What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Masters of the Box - Extra Stuffed Season 1 Finale! (1 Viewer)

Lost my #### toward the end of the episode when the elf comes back from checking the cabin and sneaks up on the lead guy. There's some genuinely good improv comedy that you guys all have together where you can see the potential. It'll certainly come together more as you learn how each of you play your characters. Why I'm hoping this can make it to a 2nd season. Would love to see how much more natural you guys can get with each other.

Finally got a chance to watch.  Overall, I dug it.

Production is pretty tight, particularly if the budget is as small as you're intimating.  Props to those guys/gals.  As mentioned, there are some edges to sand down on the dialoguing/back-and-forth, but I'm sure y'all know that.  It should all get taken care of with more experience doing this together.

Regardless, it's pretty rad that you're getting a chance at trying something like this.  Hope you can make a run of it.

Also wanted to say that Sean from "The Law Offices of Sean Lewis " looks exactly like every ambulance chaser/guy that puts his mug in the back of the city papers that get left in the drunk tanks on 33rd street that I've ever met. :)

I'll start by saying it is an interesting idea and concept.  I can see some potential in this, and I am curious to see the story unfold.  I hope you do not take this personally, but if I am being honest, it is not quite working for me yet.  I will likely watch another episode, though, to give it a chance.  

On the plus side, there are a some entertaining moments and some fun exchanges between players.  It is also neat to see the actors adjust to things being said like in the "blazing - lazing" scene or change their demeanor after a dice roll.   

On the downside, I am also a little put off listening to some of the voices coming out of mismatched characters.  The Blagdor character, for example, is especially troublesome.   Hearing Kelsey's voice come out of that actor's body is not working well for me.   Maybe this was done intentionally for some comedic effect?  I don't know, it just seems to annoy me.  I think the biggest issue to overcome, however, is that the game action moves too slow for the actors.  There are some awkward moments when characters are standing around with nothing to do or they are waiting for some particular dialogue.  I think this is partly why the DM's issues are noticeable.  If I am sitting around the table listening to him, it is a non issue, but listening to him when the character actors are on screen is a different feel.  Things in general are just moving too slowly for the role play actors.  Obviously, the D&D game has just started.  The premise of the adventure needs to develop a little further, so maybe this will change as the game continues.    I worry that the pace of the game play is going to be difficult to keep me hooked as a viewer

Sorry, I do not mean to be a downer.  I am just relaying my impressions after watching the first episode.  As I said earlier, it is an interesting endeavor, and it has peaked my interest enough to at least watch another episode, so that says something.

ETA...I showed my son the trailer as he has gotten into to D&D over the past few months.  He is interested in the concept as well and is looking forward to watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be more specific.  I think the acting part is fine, DM included.  The part that could use some touch up is the description of the world and the characters.  It would be a relatively easy fix, that for me, would keep the focus on the game and video.  I do it for my fantasy football videos and I have a fixed audience.
I will clarify I misunderstood the original critique.  I wasn't understanding it was only of the DM.

And, I would agree that the "scene setting" dialogue of the DM could be better rehearsed and read.  While I think his speech patterns are 100% accurate for a basement D&D game among friends (at least of what I remember of playing it all of twice some 30 years ago), transitioning it to this format requires a little bit more polish.  When he is going back and forth between the characters answering questions, etc., no change needed.

Was this line ad-libbed or planned?  Because the set up for "Why would you want to milk a dead cow even once?" was pretty much perfection.
After the DM sets up the quest, it's all ad lib/improv. When playing, we had certain budget limitations to keep in mind (insurance, SFX, etc) but restriction breeds creativity as it were. The only script the players had was the ad copy.

Even sometimes when the DM (read: me) is setting up the quest that's improvised too. But that goes into why and how I DM: I view that role as another player at a table.

I'll start by saying it is an interesting idea and concept.  I can see some potential in this, and I am curious to see the story unfold.  I hope you do not take this personally, but if I am being honest, it is not quite working for me yet.  I will likely watch another episode, though, to give it a chance.  

