What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I don't think Jeff Bezos donates enough (Was - Bezos is pathetic) (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Last edited by a moderator:
Post your personal percentage, guy.
It’s multiples upon multiples higher than his, and I get the sense that he can afford it slightly more than me.

But feel free to defend the richest man on Earth who donates .09% of his fortune to charitable causes if you want.

It’s multiples upon multiples higher than his, and I get the sense that he can afford it slightly more than me.

But feel free to defend the richest man on Earth who donates .09% of his fortune to charitable causes if you want.
To be fair, it was .09 percent until he gave $2 bn to a single cause (roughly 13x that amount in a single donation.). That’s what the article is about. 

I'm not defending him.  Just asking you to post yours since you are ridiculing a guy who has all his info out there to the public.  Also, why did you pick an arbitrary time point (before the $2B donation)?

I'm not defending him.  Just asking you to post yours since you are ridiculing a guy who has all his info out there to the public.  Also, why did you pick an arbitrary time point (before the $2B donation)?
I think he prob knew he was coming under scrutiny, but whatever - this doesn’t feel like giving bc he wants to, feels forced, imo. $2B sounds like a lot of money, unless you own 15% of Amazon, then it isn’t.

FWIW, I gave a homeless mother $100 a few months ago, I don’t make $1mm a year, unfortunately, so I’m ahead of him on that by itself. Think I sent another $100 to Chance for Hope, but that might’ve been 2017, need to check my statements. A healthy donation to my sons school, and my annual to St Jude’s, my percentage is about 25x his.

This seems like a fair criticism to me.  I have no problem with Jeff Bezos making a ton of money. He solved a huge logistics problem and made lots of people's lives better as a result.  But everyone should give back, and he doesn't seem to be doing so at a rate that one might expect.  

I like to donate to Doctors Without Borders.  And the National Center for Science Education.

I avoid Amazon when I can, because he treats employees poorly and is a genuine ####### from what I hear.
I know people who work there. Typically, a tech company gives stock options that vest 25% after a year and 6.25% a quarter thereafter for 3 years.

Amazon employees vest once at the end of 4 years. People go there to get paid, not bc it’s a good place to work, it’s quite the opposite from what I hear. If they want you back, they throw another pile for 4 years at you. You burn out, get paid, leave.

That’s true for a lot of reasons, but I’m not going to critique someone’s charitable giving.  By definition it’s voluntary giving. 
When you have that much, to not give is pretty disgusting, imo. 

I’m not talking about a guy with $10mm that is a tightwad, I’m talking about the richest man on Earth, who has more than enough to supply future Bezos generations until humans are extinct. 

If he wasn’t a scumbag, he’d pick some causes and do some good, I.E. Bill Gates.

I’m not talking about a guy with $10mm that is a tightwad, I’m talking about the richest man on Earth, who has more than enough to supply future Bezos generations until humans are extinct. 

If he wasn’t a scumbag, he’d pick some causes and do some good, I.E. Bill Gates.
I don’t care about what others have, it’s voluntary giving. I don’t see him looking for publicity, its others being interested in his business. 

FWIW, I gave a homeless mother $100 a few months ago, I don’t make $1mm a year, unfortunately, so I’m ahead of him on that by itself. Think I sent another $100 to Chance for Hope, but that might’ve been 2017, need to check my statements. A healthy donation to my sons school, and my annual to St Jude’s, my percentage is about 25x his.
Many thanks brother!  I hope you keep up with our programs so that you know your contribution has been put to good use. 

Yeah, I think when you can set aside $2 bn per living member of your immediate family, everything else should really be used for pretty much any decent cause. 

It’s sort of interesting to me that he has created a vehicle whereby a portion of his company’s profits can be directed to charity (Amazon Smile).  I’m not sure what the numbers are, but I would think they’d have to be substantial. Still, I’d like to see him be a bit more philanthropic on a personal level. 

I don’t care about what others have, it’s voluntary giving. I don’t see him looking for publicity, its others being interested in his business. 
Yeah, Trump is arguably worse because he sought all sorts of personal publicity through his Foundation but didn’t actually donate very much (in addition to doing all sorts of shady stuff with the money that other people donated).

Bezos is not obligated. There are many who don`t give anything. Those who are receiving will be happy.
Nobody is obligated, but when you’re the richest person in the world and that number is so ridiculously low, it speaks to who a person really is.

Nobody is obligated, but when you’re the richest person in the world and that number is so ridiculously low, it speaks to who a person really is.
A man who worked his ### off and changed the world?

how’s the view from the cheap seats?

Since the year 2000, Buffet at almost $50B, Gates at $20B, the founders of Google collectively at $10B.

Their collective wealth is about $250B, they’ve donated $80B in the last 18 years, he’s donated $146mm, and when the spotlight got too bright, he pledged $2B. 

Way to go Jeff :applause:

Some of you guys should take the Amazon nuts out of your mouths.

Since the year 2000, Buffet at almost $50B, Gates at $20B, the founders of Google collectively at $10B.

Their collective wealth is about $250B, they’ve donated $80B in the last 18 years, he’s donated $146mm, and when the spotlight got too bright, he pledged $2B. 

Way to go Jeff :applause:

Some of you guys should take the Amazon nuts out of your mouths.
You’re not angry enough about this 

Is it okay to shame someone who has created over 600,000 jobs?
To be clear--I have no problem with Bezos. I believe any donations are good donations. I personally custom design and donate anywhere between 2-3 pieces of jewelry per month and donate to cool/local causes (wheelchair mission, Casa, Choc hospital just to name a few..etc).  With that said--Bezos has created jobs now--but my guess is that looking to the future--he's focusing on eliminating a ton of jobs through automation.   Even with that--job creation is not "charitable". He's hiring a work force that will make him richer--so one can argue that he should be thankful for his workforce and not the other way around.  

If he leaves Amazon and then never gives a dime, then I’ll be mad at him.  Until then, It’s probably better for all concerned that he spends 100% of his time on Amazon issues.  Just look at Gates, giving away that much money is a full time job in itself that requires the built up organization.  

If he leaves Amazon and then never gives a dime, then I’ll be mad at him.  Until then, It’s probably better for all concerned that he spends 100% of his time on Amazon issues.  Just look at Gates, giving away that much money is a full time job in itself that requires the built up organization.  
Think he could hire a few smart people and do the legwork on issues he cares about, jmho.

To be honest, I think I’d rather be a Scrooge and piss off simple minded people. Then give it all to good causes once I’m gone. 

I mean honestly, Bezos has a pretty damn good track record of turning money into more money,. Let’s let him keep at that so there’s more for everyone when the end comes. 

Users who are viewing this thread