What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andy Isabella, BAL (1 Viewer)

Dane Brugler of The Athletic projects the Chiefs to select UMass WR Andy Isabella with the 63rd pick in his Day 2 2019 NFL Mock Draft.

The Chiefs have two second-round picks after not having a first-round selection due to the trade of Frank Clark. With the 61st pick, Brugler projects Kansas City to take corner Justin Layne of Michigan State. "The Tyreek Hill situation should have the Chiefs examining their receiver options on day two of the draft and Isabella is a player they have shown interest in," he writes. Even if Hill is back next year, Isabella would provide another interesting weapon for the Kansas City offense.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 26, 2019, 3:01 PM

Cardinals selected UMass WR Andy Isabella with the No. 62 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Dolphins rented Josh Rosen for a mere $6.3 million over the next three years in exchange for the Cardinals to move up. Fins also got a 2020 fifth-rounder. Isabella (5’9/188) led the nation in receiving yards (1,698) and yards per route run (4.15) as a senior, capping his career with a 231/3,526/30 (15.3 YPR) stat line and earning national notice with an exciting Senior Bowl showing. Unfairly typecast as a slot receiver by some, Isabella blazed 4.31 at the Combine after finishing third in the nation in receiving yards gained on 20-plus-yard targets (704) in 2018. With tiny arms (29 ¾") and hands (8 3/8"), however, Isabella’s small catch radius and body-catching tendency are concerns for his transition. He best profiles on the Kenny Stills-Brandin Cooks spectrum. Kyler Murray should have no problem exceeding any and all expectations with Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk, and Andy Isabella set to shred the league.

Apr 26, 2019, 7:28 PM

Absolutely ecstatic with this pick as Cards fan.

Was hoping to leave the draft with either Hollywood or Isabella. 2 of the guys that really stood out to me in this WR class coming into the draft and fit what Cards/Kyler needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m concerned with the cards steaming pile of an offensive line. That’s going to hamper all receivers 

I'm seeing Butler 6-8 slots ahead of Isabella in a lot of people's rankings (all post draft).  I'm having a hard time reconciling this considering the Cards took Isabella earlier.  Thoughts?

tkrull said:
I'm seeing Butler 6-8 slots ahead of Isabella in a lot of people's rankings (all post draft).  I'm having a hard time reconciling this considering the Cards took Isabella earlier.  Thoughts?
Pre draft some people had butler as their #1 wr or in the top 5 so I think you’re seeing residual bias. People that liked butler a lot still like butler- and a lot of people just plain don’t like Isabella because of size. Pre draft butler is probably top 5ish pick and Isabella is a mid 2nd, so I’m not entirely surprised that some people still have butler ahead of Isabella. What really surprises me is that butler still goes in rd 1 of dynasty drafts. 

tkrull said:

Pre draft some people had butler as their #1 wr or in the top 5 so I think you’re seeing residual bias. People that liked butler a lot still like butler- and a lot of people just plain don’t like Isabella because of size. Pre draft butler is probably top 5ish pick and Isabella is a mid 2nd, so I’m not entirely surprised that some people still have butler ahead of Isabella. What really surprises me is that butler still goes in rd 1 of dynasty drafts. 
I listened to a CBS dynasty rookie mock that had Butler go in the top 10 (maybe even as high as 8 and Isabella go in the late 20s. The masses are way out there on this.

I think I've seen in other posts, you like him quite a bit. 

Can I ask you to elaborate on your outlook?  Not in a questioning/I think you're wrong way.  I see a guy who's 5'8 and played at UMass and don't envision a future stud.  But I know very little about him other than he's fast and was very productive. 

Can I ask you to elaborate on your outlook?  Not in a questioning/I think you're wrong way.  I see a guy who's 5'8 and played at UMass and don't envision a future stud.  But I know very little about him other than he's fast and was very productive. 
Not trying to speak for Dan, but my thoughts:

The NFL is increasingly played in space. We’re seeing smaller guys have more success than they have in the past. If you can regularly create separation, and create yards in space, there’s a sizable role for you.

The NFL saw a short guy from UMass with small hands - and still valued him highly. He was a 2nd round pick in a deep WR draft, right where he was projected to go.

I think the best argument is the simplest: The NFL saw the kid as a 2nd round pick; he’s going to an exciting system to catch balls from an exciting QB. 

Hes not without warts, but there are a few things I like:

1. college production. He has smaller hands and catch radius, but he led the NCAA in reception yards

2. work ethic. he gets it. he has it between the ears and wont be accused of being lazy ever. it's the #1 reason I liked Lindsay last year- first guy in, last guy home mentality. the guy went and bought a jugs machine to prepare for the season... 