On the plus side, there are a some entertaining moments and some fun exchanges between players.  It is also neat to see the actors adjust to things being said like in the "blazing - lazing" scene or change their demeanor after a dice roll.   

On the downside, I am also a little put off listening to some of the voices coming out of mismatched characters.  The Blagdor character, for example, is especially troublesome.   Hearing Kelsey's voice come out of that actor's body is not working well for me.   Maybe this was done intentionally for some comedic effect?  I don't know, it just seems to annoy me.  I think the biggest issue to overcome, however, is that the game action moves too slow for the actors.  There are some awkward moments when characters are standing around with nothing to do or they are waiting for some particular dialogue.  I think this is partly why the DM's issues are noticeable.  If I am sitting around the table listening to him, it is a non issue, but listening to him when the character actors are on screen is a different feel.  Things in general are just moving too slowly for the role play actors.  Obviously, the D&D game has just started.  The premise of the adventure needs to develop a little further, so maybe this will change as the game continues.    I worry that the pace of the game play is going to be difficult to keep me hooked as a viewer

Sorry, I do not mean to be a downer.  I am just relaying my impressions after watching the first episode.  As I said earlier, it is an interesting endeavor, and it has peaked my interest enough to at least watch another episode, so that says something.

ETA...I showed my son the trailer as he has gotten into to D&D over the past few months.  He is interested in the concept as well and is looking forward to watching it.
It's interesting to hear different takes on the show.  For me, Kelsey as Blagdor is awesome.  Not only is it arresting because it's a female voice, but she has an accent (New Jersey?) and speaks in today's slang.  Over the top to be sure, but still hilarious to me.  As for the pauses and awkward moments with the fantasy characters as you mention, my view is that it adds to the central premise of the show.  The fantasy characters are avatars for the game players, so they are governed by whatever happens with the players.  If there's a long silence, they have to stand around looking at each other.  To put it another way, for me the show isn't so much about depicting the adventures of a band of fantasy characters on a quest, in which case the dialogue and movement would be much more fluid and natural.  Rather, the show is about a D&D game and watching how the players' interactions play out with avatars on screen.  I think that's sort of the charm of the project.

By the way, hagmania, congrats on the project launch.  I'll definitely be tuning in and wish you the best of luck in generating interest.

This took me back in time to when I played D&D with my friends, only this is better; my friends and I were a pretty homogenous group, and none of us would dare to play a female character, so extra props to the girl playing the dwarf. Playing a character that's different from you IRL is one of the underpinnings of games like D&D, and I enjoy seeing a visual of it. I don't have a youtube account, so I will have to create one so that I can throw some support your way.

It's interesting to hear different takes on the show.  For me, Kelsey as Blagdor is awesome.  Not only is it arresting because it's a female voice, but she has an accent (New Jersey?) and speaks in today's slang.  Over the top to be sure, but still hilarious to me.  As for the pauses and awkward moments with the fantasy characters as you mention, my view is that it adds to the central premise of the show.  The fantasy characters are avatars for the game players, so they are governed by whatever happens with the players.  If there's a long silence, they have to stand around looking at each other.  To put it another way, for me the show isn't so much about depicting the adventures of a band of fantasy characters on a quest, in which case the dialogue and movement would be much more fluid and natural.  Rather, the show is about a D&D game and watching how the players' interactions play out with avatars on screen.  I think that's sort of the charm of the project.

By the way, hagmania, congrats on the project launch.  I'll definitely be tuning in and wish you the best of luck in generating interest.
Yeah, in the reddit thread our producer claimed that the experience at the table is the desired effect of the product. My favorite parts of E1 are "substantial amount" and "he looks genuine ...ly frightened" and Terkel's facial expression is very exaggeratedly changed.

