Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Devin ‘Motor’ Singletary, Bills


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please be a cramp please be a cramp please be a cramp please be a cramp please be a cramp please be a cramp 

The RAS grade they gave Singletary I don't get at all and I would strongly disagree with. I was not high on Singletary during the draft last year so I agree with their athletic score but after watchin

https://youtu.be/ZD2T6pwfdZ0 Watch that and tell me he didn't get explosive plays or that he's not a good receiver. He had so many big plays where he got tackled at the one or two.  He could easi

1 hour ago, Faust said:

The RAS grade they gave Singletary I don't get at all and I would strongly disagree with. I was not high on Singletary during the draft last year so I agree with their athletic score but after watching him play I see elite vision, elite ability to make defenders miss in a phone booth, great balance, and good routes. 

He's a great buy low as I think he comes out and leads the backfield in carries/receiving. 

His vision is special and it's how he makes up for his lack of athleticism. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Milkman said:

The RAS grade they gave Singletary I don't get at all and I would strongly disagree with. I was not high on Singletary during the draft last year so I agree with their athletic score but after watching him play I see elite vision, elite ability to make defenders miss in a phone booth, great balance, and good routes. 

He's a great buy low as I think he comes out and leads the backfield in carries/receiving. 

His vision is special and it's how he makes up for his lack of athleticism. 

Love seeing you say this as I just acquired him in dynasty. I love the kid - he was fun to watch last year & he was a bargain in most redraft leagues. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

Love watching him too, but with Moss & Allen vulturing TDs, I suspect he will produce very disappointing TD numbers. I've seen him going in the 3rd, and I think that's way too high. 

Allen is a bigger concern, IMO. But PPR he should still be a fine RB2. 

my dynasty team is structured on having studs everywhere & throwing a couple of plug & pray RBs in there. for that style of play, Singletary is kind of perfect - he’s unlikely to put up a doughnut, and he could have a couple monster games with a big play or 3.

i agree his ceiling is capped by circumstances surrounding him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He'll a solid RB2.  

He got 12ish rushes a game despite the presence of Gore.  I don't worry a ton about Moss.  I think Singletary showed a lot last year, and they want to get him the ball.  

But Allen is going to kill his goalline TD's

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JackReacher said:

Love watching him too, but with Moss & Allen vulturing TDs, I suspect he will produce very disappointing TD numbers. I've seen him going in the 3rd, and I think that's way too high. 

I'd agree with this. 

I don't think its a lock Singletary gets 3rd down work either, as Moss is a better blocker and has better hands. 

I think this is very likely a 50-50 backfield, but also a very productive one. Dynasty wise, 'I've got both guys in the RB20-30 range. 

ETA: I do think Moss is a pretty big concern. They used similar draft capital on him as they did Singletary, and that was with Singletary already on the roster. I'd be shocked if Moss only saw Gore's role. They could have gotten a guy to do that a lot later(or in FA) especially considering they didn't have a 1st round pick, they must really like Moss to take him as high as they did.

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Love seeing you say this as I just acquired him in dynasty. I love the kid - he was fun to watch last year & he was a bargain in most redraft leagues. 

Singletary is a top 10 RB in my dynasty rankings. Yes Allen will steal GL carries but Moss is not a threat. The Bill's needed RB depth. There was nobody else really on the roster behind Singletary. They view Singletary as a RB with special vision. That is exactly what he is so kudos to the Bill's scouting department for seeing that. They also really turned to Singletary in the 2nd half of the season and he did well. The 2nd half is the workload he's in line for this season. Check it out. 

Combining carries and targets the last 7 games including the one playoff game 16, 23, 18, 25, 24, 16, and 20. 

The Bill's hit it big on Singletary and they know it. 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Milkman said:

Singletary is a top 10 RB in my dynasty rankings. Yes Allen will steal GL carries but Moss is not a threat. The Bill's needed RB depth. There was nobody else really on the roster behind Singletary. They view Singletary as a RB with special vision. That is exactly what he is so kudos to the Bill's scouting department for seeing that. They also really turned to Singletary in the 2nd half of the season and he did well. The 2nd half is the workload he's in line for this season. Check it out. 

Combining carries and targets the last 7 games including the one playoff game 16, 23, 18, 25, 24, 16, and 20. 

The Bill's hit it big on Singletary and they know it. 