3. he meets these criteria 

4. Murray was very successful with an undersized wr in Hollywood Brown. I'm not saying Murray made Brown, rather Murray does a good job creating his wrs open in the short to intermediate routes with his rushing abilities

5. the offense thrives on short to intermediate routes. Arizona specifically picked him ahead of larger wrs with different skill sets... why? 

6. Arizona drafted Isabella and then Butler... Butler can keep defenses honest in the long ball as he can win contested catches more often than Isabella, freeing Isabella up for the intermediate routes, which typically equal higher volume

Someone in the Arizona offense is going to see a lot of targets. Butler is not a very good route runner and even though he has big hands, he cant catch. Kirk I like a lot, and he could ultimately be the guy to own long term. Isabella I see as a high posession type wr. 

2. work ethic. he gets it. he has it between the ears and wont be accused of being lazy ever. it's the #1 reason I liked Lindsay last year- first guy in, last guy home mentality. the guy went and bought a jugs machine to prepare for the season... 
You mean Isabella, right? Not Lindsay?

Fantasy community- we like metcalf, butler, and harmon.

NFL community- we like brown, Isabella, and guys like Tyreek Hill. 

Its a cycle imo. 80s football was predicated on running and defense. Bill Walsh ran a dynasty because he came in with the west coast offense. Rules changed for defense. Teams started throwing more, so the reaction was get quick DBs and safeties that could stop the short pass. Then they started drafting bigger wrs, and bigger DBs to cover them. Suddenly teams were going back to the RB position the last few years, and small quick guys like Tyreek Hill are a commodity. 

Defenses are built to stop things, offenses get different personnel to create mismatches. 

Fantasy community- we like metcalf, butler, and harmon.

NFL community- we like brown, Isabella, and guys like Tyreek Hill. 

Its a cycle imo. 80s football was predicated on running and defense. Bill Walsh ran a dynasty because he came in with the west coast offense. Rules changed for defense. Teams started throwing more, so the reaction was get quick DBs and safeties that could stop the short pass. Then they started drafting bigger wrs, and bigger DBs to cover them. Suddenly teams were going back to the RB position the last few years, and small quick guys like Tyreek Hill are a commodity. 

Defenses are built to stop things, offenses get different personnel to create mismatches. 
I think the fantasy film watchers really were the ones propping up Metcalf and especially Butler/Harmon. The metrics community was down on them and very high on Isabella. Nobody was on Tyreek untill he hit- nobody could have predicted that. 

The fantasy divide on Butler, Harmon and Isabella was pretty massive. Waldman called Butler the best WR prospect he has ever seen. Others called him “Bustler” and had him outside the top 10 WRs. 

I think the fantasy film watchers really were the ones propping up Metcalf and especially Butler/Harmon. The metrics community was down on them and very high on Isabella. Nobody was on Tyreek untill he hit- nobody could have predicted that. 

The fantasy divide on Butler, Harmon and Isabella was pretty massive. Walkman called Butler the best WR prospect he has ever seen. Others called him “Bustler” it had him outside the top 10 WRs. 
I think both of you are right depending on the prospect. No metrics guy is going to come to the defense of Mecole Hardman except guys who obsess over sub 4.4 speed. I still love athleticism but there is diminishing returns hitting the auto button for those guys. They have to meet production thresholds too or they’re just an outlier. Isabella meets both but, yes, it seems Daniel Jeremiah and the like weren’t fond of him but nor were they Butler. Evan Silva said nice things about Jeremiah this offseason. I’m sure he’s an ok dude, I highly disagree with whatever the hell he’s doing to rank guys. You can’t have Josh Jacobs in your top five, still beyond absurd.

I think both of you are right depending on the prospect. No metrics guy is going to come to the defense of Mecole Hardman except guys who obsess over sub 4.4 speed. I still love athleticism but there is diminishing returns hitting the auto button for those guys. They have to meet production thresholds too or they’re just an outlier. Isabella meets both but, yes, it seems Daniel Jeremiah and the like weren’t fond of him but nor were they Butler. Evan Silva said nice things about Jeremiah this offseason. I’m sure he’s an ok dude, I highly disagree with whatever the hell he’s doing to rank guys. You can’t have Josh Jacobs in your top five, still beyond absurd.
I agree. I'm not sure what to do with 1.1 in my other league. might just draft Harry

I agree. I'm not sure what to do with 1.1 in my other league. might just draft Harry
Well, just for clarification, Jeremiah had him in his top 5 or 10 OVERALL. While I want to hate Jacobs at 1.01, I get it. It’s not something I’d prefer to do. 

hoping to trade but I dont care for Jacobs aside from his situation 
I've made it very clear to my leaguemates that the 1.01 is available. I have had zero offers and not a single question asked about it. Active league I'm an active trader. No one wants it. Just gonna take Jacobs and hope for the best. 

