What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Howard Schultz 2019 presidential annoucement (1 Viewer)

stlrams

Footballguy
Will run as a centralist independent.  On 60 minutes tonight.  I lean replubican but like what he has to say as the dems and Republicans have lost their way which is doing what’s best for our country.  Thoughts from the board?   

Will run as a centralist independent.  On 60 minutes tonight.  I lean replubican but like what he has to say as the dems and Republicans have lost their way which is doing what’s best for our country.  Thoughts from the board?   
He sucks.  He wouldn't win a school board election in Seattle.

How is this related to his run?  Please elaborate.
I have a hard time believing anything this guy says after watching his fiasco with the Sonics. How he dealt with the team, dealt with the city, and how he handled the sale of the team. The guy is a classy used car salesman. 

No thanks. Plenty of other people that I can support. 

For a supposedly smart guy, he doesn't seem to understand how American politics works. Say what you will about Trump (and I have), at least he knew that you can only get elected by going through one of the major parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hard time believing anything this guy says after watching his fiasco with the Sonics. How he dealt with the team, dealt with the city, and how he handled the sale of the team. The guy is a classy used car salesman. 

No thanks. Plenty of other people that I can support. 
With all due respect, he has been very progressive with respect to employee benefits.. 

With all due respect, he has been very progressive with respect to employee benefits.. 
The guy could grant me 3 wishes and I'd still pass on this weasel  :lol:

Irrational, yeah a little but there's going to be 20 other people I'll have to pick from. Him syphoning off enough votes to allow Trump to win again would be like the cherry on top of the crap sundae.

Excuse my ignorance, what’s his story?
Guy created a global icon in Starbucks. Bought a sports team, immediately got pissy when the players wanted to get paid, the city didn’t want to pay for a new stadium to replace the one that had just been redone, ran team poorly, sold team to a guy who he knew would move it because he was so butthurt. 

Guy created a global icon in Starbucks. Bought a sports team, immediately got pissy when the players wanted to get paid, the city didn’t want to pay for a new stadium to replace the one that had just been redone, ran team poorly, sold team to a guy who he knew would move it because he was so butthurt. 
I’m intrigued by another option from the business world not named Trump...doesn’t sound like this is the guy. If Cuban was serious when he said he may run I would watch that closely. I think we will see some better options from outside DC next election but not sure who would prefer. 

I’m intrigued by another option from the business world not named Trump...doesn’t sound like this is the guy. If Cuban was serious when he said he may run I would watch that closely. I think we will see some better options from outside DC next election but not sure who would prefer. 
Sonicnation salutes you.

Schultz has done plenty for Seattle, created jobs, local based global company, etc. But man he handled the Sonics fiasco like a complete putz.

I want nothing to do with anyone going for the Executive Branch who wants to “run Washington like a business”.  I want nothing to do with anyone who thinks being a business man, successful or not, is preparation alone and qualification for the most powerful position in the world.  I am almost equally against career politicians, but I make exceptions if you’re at least climbing the ladder, so to speak.  Get your feet wet first, then we’ll think about the top spot as an option

Bloomberg maybe what you are looking for? 

Bloomberg maybe what you are looking for? 
I would be open to it. He’s had the itch and he hates Trump....those debates would be gold. He’s flipped parties but I believe is more or a centrist? What others do you think throw their hat in the ring? It’s going to be interesting for sure. 

I want nothing to do with anyone going for the Executive Branch who wants to “run Washington like a business”.  I want nothing to do with anyone who thinks being a business man, successful or not, is preparation alone and qualification for the most powerful position in the world.  I am almost equally against career politicians, but I make exceptions if you’re at least climbing the ladder, so to speak.  Get your feet wet first, then we’ll think about the top spot as an option
This.

I can’t believe there is anyone who still thinks “we need a businessman in the White House!” Is a good idea.

Seems like a decent guy and I agree with a lot of his positions. In fact I may be closer to him than to any other candidate. 

But- even without the example of Trump, I just can’t see Democrats ever selecting somebody without political experience. Republicans can and did, because their philosophy of governing is very different. 

Funniest part of Howard Schultz interview: “Not only will I be on the ballot on all 50 states, I will be on the ballot in every county and every district.” Yeah, my man, you only get on the ballot in states.
Oh wow, this might not be our guy huh.  :lmao:

Hard pass.  I said two years ago before we knew how horrible Trump was as a person that he would be a horrible POTUS because HE HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE’S DOING.  How we could possibly repeat that mistake is mind bottling.

Seems like a decent guy and I agree with a lot of his positions. In fact I may be closer to him than to any other candidate. 

But- even without the example of Trump, I just can’t see Democrats ever selecting somebody without political experience. Republicans can and did, because their philosophy of governing is very different. 
Update- when I wrote this I wasn’t aware he was planning to run as an independent. Forget it. Anything that would strengthen Trump’s support by drawing the center away from the Democrats doesn’t work for me. 

I’m not necessarily opposed to the idea of an independent as President, but only after Trumpism has been defeated. Not now. 

I'm generally in agreement, but two points:

1. I lived in NYC for the entirety of Bloomberg's mayoralty, and I view him as the exception that proves the rule. He wasn't perfect by any means, but I will definitely give him credit for being a very good manager who hired some very smart people and generally running the city well. Then again, I also think Bloomberg was uniquely successful as a businessman, so maybe that's the tell. (And for the record, I don't think he should be president either).

2. You didn't do this, but anyone who cites Trump as a reason not to elect a businessman doesn't know what they're talking about. Even among business types, Trump is considered a joke. The only thing he's ever done successfully is promote himself.

Get your feet wet first, then we’ll think about the top spot as an option
Of course, by that logic, George W. Bush should have been a great president.

I'm not really sure why the last couple of years would lead anyone to believe that this is the time that America needs a billionaire with no political experience to run for President.

But I'm also not sure why millions of people like to spend $5 for burnt coffee. So, he may know something that I don't.

I’m not necessarily opposed to the idea of an independent as President, but only after Trumpism has been defeated. Not now. 
I actually think people underestimate how ineffective an indy president would be. We've basically reached the point now where, in order to get anything passed, a president needs to have a majority and members who are willing to take the tough votes for him, even if it ends up costing them their jobs in the next election. An independent would have no such loyalty, so members of Congress on both sides of the aisle would constantly be looking to undercut him. Most likely what would eventually happen is that he would be co-opted by one of the parties (in Schultz's case, probably the Democrats) and become a de facto member.

2. You didn't do this, but anyone who cites Trump as a reason not to elect a businessman doesn't know what they're talking about. Even among business types, Trump is considered a joke. The only thing he's ever done successfully is promote himself.
Well, I don’t know how many examples we have other than Trump - basically he’s the only one, right?  Even if he’s the worst business man in the world it still doesn’t hold that the best one would make a great President.  

Users who are viewing this thread