What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devin Singletary, NYG (3 Viewers)

Devin Singletary rushed eight times for 68 yards and a touchdown in Week 15 against the Broncos.

The stat line is misleading, as Singletary had seven carries for 17 yards before Buffalo's final drive of the night. He scored a 51-yard touchdown against a checked-out Broncos defense with under two minutes in the game. Singletary  didn't have much of a role in the pass game, catching all three of his targets for 16 yards. With Zack Moss earning a larger share of the carries, Singletary is a low-floor RB3 for a Week 16 matchup with the Patriots.

Dec 19, 2020, 8:18 PM ET

Devin Singletary rushed 10 times for 36 yards and caught both of his targets for 16 yards in the Bills' Week 16 win over the Patriots.

Singletary made some nifty moves on one of his catches near the end zone. He was narrowly out-touched 13-12 by backfield mate Zack Moss, who turned his looks into 57 yards and a five-yard touchdown run. Singletary and Moss are both TD-dependent RB3's most weeks, and Moss and Josh Allen have the goal-line edge over Singletary.

Dec 28, 2020, 11:25 PM ET

Devin Singletary rushed seven times for 25 yards in the Bills' Divisional Round win over the Ravens.

The Bills completely abandoned the run until the fourth quarter when the game was essentially wrapped up. Buffalo called a designed run just once going into halftime, and it's hard to hate the play-calling. The Bills offense has been far better passing than rushing, and Singletary hasn't done enough between the tackles to justify taking the ball out of Allen's hands. Singletary will be involved as a check-down option in the AFC Championship against the Chiefs or Browns, but he's unlikely to see more than 10 carries even with Zack Moss out.

- Rotoworld

Devin Singletary rushed six times for 17 yards and caught 2-of-3 targets for nine yards in the Bills' AFC Championship loss to the Chiefs.

Singletary split work pretty much down the middle with rookie Zack Moss all season, but Moss missed this game. On the year, Singletary produced a 156-687-2 rushing line, seeing just five more carries than he did last year as a rookie. Singletary added 38-269-0 as a receiver. Touchdowns are always going to be the problem with Moss and Josh Allen ahead of him for looks at the goal line. Singletary looks like an RB3 headed into 2021 fantasy drafts.

- Rotoworld

I am bullish on his Rushing TDs increasing. The guy was incredibly productive in college. At some point you hope he barrels off for 8-10 TD and then you sell him off. Think Legarette Blount.

The only reason I say that is because he scored 66 Touchdowns in 3 years of college. Darrell Henderson is another guy who I feel has a "nose" for the endzone. He's averaged 2 rushing touchdowns the last two years and I bet he has a career year next season. He has the skillset to excel in the space this kind of offense creates.

I don't think this is his career year, so buy low in dynasty. Deangelo Williams is my comparison to this guy. One year he's going to find himself in the right place, in the right offense. He's a deep stash kind of guy. Maybe Moss gets banged up and misses a few games. Deep fodder but definitely rosterable.

CFB Sicko said:
I am bullish on his Rushing TDs increasing. The guy was incredibly productive in college. At some point you hope he barrels off for 8-10 TD and then you sell him off. Think Legarette Blount.

The only reason I say that is because he scored 66 Touchdowns in 3 years of college. Darrell Henderson is another guy who I feel has a "nose" for the endzone. He's averaged 2 rushing touchdowns the last two years and I bet he has a career year next season. He has the skillset to excel in the space this kind of offense creates.

I don't think this is his career year, so buy low in dynasty. Deangelo Williams is my comparison to this guy. One year he's going to find himself in the right place, in the right offense. He's a deep stash kind of guy. Maybe Moss gets banged up and misses a few games. Deep fodder but definitely rosterable.
It's a LOT easier to score TDs in Conference USA against the likes of Middle Tennessee State and Western Kentucky than it is against NFL defenses.

Deangelo Williams was a great athlete who was a 1st round pick, I don't see them as comparable at all. Moss already has been banged up and missed 5 games this year counting the playoffs and Singletary did next to nothing.

