What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 Cops Shot in Houston, Police Union Head Promises to ‘Track’ Those Who Criticize Police (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
:(

I thought in this country we are allowed to criticize the police.

Seems a little draconian and wasteful of time and resources.

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/houston-police-officers-shot-track-police/

After 4 Cops Shot in Houston, Police Promise to Go After and ‘Track’ Those Who Criticize Police

Houston, TX — Four Houston police officers were shot on Monday during a drug raid on a suspected heroin dealer’s home. Luckily, the officers are all expected to survive although two of the officers are in critical condition. The two suspected drug dealers were both shot and killed during the raid.

[...]

After the raid, Houston police chief Art Acevedo and the Texas governor issued statements decrying the “horrific attack” on police officers and “asked for prayers.”

After the governor and the chief issued their statements of support for the officers and asked folks to keep them in their thoughts, Houston Police Officers’ Union President Joe Gamaldi went on the offensive, noting that “we’ve had enough!”

“We are sick and tired of dirt bags trying to take our lives when all we’re trying to do is protect this community and our families,” he said. “Enough is enough.”

[...]

“If you’re the ones that are out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy, just know we’ve all got your number now, we’re going to be keeping track of all of y’all, and we’re going to make sure that we hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers. We’ve had enough, folks. We’re out there doing our jobs every day, putting our lives on the line for our families.”

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
This was tragic, but what am I missing here? Wasn’t this a drug raid gone bad?
Here are some details from above article I edited out to lessen scrolling:

On Monday afternoon, around 5:00 pm, a dozen SWAT team members with Houston’s narcotics department, along with six other patrol officers descended on a Pecan Park home to serve a search warrant. According to police, their undercover agents had purchased black tar heroin from the home several times before the raid.

As police approached the door, however, the suspects inside opened fire and 4 of the officers were shot. Another officer injured his knee during the raid, but was not shot. During the exchange, the two suspects were both shot and killed.

This was tragic, but what am I missing here? Wasn’t this a drug raid gone bad?
That's the original story, but there's a lot to still be uncovered, IMO.

Supposedly the suspects were selling black-tar heroin out of the house but only a small amount of weed was found.

Seems like a disconnect between what he is saying ("if you criticize us, we will hold you accountable"), and the facts of this shooting (police executing warrant get shot by bad guys).  I get that he's ultra-sensitive and feels under attack, but these guys got shot doing their job, which is incredibly dangerous.  This was NOT some nut egged on by Facebook drama.

This police officer is a complete idiot!

I'll wait for this morons his investigation into me!

“If you’re the ones that are out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy, just know we’ve all got your number now, we’re going to be keeping track of all of y’all, and we’re going to make sure that we hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers. We’ve had enough, folks. We’re out there doing our jobs every day, putting our lives on the line for our families.”
This guy is upset, angry, distraught. I have seen public officials track public commentary in Louisiana - and even sue to find the names of critics and whistleblowers. In Houma the Sheriff actually arrested someone for "criminal libel", seriously. However I don't think the chief meant that here.

Shooting 4 of them is not criticizing them.  Give the guy a break.  Come back when he actually does something who only criticizes them.
:mellow:

Wat? How do you come up with that from what I said?

He stated that they will now be monitoring people who criticize the police. And how would anyone even know in the future if they are being tracked (I doubt that the Houston PD will make a list on their website) unless it results in harassment from surveillance or comes out after the fact in some arrest?

Gamaldi expanded on his statement in on-air interview with Fox26 on Tuesday, saying, "We've never had anything like this happen in our history before, to have four officers shot at one time. I was just trying to verbalize what exactly all of our officers are feeling and what law enforcement is feeling across the country right now."

Gamaldi hopes his strong words will be heard by citizens and officials across the country. "We need to speak out about the harmful, false narrative that has been made about police officers. We're the good guys, folks. We're out there trying to protect our communities every day," he told Fox26.

Gamaldi also spoke about the support HPD has received from the community. "Once again, Houston shows why we are the best city in the world. The outpouring of support has been incredible," he said.

Moving forward, what can Houston residents do to continue showing their support during this tragic time?

"If you see a police officer out there today, go up and shake their hand and say, 'thank you.' I guarantee you'll make that officer's day, and probably his week," he told Fox26.

liberals bash police whenever they can - media puts officers in the bad light any chance they get

I don't mind that he said that at all - because he's right. Have ya'll forgotten BLM and the shootings that happened a short 2 years ago ?

liberals bash police whenever they can - media puts officers in the bad light any chance they get

I don't mind that he said that at all - because he's right. Have ya'll forgotten BLM and the shootings that happened a short 2 years ago ?
Everyone understands this cop's frustration, he can't say this.

