards from the 70's and 80's. Moved them to more sturdy boxes, moved the cards I liked (hey there funny named Chris Hanburger and funny picture Chuck Muncie) from binders back to the common cards. I am looking to buy some cards to fill out my roster - mostly mid-80's Walter Payton cards. Any suggestions on the best way to purchase cards online? eBay? Good sellers?
Basically check feedback, use COMC also.

This may be the strangest card auction item I have seen on eBay.

Who pays real money to get that many (non-FF) Billy Ripken cards graded?

This account has to be old Billy himself, right?

I have some Walter Payton cards I plan to list, are you interested in seeing pics?

When I say some...I think its 5 or 6 I have a lot of 100+ HOF guys and some were payton.

Target has had enough at least in Florida.  New system has been implemented in my area Florida Targets.

Day they stock shelf you sign up and go wait outside.  They text you and you go inside and purchase 2 packs.  You can then put your name back on list and go wait outside they continue process until stock is gone and this ensures availability to everybody.

The Hoops packs are now pre-selling at 30.00 a pop on Ebay for 8 cards, which only two packs a box will contain value. This is an absolute entry level set. I paid $120 last year for a hobby box and I bought numerous fat retail packs for $5.00 a pack. Those packs had Zion and Morant RC's in them. 

I hope every breaker takes a complete bath on this product. Other than Wiseman and Ball, what is there to collect in this rookie  class? Maybe Haliburton?  Sadly I think speculators are going to be on Hampton for my Nuggets. 

Other than that, what is the point of pushing this product that high? 

I've said it before and i will say it again Panini needs to be gone.....

The Hoops packs are now pre-selling at 30.00 a pop on Ebay for 8 cards, which only two packs a box will contain value. This is an absolute entry level set. I paid $120 last year for a hobby box and I bought numerous fat retail packs for $5.00 a pack. Those packs had Zion and Morant RC's in them. 

I hope every breaker takes a complete bath on this product. Other than Wiseman and Ball, what is there to collect in this rookie  class? Maybe Haliburton?  Sadly I think speculators are going to be on Hampton for my Nuggets. 

The basketball market has been crazy for some time now.  The hockey vintage market is right behind.

I think most of it is because most people can't find retail (me included). The scarcity of being able to find retail and get packs/boxes for somewhat afforable prices for the average joe, plus the corona-craze market frenzy, have driven prices up. Can't find any decent football retail either. Prizm and Mosaic go as soon as they hit the shelves. Some to insiders who know the stockers/store managers I'm sure. Others who buy up the entire availability at those stores who don't have limits set. I've seen many posts on twitter of people claiming "just scored retail!" One guy had a whole buggy literally full of Prizm FB and Hoops BB, $1900 worth. Made me sick to my stomach. 

Hey guys - Been years since I've collected cards and clearing out garage I was going through old boxes of cards, etc.  What is the best way to value/sell if I were so inclined? I've never had anything graded, and as I understand it that is probably needed to get maximum value from some of the better cards. It is a real mix - I have a select few cards from the 50s/60s, some in pretty decent shape still, and then have a number of cards from the 80s/90s that upon some research appear they could have decent value (a few Shaquille O'neal rookies, Griffey Jr. rookies, 1992 Skybox USA Basketball cards, etc.)

Any tips/insight on the right steps I should be taking?

Hey guys - Been years since I've collected cards and clearing out garage I was going through old boxes of cards, etc.  What is the best way to value/sell if I were so inclined? I've never had anything graded, and as I understand it that is probably needed to get maximum value from some of the better cards. It is a real mix - I have a select few cards from the 50s/60s, some in pretty decent shape still, and then have a number of cards from the 80s/90s that upon some research appear they could have decent value (a few Shaquille O'neal rookies, Griffey Jr. rookies, 1992 Skybox USA Basketball cards, etc.)

Any tips/insight on the right steps I should be taking?
Best way to value them is to look at completed sales on ebay.

I think most of it is because most people can't find retail (me included). The scarcity of being able to find retail and get packs/boxes for somewhat afforable prices for the average joe, plus the corona-craze market frenzy, have driven prices up. Can't find any decent football retail either. Prizm and Mosaic go as soon as they hit the shelves. Some to insiders who know the stockers/store managers I'm sure. Others who buy up the entire availability at those stores who don't have limits set. I've seen many posts on twitter of people claiming "just scored retail!" One guy had a whole buggy literally full of Prizm FB and Hoops BB, $1900 worth. Made me sick to my stomach. 
I see a lot on Blowout Cards forums also.  Of course more are complaining that they are limited.  

