What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You are tasked with building a second Mt. Rushmore... (1 Viewer)

butcher boy

Footballguy
...and you have to pick 4 new presidents to feature on it.  Who do you pick?  Here are mine.

Ronald Reagan - Stood up to the USSR and ended the Cold War.  Tax cuts across the board causing an economic boom.  Advocated for small government 

Calvin Coolidge -  His presidency was a monument to governmental thrift and the economy boomed as a result.  

Dwight Eisenhower - Presided over a post-war economic boom.  America emerged as a global superpower during his presidency.  Championed against deficit spending.  Gets credit for the Interstate highway system.  

George W. Bush - Bush tax cuts, great Supreme Court nominees, and incredible response to 9/11 earn him a spot despite his excessive spending.   

Bush's legacy is already tainted, thanks largely to President Trump. Bush's favorable approval numbers were built upon the belief that the Iraq War was justified and that the Afghanistan War would be limited and would lead to democracy. But Trump successfully destroyed those talking points and convinced Republicans to believe what Democrats have been saying for years, and Bush will never be seen in the same light again. Also, Bush was president when the Great Recession started, so he's out.

Reagan's legacy is also overrated. He spent the country into TWO recessions -- he was bailed out the first time by Mondale's promise to raise taxes, and he avoided backlash the 2nd time because it took a couple years after he left office for his reckless spending habits to catch up to the economy.

That said, if I have to pick 4 new presidents, it would be:

Eisenhower - solid leader.

FDR - you can argue all you want about whether his big government ideas prolonged the recession; bottom line is that he led us to victory in WW2.

Madison - wrote the Constitution

John Adams - co-wrote the Declaration Of Independence and wrote the precursor to the Constitution.

So as to not be boring:

Jimmy Polk

FDR

JFK/LBJ two face kinda deal

W.  just kidding he was horrible. The real last answer would be another Jimmy (Madison)

Add another vote for Adams/Madison/FDR/Ike.

Wouldn't be opposed to swapping out one of Adams/Madison for Polk.

I could also make a case for Obama. Less on the grounds of his accomplishments as president but more recognizing the significance of the nations first black president.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the original Mt. Rushmore. But if I had to pick four additional Presidents, I'd go with:

Franklin D. Roosevelt (WWII)

Harry Truman (Marshall Plan, Truman Doctrine, NATO)

Dwight Eisenhower (NASA, civil rights, opposition to McCarthyism, opposition to deficit-spending in service of the military-industrial complex)

Barrack Obama (first Kenyan-born President, Obamacare, repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, presided over the end of the Great Recession, promoted acceptance of same-sex marriage)

You can make a case for Woodrow Wilson (WWI, banking reform), but he's really a mixed bag -- pretty bad on civil rights, for example.

I like the original Mt. Rushmore. But if I had to pick four additional Presidents, I'd go with:

Dwight Eisenhower (NASA, civil rights, opposition to McCarthyism, opposition to deficit-spending in service of the military-industrial complex)

Barrack Obama (first Kenyan-born President, Obamacare, repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, presided over the end of the Great Recession, promoted acceptance of same-sex marriage)

You can make a case for Woodrow Wilson (WWI, banking reform), but he's really a mixed bag -- pretty bad on civil rights, for example.
This is my list, exactly. 

I can’t make a case for Woodrow, sorry. Most overrated President in American history. 

Wilson was super racist, right? I don't think that would be a very good choice.

fdr is a no brainer and so is truman i think jfk gets on for the space program the civil rights act the cuban missle crisis nuke treaty with the soviets and in general for being an inspiration leader ask not what your country can do for you bromigos and finally i would go with ike even though that means four guys that served in a row were up there i might honestly put obama in place of ike in another twenty years depending on how history views the aca and same sex relationship noramization take that to the bank bromigos   

as a note i think wanting either taylor or polk who were both solid presidents would not fly now given that they were slave owners agree or dont that is a practical reality take that to the bank bromigos 

George W. Bush - Bush tax cuts, great Supreme Court nominees, and incredible response to 9/11 earn him a spot despite his excessive spending.   
Hmm, I feel like maybe a couple other things might have happened during Bush's presidency. Funny how you forgot to mention those.

Looks like FDR and Ike are Ike are first ballot.  Can't argue with that.  We could use someone with their vision again.

Dedfin said:
So as to not be boring:

Jimmy Polk

FDR

JFK/LBJ two face kinda deal

W.  just kidding he was horrible. The real last answer would be another Jimmy (Madison)
Which one is scary face?

Lincoln

FDR

Eisenhower

Truman

Edit: yes, I want a second Lincoln, because the South appears to have forgotten about losing the war.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is hi-jacking, but it doesn't seem new thread worthy. A discussion I've had with friends before is who would you select for your Mount Rushmore to embody the spirit of America (explicitly not limiting to presidents/politics). To kick things off:

1. I want a political figure and I think there's only once choice. First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen. George Washington.

2. I want someone to represent the arts and who better than the quintessential American author. Mark Twain.

3. The business of America is business so I want someone to represent that. Many good choices here but since we are a nation of immigrants. Andrew Carnegie.

4. I want someone to represent the struggle for Civil Rights. Lots of choices here so I want someone who can check multiple boxes. Consider the dominant place sports has in our culture and considering the fact that America is a nation that has always loved a rebellious spirit, I give the last spot to Muhammad Ali.

Maybe because it could be viewed as a monument to intolerance and bigotry.
Only to those who don't understand it's purpose.  It could also be viewed as a monument to national security.

That's like saying Mt. Rushmore is a monument to racism since George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned slaves.  

Users who are viewing this thread