 

 

Man I hope you are right, I’m looking at keeping him over AJ Brown and that link above was depressing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

Man I hope you are right, I’m looking at keeping him over AJ Brown and that link above was depressing. 

Go watch his highlights from last year. It'll make you feel better. I have no idea how they watched that and got a metric from it that said he's JAG. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s not a burner and won’t ever be the type of guy that breaks off 80 yard runs. But he has functional NFL speed which you can see if you watch his highlights or just watch him play in general. He has phenomenal vision, understands how to set guys up, has smooth hips and footwork that lets him out subtle moves on guys to gain extra yards. His feet are always driving which gives him those few extra yards and he often runs through arm tackles. He was also a pretty decent weapon out of the backfield (when he wasn’t dropping passes).

I think it was Matt Waldman last year who put out a video breaking down just how awesome Singletary’s footwork is. He has an innate ability to make tiny moves that setup a defender. Tiny hesitations, or body leans, or steps that get defenders moving the wrong way or freeze them for an instant. Maybe his lack of speed will ultimately limit him, but I think he has an elite understanding of how to play the RB position and elite instincts that can make up for any athletic deficits.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://youtu.be/ZD2T6pwfdZ0

Watch that and tell me he didn't get explosive plays or that he's not a good receiver. He had so many big plays where he got tackled at the one or two.  He could easily have gotten more touchdowns than he did, and I assure you, the Bills do not want their quarterback to be their goal line back. Touchdown regression will swing the other way. 

The Bills didn't prioritize getting someone else to start. They prioritized getting a running back because they had nobody else on the depth chart. They got the last good rb in this draft class once the other good ones were off the board. They got a big body who can play in cold weather games, and a guy who is versatile enough to play well if Singletary misses time.  They got a guy who can compete.  But they didnt draft a replacement. Watch that video and tell me why you would want to replace that.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Milkman said:

The RAS grade they gave Singletary I don't get at all and I would strongly disagree with. I was not high on Singletary during the draft last year so I agree with their athletic score but after watching him play I see elite vision, elite ability to make defenders miss in a phone booth, great balance, and good routes. 

He's a great buy low as I think he comes out and leads the backfield in carries/receiving. 

His vision is special and it's how he makes up for his lack of athleticism. 

The RAS grade is their athletic score compared against the other RBs in the draft class, that's why it's so low. It doesn't account for his balance, moves, etc.

5 hours ago, Milkman said:

Singletary is a top 10 RB in my dynasty rankings. Yes Allen will steal GL carries but Moss is not a threat. The Bill's needed RB depth. There was nobody else really on the roster behind Singletary. They view Singletary as a RB with special vision. That is exactly what he is so kudos to the Bill's scouting department for seeing that. They also really turned to Singletary in the 2nd half of the season and he did well. The 2nd half is the workload he's in line for this season. Check it out. 

Combining carries and targets the last 7 games including the one playoff game 16, 23, 18, 25, 24, 16, and 20. 

The Bill's hit it big on Singletary and they know it. 

He also had a grand total of 1 TD during those 7 games, and you have to factor in "fresh legs" into his performance. Moss absolutely is a threat IMO- you don't use a 3rd round pick (which is the same round they used on Singletary the year prior) just to fill a roster spot, they could have signed any number of cheap vets if that's all they were looking to do. It seems much more likely that they are planning on some sort of split, and Allen and Moss will very likely get the lions share of TD's. Top 10 is way too high IMO.

2 hours ago, Milkman said:

Go watch his highlights from last year. It'll make you feel better. I have no idea how they watched that and got a metric from it that said he's JAG. 

Again, their metric is purely based on athleticism- he's less than JAG athletically. Love pretty much everything else about him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Man I hope you are right, I’m looking at keeping him over AJ Brown and that link above was depressing. 

Are there other considerations, like salary or something? If not, AJ Brown is the easy choice IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, humpback said:

The RAS grade is their athletic score compared against the other RBs in the draft class, that's why it's so low. It doesn't account for his balance, moves, etc.

He also had a grand total of 1 TD during those 7 games, and you have to factor in "fresh legs" into his performance. Moss absolutely is a threat IMO- you don't use a 3rd round pick (which is the same round they used on Singletary the year prior) just to fill a roster spot, they could have signed any number of cheap vets if that's all they were looking to do. It seems much more likely that they are planning on some sort of split, and Allen and Moss will very likely get the lions share of TD's. Top 10 is way too high IMO.