True conservatives would agree.

Clearly an emotional reaction, overreaching in it's message.  But, he’s the Union president, so he’s not actually speaking on behalf of the city police department with regards to actual policy changes/initiatives. 

If you’re the ones that are out there spreading the rhetoric that liberals are the enemy, just know we’ve all got your number now, we’re going to be keeping track of all of y’all, and we’re going to make sure that we hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on us liberals. We’ve had enough, folks. 

Heeeeere we go again.

Conservatives support Nazis whenever they can. Conservative media hates freedom.

Those good equivalencies for you, SC? Sound about right?  Please stop this trash.

Shooting 4 of them is not criticizing them.  Give the guy a break.  Come back when he actually does something who only criticizes them.
This. The guy/ department/ city is devastated, outraged and wants blood. I would too.  You say dumb stuff when you're overcome with emotion like that. Let's cut him a break and make a giant stink if anything like what he threatened actually happens.

Gamaldi doubled down on Fox and Friends:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/30/houston-police-union-president-media/

THEY ‘PUT TARGETS ON OUR BACKS’: HOUSTON POLICE UNION PRESIDENT TAKES AIM AT ‘TALKING HEADS’ IN MEDIA

Houston Police Union President Joe Gamaldi took media to task on Wednesday, saying that “talking heads” were partly responsible for the anti-police sentiment that seems to be growing.

During his Wednesday morning appearance on “Fox & Friends,” Gamaldi doubled down on recent comments calling out those who would drive a wedge between police officers and the communities they serve.

“I’m talking to the talking heads on some of these mainstream media outlets,” he explained. “I’m talking to the activists who have severely … just made our officers the enemy. They have put targets on our backs. The statistics show it. We have seen 50-percent increase from 2013 to 2016 in officers being killed by gunfire.”

Gamaldi traced the root of the problem back to Ferguson, Missouri, and the 2014 shooting involving Michael Brown and police officer Darren Wilson — and the false narrative that quickly grew out of that situation, sparking months of protests and unrest.

He continued:

What was that seminal moment that changed it all? Well, 2014, when we had “hands up, don’t shoot” in Ferguson. Which, by the way, was a completely false narrative. And they continue to beat the drum on that. And you know what? It was a complete farce. Don’t take my word for it. Go ahead and look at the report that Eric Holder and the Obama administration released from their Justice Department that said it was a complete myth. But in the meantime, we have been cast as the bad guys.
Gamaldi went on to say that he believed there is an agenda behind the narrative — namely, to reduce police legitimacy and “drive a wedge” between the communities and the officers who serve them. 

He then issued a call to arms to other officers and leadership within the police unions across the country, saying:

I’m asking every single police union leader across the country speak up when people start these harmful narratives. Make sure would hold them accountable. It’s funny because everybody wants to increase accountability on police officers, which is a good thing and we welcome it. Yet, when I say accountability to talking heads in the media or activists suddenly it’s a four-letter word and nobody wants to use it.
[...]

This. The guy/ department/ city is devastated, outraged and wants blood. I would too.  You say dumb stuff when you're overcome with emotion like that. Let's cut him a break and make a giant stink if anything like what he threatened actually happens.
Nah.  He just sounds like a tool.  Sorry.

What is this guy talking about? He thinks talking heads are the reason officers got shot during a drug raid? Has nothing to do with you raiding their house to arrest them for the illegal activities they’ve been doing and not wanting to face the consequences. No it’s really because they just hate the police.

What is this guy talking about? He thinks talking heads are the reason officers got shot during a drug raid? Has nothing to do with you raiding their house to arrest them for the illegal activities they’ve been doing and not wanting to face the consequences. No it’s really because they just hate the police.
So it appears. His point seems to be, that if not for the mainstream media putting a target on their backs, these cops would not have been shot and the blame can be traced back directly to the "hands up, don’t shoot” narrative from Ferguson. And that is quite a stretch IMO.

It's not news anchors giving cops a bad name, it's vest cameras and the fact that everyone has a smart phone now. Just like one bad illegal immigrant makes some people refer to all of them as invading criminals, some people see one cop using deadly or excessive force on a person who doesn't deserve it and thinks all cops are bad. It's unfair in both cases.