I've made it very clear to my leaguemates that the 1.01 is available. I have had zero offers and not a single question asked about it. Active league I'm an active trader. No one wants it. Just gonna take Jacobs and hope for the best. 
Same thing happened in one of my leagues.  1.01 offered it, nobody wanted it.  I still think Jacobs is the clear 1.01 though.

Ilov80s said:
Nobody was on Tyreek untill he hit- nobody could have predicted that.
He was actually on the radar for a while. He always had a rare level of speed and intriguing athletic tools. I knew about him from early on and had him as a possible first round talent around 2014-2015.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/283290-dynasty-rankings/page/425/?tab=comments#comment-16483403

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/702717-dynasty-2015-draft-prospects/page/35/?tab=comments#comment-17542199

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/702717-dynasty-2015-draft-prospects/page/23/?tab=comments#comment-17314632

Did I know he would be so good? No, I thought he was more of a tweener. It wasn't obvious that he'd be so good at WR since his college career even before getting booted from OSU was as more of a gadget player and return man than a prolific pass catcher. Certainly you could see that he had something special athletically though.

As for Isabella, one of the most boom-or-bust guys in this class IMO. Blazing speed. He gets into his routes at lightning pace and will eat up cushion, even in the NFL. He's a bit tightly-wound though and lacks Tyreek's east-west quickness. Compact frame, but very short and stubby. Very small catch radius. Body catches too much. He has elite traits in certain categories, but glaring issues in other areas. I was looking at him again last night and I think I like the risk-reward around WR6 in this class. I have AJ Brown, Deebo, and Harry above him. I think Marquise Brown, if he stays healthy, is a good NFL receiver. I don't have a great handle on Metcalf, but if he hits then his ceiling is higher. After that is where I start to think about Isabella, as I'm not sold on JJAW, Hardman, Campbell, Butler, D Johnson, etc. If it pans out, you're getting something like a turbo Welker, which could be prolific in that offense. There's a huge ceiling, but I can also see him being a total flop.

The style debate is interesting. When you think about the 90s/00s there were some modestly sized guys like Harrison and Bruce who thrived, but the prototype was probably the big Keyshawn/Muhammad/Owens/Moss/Fitzgerald guys who had size. That can certainly still work, as evidenced by people like JuJu, Thomas, and Julio. On the other hand, the shift towards more passing and the new rules have obviously created increased opportunities for some of the smaller players since the WR/CB play is less physical overall. We've seen the great success of people like TY Hilton and Tyreek Hill.

It's a copycat league and when you look at the relatively high selections of Marquise Brown, Mecole Hardman, Parris Campbell, Andy Isabella, and Diontae Johnson this year; and people like Will Fuller, Phillip Dorsett, and John Ross is recent years, it's clear that teams covet the vertical threat. Ultimately, there's room for both big and small WRs to thrive if they have the necessary traits. Some of these guys are copycat picks though and definitely aren't going to live up to their billing, which is always the case with draft picks.

I don't have much to say about Butler and Harmon specifically, but it's always a juggling act to weigh your own subjective evaluations against the information the league is giving you. By letting those guys fall to day three, the league is saying they aren't great prospects. How much you want to bet against the house is up to you.

He was actually on the radar for a while. He always had a rare level of speed and intriguing athletic tools. I knew about him from early on and had him as a possible first round talent around 2014-2015.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/283290-dynasty-rankings/page/425/?tab=comments#comment-16483403

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/702717-dynasty-2015-draft-prospects/page/35/?tab=comments#comment-17542199

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/702717-dynasty-2015-draft-prospects/page/23/?tab=comments#comment-17314632

Did I know he would be so good? No, I thought he was more of a tweener. It wasn't obvious that he'd be so good at WR since his college career even before getting booted from OSU was as more of a gadget player and return man than a prolific pass catcher. Certainly you could see that he had something special athletically though.
Fair but those posts were at latest October of 2014. After that, he was kicked off Oklahoma State and was pretty unproductive West Alabama. 681 yards and 5 from scrimmage including a total of 54 scrimmage yards over his final 3 college games. This guy was not on the fantasy radar. Mike Clay had Tyreek as #73 for dynasty rookies after the draft, he didn't have a FBG thread untill October of his rookie year, etc. Nobody was heading into the NFL draft or dynasty drafts touting this guy as a fantasy prospect with a bright future. 