Again, their metric is purely based on athleticism- he's less than JAG athletically. Love pretty much everything else about him.

Yeah I misspoke I meant the PFN OSM score. I get he's not an elite athlete. Not sure how they got such a low score on his performance last year when he was nothing short of amazing when he got the ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, humpback said:

Are there other considerations, like salary or something? If not, AJ Brown is the easy choice IMO.

I think Brown would cost me an 8 and Singletary a 9 in non ppr....man I was thinking it was the other way .

 

No salary or anything like that.
 

UGH 😂

Edited by GoBirds
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

He’s not a burner and won’t ever be the type of guy that breaks off 80 yard runs. But he has functional NFL speed which you can see if you watch his highlights or just watch him play in general. He has phenomenal vision, understands how to set guys up, has smooth hips and footwork that lets him out subtle moves on guys to gain extra yards. His feet are always driving which gives him those few extra yards and he often runs through arm tackles. He was also a pretty decent weapon out of the backfield (when he wasn’t dropping passes).

I think it was Matt Waldman last year who put out a video breaking down just how awesome Singletary’s footwork is. He has an innate ability to make tiny moves that setup a defender. Tiny hesitations, or body leans, or steps that get defenders moving the wrong way or freeze them for an instant. Maybe his lack of speed will ultimately limit him, but I think he has an elite understanding of how to play the RB position and elite instincts that can make up for any athletic deficits.

Do you see him taking control of the Bills backfield and being the lead dog the next few years or just as likely to end up as the B back in a RBBC? Trying to gauge his keeper potential. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Do you see him taking control of the Bills backfield and being the lead dog the next few years or just as likely to end up as the B back in a RBBC? Trying to gauge his keeper potential. 

I think he’s the guy, at least for this year. But I don’t think the Bills are necessarily looking at him as a 400 carry take 90% of carries type guy. I think they want some mix and that there will be a decent split. But saying that, they gushed about Singletary after the draft last year. They haven’t done the same thing with Moss this year, so I think they have a clear preference for now for Singletary. The offense definitely was at its best last year when he was heavily involved in the offense.

And I’ll say it wasn’t just the Buffalo front office or coaching staff that talked Devin up last year. He got a ton of praise from Frank Gore and a lot of other veterans on the team that were really impressed with him. You could tell it was genuine too and not just typical fluff.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

I think he’s the guy, at least for this year. But I don’t think the Bills are necessarily looking at him as a 400 carry take 90% of carries type guy. I think they want some mix and that there will be a decent split. But saying that, they gushed about Singletary after the draft last year. They haven’t done the same thing with Moss this year, so I think they have a clear preference for now for Singletary. The offense definitely was at its best last year when he was heavily involved in the offense.

And I’ll say it wasn’t just the Buffalo front office or coaching staff that talked Devin up last year. He got a ton of praise from Frank Gore and a lot of other veterans on the team that were really impressed with him. You could tell it was genuine too and not just typical fluff.

I think this is much more about the virus than anything, they weren't able to bring players in for visits and haven't been able to do much of anything in person. That said, I've seen them praise Moss, and really all you need to know is that they tried to trade up to get him and spent roughly the same draft capital on him as they did on Singletary.

Who knows how it all shakes out, it's entirely possible that Singletary takes the reins and runs away with the bulk of the work, but people are being naive if they think Moss is zero threat or he was just brought in because they had no one else at RB. They obviously like him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, humpback said:

I think this is much more about the virus than anything, they weren't able to bring players in for visits and haven't been able to do much of anything in person. That said, I've seen them praise Moss, and really all you need to know is that they tried to trade up to get him and spent roughly the same draft capital on him as they did on Singletary.

Who knows how it all shakes out, it's entirely possible that Singletary takes the reins and runs away with the bulk of the work, but people are being naive if they think Moss is zero threat or he was just brought in because they had no one else at RB. They obviously like him.

The "all you need to know' doesnt work for me as they literally had no other RB on the team worth a carry.  That's when you must secure depth. And of course they always try to draft guys they like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bostonfred said:

https://youtu.be/ZD2T6pwfdZ0

Watch that and tell me he didn't get explosive plays or that he's not a good receiver. He had so many big plays where he got tackled at the one or two.  He could easily have gotten more touchdowns than he did, and I assure you, the Bills do not want their quarterback to be their goal line back. Touchdown regression will swing the other way. 