I love the guy, but he's simply not cut out to be a workhorse RB in the NFL. It seemed obvious the Bills felt the same way when when they drafted Moss, and I wouldn't be shocked to see them bring in another this offseason as they have to get more out of the running game if they want to take the next step.

zamboni said:
Seems like McDermott has lost faith in Singletary - he had a golden opportunity and did little with it. 
Yep.  When TJ Yeldon -- the human embodiment of "healthy inactive" -- takes over your role in the conference title game, it is blindingly obvious that the coaching staff is unhappy with their RB room.  I would be shocked if the Bills didn't add a RB in the offseason either in the draft or free agency.

Yep.  When TJ Yeldon -- the human embodiment of "healthy inactive" -- takes over your role in the conference title game, it is blindingly obvious that the coaching staff is unhappy with their RB room.  I would be shocked if the Bills didn't add a RB in the offseason either in the draft or free agency.
I guess the question is how much draft capital are they willing to use after spending 3rd round picks on each of Singletary and Moss  the last two years. Fortunately, as we've seen, there are plenty of RBs that can be found in the later rounds (or go undrafted). As for free agency, they don't seem to have a ton of cap space, at least not right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
zamboni said:
Seems like McDermott has lost faith in Singletary - he had a golden opportunity and did little with it. The flash he showed in 2019 seemed to be just that.
He’s not very good. Moss looked better to me in every way, including faster despite being noticeably larger. 

The Bills' official website reports Devin Singletary showed up to last month's mandatory minicamp "looking stronger and feeling faster."

"They're dialed in as far as the details of the job," coach Sean McDermott said of Singletary and Zack Moss, the latter of whom is still recovering from ankle surgery. "Devin, in particular, is really trying to master the small things that come up down in and down out, when you're playing all three downs. Whether it's protection, some of the discipline that comes with those things. I've really been impressed with his attention to detail over the past few days." Per the website, Moss "wasn't too active during OTAs or minicamp." For the second straight summer, the Bills' backfield narrative is that Moss is ready to supplant Singletary. It happened for stretches of 2020, but Singletary ended up winning the touches war and was the last man standing for the postseason following Moss' ankle injury. Moss is far from inevitable, especially since Singletary maintains an advantage in the passing game. The backs' summer ADPs are nearly identical in the low-end RB4 range. 

RELATED: 

Zack Moss

SOURCE: buffalobills.com 

Jul 8, 2021, 6:06 PM ET

So, what do we think the opportunities for Singletary look like?  Is he out and Moss is in?  50/50 split?  

What tier do we rate this cat in and is he worth rostering over some other murky backfields (Phillip Lindsay/Most Jets/New England Patriots/etc.)?

He seems like a guy who isn't getting much buzz had a decent week 1 preseason not so much week 2... 

So, what do we think the opportunities for Singletary look like?  Is he out and Moss is in?  50/50 split?  

What tier do we rate this cat in and is he worth rostering over some other murky backfields (Phillip Lindsay/Most Jets/New England Patriots/etc.)?

He seems like a guy who isn't getting much buzz had a decent week 1 preseason not so much week 2... 
From camp talk, it sounds like he's "1a" in a 3-headed monster of him, Zack Moss, and Matt Breida.  All are expected to have their own roles, but it sounds like Singletary has been a pleasant surprise thus far at camp.  I'm not sure what that means from a fantasy perspective, but I'd say he should be the de facto starting RB if you had to list one as the starter.

I’d rather have Moss of the 3. In a committee, gimme the short-yardage back. 

:confused:   I thought Singletary looked really good in both games, albeit in limited action.  He seems to be running with great confidence and determination.  I observed a pretty substantial drop-off from Singletary to Breida.  That said, this is almost assuredly a RBBC situation between Singletary and Moss, with Breida peppered in.

Fingers crossed…took him a few leagues late hoping he’d continue on his strong preseason…let’s hope he can take advantage of the opportunity.

Devin Singletary rushed 11 times for 26 yards, adding one reception for zero yards in the Bills' Week 3 win over Washington.

Zack Moss was the more productive Bills running back in Week 3, and it appears Buffalo is back to being a true committee after Singletary dominated touches during the first two weeks. As a result, neither Buffalo back is fantasy-viable moving forward unless you're desperate. Both are worth holding onto in case one emerges, whether that be through injury or performance.

Devin Singletary rushed 14 times for 79 yards, adding one reception for seven yards, in Buffalo's Week 4 win against the Texans.