Everyone understands this cop's frustration, he can't say this
he didn't drop m'fer on anyone, did he ?

“We are sick and tired of dirt bags trying to take our lives when all we’re trying to do is protect this community and our families,” he said. “Enough is enough.”

he's got the backs of all LEO's when he says this and he's outlining how important the community and families are. Nothing wrong with that.

accountability for those who would throw LEO's under the bus - nothing wrong with that either

he didn't drop m'fer on anyone, did he ?

he's got the backs of all LEO's when he says this and he's outlining how important the community and families are. Nothing wrong with that.

accountability for those who would throw LEO's under the bus - nothing wrong with that either
They can’t be using this type of language. Got to be better than that. 

And how exactly will these people he wants to track be held accountable?

This union rep is using a tragedy to push an agenda unrelated to the circumstances of the tragedy. Pretty lousy of him to do.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
13 minutes ago, squistion said:

And how exactly will these people he wants to track be held accountable?
ask him - he said it, not me
So you quoted him, approving of his remarks, but had no idea what he meant by accountability? Why am I not surprised.

4 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

accountability for those who would throw LEO's under the bus - nothing wrong with that either.

You don't care that an American LEO just told the public that if they exercised the 1st Amendment rights they would be "held accountable"?  Seriously?
not really no

I didn't see his words as a threat to anyone, I heard his words to be accountability (the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.) for those who hate law enforcement -

and that hate is real toward officers sad to say - and the media and people who spread it? they need labeled and called what they are

To be “held accountable” requires some form of action.  While you said you don’t know what he means by his words, you expressed agreement with them.  Maybe there’s no explicit action implied by the Police Union prez, but it would seem you’ve inferred stuff from his words.  How would you define being “held accountable” here?

not really no

I didn't see his words as a threat to anyone, I heard his words to be accountability (the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.) for those who hate law enforcement -

and that hate is real toward officers sad to say - and the media and people who spread it? they need labeled and called what they are
What does it mean to you when a cop says they are going to hold a person accountable? What do you think this officer meant?

It just serves notice that maybe police knows that there are anti-police groups out there and this intentional targeting isn't going to be allowed?

maybe it's a heads up that if you're anti-police you're not going to be attacking a group anymore who sits hush mouthed and does nothing?

what exactly he meant? ask him ........... but if people don't think all the things the left has said towards Trump in 2 years was over the top and uncalled for, I think its really hard for those same people to see what was said here and go bonkers because of it

just my opinion, I'm not anti-Police so what he said doesn't bother me. Fascist?  as we see of Fed Govt sending more firepower to arrest someone at his mansion for maybe lying to Congress than Houston sent to a heroin drug ghetto and you're worried MORE about what a police chief said?

look deeper ........ Houston Police isn't your enemy

just my opinion, I'm not anti-Police so what he said doesn't bother me. Fascist?  as we see of Fed Govt sending more firepower to arrest someone at his mansion for maybe lying to Congress than Houston sent to a heroin drug ghetto and you're worried MORE about what a police chief said?

No one here is anti-Police. Please. The problem is with his wanting to monitor anyone 24/7 who criticizes police departments or LEOs, which seems like something out of the J. Edgar Hoover playbook and has fascist overtones.

he's surprised heroine dealers shot back?

if he says it right after the incident, i chalk it up to grief.  keep doubling down days later and the guy should be fired.

It just serves notice that maybe police knows that there are anti-police groups out there and this intentional targeting isn't going to be allowed?

maybe it's a heads up that if you're anti-police you're not going to be attacking a group anymore who sits hush mouthed and does nothing?

what exactly he meant? ask him ........... but if people don't think all the things the left has said towards Trump in 2 years was over the top and uncalled for, I think its really hard for those same people to see what was said here and go bonkers because of it

First, I don't believe there are "anti-police" groups - certainly not in the media or talking heads.  There are anti-BAD police and we should all want bad cops off the streets.  Even the good cops should want that.

Second, I don't for one minute believe these 4 officers were shot during a drug raid because some talking head bad mouthed a cop.

Third, no one should feel threatened over voicing opinions.  Especially from LEOs.  'Merica. 

I know this has been explained to you before but that's called a straw man.  I never said anything about Trump or Stone or the actual raid. Don't put words in my mouth.

A LEO just issued some sort of "warning" to the public that they will be "held accountable" for expressing their right to free speech (and petition possibly).  That's fascist.  And you said you don't care.  

You support this fascist behavior.  Period.

Users who are viewing this thread