The Bills didn't prioritize getting someone else to start. They prioritized getting a running back because they had nobody else on the depth chart. They got the last good rb in this draft class once the other good ones were off the board. They got a big body who can play in cold weather games, and a guy who is versatile enough to play well if Singletary misses time.  They got a guy who can compete.  But they didnt draft a replacement. Watch that video and tell me why you would want to replace that.

I don't think anyone believes they drafted Moss to replace Singletary but the staff has shown they prefer a two back system - look at how much Gore was used last season - and Moss is a very solid runner, pass blocker and receiver as well. The draft did not diminish Singletary's value as most people figured the Bills would add another back. Moss is probably being dismissed too easily by some in here though - considering this is the Singletary thread that's not too surprising though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I don't think anyone believes they drafted Moss to replace Singletary but the staff has shown they prefer a two back system - look at how much Gore was used last season - and Moss is a very solid runner, pass blocker and receiver as well. The draft did not diminish Singletary's value as most people figured the Bills would add another back. Moss is probably being dismissed too easily by some in here though - considering this is the Singletary thread that's not too surprising though.

I am not writing off Moss.  I agree that both will get carries.  This team looks a lot like the Ravens - mobile quarterback, heavy run game with multiple RBs getting touches, decent receiving options if needed, strong defense.  

I just don't think the Bills drafting Moss is a major change for Singletary.  It might cap his upside a little, but not that much.  

First, I see Singletary as a focal point of their offense, just like he was the second half of last year. That wasn't fresh legs - his yards per carry were better in the first half than the second, but his usage went up and he looked up to the task.  He gets explosive runs, he can run inside or out, he catches the ball well.

Second, a lot of people talk about Allen stealing all the goal line carries but I think it's unlikely they design their offense around their QB running everything in. I also think Singletary broke a lot of runs and got tackled at the one or two last year, so there's room for positive regression.  And he missed a few games with injury or getting rested for the playoffs. He was a stud at the goal line in college. I think he has double digit touchdown potential.  It's capped, but not completely. 

Third, there's room for moss to get a lot of touches without hurting Singletary's production.  In the final 8 weeks when Singletary was the clear rb1, he had 131 carries (and 20 catches).  Gore had 85 carries.  So it's not like moss needs to suck for Singletary to flourish.  

Fourth, let's look at Singletary himself.  He averaged over 5 yards per carry, tied for 5th in the NFL.  He averaged 5 yards or more per carry in all but a handful of games.  Here are the ones where he didnt average 5 plus

7 for 26 vs the dolphins in his first game back from injury.  He only got 3 carries and 4 catches the following week. It's safe to say he wasn't 100 percent yet, and this was Gore's revenge game against Miami. 

20 for 95 vs washington. He added 3 catches for 45. 

14 for 63 vs Dallas. He added 3 catches for 38 and a touchdown.

21 for 87 at Pittsburgh. He added 2 catches for 2 yards. 

15 for 46 at New England. He added 1 catch for 2 yards. 

Playoffs 13 for 58 plus 6 for 76 receiving. 

Every other game, 5 plus. 

So in those 6 games, he had 90 rushes for 349 yards and 15 catches for 165 yards.  If you take out that Miami game, the number would look even better, but the point is that you don't have to.  Even his bad games weren't bad. He looked really good almost every single game he played. There's not many backs who do that.  

That's not to say they are going to give him 300 plus carries or 60 plus catches. I would think 1250 rushing, 400 receiving and 8 touchdowns is a pretty reasonable projection.  That's low end rb1 numbers, maybe high end rb1.  There are a lot of backs who could put up those kinds of numbers, and he does have some risk, which makes him a third round type of player, maybe a bit earlier or later. I like him a lot more as my rb2 than rb1. But I like him, and holy cow is he fun to watch. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Endowed said:

The "all you need to know' doesnt work for me as they literally had no other RB on the team worth a carry.  That's when you must secure depth. And of course they always try to draft guys they like.

Going out on a limb here a bit, but I'm thinking maybe it doesn't work for you because of wishful thinking- perhaps you own Singletary in fantasy?

For starters, it isn't true that they literally had no other RB on the team worth a carry. They had TJ Yeldon, signed Taiwan Jones in free agency prior to the draft, and preseason darling Christian Wade. Not a murderers row for sure, but the bench wasn't completely empty behind Singletary.