This is crazy, why is it so hard to find any solid brands these days? I would like to get my kids into collecting but it doesn’t seem like there’s that solid Topps brand that will always be around at a decent price. I’m not looking for 90’ Leaf, just something mid range. 

This is crazy, why is it so hard to find any solid brands these days? I would like to get my kids into collecting but it doesn’t seem like there’s that solid Topps brand that will always be around at a decent price. I’m not looking for 90’ Leaf, just something mid range. 
I know, man. I got my son a couple boxes of football and basketball off eBay for Xmas, and paid probably 2-3x retail for it, but that's what he wanted. It wasn't even the higher end stuff. We've gotten into a few random-team breaks of some of the higher end stuff for decent prices, but that just ends up being luck of the team draw. I did manage to hit a Justin Herbert Prizm rookie on one. My best result to date. My son hit a couple of nobody basketball autos, which he was excited about. I guess that's all that matters. 

I know, man. I got my son a couple boxes of football and basketball off eBay for Xmas, and paid probably 2-3x retail for it, but that's what he wanted. It wasn't even the higher end stuff. We've gotten into a few random-team breaks of some of the higher end stuff for decent prices, but that just ends up being luck of the team draw. I did manage to hit a Justin Herbert Prizm rookie on one. My best result to date. My son hit a couple of nobody basketball autos, which he was excited about. I guess that's all that matters. 
My oldest is only 9 so I’m not looking to break the bank but hoped I would find something on Amazon with no luck. I guess this isn’t the 80’s/90’s when I collect and it was way over produced. Is there even a consistent brand anymore that you know will be around year after year? 

My oldest is only 9 so I’m not looking to break the bank but hoped I would find something on Amazon with no luck. I guess this isn’t the 80’s/90’s when I collect and it was way over produced. Is there even a consistent brand anymore that you know will be around year after year? 
Panini owns the basketball and football game now. All the "brands" (Donruss, Prizm, etc.) are all actually Panini owned. They have different levels ($ wise) of brands. Upper Deck is hockey mainly I think, and Topps mostly baseball. Some of the baseball/hockey guys might have more insight. I really only keep up with football and basketball any more. 

Panini owns the basketball and football game now. All the "brands" (Donruss, Prizm, etc.) are all actually Panini owned. They have different levels ($ wise) of brands. Upper Deck is hockey mainly I think, and Topps mostly baseball. Some of the baseball/hockey guys might have more insight. I really only keep up with football and basketball any more. 
You stick to certain brands? What would you recommend aiming for with kids that age but some level of potential investment value? We don’t do hockey but are into baseball/football/basketball. 

This stuff isn't for kids any more, unfortunately.

I started collecting Topps Heritage last year because it seemed like a cheaper, more accessible set.  I started a thread about it in the baseball forum.

I'm going to end up spending way more than I anticipated trying to finish the set.  I can't even find anything at retail stores any more.

You stick to certain brands? What would you recommend aiming for with kids that age but some level of potential investment value? We don’t do hockey but are into baseball/football/basketball. 
I do stick to certain brands.  IMO the traditional brands hold up the best in the long term, plus they are likely to have the late bloomers in it.  

Shuke - THe heritage are still one of the easier and popular sets that hold up over time.  The new set is about to be released, people are flipping last years cards so they can have cash for this years,  Blowout Cards B/S?T forums are great foil finishing sets.  There are a lot of traders on there also.

I do stick to certain brands.  IMO the traditional brands hold up the best in the long term, plus they are likely to have the late bloomers in it.  

Shuke - THe heritage are still one of the easier and popular sets that hold up over time.  The new set is about to be released, people are flipping last years cards so they can have cash for this years,  Blowout Cards B/S?T forums are great foil finishing sets.  There are a lot of traders on there also.
Which do you consider the traditional brands? When I tuned out years ago it was Topps/Upper Deck/Score/Fleer etc so I’m a bit out of touch. :lmao:

It honestly depends on how much $ you want to spend, unfortunately. There are so many different variations within sets now, it will make your head spin. There are cards with actual gold and diamonds on/in them. :lol:  Of course will cost you 4 figures to get a "box" which is really like 1 pack with 2 cards or some nonsense. But hey you might get the diamond encrusted Joe Burrow autograph 1/1!