Yeah, in the reddit thread our producer claimed that the experience at the table is the desired effect of the product. My favorite parts of E1 are "substantial amount" and "he looks genuine ...ly frightened" and Terkel's facial expression is very exaggeratedly changed.
That was one of my favorite parts, but for a different reason.  I liked that the paper said "substantial amount" instead of having a number.

Not exactly my thing as I never played the game but it's a cool idea, the production is better than expected and it looks like everyone involved is having fun. What more can you ask for...good luck with it!

Valid points.  Maybe I need to look at it through a different lens as I was expecting to follow the story of the game a little more than what materialized.  Regarding Blagdor/Kelsey...I thought similarly to you initially during the trailer, but over the course of episode 1, it wore quickly on me.  

Valid points.  Maybe I need to look at it through a different lens as I was expecting to follow the story of the game a little more than what materialized.  Regarding Blagdor/Kelsey...I thought similarly to you initially during the trailer, but over the course of episode 1, it wore quickly on me.  
Feedback of all kinds is appreciated. We have what we have for season 1; it's wrapped, ready to release, maybe small tweaks like adding a "Previously on..." and so forth. But we are taking every bit of input for season 2 and beyond. We've gotten a ton of response from people outside the hobby which is really what the producers are trying to hit on for true success. That's a reason why the episodes are 30 minutes, so casual audience can tune in. Critical Role is probably the most popular media in the fandom and their "episodes" are weekly 3-4 hour marathons.

I kind of agree that it would have been nice for something to have happened in the first episode, action-wise. that was the fun of playing- at least as a kid. and it'll be hilarious, I'm sure, to see what kind of special effects/props/makeup they use for the actors on this if it's non-human involved. also the inevitable whining that happens when somebody fumbles. 

I thought I'd love the dwarf, given the promo...and I do... but I grew to prefer the elf and hag the most because of their RP and subtlety playing it. the other woman doesn't really seem to be immersed in any character yet... feels like she's playing herself, and to a degree, the leader of the party too.

but I agree with BB about the human in the "avatar" nature that goes hand in hand with the awkward silences, stuttering or malaprops.

@hagmania have you seen all the episodes yet? or are you getting to view them in real-time with your adoring fans?

really looking forward to how they do any battle scenes- critical hits, fumbles, magic, monsters, etc

not to step on toes, but this brought me down a youtube D&D rabbit hole. 

If you like D&D campaigns, have you heard of Critical Role? jUst tapping into it now, but it looks fun too—ovall production capabilities look better/better budget. But it doesn't appear that they only do the roleplay, not the character stuff. 

not to step on toes, but this brought me down a youtube D&D rabbit hole. 

If you like D&D campaigns, have you heard of Critical Role? jUst tapping into it now, but it looks fun too—ovall production capabilities look better/better budget. But it doesn't appear that they only do the roleplay, not the character stuff. 
Yeah man, just above you. And you're not stepping on any toes; they're the biggest game in town. Professional voice actors doing characters with a superb DM.

Feedback of all kinds is appreciated. We have what we have for season 1; it's wrapped, ready to release, maybe small tweaks like adding a "Previously on..." and so forth. But we are taking every bit of input for season 2 and beyond. We've gotten a ton of response from people outside the hobby which is really what the producers are trying to hit on for true success. That's a reason why the episodes are 30 minutes, so casual audience can tune in. Critical Role is probably the most popular media in the fandom and their "episodes" are weekly 3-4 hour marathons.