Singletary had a 41-yard run called back at the start of the third quarter on a holding penalty that didn't seem to impact the play, then fumbled just outside the red zone with 20 minutes left and was not unearthed again until a final drive that featured Mitch Trubisky. Weird game to read into. It's worth noting that Zack Moss was the first back on the field and that he had five red zone carries to Singletary's one. Singletary remains a RB3/FLEX play at best until his platoon with Moss resolves one way or another.

I don't get it

5.1 yards per carry  no fumbles ..... not the best at pass catching but his rival Moss has a 4 ypc and not much better at catching balls as far as completions/caught ..and a fumble lost

why does BUF go to Moss so much ?

Picked him up in a trade throw in. Not sure what to make of Moss' sudden increase in work load over him. 

I don't get it

5.1 yards per carry  no fumbles ..... not the best at pass catching but his rival Moss has a 4 ypc and not much better at catching balls as far as completions/caught ..and a fumble lost

If you watch the games, it becomes very obvious who the better running back is on that team. It's not even debatable... Moss all day. I imagine that Singletary's YPC average is being propped up by a couple of long runs.

Picked him up in a trade throw in. Not sure what to make of Moss' sudden increase in work load over him. 
Moss is a better all around RB. The same thing happened last year down the stretch where more of the playing time shifted to Moss. This year, Singletary had a great camp and was given more playing time, while Moss was hurt and seemingly in the doghouse. Things have seemingly reverted to last year.

Moss is a better all around RB. The same thing happened last year down the stretch where more of the playing time shifted to Moss. This year, Singletary had a great camp and was given more playing time, while Moss was hurt and seemingly in the doghouse. Things have seemingly reverted to last year.
I seem to remember having Moss last year and getting pissed off each week when Singletary got the work. But last year was an all around mess. 

I don't get it

My gut tells me that this has been a bit of a show of support by the staff for Moss. After his scratch in week 1 it was pretty obvious they chose to overfeed him a bit in week 2. I feel like the teams decisions in week 1 and week 2 were moves to motivate him. Then, after his fumble in one of the early early games, they kind of did the same thing. They gave him the ball a lot immediately following, when a lot of the time that RB would sit for a bit when he's so close to even with his alternate. 

My gut tells me that this has been a bit of a show of support by the staff for Moss. After his scratch in week 1 it was pretty obvious they chose to overfeed him a bit in week 2. I feel like the teams decisions in week 1 and week 2 were moves to motivate him. Then, after his fumble in one of the early early games, they kind of did the same thing. They gave him the ball a lot immediately following, when a lot of the time that RB would sit for a bit when he's so close to even with his alternate. 
Or….they are using Moss now exactly the same way they used him the 2nd half of last season.

I don't get it

I think this is a poor man's Cleveland, with

- Chubb > Moss,

- Hunt > Singletary, and

- Mayfield <<<< Allen

Or….they are using Moss now exactly the same way they used him the 2nd half of last season.
I must be misremembering because Singletary didn't have a single game in the second half of the season where he got less carries or yards than Moss. 

once again Singletary outplayed Moss

Singletary 5 for 27    5.4 average and caught 5 of 5 passes

Moss 8 for 24    3.0 average and caught 2 of 4 passes

Holding him for now. I have Elliot and Henderson but after that it's thin. I tried offering the Moss owner Singletary for Michel straight up and he didn't bite. 

He was dropped in a 12 man and I saw some interest in him once waivers ran, My league at least has 3 interested parties atm. I expect that # to climb once we see this Dolphins game, Bills are 14 point favorites. Singletary will look very appealing for flex and during the byes if it all goes to plan. I'll try to trade him after this week if possible.

Holding him for now. I have Elliot and Henderson but after that it's thin. I tried offering the Moss owner Singletary for Michel straight up and he didn't bite. 
He ended up trading me Moss for Collins. So now I'm in this backfield but not sure when to play them. 

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who owns a Bills RB and has expectations it will work out in their favor.
I don't get it. I have Moss and he is exceeding my expectations.

Drafted him 10.9 (12, super-flex redraft) as my #4 RB behind Sermon, we know how that worked out, and ahead of James White, we know how that worked out too.

He averages 10.9 ppg which is good for 19th in my league. He is the perfect bye week fill in (starting for Jacobs this week) and potential flex starter.

He gets 13.6 opportunities per game and doesn't need an injury to be relevant.