More importantly, the Bills have their eyes on winning the division-doesn't seem likely that they would spend a 3rd round pick just for depth at what is widely considered one of the most replaceable positions. Even more unusual would be trying to trade up for merely depth at that position. If that's all they wanted, they could have just re-signed Gore, or any number of cheap veteran free agents.

Again, doesn't mean Singletary won't end up the workhorse, but it seems pretty obvious to me that they want Moss to be involved quite a bit.

Edited by humpback
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I am not writing off Moss.  I agree that both will get carries.  This team looks a lot like the Ravens - mobile quarterback, heavy run game with multiple RBs getting touches, decent receiving options if needed, strong defense.  

I just don't think the Bills drafting Moss is a major change for Singletary.  It might cap his upside a little, but not that much.  

First, I see Singletary as a focal point of their offense, just like he was the second half of last year. That wasn't fresh legs - his yards per carry were better in the first half than the second, but his usage went up and he looked up to the task.  He gets explosive runs, he can run inside or out, he catches the ball well.

Second, a lot of people talk about Allen stealing all the goal line carries but I think it's unlikely they design their offense around their QB running everything in. I also think Singletary broke a lot of runs and got tackled at the one or two last year, so there's room for positive regression.  And he missed a few games with injury or getting rested for the playoffs. He was a stud at the goal line in college. I think he has double digit touchdown potential.  It's capped, but not completely. 

Third, there's room for moss to get a lot of touches without hurting Singletary's production.  In the final 8 weeks when Singletary was the clear rb1, he had 131 carries (and 20 catches).  Gore had 85 carries.  So it's not like moss needs to suck for Singletary to flourish.  

Fourth, let's look at Singletary himself.  He averaged over 5 yards per carry, tied for 5th in the NFL.  He averaged 5 yards or more per carry in all but a handful of games.  Here are the ones where he didnt average 5 plus

7 for 26 vs the dolphins in his first game back from injury.  He only got 3 carries and 4 catches the following week. It's safe to say he wasn't 100 percent yet, and this was Gore's revenge game against Miami. 

20 for 95 vs washington. He added 3 catches for 45. 

14 for 63 vs Dallas. He added 3 catches for 38 and a touchdown.

21 for 87 at Pittsburgh. He added 2 catches for 2 yards. 

15 for 46 at New England. He added 1 catch for 2 yards. 

Playoffs 13 for 58 plus 6 for 76 receiving. 

Every other game, 5 plus. 

So in those 6 games, he had 90 rushes for 349 yards and 15 catches for 165 yards.  If you take out that Miami game, the number would look even better, but the point is that you don't have to.  Even his bad games weren't bad. He looked really good almost every single game he played. There's not many backs who do that.  

That's not to say they are going to give him 300 plus carries or 60 plus catches. I would think 1250 rushing, 400 receiving and 8 touchdowns is a pretty reasonable projection.  That's low end rb1 numbers, maybe high end rb1.  There are a lot of backs who could put up those kinds of numbers, and he does have some risk, which makes him a third round type of player, maybe a bit earlier or later. I like him a lot more as my rb2 than rb1. But I like him, and holy cow is he fun to watch. 

I'm not saying it was all because of fresh legs obviously, but how can you dismiss it as a factor? That game vs. Washington where he started getting a much bigger share was week 9 of the NFL- he only had 20 carries on the season prior to that while defenses had been beaten up for half the season already. He didn't hit 100 carries on the season until week 14.

He may reach it, but 1650 total yards and 8 TDs is not a pretty reasonable projection IMO. That's the same number of yards and 2 more TD's than he and Gore had last year combined.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, humpback said:

I'm not saying it was all because of fresh legs obviously, but how can you dismiss it as a factor? That game vs. Washington where he started getting a much bigger share was week 9 of the NFL- he only had 20 carries on the season prior to that while defenses had been beaten up for half the season already.

Well, he had 20 carries for 172 yards and another 9 catches for 58 yards in his first 4 games prior to the game you said started his "fresh legs" momentum, and then he got 20 carries for 95 yards and 3 catches for 45 against washington.  If that was just fresh legs, then you would expect his per attempt metrics to improve against those worn down defenses, not his number of attempts. 

But it wasn't just carry volume. His next game was 8 for 42, then 15 for 75, then 21 for 106 - all 5 ypc or just slightly more.  Which means his first 4 games he averaged 8.6 yards per carry on 5 carries per game, and his next 4 he averaged 5.0 on 16 carries per game.  That looks like a pretty natural progression to me. 

But then he finished his season with 5 straight games against quality teams - Dallas, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England and Houston. These may have been tired defenses, but they were hardly pushovers, and four of those games were on the road. 

80 carries for 443 yards, 18 catches for 157 yards.  He averaged 120 total yards per game. 

I am one of the first to be skeptical of the second half stud, but I don't see anything but a good player who played well all season long. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, humpback said:

For starters, it isn't true that they literally had no other RB on the team worth a carry. They had TJ Yeldon, signed Taiwan Jones in free agency prior to the draft, and preseason darling Christian Wade. Not a murderers row for sure, but the bench wasn't completely empty behind 

That is completely empty.

A 29 year old English rugby player.

A 32 year old kick returner, who the GM said was not part of the RB picture.

And TJ Yeldon on the last year of his contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 10:08 PM, BigSteelThrill said:

And the Bills have to get a RB.

 

They have 2 on their entire roster, unless you include a soon to be 29 year old English rugby player. Taiwan Jones, soon to be 32 years old, was added but when asked about his RB prowess GM Brandon Beane said it was a special teams addition which his 10 carries over the last 4 years attest to.

They were getting a RB early. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Endowed said:

That is completely empty.

A 29 year old English rugby player.

A 32 year old kick returner, who the GM said was not part of the RB picture.

And TJ Yeldon on the last year of his contract.

Yeah, I think it’s pretty fair to describe it as empty. Yeldon was a total afterthought last year for good reason, Wade won’t even make the team again, and Taiwan Jones is pretty clearly nothing more than a special teamer.

I do think the Bills prefer to use a committee, but I also think that they really really like Singletary and view him as their clear #1 barring Moss showing something truly special.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Well, he had 20 carries for 172 yards and another 9 catches for 58 yards in his first 4 games prior to the game you said started his "fresh legs" momentum, and then he got 20 carries for 95 yards and 3 catches for 45 against washington.  If that was just fresh legs, then you would expect his per attempt metrics to improve against those worn down defenses, not his number of attempts. 

But it wasn't just carry volume. His next game was 8 for 42, then 15 for 75, then 21 for 106 - all 5 ypc or just slightly more.  Which means his first 4 games he averaged 8.6 yards per carry on 5 carries per game, and his next 4 he averaged 5.0 on 16 carries per game.  That looks like a pretty natural progression to me. 

But then he finished his season with 5 straight games against quality teams - Dallas, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England and Houston. These may have been tired defenses, but they were hardly pushovers, and four of those games were on the road. 

80 carries for 443 yards, 18 catches for 157 yards.  He averaged 120 total yards per game. 

I am one of the first to be skeptical of the second half stud, but I don't see anything but a good player who played well all season long. 

For starters, I explicitly said that it wasn't all because of fresh legs. Fresh legs doesn't mean your per attempt metrics have to improve, it simply means that you are fresher than your opponents at the time, which gives you an advantage. Has nothing to do with progression, how many attempts or yards he got in what games, or who those opponents were.

I saw a good player who played well all season long as well. I also don't ignore the fact that he had fresh legs while doing so.

Edited by humpback
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Yeah, I think it’s pretty fair to describe it as empty. Yeldon was a total afterthought last year for good reason, Wade won’t even make the team again, and Taiwan Jones is pretty clearly nothing more than a special teamer.

I do think the Bills prefer to use a committee, but I also think that they really really like Singletary and view him as their clear #1 barring Moss showing something truly special.

Even if Moss shows something truly special (unlikely but possible) it's just a 50/50 split at worst because Singletary has already shown something special. With no OTAs this year I put the odds of that happening even lower than normal.

I'm confident Singletary is getting 70% of the snaps this year. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching tape of singletary linked above, and based on why I saw from him last year when I watched the games, I can tell you that I literally wipe my #### with any score he got on athleticism that grades him out poorly.  Singletary’s vision, speed, creativeness, balance, receiving prowess, And general football IQ are off the charts.  He makes defenders look silly.  He always creates extra yards.  He’s got that “it” factor that you want to see in an NFL rb.  He’s going to be very good for a very long time in this league.  Sure, Miss can carve out a role.  But we are looking at singletary being the majority of a time share with miss spelling him and maybe culturing a few GL touches.  I think the bills know what they have in singletary.  Draft status be damned.  Draft is over.  Pierre thomas was undrafted but the saints quickly realized what they had with him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Quote

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia believes the Bills want to get Devin Singletary more involved in the passing game this season.