@glvsav37 you should check out The Adventure Zone as well. They're very close on popularity levels with Critical Role if not more (haven't checked in a while); they tour the country with live performances to sold out venues and graphic novels based on their adventures are NY Times bestsellers. Three brothers and their dad who have been in the entertainment business for a long, long time.

will do @hagmania  I had no idea that D&D was this alive and well, esp online. Thanks for your show re-sparking my interest. JUst need the time to digest all fo this now....4 hours is a lot of time to invest. 

will do @hagmania  I had no idea that D&D was this alive and well, esp online. Thanks for your show re-sparking my interest. JUst need the time to digest all fo this now....4 hours is a lot of time to invest. 
If you check out Critical Role, start with Campaign 2. The first campaign is a million episodes long and they started with poor audio/production quality and the characters were already level 9 bc they'd been playing off camera for years. Campaign 2 just started a year ago, top notch production and they started with new characters, just meeting each other, at level 2. Much easier to get into

@hagmania have you seen all the episodes yet? or are you getting to view them in real-time with your adoring fans?

really looking forward to how they do any battle scenes- critical hits, fumbles, magic, monsters, etc
I have seen clips. The magic looks... OK, I think. Pretty good even.

I grew to prefer the elf and hag the most because of their RP and subtlety playing it.
So far, this guy is owning it (the live action dude, that is.)  The subtle facial ticks when hes standing around waiting, the looks down the nose, physically portraying the chatacters/player's exasperation with.....everything.  Hes got a really good grasp on it.  Plus, he isnt exactly to trope either ("Male elf?  Gotcha: skinny and effeminate.") which is more interesting.

On the Crit Role tip:  No one should be comparing any other of these sorts of streams to those guys.  They are a group of "professional charming people", some of whom have been getting paid to be charming for a couple decades.  Plus, theyve been playing together for a long time.  Then you throw in Mercer, who is an amazing GM.  Of course the dialogue/back and forth between them all is great. :)

Even TAZ, which I love, pales in comparison in that respect.  The McElroys stuff during the "Balance" arc, even at the end, was pretty freeform and all over the place.  But honestly, it felt more like the D&D i started with.  Loose on everything, hand waving rules, not everyone knew what they were doing, etc etc (ffs...Clint McElroy was playing a cleric that refused to remember he could heal).  Totally different vibe from CR, but equally great.

This thing Hags is doing reminds me more of what it might be like if we were watching an MMO/3rd person RPG play out in live action.  When the players are spending time on back and forth/etc, you get to see their live "avatars" doing the real world version of idle animations, etc.

hagmania said:
Even sometimes when the DM (read: me) is setting up the quest that's improvised too. But that goes into why and how I DM: I view that role as another player at a table.
This confuses me - are you talking about being the DM in other campaigns, not the one that's being filmed?

Dear @hagmania,

I’m a big fan of your work in the bird gaming genre. When did hot girls start playing D&D because it was definitely not like that in the early to mid eighties.

Thanks.

Edit: after seeing a third party's reaction, I have a bit more favorable eye toward it. Seems like the point of this episode was to A) show off spell casting and B) feature Briana, the actress playing the dryad. Apparently her involvement was a biggish deal.

I'll probably watch Ep. 2 tomorrow (looking forward to it!), but I did finish the Hags interview today:

• I liked the term Beverly Hills Ninja.
  • I would not have guessed Hags was hoping to, or least open to, playing a female character.
  • Hags has a wide'ish range of voice accents.
  • It was cool seeing the dual interview with Hags (voice) and the live actor - I liked the synergy between them.

Good second episode imo, action always helps.  I do think the ending was a bit abrupt, it could use with some polishing of transition between episodes.  I realize that may be hard since you were in a single long play session, but the DM could help with that with some pauses or something after action sequences that could be edited out if that wasn't an episode end point, or used as a transition point.

Good second episode imo, action always helps.  I do think the ending was a bit abrupt, it could use with some polishing of transition between episodes.  I realize that may be hard since you were in a single long play session, but the DM could help with that with some pauses or something after action sequences that could be edited out if that wasn't an episode end point, or used as a transition point.
I think this is easily addressed for S2, which is totally gonna be a thing. (I hope!)

much better showing for the DM here, but I agree. I'm no director, but maybe that should have recorded him saying some lines like "And we will pause here...come back for the next epp..." and then edit them in where appropriate.  I get that it is one long session, but not for us, the viewer. Its ok, to guide us as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread