What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fitness Talk - Peloton vs Rower? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hey Guys,

Excellent info on the Peloton bike in this thread. You guys rock.

Question, I've also been considering a stationary rower.

Anyone have opinions there?

Both on: 

Which one? Seems like the Concept2 and the Nordic Track are popular. 

And maybe mostly, how does the workout compare to something like the Peloton?

I"m familiar with cycling. Did a couple of Ironman's a while back and did a good bit of indoor training (my bike on a stationary trainer, not a Peloton).

But I've never done any rowing. My thought would be rowing would be more "complete" exercise involving more muscle groups. I know some people love it. But I think stationary bikes are way more popular. 

Thoughts? Thanks.

Joe - you just gave away a million dollar idea.  A Bryant Boat rower in the living room of your chalet overlooking the Alps isn’t something you just hand over to the masses.

I remember reading a while back that rowing is one of a handful of exercises that burns more calories than running, because as you alluded to, if done properly, it's more of a full body grind. We have the Concept 2 at my gym and I do that in the winter months when it's cold and nasty outside, or when I just don't feel like running.  You can do timed or distance-measured workouts using the on-board computer. I didn't do any research before hand, I just sat down one day and did 5K (with a couple of water breaks :lol:  ). It took about 25-30 minutes and my legs were jelly when I was done. It's a good workout. :thumbup:  

Why not both?

I recently bought the Sunny Health rower from Amazon for just over $200.

I was half expecting a rickety pos. But this thing is actually really well made.

Glides smooth / very quiet. Easy tension adjustment.

Digital display is small and limited but I can live without the fancy electronics.

Why not both?

I was half expecting a rickety pos. But this thing is actually really well made.

Glides smooth / very quiet. Easy tension adjustment.

Digital display is small and limited but I can live without the fancy electronics.
this one? https://smile.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Magnetic-SF-RW5515/dp/B017HSNIEW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1548972258&sr=1-3&keywords=sunny+health+rowing+machine

Being introduced to Concept2 is probably the best thing to come out of my crossfit days, those things are legit aerobic workouts when you don’t feel like running

Yup. No idea why it's so cheap. Seems like they're trying to blow them out ... maybe to make room for a new model?

I suppose it's a bit out-dated compared to some of the newer stuff.

I'm more about function than style so this one was ideal.

Easy to put together. Even comes with the little tools that you need.

... and stainless steel hardware ... so the bolts wont get rusty in my dank basement.

The price seemed to good to be true so I talked myself into getting the insurance / extended warranty deal for $30 ... but in hindsight, probably not going to need it.

Timely thread.  I recently began considering adding a rower to my home gym.  Seems like a great workout that my knees could handle.   

Rower I think gives a bit more all over workout. Bike though always feels like it burns more calories to me. My unscientific study. Beware the Rower. Though those things are tricky on the back, it least it was for me. 

My go to machine: Versaclimber

I got a Concept2 last Christmas and have been very happy with it over the last year.  Until then, I'd been really streaky with my workouts (other than a pretty basic but consistent home lifting routine).  I like running with my dog, but not a huge fan when it's too hot in the summer or too cold/snowy in the winter. When I was looking into machines, the whole-body workout aspect of the rower was definitely a big plus, but the biggest thing was that I thought it was the one machine I'd actually use the most.  While I've always hated treadmills and only begrudgingly use other machines, I actually like the feeling of rowing.

I'm also a pretty solitary exerciser, so the virtual trainers, live racing, etc stuff doesn't appeal to me.  Headphones and a small tv with a firestick attached and I'm good.

I'm also a pretty solitary exerciser, so the virtual trainers, live racing, etc stuff doesn't appeal to me.  Headphones and a small tv with a firestick attached and I'm good.
I'm actually laughing at myself here reading through the peloton thread.  All those things that motivate a lot of people - leaderboards, live trainers, community sending each other high fives and such - would be such a turn off to me.  I'm probably even more antisocial than I thought.   :)

I'm actually laughing at myself here reading through the peloton thread.  All those things that motivate a lot of people - leaderboards, live trainers, community sending each other high fives and such - would be such a turn off to me.  I'm probably even more antisocial than I thought.   :)
I also work out solo. Basic equipment in my basement. Weight bench with squat rack. Elliptical. Treadmill, Rowing machine (new), and a Boom box with bluetooth.

I have no use for a gym and the wasted time to get there and home (I live in the woods).

My motto;  I treat people the way I want to be treated .... I leave them alone.

I don't doubt that rowing burns more calories per minute than cycling but I just can't see being on the rowing machine anywhere near the amount of time as a bike.  On a bike a 45 minute workout is a short workout and they go up to 60 or even 90 minute workouts that are still reasonable.  But 15 minutes on a rower and I just can't feel like going any more.

I don't doubt that rowing burns more calories per minute than cycling but I just can't see being on the rowing machine anywhere near the amount of time as a bike.  On a bike a 45 minute workout is a short workout and they go up to 60 or even 90 minute workouts that are still reasonable.  But 15 minutes on a rower and I just can't feel like going any more.
I'm not sure about rowing burning more calories.  It's definitely easier to get the heart rate up and keep it there on the bike (at least for me).  

Second vouch for Sunny as cost effective alternative.. I bought a spin bike of theirs before I bought the Peloton.  ~$350, quiet, solid.. I liked it.

Went that route before I bought the Peloton as a test for my wife and I regarding use.

I'm not sure about rowing burning more calories.  It's definitely easier to get the heart rate up and keep it there on the bike (at least for me).  
https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/g19546016/10-exercises-that-burn-more-calories-than-running/

A 185-pound guy can burn 377 calories during 30 minutes of vigorous rowing, or about 12.5 calorie per minute, reports a Harvard University study.
Average pace running is ~10 calories per minute. Like anything else, the pace/intensity of course will yield different results. 

Rower I think gives a bit more all over workout. Bike though always feels like it burns more calories to me. My unscientific study. Beware the Rower. Though those things are tricky on the back, it least it was for me. 

My go to machine: Versaclimber
looks like a great workout. which model do you have?

If this was the only exercise I was going to do, as in no weight lifting or anything else to augment it, I guess I'd choose the rowing machine for the upper-body benefit. Not close otherwise though, and I've done plenty of both. For me 30 minutes on the Concept2 feels like an eternity. Great workout and I like to mix it in occasionally but I can't see myself doing 30 min+ five times a week. And I'm specifically comparing to Peloton, might have the same issue with passing time on a regular stationary bike.

looks like a great workout. which model do you have?
It's at the gym I go to. Not sure the model but they have had them for a few years so not the newest ones. 

I typically do the lunch workout so need to get going pretty quick. The thing I like about it is you can do a few short (5-10 minutes) and get the job done. 

Concept 2 is a great rower. It's what we trained on when I was on my college rowing team. I bought a rower a few years ago and decided to go with the Waterrower. For me, it came down to noise level. The Waterrower is just so much quieter when I'm rowing. I don't have to blast my music or TV to hear it.

ETA: Neither the COncept 2 or the Waterrower has the screen and trainers like on the Nordic Track. Waterrower does have a partnership of sorts with City Row and their app. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't really say if it's worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concept 2 is a great rower. It's what we trained on when I was on my college rowing team. I bought a rower a few years ago and decided to go with the Waterrower. For me, it came down to noise level. The Waterrower is just so much quieter when I'm rowing. I don't have to blast my music or TV to hear it.

ETA: Neither the COncept 2 or the Waterrower has the screen and trainers like on the Nordic Track. Waterrower does have a partnership of sorts with City Row and their app. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't really say if it's worthwhile.
Thanks. Knowing what you know, would you buy the waterrower again today?

Does it have any other advantages other than quiet?

Does Concept2 have any advantages over waterrower?

Thanks.

Thanks. Knowing what you know, would you buy the waterrower again today?

Does it have any other advantages other than quiet?

Does Concept2 have any advantages over waterrower?

Thanks.
I've been very happy with the waterrower. I would definitely buy it again. Outside of the quiet, I'd say they're pretty comparable. Price wise, I think they're pretty close...the waterrower may be $100 or so more. The waterrower looks nicer IMO because of the wood frame. The only maintenance I've ever had to do on it is putting a chlorine tab in the water tank about every 6 months or so. I did see that waterrower has attachments now that you can mount a phone or tablet to watch or use the City Row app.

I picked out https://gymequipmentcenter.com/best-rowing-machine-under-500/ The main thing worth paying attention to is the size and resistance levels. Initially, it seemed to me extremely inconvenient to use the Rowing Machine in the gym, as I am high and the amplitude of the movement was not complete. But with the right equipment, the training gives a good result.

Users who are viewing this thread