Just to put some perspective on it, Clay's 70-73 rookie prospects this year are Olabisi Johnson, John Ursua, Scott Miller, and Juwann Winfree. I have no clue who these guys are. 

Anyway, that's enough of the tangent. 

He was a sleeper pick for sure, but definitely a player that people were aware of. I had him as a priority waiver type of guy: someone I didn't want to draft, but was happy to grab off waivers. There were a lot of question marks (character, position, draft slot), but you can't teach 9.98s speed and if you watched his highlights it was clear that he had some unusual athletic traits.

He was a sleeper pick for sure, but definitely a player that people were aware of. I had him as a priority waiver type of guy: someone I didn't want to draft, but was happy to grab off waivers. There were a lot of question marks (character, position, draft slot), but you can't teach 9.98s speed and if you watched his highlights it was clear that he had some unusual athletic traits.
You were the first to tout Hills horn way back when and because of it I was able to snag him in most my leagues off the WW. You took a similar stance with Juju and that paid off handsomely as well. When EBF posts I listen 😎

Tyreek wasnt thought of as a fantasy weapon. He was thought of as a scumbag that could be a special gadget player/st'er if he could stop being such a scumbag. He was very much on the radar though. 

I passed on drafting/WW Hill because his QB was Alex Smith and KC was on a streak of about a 1,000 games without a WR TD.

Arizona's most dangerous weapon 

It's an understatement to say the Arizona Cardinals simply improved the wide receiver group. First-year quarterback Kyler Murray will have three potential rookie playmakers at the position, but the team's second-round acquisition stands out because of the state of the game.

In today's NFL, offensive coordinators isolate their pass-catchers in space and allow them to eat up yards after the catch. We've witnessed this with running backs hauling in targets out of the backfield. And there are athletic tight ends and wideouts who are capable of winning one-on-one matchups.

Andy Isabella knows how to create separation and leave defenders in the dust with his 4.31-second 40-yard speed. Head coach Kliff Kingsbury underscored those aspects to his game, per Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic.

"He had a lot of production inside and outside, and that's what is exciting to us, his ability to play on the outside and separate and create space," Kingsbury said. "He's dangerous on the inside as well, but he's a guy who showed he could do it both on a high level."

At times, Isabella uses his body more than his hands to catch the ball, but he's a scorcher on the field with possession. Murray can hit him in stride and watch the receiver do the rest to move the chains

Any recent updates on how he's looked? I was all in and hoping those "small hands" won't hinder his production. I do think speed, separation, and route running can win you a lot of playing time though 

Any recent updates on how he's looked? I was all in and hoping those "small hands" won't hinder his production. I do think speed, separation, and route running can win you a lot of playing time though 
Word is he’s looking good. The players are saying he’s really quiet and keeps to himself. Not a big deal, but a couple guys have said that now, Kirk being the latest. I’m just wondering if he’s fitting in with the team. Again, it’s probably nothing, but just something to keep an eye on.

Crushed college, crushed the combine, crushed the Senior Bowl, bought his own juggs machine, and has an incredible work ethic. No one has proven they can out-scout something as basic as NFL draft position, so the Butler over Isabella truthers were in trouble from day one. And it keeps sounding worse for them. When Kliff Kingsbury said "that would be amazing" about the prospect of getting Isabella in round two on draft day as part of the Rosen trade, the armchair scouts should have paused the game tape, listened and thought for a minute about what that actually meant. Isabella = Future star.

Should have been Senior Bowl MVP. This guy is super impressive to me. He reminds me a little bit of Steve Smith. I’m not sure where I’d feel comfortable ranking him yet but he is very much on my radar.
This is where I'm at. Can play everywhere. Fast.......60 - 900 - 6.

I don't currently have any picks after 1.06, but I'm considering jumping back in later for him if I'm able. Really like his tape and there's almost 0 buzz around him right now. 

I don't currently have any picks after 1.06, but I'm considering jumping back in later for him if I'm able. Really like his tape and there's almost 0 buzz around him right now. 
In FFPC leagues in May, I traded my 2020 1st in order to draft him in early 2nd several times in leagues where I have very strong teams, so next year's 1st should be late.

Users who are viewing this thread