I got Illusions, which is probably one of the lower end sets, but they do have some nice parallels (serial #'d ones, etc.). They do those for football and basketball. I also got a box of Mosaic football, which is a little nicer set (higher value parallels, etc.) and that is a cool looking set to me. They do basketball and football also. I guess the last 2 I'd recommend for bb/fb are Prizm Draft Picks and Prizm. Both have lots of parallels and seem to hold value well thus far. Draft Picks is a notch below Prizm on the totem poll. Prizm is getting into the more expensive end of the game, but still affordable if you can find them in the wild. 

It honestly depends on how much $ you want to spend, unfortunately. There are so many different variations within sets now, it will make your head spin. There are cards with actual gold and diamonds on/in them. :lol:  Of course will cost you 4 figures to get a "box" which is really like 1 pack with 2 cards or some nonsense. But hey you might get the diamond encrusted Joe Burrow autograph 1/1!

I got Illusions, which is probably one of the lower end sets, but they do have some nice parallels (serial #'d ones, etc.). They do those for football and basketball. I also got a box of Mosaic football, which is a little nicer set (higher value parallels, etc.) and that is a cool looking set to me. They do basketball and football also. I guess the last 2 I'd recommend for bb/fb are Prizm Draft Picks and Prizm. Both have lots of parallels and seem to hold value well thus far. Draft Picks is a notch below Prizm on the totem poll. Prizm is getting into the more expensive end of the game, but still affordable if you can find them in the wild. 
Just looked up a box of Mosaic on Amazon....$120 for a box of...32 cards. 😂

Man I’m old , back in my day each pack had 15 card and there were like 32 packs in a box. Thanks for bringing me up to the times. Wow.  :hifive:

also to find recent ebay sale values, you can use 130point.com

I believe @jvdesigns2002 recommended that a while back. It just pulls back the sales and the Best Offer accepted prices for the last 100 or so sales on whatever you search. You have to create an account now, but it's free. I think bots were abusing their system. It's still slow to load sometimes, but keep trying and it will eventually give you the results. They have an app (or someone does) but I couldn't ever get it to work right. 

Man I’m old , back in my day each pack had 15 card and there were like 32 packs in a box. Thanks for bringing me up to the times. Wow.  :hifive:
Yeah, but go look up whichever box you just searched on ebay. If it was 2020 football, for example... Go look up Justin Herbert Mosaic rc prizm listings on eBay. You'll see why they're priced the way they are. 

Yeah, but go look up whichever box you just searched on ebay. If it was 2020 football, for example... Go look up Justin Herbert Mosaic rc prizm listings on eBay. You'll see why they're priced the way they are. 
You are right, wow. I am about to order a Beckett price guide do they still cover the older 80’s/90’s sets too? Want to get a plan together to grade some of my older cards. So PSA is the way to go, how do you ensure they aren’t lost or damaged in the mail? Have some old Montana/Rice/Marino/Emmitt RC’s. 

You are right, wow. I am about to order a Beckett price guide do they still cover the older 80’s/90’s sets too? Want to get a plan together to grade some of my older cards. So PSA is the way to go, how do you ensure they aren’t lost or damaged in the mail? Have some old Montana/Rice/Marino/Emmitt RC’s. 
Seriously, save the money on Beckett.  eBay sales are a better gage.   We can help you on these also.  

I've only ever done Beckett Grading but that was years ago. PSA is definitely the way to go right now. I wouldn't worry with the price guide. eBay IS the price guide these days. I'd just make a spreadsheet and look up recent sale values. There should be plenty of the ones you have to give you an idea of value. Then you might be able to eyeball some of the PSA listings for the cards you have and kind of compare the condition to how yours look and give you an idea of what you might have for getting a grade put on it. 

Also, there aren't as many cards in most sets these days. Not as many "commons." Some have zero commons, really. There are base cards and parallels. But even the base cards are just star players. So the smaller pack/card counts has a little to do with that also. 

Users who are viewing this thread