Singletary averaged 3.4 targets per game as a rookie, but Buscaglia expects that number to rise in 2020 after Singletary produced a pedestrian 29-194-2 line on 41 targets. While it sounds nice that Singletary's receiving output could increase, it just doesn't really fit Josh Allen's playing style. He's not one to check the ball down to running backs all that often. Especially with the addition of Stefon Diggs outside and continued presence of Cole Beasley and even Dawson Knox in the short areas of the field, we doubt Singletary sees a dramatic spike in pass-game production. 

https://theathletic.com/1902467/2020/07/01/askjoeb-joe-buscaglia-on-josh-allens-future-the-patriots-rivalry-and-more/?source=emp_shared_article

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

 

Quote

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

After being outplayed by Zack Moss throughout the 1st week of camp, Singletary had his best day today. “Singletary looked confident and decisive and held on to the ball Sunday. He also appeared explosive.” Beane also referred to him as “the starter”. #Bills

https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1297638821409030150?s=21

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Sigmund Bloom @SigmundBloom

"Rookie running back Zack Moss has gotten more headlines this week (from me, as well), but let me get a plug in for Devin Singletary. I’ve been really impressed with Singletary’s route running...it looks like it’s an area he really concentrated on this off-season"

https://twitter.com/sigmundbloom/status/1297668743317934081?s=21

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia reports Devin Singletary has been having "fumbling issues" in Bills camp. 

Buscaglia has charted Singletary with just two coughups, but they have occurred in "only seven padded practices and not a whole lot of team drills and rushing attempts." Coach Sean McDermott stressed ball security when talking about Singletary on Monday. Singletary had the league's worst fumbling percentage as a rookie. The report comes as rookie Zack Moss continues to generate hype.

https://theathletic.com/2027459/2020/08/27/day-9-at-bills-camp-an-open-discussion-about-social-justice-and-a-scrimmage/

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RushHour said:

Singletary continues to be undervalued and is getting into buy low territory with all this negative camp fluff. 

Saw him tumble to the 6TH in a FBG draft tonight. In for sure at that price.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Trade for him but have him as a throw in. Everyone thinks he's done. He's just getting started. 

Yeah, I think it's clear that it's going to be a full on committee and Moss is getting a lot of hype, but positives for Singletary:

- he was great in his rookie year and why would Buffalo go away from that, unless they are stupid or Moss is SO GOOD it's undeniable (which I think I very unlikely)

- Singletary doesn't need 300 touches to be effective (and neither does Moss)

- Singletary can actually get better too (we forget this about a lot of players)

- yes they drafted Moss, but they had to draft a RB since they had basically nothing on the depth chart. 

- it's training camp. Let's see what happens when the bright lights are on. Singletary has already shown he's good. 

- Buffalo's offense will be run-centric and can support two fantasy backs at a RB2 type level.

The only people who should be concerned as Singletary owners are people who thought he would be a workhorse, which should have been no one. Yes his ceiling is a bit capped due to lack of TD upside, Moss's involvement, but he's still a RB2 with some upside. That's valuable in a position that is pretty rough for supply and demand. 

 

Edited by RushHour
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Trade for him but have him as a throw in. Everyone thinks he's done. He's just getting started. 

I got him for Brady (my QB4) in a superflex. I’m still high on him. He’s a playmaking talent & will get some points consistently. 

redraft I like him anywhere 6 or later. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 5:31 PM, bostonfred said:

https://youtu.be/ZD2T6pwfdZ0

Watch that and tell me he didn't get explosive plays or that he's not a good receiver. He had so many big plays where he got tackled at the one or two.  He could easily have gotten more touchdowns than he did, and I assure you, the Bills do not want their quarterback to be their goal line back. Touchdown regression will swing the other way. 

The Bills didn't prioritize getting someone else to start. They prioritized getting a running back because they had nobody else on the depth chart. They got the last good rb in this draft class once the other good ones were off the board. They got a big body who can play in cold weather games, and a guy who is versatile enough to play well if Singletary misses time.  They got a guy who can compete.  But they didnt draft a replacement. Watch that video and tell me why you would want to replace that.

the second half of this video shows me everything I need to know (in the first half, he's mostly running through gaping holes, which is also a plus, but...).

I'm all in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...