Singletary has disappointed to a degree (drafted as a #3 RB and performing as a #4) but that is only because the TDs have not come yet. He gets 13 opportunities/game, including 3 targets (Moss gets 2.8) and averages 5+ ypc. Those are bye week/flex level opportunities. A correction will come.

I don't get it. I have Moss and he is exceeding my expectations.

Drafted him 10.9 (12, super-flex redraft) as my #4 RB behind Sermon, we know how that worked out, and ahead of James White, we know how that worked out too.

He averages 10.9 ppg which is good for 19th in my league. He is the perfect bye week fill in (starting for Jacobs this week) and potential flex starter.

He gets 13.6 opportunities per game and doesn't need an injury to be relevant.

Singletary has disappointed to a degree (drafted as a #3 RB and performing as a #4) but that is only because the TDs have not come yet. He gets 13 opportunities/game, including 3 targets (Moss gets 2.8) and averages 5+ ypc. Those are bye week/flex level opportunities. A correction will come.
Being #19 or whatever on a ppg basis sounds nice on the surface, but if we're going to cherry pick, very few people started him in week 2 (when there weren't any bye issues and very few injuries, plus after being a healthy scratch in week 1), so you could remove that game as well. Also, there are plenty of guys who may be lower on a ppg basis for the whole season, but they've put up similar/better numbers for the games where they were clearly going to get a larger workload.

Singletary hasn't cracked double digits in full PPR since week 2, and while that may be because the TDs haven't come, you can remove the "yet" part- he's had only 2 rushing TDs each of his first 2 seasons in the league. The combo of he and Moss only had 6 rushing TDs last year, and he and Gore combined for 4 the year before- there is no "correction", this is how it goes in Buffalo. You're hoping for a change.

Now, if you have the roster space and can hold one or both in case there's an injury, you may end up with a decent FF RB, but no one should feel confident in either player even as a flex/fill in while they are both active.

Being #19 or whatever on a ppg basis sounds nice on the surface, but if we're going to cherry pick, very few people started him in week 2 (when there weren't any bye issues and very few injuries, plus after being a healthy scratch in week 1), so you could remove that game as well. Also, there are plenty of guys who may be lower on a ppg basis for the whole season, but they've put up similar/better numbers for the games where they were clearly going to get a larger workload.

Singletary hasn't cracked double digits in full PPR since week 2, and while that may be because the TDs haven't come, you can remove the "yet" part- he's had only 2 rushing TDs each of his first 2 seasons in the league. The combo of he and Moss only had 6 rushing TDs last year, and he and Gore combined for 4 the year before- there is no "correction", this is how it goes in Buffalo. You're hoping for a change.

Now, if you have the roster space and can hold one or both in case there's an injury, you may end up with a decent FF RB, but no one should feel confident in either player even as a flex/fill in while they are both active.
But no one drafted Zach Moss or Devin Singletary to start in week 2, if you had them starting week two then something went horribly wrong.

I drafted him to cover byes, which he's doing for me this week and to maybe be an occasional flex if things didn't work out with other draftees or maybe if Zack Moss emerged as something better than I thought.

You don't draft points you draft opportunities. Singletary and Moss are providing the opportunities that you drafted them for. If you drafted them to be your number one or number two running back that was a mistake. But I doubt many people did that.

Just because they haven't emerge as your super sleeper lottery pick candidate doesn't mean it was a mistake of a draft pick.

Of course both of them are droppable depending on your circumstances but at this point in the season I don't think there's anything on my wire that I would do it for, your mileage may vary of course.

There also isn't one outlier game that's propping up Moss's points per game average he's been reasonably consistent. .

He's had 10, 16, 15, 15 & 12 opportunities per game for 15, 15, 10, 9 & 4 points.

Where's the outlier? A 15-point game? That means you also get to exclude the four-point game because that's how statistics work.

Moss may not pan out as a bye week filler this week for me but that's how it goes in magic football.

Moss hasn’t had a Top 24 game since Week 3. Consistent at eh.

He’s exceeded your expectations @Chaka bc as you admit you had none. My point was bc the Bills offense is predicated on Allen and the passing game - you cannot reliably start either (or any) Bills RB.

You said the touchdowns will come. He has 4 in 5 games. You thinking he should be scoring at King Henry’s rate? GL with that.

Anyway, rock on brother.

Users who are viewing this thread